Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  [ show all ]
InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Loc: W-Europe
Ephedra Growers Unite * 3
    #26059455 - 06/18/19 11:28 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

This thread is to document my endeavours in cultivating Ephedra spp. and to find out if other shroomerites are growing these plants. Also, there still was no dedicated thread for this genus on the shroomery.

Quote:

MeanGreen said:
As far as growing information, I highly recommend the Ephedra thread on SAB, started by my Greek friend Sagi, he has a great wealth of knowledge on the genus.

Ten months ago, I bought two plants from a well-known auction site, namely E. nevandensis and E. viridis. These were two sturdy plants in a tiny pot, so I gave them a repot straight away. The growing mixture consists of fertilized potting soil for acid-loving plants, with quite a bit of perlite and lava rocks to ensure good drainage. I added a handful of white sand to this mixture and also a small amount of cow and chicken manure. They arrived in the middle of the summer, so they could be placed outdoors immediately.

At the end of summer I took them indoors and placed them by the side of a grow light. Throughout the colder months they slowly kept on growing.

I gave them another repot a month or two ago and placed them outdoors again. It was however still fairly cold during the night at that time, with lots of rain and wind. Alternated by a couple of days of full sun and scorching heat. Due to this, the extremities of both plants suffered a bit and turned yellow. But both of them survived and are now pushing out a lot of growth. This was one month ago at the beginning of new growth development:

And here they are today, adapted to full sun. On the left is E. viridis and on the right E. nevadensis

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Last year at the beginning of summer, I ordered seeds of five different Ephedra species. I nicked the seed coat and soaked them for about a day before sowing. They also recieved a cold stratification beforehand, since I read they might benefit from it. Germination rate was extremely disappointing, as only one E. sinica and one E. major seed germinated. They have been growing in a windowsill all the time, which receives just a couple of hours of direct sun a day. I believe their growth nearly came to a halt after the summer.

These two plants are rather pathetic up until now. A month ago they consisted out of one single stem, but with summer around the corner they both have pushed out one or two new side shoots which grow quite rapidly. I gave them a repot a week ago and they're now placed under a grow light, since they're still too fragile to grow outdoors in my opinion considering the fierce weather lately.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I discovered a botanical garden with lots of Ephedra spp. plants in the ground. It's quite interesting to see all of these plants survive outdoors in our colder climate.

And a couple of seeds of the last two Ephedra spp., the red ones are E. minima seeds and the other specie is unidentified.

I will be trying to grow these. Today I took some seeds out of their cones, and sowed them on top of a hydrated mixture of sowing and cutting soil with added perlite. I didn't give them any other special treatment as I read fresh seeds will readily germinate. Not sure if the seeds in the greenish cones were already mature though, but I will soon find out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLifeUnderAwno

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite *DELETED* [Re: Poison Drink]
    #26059482 - 06/18/19 11:54 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by LifeUnderAwno

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Europe
Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: LifeUnderAwno]
    #26059543 - 06/18/19 12:47 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Im very interested in this genus too.
I have tried to sow countless of different variety's but the seeds from auctionsites as well as seed companys will not grow.
I tried cold stratification, warm water soak, GA3 activation solution, everything.
I have got a very few to germinate out of probably over 100 seeds and it were E.Viridis and E.Nevadensis.
I have just one small plant that are just little bigger than your seed grown plant  PD.
And unfortunately it is P.Nevadensis, one of those that contain almost zero ephedrine.

I would like to get me a E.Intermedia plant, preferably E.Intermedia var. Tibetica.
This variety is high in ephedrine and also have bigger, thicker stems.
But any of the varietys with higher ephedrine or pseudoephedrine would do fine.
I would like to try grow and multiply them with tissue culture and i have a PDF giving media and growth regulator levels.

--------------------
A wise rat has many holes

Edited by Mateo (07/08/19 02:23 PM)

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: Mateo]
    #26059545 - 06/18/19 12:48 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Here is another PDF about Ephedra.

--------------------

Invisiblecosmofish
 User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia Flag
    #26059555 - 06/18/19 12:54 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Here's my ephedra sinica, one plant made it from a packet of seeds I planted maybe 5/6 years ago. It's been kind of neglected so it's not as big as it could be; I used to have it in a shady spot but it's doing much better in full sun. Never tried using the stuff but it's an interesting plant

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: cosmofish]
    #26059581 - 06/18/19 01:11 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Ephedrine isn´t enjoyable, at least i dont think so.
Many use Ephedra extracts for loosing weight but it probably do more harm than good.
OK, they loose weight but become mentally sick and depressed.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26059634 - 06/18/19 01:43 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Well it's often used in cold medicines, as it's a bronchodilator. It also helps with a stuffy nose due to allergies. I munched on some fresh and dried stems a couple of times with noticeable effects. Not sure if both the E. nevadensis and E. viridis gave me the same effect, will try it out some time.

I also took a couple of sucker cuttings of a Ephedra aphylla Forssk. plant, which is said to grow in the region of Arabia. No idea if the cuttings will survive as they only had a very small portion of root attached. This one still looks promising:

Edited by Poison Drink (06/18/19 01:48 PM)

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: Poison Drink]
    #26059649 - 06/18/19 01:57 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

In your link they said that layering works for cuttings but not all the time.
Just bury a section of the stem in a nearby pot of soil and roots will come if you wait.
I dont know what % it has to succeed but it works they wrote.

I only have tried pure ephedrine crystals and it was similar to speed, but not a pleasurable experience that i would try again.
Maybe some Ephedra tea would be better.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26059673 - 06/18/19 02:11 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

From that thread on SAB:

Quote:

Torsten said:
Layering works though. Just push down some low branches and bury them well for 1 or 2 years, then look for roots. Sometimes there will be roots, sometimes not.

It's sadly not a very viable method of taking cuttings if you have to wait that long.

Oh and what a lovely E. sinica plant, cosmofish!

InvisibleMostly_HarmlessM
wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

Loc: Perfidious Albion Flag
Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: Poison Drink] * 2
    #26061251 - 06/19/19 07:46 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

My lone E. sinica putting on lots of new growth. Sown from the big seed giveaway here in the garden some years back.

--------------------
●  EG Rules and Guidelines ● 

|| Lophophora Growers Unite! || Trichocereus Growers Unite! || Stone Eaters - A Soil Revolution ||

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: Mostly_Harmless]
    #26061316 - 06/19/19 08:38 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

I presume you're talking about the 'Ephedra Revolution'. Good to see some of those plants are still lasting! Has your E. sinica plant ever flowered?

InvisibleJayWise
Male User Gallery
    #26061908 - 06/19/19 02:59 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by JayWise

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: JayWise]
    #26063493 - 06/20/19 11:07 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

I doubt the layering method takes 2 years as he wrote.
Several months maybe but if it hasn´t grown roots after half a year i doubt it ever will do it.
But maybe he´s right, i just find it very long time.
Since tissue culture works maybe that´s a good way to get many plants/clones.

Oh, i just checked on my Ephedra seeds i sown and one E.Viridis seed has germinated :dancer:
Now i hope i can keep it alive till it´s bigger and stronger.
No luck with the other Ephedrea seeds though.
They are really are hard to get growing from seeds.
I guess it´s old seeds.

--------------------

Edited by Mateo (06/20/19 11:16 AM)

InvisibleLifeUnderAwno

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite *DELETED* [Re: Mateo]
    #26064179 - 06/20/19 05:09 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: LifeUnderAwno] * 2
    #26064296 - 06/20/19 06:00 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

So today I was giving a Ephedra aphylla Forssk. sucker cutting a little tug and noticed some resistance. Only afterwards did I notice the plant had started to grow a new basal shoot, and other nodes are starting to swell as well. The sucker cuttings had only a tiny root of about 1-2cm still attached and were taken exactly three weeks ago.

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#26064994 - 06/21/19 03:15 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Thats nice.
A sign it´s doing well :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleBattyKodaS
WCA President
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Boof Hard Or Go Home
    #26065089 - 06/21/19 06:21 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

I've got some seeds I need to sow asap!

--------------------

A Man Must Learn To Sail In All Winds.:bliss: RIP ModestMouse & Big Worm:heart:

Offlineaceprophet.47
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: BattyKoda] * 1
    #26067726 - 06/22/19 02:11 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Has any one came out with a viable way to sow these as seeds?

OfflineCrispy224
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: aceprophet.47] * 1
    #26067853 - 06/22/19 03:58 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Basically just sow in individual pots and keep moist until they sprout.  The best time to sow is during spring/summer. They won't sprout all that well in cold weather. Fresh  Ephedra seeds will germinate quite easily. I think most that have trouble getting their seeds to sprout is due to old seed.

--------------------
Matsesherbs.com is a SCAM site. Do not send them any money!!!!

InvisibleFeroxx
Master of the Green Fist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cruel sun
Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: Crispy224]
    #26067921 - 06/22/19 04:54 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

i did read a few days back about it, fresh is good but after a year or year and a half germ rate is reduced to 5%

InvisibleLifeUnderAwno

. [Re: Feroxx]
    #26070113 - 06/23/19 08:56 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Edited by LifeUnderAwno (12/27/21 12:17 PM)

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: LifeUnderAwno] * 2
    #26071207 - 06/24/19 02:31 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Most of the E. minima seed coats had cracked open after only two or three days, but up until now they still haven't completely germinated. There's a root emerging out of some of the seeds though, so I presume it won't take long anymore. They're still rather fast considering I only sowed them 6 days ago.

Wikipedia has an interesting article about E. minima, also known as E. monosperma. It's ephedrine extract has been used in traditional Chinese and Japanese medicine for several thousand years. Supposedly the dried mature seed-cones can be used as a tea. I'm considering giving this a try. Fresh cones don't taste like much, a bit starchy and similar to the taste of the shoots.

Sadly the unidentified Ephedra seeds haven't shown any sign of life up until this moment. Maybe those seeds were not fully mature yet, or they might just need more time. All the other Ephedra plants and cuttings are doing well though. The outdoor plants don't seem to mind the current heat wave, and the E. aphylla Forssk. cuttings are growing a lot of thin new shoots:

I still have a few dozen E. minima seeds, so I'm thinking about doing a little giveaway if there is any interest in it.

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#26071285 - 06/24/19 03:13 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

I would be interested in a few seeds if you do a giveaway.
I have tried many varietys and got very few to germinate.
I think many seeds one can buy online are very old, that´s why they germinate so badly.
I have tried cold stratification, filing on seeds, hot water soak even Gibberlic acid treatment but they wont germinate.
Sometimes one seed germinate in a batch of 30-40 seeds, if one is lucky.

Fresh seeds is probably much better but might still need some help as filing on seeds or hot water soak.

--------------------

OfflineCrispy224
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26071362 - 06/24/19 03:50 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

I would be interested minima seeds but am located in the United States. Do I still qualify?

--------------------

InvisibleJayWise
Male User Gallery
    #26072241 - 06/25/19 02:21 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by JayWise

Edited by JayWise (06/25/19 02:22 AM)

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: JayWise] * 1
    #26073195 - 06/25/19 03:27 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Well it wasn't my intention to start a giveaway in this thread, but those who responded are all EG regulars of which I think highly. I would rather the seeds go to people who are passionate about these plants, so I will contact everyone who has posted in this thread with a decent trade rating.

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: Poison Drink] * 1
    #26073226 - 06/25/19 03:46 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Not sure how I missed this thread, I love growing this plant.
This is my E. sinica, this is its third year now I believe:

One of my E. fragilis growing alongside lophs, I have a few more fragilis I'll snap some pics of them.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26079832 - 06/28/19 07:59 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Beautiful pictures, MeanGreen! My seed grown E. sinica still has a long way to go before it reaches the size of yours. I took a picture of my two seed grown Ephedra spp. plants, just to establish a baseline. I repotted them a while ago and in the meantime the summer has begun. That's why they're beginning to push out new growth again. Still rather slow growing at the moment though. E. sinica on the left and E. major on the right:

Speaking about growth speed, I was reading through the SAB thread (link at the beginning of the opening post) and came across this:

Quote:

sagiXsagi said:
but the mediteranean and mid east liana ephedras like foeminea, aphylla (alta) , fragilis which has a semi-climber habit, seem to grow multiple times faster than other species from harsher climates

I'm really impressed by the growth speed of my E. aphylla Forssk. cutting, considering it probably doesn't have a strong root system yet. For comparison I will quote the pictures I posted four days ago:

Quote:

Poison Drink said:

And these pictures I took today. It's even growing what seems to be a root sucker if you look closely.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26081270 - 06/29/19 05:06 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

The Ephedra minima seeds are doing great! Today was especially warm and bright, which they seemed to like a lot. Germination definitely gained momentum due to this. They were sown 11 days ago so take off is rather slow. All six of them are popping up, yet some are a bit behind.

I'm growing them in a window sill that receives about two to three hours of direct sunlight a day in the afternoon. The window has a film on it to make it less transparent for privacy reasons. This most likely blocks and diffuses the sunlight a bit.

I used a sowing and cutting soil and added some perlite to it. The soil mixture was watered thoroughly before filling the pots, but I ensured it wasn't soggy. I sowed the untreated seeds on top of this mixture and pushed them in a bit so that the sides would make good contact with the moist soil. I pushed the pointy edge of the seed down into the soil at an angle of 45°. I let the other side of the seed sticks out of the soil.

I had to move aside chunks of perlite which created air pockets around the seed, obstructing full contact with moist soil. So next time I will probably utilize a thin top layer of soil without perlite. Ephedra plants are supposedly sensitive to transplanting when they're young, so I sowed them in a big enough pot and ensured good drainage.

They're growing in a plastic bag that serves as a humidity dome, but I ensure there's enough air exchange so that no molds will develop. I could have sterilized the soil mixture beforehand, but I had good previous experiences using it as is. Every evening I open up the plastic bag and mist every seed with tap water which has been standing for 24 hours to dechlorinate it. I read an article in the SAB Ephedra thread that E. sinica seeds contain growth inhibitors and water washing will speed up germination.

I will probably continue doing this until every seed is completely germinated and has shed its seed coat. Then I will enlarge the hole in the plastic humidity dome step-by-step until they're growing in ambient humidity.

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#26081996 - 06/30/19 05:39 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

What is the preferred climate for Ephedrea sp?
Anybody done any reading on these?

Should i have my adult Ephedra:
-In a window inside
-In my greenhouse outside where its warm and humid
-Outside where is often warm and strong sun
-Outside in a more shaded location where its warm and not so strong sun.

They are some kind of desert plants aren´t they?
Desert areas is usually quite dry, very varm in day and very cold at nights.

Seedlings I will try PD´s tek above.

--------------------

Invisiblecosmofish
 User Gallery

#26082241 - 06/30/19 09:48 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

For a couple years I had my ephedra in a shady wet spot which it didn't like very much. Once I moved it into the greenhouse and watered sparingly it started looking a lot better. I treat it kind of like a cactus but just make sure it doesn't get too bone dry.

InvisibleJayWise
Male User Gallery
Re: Ephedra Growers Unite *DELETED* [Re: cosmofish]
    #26082414 - 06/30/19 11:26 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by JayWise

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#26082430 - 06/30/19 11:34 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

I think it will have to be put outside then, thanks for input.
First in a shaded location and gradually moved to more sun until it can take full sun without negative effects.

It looks so weak with the thin structure it has.
I hope it will develop more branches and hopefully suckers so it get several stems.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: Mateo] * 2
    #26085364 - 07/01/19 11:59 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Once established, it can take full sun and sparse waterings in temperate European climates. But as Cosmofish pointed out, just make sure it doesn't get too bone dry.

I decided not to grow them outdoors yet, because I have a bit of a snail problem. They will occasionally munch on the fresh and succulent growth of my older Ephedra plants, but they can handle it. Small seedlings don't have a tough base though, so they could be totally eaten by snails. I didn't put my Ephedra cuttings outdoors either. There's a lot of birds visiting, so I can image they could take off with a cutting. The cuttings haven't got a strong root system yet so they could easily be pulled out of the soil.

My E. viridis has been growing well the last two weeks. Interesting to see the old stems grew almost horizontal, while the new growth goes straight up. Almost two weeks of growth:

Quote:

Poison Drink said:

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#26086331 - 07/02/19 02:10 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

That was some nice growth for 2 weeks.
Have you given any fertilizers?

The snails is a big problem for me too.
Im going to put a table outside and put some copper tape around the legs and see if it works to keep the snails away.
My small Sassafras Albidum plant is under constant attack, i have put lots of snail pellets around the plant but it seems only to work for the big snails.
My poppies are also very good snailfood it seems, maybe they get some nice effect when eating them.

Edited by Mateo (07/02/19 02:24 PM)

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26087654 - 07/03/19 07:36 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

I only gave them some vermicompost tea two days or so before taking the picture, so that shouldn't have affected the growth very much yet. I didn't feed these plants at all after repotting them, but the potting soil was fertilized and I added a handful of chicken and cow manure to the soil mixture.

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#26088505 - 07/03/19 04:35 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

A handful of chicken manure?
Isn´t that a very strong fertilizer and a handful very much for a pot?
well, it certainly grows very well now so it must like the soilmix.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26088550 - 07/03/19 05:01 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

I use a commercial mixture of dried cow and chicken manure. The ratio is not specified on the bag, but it does mention there's no risk of burning the plants. Those pots are about 10L so a handful is quite alright I think.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26090364 - 07/04/19 04:19 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

One of the germinating E. minima seedlings has some mold growing on the seed coat which jumped over to the cotyledons. I decided to snip the mold infected parts off and see if it will make it through. There's also some green algae formation on top of the soil. I should have sterilized my soil mixture and should have soaked the seeds in a weak peroxide solution for a couple of minutes. I really didn't expect these seedlings to take this long to break free from the seed coat though. I don't even know if the seed coat needs to be kept moist for the seedling to be able to push it off.

I also don't remember how I germinated the E. sinica and E. major last year. I will leave the plastic bag open for now so that the soil can dry out faster, and I will probably spray them with a weak peroxide solution. No worries though as I still have some seeds to play around with.. I'm just reporting my mistakes so that other don't have to make them!

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#26090918 - 07/05/19 01:53 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

I always get this algae on top of the soil when i use ordinary soil.
I wonder if nuking the soil in the microwave would make any difference.
Since sterilizing the soil kills all bacteria both good and bad i haven't done it.
But i really should do something because algae and the small soil flies really thrive.
2 days ago I tried pouring some 3% hydrogen peroxide into 3 pots that had both algae and lots of soil flies.
It fizzed and bubbled quite a bit and when it stopped i scraped off the algae remains.
These pots, 2 of them with loph+pereskiopsis and one with a coca seedling seems not to be affected with the peroxide treatment so far and soil looks nice and bug/flies free.
Anyone use to microwave their soil before sowing?
How long does the soil stay free of algae and other things?

--------------------

Invisiblecosmofish
 User Gallery

#26091192 - 07/05/19 08:58 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

I haven't microwaved my soil for years and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference either way, the algae doesn't hurt the plants much I don't think but the fungus gnats and the other pests can be a pain. I haven't tried hydrogen peroxide for a while but sometimes a light spray of insecticidal soap sorts them out temporarily at least

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: cosmofish]
    #26091477 - 07/05/19 12:11 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

I use soapwater spray but i dont spray on the soil or water with it.
Its good for most bugs when sprayed but not the small flies.
Maybe the insecticidal soap like safers is better, i use regular real green soap.
Peroxide is very effective to kill the flies in the soil but im unsure if seedlings will be effected negatively.
The tiny Mitragyna seedlings didn´t like it at all and many died.
But when bigger it seems to be no problem with peroxide, it seems only to affect them when they are very young and sensitive.
Best to test on one first to see how the plant reacts.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26094370 - 07/07/19 08:57 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

I haven't sprayed the seedlings yet with dilute peroxide, but I did open up the plastic bag so they could get more fresh air. Maybe stale air caused the mold to grow on the seedling. Most of the seedlings do seem to be having problems shedding the seed coat though. I'm not sure why as I kept the humidity high for a week or two. It might be beneficial to file or snip off (part of) the seams of the seed coat before sowing.

Just one was able to shed its seed coat naturally. Another one I snipped off due to the mold and another one has grown long cotyledons but the seed coat is still attached at the end and a stem is already appearing from in between. The last one pictured I had to take out of the soil for some surgery. It had a hard dried film originally from the seed coat wrapped tightly around the base of it's cotyledons. That way a new stem wouldn't be able to grow. I had to make a small incision with a scalpel to break them free. I'm hoping the ones with short cotyledons will persist long enough for a plant to grow..

Oh and multiple people mentioned they're growing Ephedra spp. in this thread. I would love to see what other shroomerites are growing and doing with these plants!

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#26096292 - 07/08/19 02:55 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

I have had similar problems with the small germinated Ephedra can´t shed the seedcoat.
I lost a E.Viridis just a few days ago because the seedcoat was stuck.
Sadly it was the only germinating seed from the batch.

But some other very good news.
Someone very kind has sent me some E.Minima seeds that arrived today. :smile:
Thank you my friend:smile:

I have a good feeling about these seeds.
When i get some germination i can take some photos and post here.

--------------------

OfflineDark lotus
Public Enemy No. 1

Loc: Up in the UnderWorld
    #26099472 - 07/10/19 12:30 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Mateo have you experimented with gerberillic acid?
I find it helps with many species that are seed picky, both germination and initial growth troubles.

InvisibleLifeUnderAwno

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite *DELETED* [Re: Dark lotus] * 1
    #26102337 - 07/11/19 01:28 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: LifeUnderAwno] * 1
    #26102408 - 07/11/19 02:13 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

I did notice the E. minima seeds are quite large considering it's one of the smaller Ephedra species. I didn't have any other old Ephedra spp. seeds laying around for comparison though, because they don't have a long shelf life either way. The E. minima seeds were picked less than a month ago, so I'd consider those fresh. Every E. minima seed I've sown so far has germinated. Surely not all of them will survive the seedling stage, but it's refreshing to see such high germination rates.

The pictured E. minima seeds I sowed a while later than the first ones. I just keep them moist by hydrating the soil mixture prior to sowing, and spraying them once ever two or three days. I'm not using a humidity dome anymore for these, but they don't seem to mind.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26106414 - 07/13/19 05:23 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

A couple of days ago, I posted about doing a bit of surgery on a seedling of which the cotyledons were pinched together by a kind of tough membrane. Today I was inspecting the seedlings again and I believe this membrane plays a part in shedding the seed coat. One side of the membrane is attached to the base of the seedling and the other to the seed coat itself. Some seedlings had a ruptured membrane causing them to have the seed coat still attached at the end of the growing cotyledons. The ones of which the membrane stayed in place have already freed themselves since the seed coat was kept in a fixed position.

And the E. aphylla Forssk. cutting is doing well.

InvisibleBattyKodaS
WCA President

#26109357 - 07/15/19 09:57 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Progress so far:

What I'm worried about.
The soil.

I used jiffy seed starting mix cut with hella perlite.
I plan to pile all the surface perlite up on the sides and lay the seeds directly on the moist soil and very very very lightly touch it into the soil.

It can be changed or altered if you let me know before morning.
I can stop by and grab some chicken grit or anything else I need otw home before I sow.

Minima soaking after bieng gently rubbed on sand paper

Sinca soaking after bieng lightly rubbed on sand paper.

I was upset because I found the actual playsand as soon as I was putting the sandpaper up.
Could have put some in a baggie and agitated the seeds.

Ephedra Sinca
Maybe a year old.

Ephedra minima seeds
Maybe a week old.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26109643 - 07/15/19 01:10 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

That looks quite alright I think. Maybe you could just leave the bag opened because I had some mold issues with only a small hole in the humidity dome. Just spray it every other day or so to keep moist. The seedlings from my previous post are growing without a humidity dome and seem to be doing fine. Last year, one of my old seeds germinated several months after being sown, so don't give up on those old seeds too soon!

InvisibleBattyKodaS
WCA President

#26111200 - 07/16/19 08:15 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you so much bud!

12 Ephedra Minima seeds sown.
I only zipped the zipper 60% shut.

Ephedra Sinca is still soaking.
Will a 48 hour soak be ok?
If not I'll fix it quickly when I wake up.

I want to make some soil and sow in the morning tommarrow.
I'm exhausted.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26111641 - 07/16/19 12:31 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

I think it will be alright soaking those older seeds for 48h. I'm not an expert on germinating old Ephedra seeds though. At what light levels and temperature will you be keeping them?

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#26111787 - 07/16/19 01:58 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

I think one can soak old seeds until they swell a little and then plant them in soil.

I have put a few E.minima seeds in a cup of warm water and another few in 250ppm Gibberlic acid solution to soak until tomorrow.
I will sow a few untreated seeds as well.

--------------------

InvisibleBattyKodaS
WCA President

#26111970 - 07/16/19 03:15 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Lighting is a hlg 100 3000k quantum board.
Not directly under it but in the side light.

I'll have to check for exact temps but the a.c. is on 75 and ive got fans going.
Its been like 100 the last two weeks.
Feels good in there but warm.

I have a heat mat if need be.
I read that but figured is wait till winter to use it if need be

:goodluck:
Everyone

Edit

Ephedra Sinca sown!:rush:

--------------------

Edited by BattyKoda (07/17/19 06:47 AM)

InvisibleBattyKodaS
WCA President

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: BattyKoda]
    #26118205 - 07/19/19 03:11 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Tempature is about 80°F

I think I have some life.
I'll take a photo tommarrow.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26118487 - 07/19/19 05:48 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

That's good to hear! Hopefully some of the E. sinica you've sown will germinate as well. At the moment, the E. minima is growing painfully slow for me. It was the same for my other seed grown Ephedra spp. plants though, which seem to be picking up pace a bit now, but nothing too spectacular.

I went back to that botanical garden today and found some other Ephedra spp. plants I overlooked last time. I found a beautiful Ephedra sp. in a neglected part of the garden, covered in white seed cones. No idea what species this might be since it was one of several Ephedra spp. plants with missing identification sign.

I collected a couple of seeds of E. americana, E. chilensis and the unidentified Ephedra sp. with white seed cones. A couple of the other unidentified Ephedra sp. seeds from the opening post have germinated as well. Hopefully I will be able to identify the two of them in the future..

The two unidentified plants if anyone wants to make a guess:

OfflineCrispy224
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26118598 - 07/19/19 07:11 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Hey poison drink. How friendly are the people who run that awesome botanical garden. Would they let you dig up a rhizome from their ephedras. Then you wouldn't have to baby so many seedlings if you already have a decent size offshoot?

And I checked the pots I plants those E. Minima in and I now have 2-3 sprouts that are beginning to emerge! So thank you again for the seeds. I'll try to post a photo tomorrow or Sunday. I'm liking how this growers thread is turning out. It hard to find good info on growing ephedra other than generic guidelines Google pulls up.

--------------------

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#26119084 - 07/20/19 02:29 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

I havent seen white seedcones on the Ephedras before, is that common or a rare feature?
Hopefully it can be used to identify the unknown Ephedra.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26119288 - 07/20/19 06:40 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Whenever I visited that specific botanical garden, it was extremely quiet. The only person I encountered that was more or less affiliated with the garden was a gatekeeper. He allowed me to collect some Ephedra seeds, probably without even knowing which plant I was talking about. But it was good enough for me and there were literally hundreds of seeds anyway and dozens of them had already fallen off.

I did however take some sucker cuttings from other botanical gardens, such as the E. aphylla Forssk. This seems to be a good method for propagation. I didn't need to dig though. A sucker of a young Ephedra spp. can be carefully pulled out of the soil with a portion of the roots still attached. Mature Ephedra plants tend to have thick and woody bases like this E. chilensis:

I like to grow plants from seed whenever possible, and I don't mind taking care of seedlings. Also, Ephedra is mostly dioecious so it's interesting to have multiple plants if they should ever flower. I wonder if hybridisation occurs though, since the botanical garden has multiple Ephedra spp. which flower at approximately the same time.

Most of the plants at the botanical garden have red seed cones so I believe white ones are more rare. I can't find any decent information on Ephedra so if anyone has access to databases, books or documents, I'd be interested to read it!

InvisibleBattyKodaS
WCA President

#26120123 - 07/20/19 03:54 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Day 3
E Sinca

Day 4
E Minima
Cant see these good but its about 4 or 5 germinated.^

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26120238 - 07/20/19 04:49 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Very impressive! You still have a good germination rate for those older E. sinica seeds, especially considering they've been sown only three days ago. It's interesting to see the two Ephedra spp. germinate together so you can compare both of them. They have been used in traditional medicine in China and Japan for several thousand years.

Edited by Poison Drink (07/20/19 04:52 PM)

InvisibleBattyKodaS
WCA President

#26122299 - 07/21/19 05:28 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

I was very impressed myself!

Those seeds are almost if not more than a year old.
Maybe the 48 hr soak was the best option for the older seeds.

I only soaked minima 24hr since they were so fresh.

Super happy they are going well so far not only for myself but the thread!

Ive read alot of the uses, history, and effects but like you said I could never find good information about the cultuvation from seed to seed pods.
Hence why I put the sinca on the back burner.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26122713 - 07/21/19 09:30 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

I'm fairly sure one E. minima seed has sprouted two seedlings, which might be conjoined twins. Interested to see how it/they will develop! These seeds were sown one month ago and I will likely lose two due to stuck cotyledons or mold.

The seedlings below I had sown one or two weeks later, but they seem to be doing better. They are the ones growing without a humidity dome.

InvisibleLifeUnderAwno

#26123345 - 08/05/19 10:20 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26123510 - 08/06/19 01:38 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Two weeks ago, I sowed the fresh Ephedra spp. seeds I had picked. I decided to sow a few of the 'old' E. minima seeds as well to see if they would still readily germinate. I definitely noticed a difference, since a lot of the other seeds have germinated by now whilst the E. minima seeds are just beginning to emerge. I suppose they will just take a while longer though and will mostly all germinate eventually..

I don't use a humidity dome anymore for the seed(ling)s, but they're in a mini greenhouse which might raise humidity a bit. I also don't water them that frequently anymore. I haven't added any sand to the soil mixture yet, since I'm growing them indoors. When they're exposed to the elements outdoors, I would definitely provide a high mineral content soil with added sand to ensure good drainage.

I can also confirm that a tea made of dried E. minima seed cones is definitely active. If there's one pharmaceutical I'm using with some regularity, it's (pseudo-)ephedrine containing medicine. So I'm extremely stoked that I can utilize a home grown, plant based tea in the future!

I repotted the E. aphylla Forssk. cuttings into one pot and placed it outdoors in a somewhat shady spot to acclimatize to outdoor conditions. I believe it's my fastest growing Ephedra sp. so I'm interested to see how it will grow now that it's outdoors.

The outdoor plants from left to right: E. viridis, E. nevadensis and E. aphylla Forssk.

Edited by Poison Drink (09/09/19 10:04 AM)

InvisibleBattyKodaS
WCA President

#26123708 - 08/06/19 06:40 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Ohhh poison drink ive got some picture's!!!:supersaiyan:

Whew that was a pain in the butt.
I'll try and organize/date them later.

--------------------

Edited by BattyKoda (08/06/19 09:35 AM)

Offlinexisbi
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26124608 - 08/06/19 06:16 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Niceee, are you using grow light?

InvisibleBattyKodaS
WCA President

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: xisbi]
    #26124725 - 08/06/19 07:05 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks!
I'm using a hlg 100 3000k quantum board.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26126653 - 08/08/19 09:00 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Great to see these seeds being grown around the world! Here are some E. minima seedlings of about 1,5 month old.

InvisibleLifeUnderAwno

. [Re: Poison Drink]
    #26137042 - 08/15/19 11:52 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Edited by LifeUnderAwno (12/27/21 12:25 PM)

OfflineFailboat
Fuck Up

#26140616 - 08/17/19 09:25 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Got me some seeds :popcorn:

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: Failboat]
    #26141719 - 08/18/19 04:05 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

As far as I understand it, two incredibly small leaves grow on each node.

The seed coat occasionally keeps attached to the tip of the cotyledons. The seedling might succumb if you try to remove the seed coat too soon and damage the emerging plantlet. I did remove a couple of seed coats which were getting moldy, but most of them survived because a large portion of the cotyledons were still intact and could perform enough photosynthesis for new growth. But if it's not necessary to remove the seed coats, I just leave them be.

Quote:

Quirkmeister92 said:
Got me some seeds :popcorn:

Which Ephedra spp. will you be growing?

Quote:

LifeUnderAwno said:
Soon i’ll have more than i know what to do with. :thumbup:

Tell me about it.. :hehehe:

Edited by Poison Drink (08/18/19 06:18 PM)

OfflineFailboat
Fuck Up

#26146395 - 08/21/19 02:03 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Ephedra sinica

InvisibleJayWise
Male User Gallery
Re: Ephedra Growers Unite *DELETED* [Re: Failboat]
    #26147657 - 08/22/19 09:30 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by JayWise

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#26147727 - 08/22/19 10:11 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

My E.Minima has sprouted and i have 4-5 seedlings 4-5cm tall.
I have lots of green algae on top of the soil, maybe i should replant them in new bigger pots.
I would like to wait a little bit though so as long the seedlings seem healthy i dont have any rush to do it.
Haven´t taken any pics yet, i can do after the repot soon.

--------------------

InvisibleLifeUnderAwno

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite *DELETED* [Re: Mateo]
    #26170617 - 09/05/19 12:58 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26177464 - 09/09/19 10:38 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

My E. aphylla Forssk. has completely unexpectedly produced a single seed cone! The plant was grown from a small sucker cutting I took barely three months ago. Sadly I haven't seen it flowering.

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: LifeUnderAwno]
    #26179921 - 09/10/19 03:03 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

LifeUnderAwno said:
Anyone know why Ephedra tips might yellow? Underwatering? Overwatering? Too much sun?

Got a couple that arent looking great. Not sure how to make it better...

Some of my small Ephedra seedlings have this yellow/dry tips also.
I have thought they had too strong light and/or maybe too dry at some timeperiod.
Seems like new growth tips are little sensitive.

--------------------

Offlinemrmazdarx9
Pffffttt

Loc: behind you Flag
    #26180619 - 09/10/19 09:46 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Ive had my little ephedra for a couple years now. Its not a sinica for some reason I cant get them to germinate, ive tried 100s of seeds and many different methods and substrates. Its a Ephedra distachya ssp. helvetica, or swiss joint pine. It likes cold weather so i can grow it in the UK with no issues, also as a bonus has a good amount alkaloids too. Ill post a pic when i get home.

--------------------
COCA GROWERS come here and share your knowledge
COCA GROWERS UNITE
:penis:Click here for UK trades:penis:
:penis: need some supplies in the UK check Here or PM me:penis:
UK OTD uk members chat
UK supplies and trade OTD place to chat shit
Right Here
If you use "SWIM" you should DROWN

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: mrmazdarx9]
    #26181566 - 09/11/19 10:25 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

@Mrmazdarx9: Please do post some pictures of your plant! Are you growing it in a pot or in the ground? I was wondering if I could overwinter my older Ephedra plants in a pot outdoors. I have seen a bunch of Ephedra spp. outdoors in the ground in several botanical gardens. That's why I'm thinking a lot of Ephedra spp. are able to survive outdoors in West-Europe. There is of course a huge difference between growing them in a pot vs in the ground.

The Ephedra seedlings are growing slowly but steadily. From left to right: E. minima, E. americana and E. chilensis.

None of the seedlings suffer from yellow growth tips. Mine are just getting filtered sunlight, so I'm leaning in the direction of too much light. Or maybe you over fertilized them?

I'm also growing two unidentified Ephedra spp. which aren't pictured above. One Ephedra sp. with bluish hue (motherplant pictured in the opening post), and the other Ephedra sp. with white seed cones. I will keep visiting the botanical garden over the years so I can hopefully one day find out what species they are.

The two Ephedra plants I started from seed last year have pushed out quite some new growth after I repotted them. They're still indoors, but I placed them under the HPS light a couple of months ago. From left to right: E. major and E. sinica.

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
    #26181840 - 09/11/19 01:15 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Looking great PD! Those are the minima?
I'll post a pic of my sinica tomorrow, it's getting pretty big. I've been wondering the same thing about overwintering outdoors but I haven't risked it yet.
I have multiple E. fragilis I guess I could try it with one. Maybe next year I'll try to find a spot in the ground for one, and see how it turns out.

--------------------
Trade List

Offlinemrmazdarx9
Pffffttt

#26182050 - 09/11/19 03:33 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Poison Drink said:
@Mrmazdarx9: Please do post some pictures of your plant! Are you growing it in a pot or in the ground? I was wondering if I could overwinter my older Ephedra plants in a pot outdoors. I have seen a bunch of Ephedra spp. outdoors in the ground in several botanical gardens. That's why I'm thinking a lot of Ephedra spp. are able to survive outdoors in West-Europe. There is of course a huge difference between growing them in a pot vs in the ground.

The Ephedra seedlings are growing slowly but steadily. From left to right: E. minima, E. americana and E. chilensis.

None of the seedlings suffer from yellow growth tips. Mine are just getting filtered sunlight, so I'm leaning in the direction of too much light. Or maybe you over fertilized them?

I'm also growing two unidentified Ephedra spp. which aren't pictured above. One Ephedra sp. with bluish hue (motherplant pictured in the opening post), and the other Ephedra sp. with white seed cones. I will keep visiting the botanical garden over the years so I can hopefully one day find out what species they are.

The two Ephedra plants I started from seed last year have pushed out quite some new growth after I repotted them. They're still indoors, but I placed them under the HPS light a couple of months ago. From left to right: E. major and E. sinica.

Sorry I forgot I work nights so fell straight to sleep when i got home lol. Ill take a pic in the morning.
Yeah its in a pot at the mo, my garden is too much of a mess to plant it out there yet plus im moving soon. This species is a cold species all the photos of it are usually covered in snow.
How do cuttings take with ephedra, ive wanted to take a few clones as im never lucky with seeds.

--------------------
COCA GROWERS UNITE
UK OTD uk members chat
Right Here

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: MeanGreen]
    #26182129 - 09/11/19 04:06 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

The first picture is of three pots with E. minima plants, the next picture is of one pot with E. americana plants etc. I realize now it could be interpreted differently.

I've seen E. fragilis growing in the ground in at least two different botanical gardens. And if it's possible in my climate, I'm sure you will manage as well. Usually the Ephedra plants grow on a hill or rock garden to ensure good drainage in the wetter seasons. Speaking of E. fragilis, here's a var. campylopoda sucker cutting growing a new root after a couple of weeks:

So taking sucker cuttings with a small portion of root still attached is a way to propagate Ephedra, but success is not guaranteed. Especially sucker cuttings with a thicker, woody stem never seemed to work out for me. Regular cuttings are almost impossible to root from what I've read.

Offlinemrmazdarx9
Pffffttt

#26182159 - 09/11/19 04:21 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Ok cool ill have to have a play with it, ill buy more seeds too see if i cant have any luck.

--------------------
COCA GROWERS UNITE
UK OTD uk members chat
Right Here

Offlinemrmazdarx9
Pffffttt

#26183501 - 09/12/19 08:05 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Its a little untidy
My Ephedra distachya ssp. helvetica

--------------------
COCA GROWERS UNITE
UK OTD uk members chat
Right Here

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26183735 - 09/12/19 10:12 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Beautiful plant! Do you keep it outdoors or in an unheated room during the winter perhaps?

Just for clarification, the sucker cutting I posted about above is normally planted in sowing and cutting soil with some added sand and perlite. I had just unearthed it to see if it was doing anything, since it was sitting for over a month and hadn't grown any new shoots. I got a little impatient and broke off another piece of new root in the process..

Offlinemrmazdarx9
Pffffttt

#26184260 - 09/12/19 03:02 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

It currently just sits in the window ledge in my kitchen which is usually unheated.

Ok great ill remember that

--------------------
COCA GROWERS UNITE
UK OTD uk members chat
Right Here

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26256031 - 10/16/19 12:33 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

The E. fragilis var. campylopoda sucker cutting I posted about a month ago has pushed out a lot of new growth in the meanwhile. I'm assuming it has rooted just fine by now, but I won't be digging it up again anytime soon.

The E. aphylla Forssk. is still happily growing outdoors. It has produced more pollen cones (and not seed cones as I called it a while ago). Most Ephedra spp. are dioecious, so chances are practically nihil it'll get pollinated. I do have two sucker cuttings growing together in one pot, but I'm assuming they came from one mother plant. The second cutting is rather small and not flowering though.

OfflineCrispy224
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26271302 - 10/23/19 08:37 AM (4 years, 5 months ago)

the first two photos are E. Minima the seeds where sent by a very generous shroomery member... You know who you are. Thanks again fir helping me add this plant to my collection. And the last is an E. Sinica one of the first ones I started from 100 pack of seeds purchased on a Internet auction site, I would not suggest people look there fir seeds though out of those 100 that's the only one that sprouted.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26370864 - 12/09/19 12:42 PM (4 years, 3 months ago)

Those E. minima are looking great Crispy, well done! Mine are chugging along slowly, going into winter soon. They're still growing in a little greenhouse in front of a south facing window, together with a couple other Ephedra spp. I occasionally turn on a 20W aquarium CFL because the days are so short these days.

My two biggest plants' stems have cracked open at the base. I suppose it's due to being kept too wet for a couple of weeks, when they were still outdoors in rainy weather. I haven't watered them yet after I brought them indoors, and will keep them on the dry side. I don't think they suffered too much though since the pictured E. viridis is already pushing out new shoots.

Also, I bound the E. aphylla together so that they fit in a tight spot. I've read this species sometimes exhibits a climbing liana habit, which my plants seems to demonstrate. It's my fastest growing Ephedra specie.

InvisibleZifozonke
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26544649 - 03/19/20 12:51 PM (4 years, 10 days ago)

Ephedra lovers out there...Ahoy!!
Im hoping someone out there with some experience with these plants can possibly help me...

This plant was passed onto me without a name except I was told its "very special"
Im guessing (and hoping) its some kind of ephedra??

It has some clear/white fruit/seed on it at the moment.

Ive had a look on google but cant seem to match it to anything.
Any thoughts/ideas as to what I have
:cheers:

InvisibleFeroxx
Master of the Green Fist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cruel sun
Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: Zifozonke]
    #26544816 - 03/19/20 01:59 PM (4 years, 10 days ago)

quite possibly a rhipsalis

Offlineturtle_hermit
Psychedelic Ranger
 User Gallery

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: Feroxx]
    #26545396 - 03/19/20 07:46 PM (4 years, 10 days ago)

Sorry, brother. That's not a Ephedra.
It is a Euphorbia, likely Euphorbia tirucalli.

InvisibleZifozonke
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: turtle_hermit]
    #26545631 - 03/19/20 10:34 PM (4 years, 10 days ago)

Thanks for that turtle..
I didnt even think of looking at the euphorbias cause I was told its "special"...oh well-it will still be planted out and loved nontheless-but damn I was really hoping for something else.....

OfflineSugabearcrisp
Not Your Average Bear
Male User Gallery

Loc: maybe I had too much, too fast
Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: Zifozonke]
    #26559580 - 03/26/20 04:52 PM (4 years, 3 days ago)

So are you all growing this to use as medicinal plants, ornanentals or do you plan to extract the actives?

Read that ephedra grows wild in afghanistan and they have turned to harvesting it for meths

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8xwv83/drug-lords-have-figured-out-how-to-make-meth-from-plants

--------------------
This thread has been closed.

Reason:
Another pub thread
No crying in OTD
Click

InvisibleThe_Brown_Wizard
what?
Male

Loc: Southeastern Carpathians Flag
Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: Sugabearcrisp]
    #26561559 - 03/27/20 04:51 PM (4 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Sugabearcrisp said:
So are you all growing this to use as medicinal plants, ornanentals or do you plan to extract the actives?

From what I know you can get an amphetamine type rush even when ingesting ephedra in plant form, without any extraction.
Sounds like the type of plant matter I would like to have with me when a bit of an extra mental oomph might be needed to get something done.

I haven't tried using or growing so far but I might get my hands on some seeds soon and I'd like to try it mostly out of curiosity.  Also I can't say no to its medicinal properties since my lungs are shit

--------------------
:scaryshroom: There's a weird fuck lurking in these woods :scaryshroom:

Edited by The_Brown_Wizard (03/27/20 04:52 PM)

OfflineTramontane.STS
Ethnobotanical plant lover

Loc: UK
Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: The_Brown_Wizard]
    #26624369 - 04/24/20 10:23 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Does anyone know if you can grow Ephedras from cuttings, or maybe layering? Or can you only grow them from seeds?

InvisibleThe_Brown_Wizard
what?
Male

Loc: Southeastern Carpathians Flag
Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: Tramontane.STS]
    #26626073 - 04/25/20 01:51 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Some people on this thread grew them from cuttings successfully

I think it might be better than seeds since seeds go bad pretty fast

--------------------
:scaryshroom: There's a weird fuck lurking in these woods :scaryshroom:

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26832089 - 07/19/20 07:48 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Here's how my Ephedra plants are doing this summer.

The two oldest plants, E. viridis and E. nevadensis I bought around two years ago as small plants. I should probably give them a bigger pot as I'm planning to overwinter them outdoors this year.

I also had one E. sinica and E. major plant which were grown from old seeds. After putting them outdoors at the end of spring, there was a heatwave with lots of sun, which fried the E. major. Its stump is still a bit bendy so I'm keeping it around, but it's been like that for a couple of months so I don't have much hope. The E. sinica survived and is still chugging along!

This was a seedling from last year which was kept outdoors during winter in a plastic greenhouse. It was an experiment to see if it would survive. Here's a picture of four months ago after it started pushing out new growth after winter.

It obviously didn't mind being outdoors and sprung back to life when the first sun hit again and has been growing beautifully since. Here's a picture from today. It's an unidentified Ephedra sp.

The E. aphylla Forssk. took a beating from the heatwave as well but recovered.

The seedlings from last year are still indoors in a mini greenhouse. It's the E. minima, E. americana, E. chilensis and two unidentified Ephedra spp.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#27399952 - 07/24/21 05:56 AM (2 years, 8 months ago)

It's been a year since I last posted pictures of my Ephedra plants, so time for an update! I repotted all of them at the end of last summer, and kept them outdoors during winter, right until it started freezing day and night for over a week. After a day or two in this freezing cold and snow, I decided to bring them indoors to prevent the roots from freezing entirely.

When the weather got a bit milder again, I put them back outdoors. For some reason it has taken quite a while for them to start pushing out new growth. I had to remove a fair amount of yellow, dead stems after winter, so some plants look smaller than a year ago. Sadly most of my younger seed grown plants didn't survive winter. I forgot to water them for a too long period one time, so only one E. minima has survived.

E. nevadensis:

E. viridis:

E. aphylla:

E. minima and E. sinica:

Unknown Ephedra sp.
:

OfflineBig_Dub
I'm just some guy
Male

Loc: Los Angeles Flag
    #27402608 - 07/26/21 10:16 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

:camping:

--------------------
split_by_nine said:
click me you fuck

do the right thing

Offlinetututotutut
You...! You're not me!
Male User Gallery

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: Big_Dub]
    #27408058 - 07/30/21 02:23 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

ahhhhh how have i never seen this thread
HOW DID YALL START YOUR SEEDS?!?!
I tried everything!!

--------------------
yeah keep telling yourself that's voluntary

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: tututotutut]
    #27408112 - 07/30/21 05:42 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

I always had low germination rates with seeds I bought from online vendors. Probably they're too old, but usually a few would still germinate. Fresh seeds will readily germinate, and people reported to me that one year old seeds still had good germination rates. So just keep on trying from different sources or try to acquire fresh seeds. Also nicking the seed, letting it rehydrate in water, and surface sowing in a warm, moist and light environment will help with germination. Also, I bought my E. viridis and E. nevadensis plants on an auction site, so that might be an option as well. Or ask local botanical gardens if you can get some seeds or root suckers.

Offlinetututotutut
You...! You're not me!
Male User Gallery

#27408219 - 07/30/21 08:28 AM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Couldnt I just ask in the marketplace here?
Have other people complained of WSSs mahaung beans?

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#27842467 - 06/29/22 02:21 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

The Ephedra plants are back outside on the balcony. I took a few of them indoors during the winter because they were starting to look quite sad. Probably this wasn't necessary as it didn't continuously freeze for longer periods, but I did it anyway as a precaution. Especially the stems of the E. aphylla turned red from the cold, and considering this species naturally grows in the Middle East, it might not appreciate prolonged cold weather.

Other Ephedra species, especially E. viridis and E. nevadensis, will have a significant portion of stems turn yellow during the winter, which then fall off once it gets warmer again. The plants will grow new shoots from the older, thicker branches. To me it feels like a setback and I don't know if there's a way to prevent it. Maybe this is a normal process for these species.

From left to right: E. aphylla, E. viridis, E. nevadensis, unidentified species, E. minima, E. sinica

InvisibleWrightii
Stranger Danger

#27908976 - 08/19/22 12:22 AM (1 year, 7 months ago)

I (with effort) germinated a sinica seed about 2 years ago. It struggled a lot the first year but this year it came to life. So much so that i decided to harvest some.
Right after harvest:

Week after harvest:

You can already see the new shoots its making :smile:

I harvested about 10 gr dry weight of stem material.
Anyone any experience with extractions and the amounts needed?
For hobby purposes

--------------------
The Official Hericium Thread

Offlineturtle_hermit
Psychedelic Ranger
 User Gallery

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: Wrightii]
    #27909121 - 08/19/22 06:16 AM (1 year, 7 months ago)

Congrats, Wrightii.
No idea on extraction, but I believe you can brew as tea and drink this.

OfflineThe Dalcassian
Dirty Druggie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald lsles
Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: turtle_hermit]
    #28027721 - 11/01/22 11:46 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Yo, just ordered another 100 ephedra sinica seeds, this is gonna be my 3rd time attempting to germinate these little fuckers. I've planted 40 over the last couple of years. A couple sprouted but lack of understanding on my part led to root rot.

There's such a mix of opinions online, when it comes to germinating them, so I figured I'll try and do it a few different ways.

My main method is going be to use a cactus potting mix, with some pumice to help with aeration, germination trays will go, uncovered, into an unused aquarium with a small grow light above it. Aquarium will sit by a sunny window. Debating the use of a heat mat underneath (house is around 19°c/66°f). Also going to refrigerate the seeds in water for 2 days prior to planting.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful. Some info says humidity is essential, others say its not needed and increases the risk of rot. I've also seen advice say to just leave them in room temp water until they sprout. So ya.
Wish me luck

--------------------
Here Lies This Individual

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#28124220 - 01/04/23 11:27 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

My Ephedra minima plant is beginning to grow pollen cones for the first time. I think there's only one plant in the pot so probably it won't be able to get pollinated, but unsure about this. All the pollen cones had this little water droplet at the top. Two weeks later the droplets have disappeared. If all goes well, the pollen strobili will soon emerge.

InvisibleWrightii
Stranger Danger

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: Poison Drink] * 4
    #28245572 - 03/25/23 03:31 AM (1 year, 4 days ago)

My Sinica was touch and go the first 2 years or so, but cutting it back quite a lot this summer has seemed to do wonders. My plants always suffer in winter (the warm and arid indoors) but my stickbitch is hanging in there!
Summer:

Today, approaching spring (:grin::cool:):

While all my visitors wonder why it doesn't have leaves and why it looks like its perpetually dying, I'm a proud botanist.

Cheers!

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#28274527 - 04/12/23 02:10 PM (11 months, 10 days ago)

Adorable Ephedra sinica, Wrightii!

E. sinica has always been the slowest and less resilient one, of the few Ephedra species that I'm growing. And I have the same experience, they get a lot of brown stems indoors during the winter that break off easily. A few weeks ago, mine started to grow new shoots as well. Though when I put them back outside, they usually get shocked from the increase in sunlight, hence get brown stems and drop those again. Then it needs some more time to adapt and will grow new shoots later in summer.

InvisibleWrightii
Stranger Danger

#28507954 - 10/17/23 10:26 AM (5 months, 8 days ago)

It’s really becoming a bush. I neglected it a bit and it got overgrown by some weed this year. When cutting back the weed though it seems to have had a positive effect on its growth. It’s much denser and centered, instead of skinny legs all around.

--------------------

OfflineMoth-Man
Predictor of horror

Loc: Point pleasant , Ohio River
    #28508819 - 10/17/23 10:06 PM (5 months, 8 days ago)

What's you guys secret for starting seeds?

--------------------
“To hear a voice is one thing. But this isn't just a message, it's a prediction. It came true.”

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#28508930 - 10/18/23 01:33 AM (5 months, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Wrightii said:
It’s much denser and centered, instead of skinny legs all around.

It looks great! My E. sinica never grew upright with a thick enough stem to support that kind of growth. It's hard to judge the size of the plant though. It looks like it's in a rather small pot, or maybe the picture is just deceiving me. Is it a deeper type of pot? That would be ideal for Ephedra spp.

I didn't check out my Ephedra plants in a while. Hopefully it won't be a cold winter because I'd rather keep them outside this time. Even though for my geographic area, they seem to be doing better bringing them indoors during the coldest months, even though it probably isn't entirely necessary unless it's freezing for days on end.

Quote:

Moth-Man said:
What's you guys secret for starting seeds?

There are some tricks you can try like scarification, soaking them for a while, keeping them in a fridge for some weeks/months, planting them outside so they have the natural progression of seasons, etc. But the main factor is having fresh seeds in my opinion. I had a very high germination rate with fresh seed, which surprised me at the time because I likewise was always having trouble trying to germinate presumably old seeds from vendors.

There appears to be a paper that contradicts this, however that's not how I experienced it. The paper covers 'Mormon's tea' Ephedra though, like E. viridis and E. nevadensis, so maybe this is not applicable to all Ephedra spp.

OfflineDorky_Mom
Stranger

#28513187 - 10/21/23 03:22 PM (5 months, 4 days ago)

I know my account is new but I have been lurking for years and was actually surprised that I didn't actually have an account. Anyways... curious if it is against board rules to ask if anyone would be willing to do a seed/cone swap? Obviously with being a new account I would not opposed to sending mine first to wait for the receiver to send the swap to me. If it matters or not the ones I'm most interested in doing a trade with is E. Viri
dis that I harvested in multiple locations throughout Utah in the first 2 weeks of July this year. I can say that I have some pretty decent quality cones (well once I sorted through them And hand picked the top 10%) I also have other species that I may be interested in trading that I had imported but I spent a ridiculous amount of money to guarantee that would be of good quality. Photos are from I first collected them and after I sorted them.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: Dorky_Mom]
    #28513897 - 10/22/23 09:22 AM (5 months, 3 days ago)

Awesome that you have them growing in nature over there! I'm not entirely sure about the rules, but I believe once you made 50 posts, you get access to the marketplace subforum where trades can be made.

InvisibleNillion
Nobody

Loc: Terra Firma
    #28514194 - 10/22/23 01:35 PM (5 months, 3 days ago)

I have some Ephedra minima in my landscape which is lovely.
It is also a stoloniferous species, meaning that some of my plants spread through underground roots. Sometimes people call these runners.

The species is very attractive, but quite slow growing.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Ephedra Growers Unite [Re: Nillion]
    #28514264 - 10/22/23 02:15 PM (5 months, 3 days ago)

I would love to see some pictures of your landscape or wild Ephedra plants!

In the opening post, there's a picture of an E. minima patch in a botanical garden, of which I took some seeds to start my own plant.

InvisibleNillion
Nobody

Loc: Terra Firma
    #28514309 - 10/22/23 02:42 PM (5 months, 3 days ago)

I'll get around to it, but it might be a little while.
It had flower buds this year for the first time in spring but they didn't form fruit.

It's an interesting species.
I don't know much about it, but it looks nice.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals