Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAbyss13
Stranger
 User Gallery
Not sure what I am doing wrong. Some contamination and stalled jars
    #26067727 - 06/22/19 04:12 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

age][

First, if you take the time to read this... thank you so much. This community on here is amazing. It is much appreciated!

I have been following Ziran's "Updated PF-Tek Guide" - https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24179086 to make my jars.

My first attempt around May 3rd with 8 jars, 5 became contaminated similar to the attached photo. 2 have stalled (see attached photo) and 1 was added to coir. May 29th I tried again with 4 jars and 3 became contaminated (2 of them are in the attached photo).

So some of my questions are,
- Is there a common mistake that could lead to this type of contamination? I feel like I am missing some small step or not doing it well enough. Such as the sterilization steaming of the jars. I lower the heat to a simmer after boiling and leave it at simmer for 2 hours. Should I have it at a higher heat maybe? When I flame sterilize the needle, should I be getting it red hot in between? Is a bic lighter not good to use? Should I put micro spore tape on top after I inoculate?

- I am aware the stalled jars look way too wet. To achieve the right amount of field capacity I had to get it this wet. Not sure if I am using too fine of Verm or what. I am using "Black Gold" Verm and "Bobs Red Mill Brown rice flour Stone ground". Is there a different product youd recommend? Is there anyway to fixed stalled Jars?

Once again thank you for taking the time to read!

Edited by Abyss13 (06/25/19 07:24 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJpybot
Stranger
Re: Not sure what I am doing wrong. Some sontamination and stalled jars [Re: Abyss13]
    #26071859 - 06/24/19 10:48 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

You're gonna have to toss those jars, even the stalled ones don't look right. You may be on to something when you said they look too wet. Try using a 2:1:1 ratio of vermiculite, water, and brf. So 2 cups verm, 1 cup water, 1 cup brf. As opposed to trying to eybeall your field capacity.

I've never done steam sterilization so I can't help there,maybe check out mushroom666's guide. Yes, you should get the needle red hot then wipe with alcohol to cool it off. Re-sterilize between each jar.
If you have a layer of vermiculite on top acting as a filter, you won't need the micropore tape, otherwise use it.

OfflineAjr12100
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Not sure what I am doing wrong. Some sontamination and stalled jars [Re: Jpybot]
    #26072030 - 06/25/19 12:46 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

When you steam sterilize do you put foil on the top to stop water from dropping down into the jars?
A bic lighter is fine to use- get a torch and it’ll be faster and easier though. 
I’m not familiar with the verm brand you have but I doubt that it would be an issue
I would recommend a pressure cooker if you can’t get it to work after another try. They can be a little pricey sometimes but honestly it’ll take your success rate up significantly.

--------------------
“I'm a survivor too.
with enough sense to live
like an outlaw 30 sum years,
and get away with it.”
-Hippie3

“Embrace your inner agar. Do not fear it”

OfflineAbyss13
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Not sure what I am doing wrong. Some sontamination and stalled jars [Re: Jpybot]
    #26073427 - 06/25/19 07:33 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Jpybot said:
You're gonna have to toss those jars, even the stalled ones don't look right. You may be on to something when you said they look too wet. Try using a 2:1:1 ratio of vermiculite, water, and brf. So 2 cups verm, 1 cup water, 1 cup brf. As opposed to trying to eybeall your field capacity.

I've never done steam sterilization so I can't help there,maybe check out mushroom666's guide. Yes, you should get the needle red hot then wipe with alcohol to cool it off. Re-sterilize between each jar.
If you have a layer of vermiculite on top acting as a filter, you won't need the micropore tape, otherwise use it.

Would I be able to clean the jars, bleach and alcohol to reuse? Or is that not worth doing?

I tried the 2:1:1 ratio and the field capacity was nothing close to the gif attached in the tek, which is why I added more. Then it looked too wet but field capacity seemed right.

I am using a dry verm layer as a filter. Would putting micro spore tape also be an added layer of protection?

OfflineAbyss13
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Not sure what I am doing wrong. Some sontamination and stalled jars [Re: Ajr12100]
    #26073434 - 06/25/19 07:36 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ajr12100 said:
When you steam sterilize do you put foil on the top to stop water from dropping down into the jars?
A bic lighter is fine to use- get a torch and it’ll be faster and easier though. 
I’m not familiar with the verm brand you have but I doubt that it would be an issue
I would recommend a pressure cooker if you can’t get it to work after another try. They can be a little pricey sometimes but honestly it’ll take your success rate up significantly.

Yeah I have foil on top. Thinking about putting micro spore tape and foil during the steam sterilize and maybe sterilize for 3 hours.I feel like my issue is coming somewhere in the steam sterilizing.

I might have to look into a pressure cooker.

Offlinekorrg
Stranger
Re: Not sure what I am doing wrong. Some sontamination and stalled jars [Re: Abyss13]
    #26074228 - 06/26/19 03:13 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

jars are reusable. bleach and alcohol and peroxide are good. if it's a moldlike contam i'd add garden calcium.
if you are catching water during steaming add another layer of foil from bottom to top. and good for water isolation is cotton-viskose fibre, don't know how behaves a synthetic one.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation