Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMegaMush
Stranger

Chances of success fruiting in non ideal conditions?
    #26049939 - 06/13/19 10:39 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Hi folks. I have a grow kit sitting on my window sill. The summer we were expecting hasn't arrived. Which means that temperatures on the window sill varies and have been as low as 10-12C at night. The cake is fruiting but the growth is stunted/slow. Which is to be expected with lower temperatures. But what I'd like to know is whether it's possible to grow to maturation under such conditions and whether anyone else has done so?

Thanks.

The picture below is the current state of the cake. (Recently turned to its side because quite a few popped up there.)

Edited by MegaMush (06/13/19 11:28 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesooperdooper
lazy fuck
Male User Gallery

Loc: This one place
Re: Chances of success fruiting in non ideal conditions? [Re: MegaMush]
    #26049972 - 06/13/19 10:54 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

yikes... yea thats a little cold. do you have a space heater you could put in your room?

but to answer your question,

possible? yes.

ideal? no.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
99.9% of what i say is a lie...the other, gibberish. :stoned:

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Loc: United States Flag
Re: Chances of success fruiting in non ideal conditions? [Re: sooperdooper]
    #26049992 - 06/13/19 11:04 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Please use the image uploader here. It removes all your tracing data and no one has to use an off-site link. It's right above your text entry box, it looks like a little landscape with a mountain.

With that said, are those the outdoor temps or the literal temp of the windowsill?

You can for sure fruit them, you will get fruits. It will be very slow. It was getting down into those temps here until just a week or two ago.

What are the temps in your house kept at? If it's at least 15.5c+ you're going to do fine. I recommend moving it a bit away from the windowsill though. It'll be better overall with worse lighting but warmer temps and less temp variance.

OfflineMegaMush
Stranger

#26050033 - 06/13/19 11:29 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

sooperdooper said:
yikes... yea thats a little cold. do you have a space heater you could put in your room?

but to answer your question,

possible? yes.

ideal? no.

Thanks for the reply.

The temperature only dropped to around those levels at night. At the moment according to my crappy cheap half broken thermometer the temperature is around 22-24c room temperature.

Edited by MegaMush (06/13/19 11:32 AM)

OfflineMegaMush
Stranger

Re: Chances of success fruiting in non ideal conditions? [Re: ShaperDreaming]
    #26050035 - 06/13/19 11:31 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ShaperDreaming said:
Please use the image uploader here. It removes all your tracing data and no one has to use an off-site link. It's right above your text entry box, it looks like a little landscape with a mountain.

With that said, are those the outdoor temps or the literal temp of the windowsill?

You can for sure fruit them, you will get fruits. It will be very slow. It was getting down into those temps here until just a week or two ago.

What are the temps in your house kept at? If it's at least 15.5c+ you're going to do fine. I recommend moving it a bit away from the windowsill though. It'll be better overall with worse lighting but warmer temps and less temp variance.

It was the indoor temp on the window sill at night. At the moment if my crappy cheap half broken thermometer is correct the temperature is around 22-24C.

Thanks for the tip and the reply.

Edited by MegaMush (06/13/19 11:31 AM)

Invisiblesooperdooper
lazy fuck
Male User Gallery

Loc: This one place
    #26050041 - 06/13/19 11:32 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

np dude :thumbup:

Quote:

ShaperDreaming said:
you're going to do fine. I recommend moving it a bit away from the windowsill though. It'll be better overall with worse lighting but warmer temps and less temp variance.

seconded

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
99.9% of what i say is a lie...the other, gibberish. :stoned:

Offlinethisbliss
Stranger

#26050069 - 06/13/19 11:50 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Are u in UK dude? Summer has not arrived. If so I'd recommend go into a homebase and get an 8w heated seed propogator. Some water in the base and position ur cake or whatever above the water. Lid on and that's it. Fanning and misting are optional. U will have more fruit than know wat to do with

OfflineMegaMush
Stranger

Re: Chances of success fruiting in non ideal conditions? [Re: thisbliss]
    #26050080 - 06/13/19 11:56 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

thisbliss said:
Are u in UK dude? Summer has not arrived. If so I'd recommend go into a homebase and get an 8w heated seed propogator. Some water in the base and position ur cake or whatever above the water. Lid on and that's it. Fanning and misting are optional. U will have more fruit than know wat to do with

Yup. Yeah astronomical summer hasn't began yet. But if it were anything like last year the sun should be out by now. I guess it's not a good idea to take the weather for granted. I'll be investing in the construction of a grow box possibly at the end of the month. In the meantime I have financial constraints.

Edited by MegaMush (06/13/19 11:59 AM)

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

#26050095 - 06/13/19 12:06 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

thisbliss said:
If so I'd recommend go into a homebase and get an 8w heated seed propogator. Some water in the base and position ur cake or whatever above the water. Lid on and that's it.

I don't recommend this. There's really no reason to heat cubes at all, and you're very likely to cook your substrate. Ambient temps in your home should be good enough. I've fruited cubes in the 50f's (10c) before, they're just really slow. 22-24c daytime temps will be fine.

Offlinethisbliss
Stranger

#26050115 - 06/13/19 12:14 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Dude I appreciate the concern most mycologists frown at what I use and I was dubious of it at the start. But seriously I think I have stumbled on a sweet setup. It raises the temp 5-10 degrees which is necessary where I am. And no joking my cakes can't stop pinning! I give them the odd spray but it's really not necessary. They retain a beautiful glistening surface on their own. In fact its working so well that I find it hard going away because I comeback and everything is overgrown with spores everywhere in space of a few days. I think the secret to it is the relentless humidity. It's obvious the cubes luv it.

InvisibleSir Pentinite
Stranger all the time.

Loc: ation Location Location
Re: Chances of success fruiting in non ideal conditions? [Re: MegaMush]
    #26050119 - 06/13/19 12:17 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

My indoor temps range from about 9 to 27°C throughout the year, so I improvised a temperature-controlled incubator for winter. I've been tempted for a while to make a thread about how I did it for about US$50-60, but incubators don't seem to be thought of highly around here. :shrug:

I used it for a few weeks until someone remembered to turn on the summer. Seriously, went from 10°C outside and raining to 30 and clear overnight.

--------------------
"I thought to myself 'Boy, I'm sure glad there's nobody here to see this because this is exactly the sort of thing that gets people riled-up and they assume you're dying and that something has to be done. Where if you're alone, you know, you either come through it or you die, but in any case you avoid the fuss.'"
- Terrence McKenna

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Re: Chances of success fruiting in non ideal conditions? [Re: Sir Pentinite]
    #26050172 - 06/13/19 12:52 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

To each their own. I wouldn't recommend using a kit ever either. If you need to warm your myc do it using ambient temps (i.e. radiant heat). Don't use space heaters that are fan based. I have a space heater that's dedicated to my mushrooms for winter months, it's an oil based radiator. Improve the heat in the air nearby, try to avoid direct contact heat.

Offlinethisbliss
Stranger

Re: Chances of success fruiting in non ideal conditions? [Re: Sir Pentinite]
    #26050181 - 06/13/19 12:54 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Megamush those propagators cost like 15 quid. Seriously I don't know how people work without some form of heat in uk. I use ityear round apart from when we get really hot weather. Which is about two weeks of the year. I've found temperatures up to 25 Deg inside the prop are fine.

Offlinethisbliss
Stranger

#26050187 - 06/13/19 12:57 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

I hear ya shaper dreaming. In theory it doesn't sound good especially the standing water. It was a last resort as various fcs I had tried were given me poor results.

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

#26050202 - 06/13/19 01:03 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

65f-75f is the recommended cube range (give or take)... and I like those temps too as a human :wink:

Hell, I'm not even saying don't do it. I tried that shit once too. The only way to know about a lot of this is to learn. I keep trying to use my heating pads to do weird shit too (my next idea is to use them to create ambient heat in my greenhouse/Marth :lol: ), but every time I use them with mushrooms shit goes poorly for me.

I moved back in March and it was getting down to 20f (-6c) at night outside and my internal temps were in the mid 40f's (4.5c). I cooked some subs trying a few ideas. It was the oil based radiator that finally fixed it all for me (and my place became tolerable until the fucking landlord fixed it). We all go through our shit. (Also, even with those temps I still grew mushrooms indoors before I got some heating elements going!)

Offlinethisbliss
Stranger

Re: Chances of success fruiting in non ideal conditions? [Re: ShaperDreaming] * 1
    #26050268 - 06/13/19 01:36 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Yea those space heaters are probably a good route to go. Someday I'll try again with a sgfc and use the space heater. Could never get to grips with that bloody sgfc!! I had the prop and figured it was worth a go

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

#26050273 - 06/13/19 01:38 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Have you tried shoeboxes (see my signature)? Even if you only do cakes... you can still shred to shoeboxes.

Offlinethisbliss
Stranger

#26050287 - 06/13/19 01:44 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Nope but that's my current project. I'm getting into grains and fingers crossed I think I've finally got a batch on the grow that will finish. Planning to just throw in a shoebox and case. Want to just see what it's capable of before I then compare it to bulk sub probably Coco in a mono. See if the extra work is worth it

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

#26050297 - 06/13/19 01:50 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Good luck! Sounds like you're going to nail it.

Offlinethisbliss
Stranger

#26050316 - 06/13/19 02:00 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks bro. Just got a read thru ur Tek. Very comprehensive. Debating now whether to forget about mono and use Coco in shoeboxes? I'm like you in that I'll have to order Coco online so I don't have any at the mo.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate