Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemrjim202000
 User Gallery
wood shavings insted of verm ???
    #2605994 - 04/27/04 09:59 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

i cant for teh life of me find verm in RI .... i dont know why i have looked all over but get nothing. my idea which i will put into action tonight i think is to replace the verm with 24hr soaked and boiled alder shavings (rabbit bedding) in a BRF mix. the mushrooms are not wood loving so the shavings should only serve to retain moisutre and allow the myc. to move about the cake ....right?? also alder is a non-pine so it shoud not affect growth ......right??
this is sort or a "fly by night" idea i have no idea how its going to work out but please if you know that i am wrong or that my ideas are off stop me

thanks
peace

--------------------
dont tell lies, there will be less to remember

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThatDaltonGuy
PermanentlyFried
Loc: USA
Re: wood shavings insted of verm ??? [Re: mrjim202000]
    #2606077 - 04/27/04 11:21 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

ive heard alder bedding is a great substrate for wood loving mushies... but ive never experimented or heard about it for replacement of verm...

--------------------
Let me remind you that the above text is completely false and has been typed to you by an escaped mental patient and shouldn't be taken seriously unless you yourself also have a mental condition. These kind of things need to be taken into consideration by those viewing these threads.

InvisibleLoki
Ferret Farmer
Trans-male User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #2606141 - 04/27/04 11:34 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Ive used wood chips as a cubensis casing, it worked, but
it wasnt better than verm, it was worse. It held TOO much
water, and became a bit stinky due to bacteria.

i did get a couple of flushes of it though. I used hazel wood chips

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2606780 - 04/27/04 02:04 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

It seems to that one possible alternative would be corn cobb bedding from the pet store. If it was simmered and then mixed in with the appropriate amount of brf it stands to reason that it would possibly work in place of verm. I would think ,however, that pressure cooking the jars would be a must rather than any steaming in a pot method. I must stress that this is only speculation ,and not something that I have proven to work or even tried, for that matter. Just occured to me since corn cobb holds a fair amount of hydration and would be open enough to facilitate good air exchange.

Anyone please feel free to shoot this one down if they know it to be destined for failure. The last thing I want to do is give a newbie bad advice!

--------------------

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2606844 - 04/27/04 02:16 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not sure but here is a thought. The myc is using the BRF. In fact you don't see brf in a fully colonized cake. Just verm and myc. Now the verm isn't going to rot cause it's really made of stone that has been heated. Wood I'm not sure about. Being exposed to moisture all the time it may start to rot.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract