Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Spirituality & Mysticism

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRorge
Scoundrel
Male User Gallery

Composing music
    #26050411 - 06/13/19 04:54 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

So I was spiritually dead for a while. It was so bad that I wasn't even addicted to cigarettes physically even though I smoked them daily.

Then after writing a few good songs, I became addicted to cigarettes again. And they taste better.

I tried meditating for about half an hour a day for half a year and that did nothing. I'm always too lazy to meditate either standing or sitting for extremely long periods of time a day.

I prayed 2 hours a day for 3 months which did nothing except it did inspire me to start writing music.

I've done a lot of meditation basically but the only thing that seems to move me in a direction I want spiritually is writing music. Playing an instrument doesn't do anything either, it's the act of coming up with a good song.

I wonder why this is. I studied music theory in college and you'd think if you could just string a few good notes together you could write a good song, but I've learned now that there has to be inspiration behind it, or you'll never come up with a good song.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePocketLady
 User Gallery

Loc: SoCal Flag
Re: Composing music [Re: Rorge]
    #26050458 - 06/13/19 05:22 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

"The books or the music in which we thought the beauty was located will betray us if we trust to them; it was not in them, it only came through them, and what came through them was longing […] For they are not the thing itself; they are only the scent of a flower we have not found, the echo of a tune we have not heard, news from a country we have never yet visited.” 

- C.S Lewis

"I play the notes as they are written, but it is God who makes the music.”

- Johann Sebastian Bach

:sun:

--------------------
Love is from the infinite, and will remain until eternity.
The seeker of love escapes the chains of birth and death.
Tomorrow, when resurrection comes,
The heart that is not in love will fail the test.

~ Rumi

The day we start giving Love instead of seeking Love, we will have re-written our whole destiny.
~ Swami Chinmayanada Saraswatir 

For daily spiritual quotes, follow me on Facebook here

Invisiblemt cleverest

Re: Composing music [Re: PocketLady] * 1
    #26052016 - 06/14/19 11:27 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

the trick of composing is to get out of your head which is what all spiritual practice is about right? music theory could be analagous to religion in that it might be helpful at first but eventually you have to leave it behind and just play what you hear

OfflineFryingmantis
Searching

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Composing music [Re: mt cleverest]
    #26055322 - 06/16/19 08:44 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

check out the book, "the war of art". Its a quick read and the audiobook can be streamed freely on the iphones podcast app.

I just listened to most of it today while driving from LA to San Diego.
Anyway, It provides a pretty concrete answer to your question (or theory for the healthy skeptic).
Its actually so much in relation of relevant feedback to what you're asking that its kinda weird that this is now the last thing I read be before I goto sleep. Synchronistic even, which is why i felt urged/obligated to write this despite being dead tired and needing sleep as its 5:40 am and ive got to get up in under 5 hours now..... I can explain more tomorrow after i rest.

:heart:

--------------------

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Composing music [Re: Rorge]
    #26055784 - 06/16/19 02:35 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Rorge said:
So I was spiritually dead for a while. It was so bad that I wasn't even addicted to cigarettes physically even though I smoked them daily.

Then after writing a few good songs, I became addicted to cigarettes again. And they taste better.

I tried meditating for about half an hour a day for half a year and that did nothing. I'm always too lazy to meditate either standing or sitting for extremely long periods of time a day.

I prayed 2 hours a day for 3 months which did nothing except it did inspire me to start writing music.

I've done a lot of meditation basically but the only thing that seems to move me in a direction I want spiritually is writing music. Playing an instrument doesn't do anything either, it's the act of coming up with a good song.

I wonder why this is. I studied music theory in college and you'd think if you could just string a few good notes together you could write a good song, but I've learned now that there has to be inspiration behind it, or you'll never come up with a good song.

Try transcribing music instead of trying to come up with a tune by writing it down.

OfflineSocalJosh
Wood Ninja
Male User Gallery

Re: Composing music [Re: chibiabos]
    #26056689 - 06/17/19 12:51 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

I believe composing music in itself is an act of meditation.

To be truly in the moment playing what has not been written, feeling what has yet to be described, manifesting your inner creativity. This is the way to truly compose music and is also a state of being.

Jam out.

Forget the "thought process" until making music feels like muscle memory.

Our best inspiration comes from within. From passion derived from sincere experience.

Only when we can clear our mind can we hear what we ourselves have to say.
Be it through music or any other act of passion and love. Some people sit and literally meditate, others like myself(and possibly you) play music.

The satisfaction of composing a piece of your imagination into a musical experience for all to enjoy is hard to compare.

Also weed really helps myself and many others reach this "auto-creative" state.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

General Interest >> Spirituality & Mysticism