Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Hot Plate, Malt Extract, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Reagent Testing Kit, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
OfflineDunedinite
Actually a cat

Loc: Dunedin, New Zealand Flag
The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread * 8
    #26047492 - 06/12/19 08:23 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Ahoy there all you beautiful people of Aotearoa New Zealand.

Recently I've gotten into cultivation and I've very rapidly learned that there's a number of differences between cultivating in New Zealand and cultivating elsewhere.
We have totally different names for some things that lead to weird confusions.
Other things are much cheaper here, or much more expensive, so alternatives are better.
Still other things are unavailable entirely!

Currently, if you want information specific to NZ, you have to PM someone, ask in the yearly hunting thread or hope that a Kiwi swings by your 'Mushroom Cultivation' thread.
It seems to me that we would thoroughly benefit from a single thread that all Kiwis can swing by and find information tailored directly to our needs.

Get amongst it!

I'll try to keep this post updated with various options for supplies so that people don't have to wade through the whole post trying to find info.

Pressure Cookers

For a large, good-quality pressure cooker you will likely have to bite the bullet and order it off Amazon or some such thing. Indian foodmarts and Asian grocers also sell pressure cookers. Stores such as Briscoes sell electric "set-and-forget" pressure cookers, although the largest is 8L. These are also more expensive than getting a 22L stovetop one from Amazon. It's preferable to get one with a pressure gauge. Many pressure cookers available here will only get to 7.5psi, meaning sterilisation takes twice as long.

23qt Presto from Amazon, shipping included - $218.98 (From chipsandwhich's comment)

Petri Dishes

You can buy disposable, plastic petri dishes; reusable, glass petri dishes; or PP5 containers. PP5 containers can be found at any supermarket. Make sure they're PP5, other plastics will melt/deform in your pressure cooker.

Crescendo - Lab supply company
  • 20pk 90mm plastic petri - $5.20 (excl. GST)
  • 1pk 100mm glass petri - $3.35 (excl. GST)

Interlab - Lab supply company. Enquire to find pricing. They sell both plastic and glass, of various diameters.

New World - PP5 containers can be bought here
  • 1x 210mL 'Value' brand container = $2.35
Kmart - Very large range of containers in a great variety of shapes and sizes.
  • 4 x 250mL 'Anko' brand containers = $2.50

Media Bottles

Quote:

inski said:
    Quote:

Bobbit said:
    Media bottles, the more expensive ones (locally) have better seals and can handle a PC run while sealed if cooling naturally. If buying from China, you are rolling the dice. Please report back if you get a good roll.

You don't need expensive bottles, the seal doesn't matter because you always leave the lid loose when sterilising agar, just cover the top with foil.

Crescendo - Lab supply company

Interlab - Enquire to find pricing.

Aliexpress

Jars

Good-quality mason jars are what is preferred here. It is possible to use regular jars that you'd get product in from the supermarket but these are more prone to cracking, especially with repeated use. Good mason jars are much more expensive in NZ than elsewhere. 'Ball', 'Quattro', 'Agee', 'Perfit', and 'Mason' are all good brands. I'm personally unsure about the quality of 'Kates Kitchen', 'Living and Co', and 'Frutta del prato'. There's also other "off-brand" jars available.

Wide = Wide Mouth | Reg = Regular Mouth

Pak'N'Sav - Only sells individual jars.[LIST]
  • 500mL Perfit Reg = $3.49
  • 1000mL Perfit Reg = $4.39
  • 500mL Kates Kitchen Reg = $3.29
  • 1000mL Kates Kitchen Reg = $3.49

New World - Only sells individual jars.
  • 500mL Perfit Reg = $3.89
  • 1000mL Perfit Reg = $4.89
  • 500mL Kates Kitchen Reg = $3.49

Arthur Holmes - Good for bulk purchases. If you buy in bulk it appears that they have free shipping. They sell Quattro mason jars although they do not have the widemouth varieties.
  • 250mL Quattro Reg = $4.10 per 1 | $39.37 per 12
  • 500mL Quattro Reg = $5.28 per 1 | $50.71 per 12
  • 1000mL Quattro Reg = $5.86 per 1 | $56.21 per 12

Little Ink - They do not always have stock, but they have a wide range. It appears they sell Kerr, Ball and some other off-brands.
  • 250mL (8oz) off-brand Wide = $5.50 per 1 | $55 per 12
  • 700mL (24oz) Ball Wide = $10 per 1

Briscoes sells everything. Perfit, Ball, Quattro, Kates Kitchen, and likely others. They have both wide mouth and regular mouth varieties. They sell both individually and in packs. They are typically more expensive than elsewhere, but Briscoes being Briscoes means that you can wait for 70% sales or whatever and get good prices.

Stevens sells Agee, but prices are high.
  • 240mL Agee Wide - $6.99
  • 500mL Agee Reg - $7.99
  • 1000mL Agee Reg - $8.99

Kmart - Very cheap jars in packs of 6 or 3. Unsure of quality as they seem thin.
  • 300mL 6pk Reg - $6
  • 550mL 3pk Reg - $6
  • 1000mL 3pk Reg - $6

Other places to find cheap preserving jars are dollar stores like '$ n sense'.

Good quality jars can also be found cheaply on Trademe, or at Op Shops.

Grains and Seeds

"Any grain will 'work' but rye berries are the gold standard because of low starch content.  They're easy to shake and don't turn to mush.  Get the rye." - Roger Rabbit

You also want to get whole grains. Kibbled, rolled, hulled or anything like that is not appropriate as the starch will leak out and you'll end up with a mess. If you're buying Wild Bird Seed (WBS), get it without corn.

Milmore Downs - As of the time of this writing they have organic rye for $0.90/kg
Cost is $0.90/kg + GST + $18.00 to deliver nationwide (additional $14 for a rural delivery). 25kg is therefore $43.88
They also sell wheat, barley and dinkel/spelt

Seeds And Cereals - Good range of grains and seed.
  • 25kg bags of Barley, Black Oats, White Oats - $29.50
  • 25kg bags of Wheat - $12.70
Bin Inn - Unfortunately it seems that they sell few wholegrains unless buying birdseed, which is mixed grains/seeds.
  • Poultry Wheat - $1.90kg

Mitre 10New World
  • 10kg 'Value' brand Poultry Wheat - $11.49
CountdownPak'n'Sav
  • 'Value' brand Poultry Wheat - $11.49
Lincoln Grain - free shipping within Canterbury
  • 30kg Wheat - $23

Agar and Agar Ingredients

Agar Agar
Easily purchased at any Asian or Indian grocer. Will cost approximately $3.50. You can also buy 500g from Aliexpress for $34.76.

Light Malt Extract (LME)
If you are making MEA (Malt Extract Agar), you will need LME, known in NZ brew shops as 'Light DME' (Light Dry Malt Extract). There are many options. If you have access to liquid and dry, use the dry. If you have access to dark and light, use the light. Be very careful with storage as it's hydrophilic asf and will suck moisture from the atmosphere. (Chur Bobbit for the info)
Dextrose

Alcohol for sanitising

DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL. The reason this is so commonly used is because in the USA is is cheap and available everywhere. Here it is expensive and only available at hardware stores. Buy methylated spirits instead, you can find this at the supermarket, dairy, anywhere, and it's cheap at ~$5 a bottle. Additionally, in New Zealand, methylated spirits does not contain methanol or weird other shit. It is 99.9% ethanol with dye and bittering agent added. Ethanol also burns cleaner and hotter than iso. Dilute your methylate spirits to 70% when using for sanitation.
  • Pak'N'Sav is cheapest at $4.29/L

Edited by Dunedinite (09/16/19 12:02 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebw86
Doesn't play well with others

Loc: 7b
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: Dunedinite]
    #26047564 - 06/12/19 09:14 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Edited by bw86 (06/12/19 09:16 AM)

Offlinemicz33
Bushcrawler
    #26048601 - 06/12/19 05:51 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Awesome work thanks. Following

InvisibleMr.Mouse
Sir
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: micz33]
    #26048613 - 06/12/19 05:56 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

FWIW, I found telephone brand Agar Agar at Bin Inn

OfflineDunedinite
Actually a cat

Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: Mr.Mouse]
    #26048650 - 06/12/19 06:17 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Yah! Agar seems to be decently easy to get hold of at places like Bin Inn or any Asian/Indian grocer. About $3 - $3.50 for 25g. If you're doing shitloads of agar work, it might be worth hitting up Aliexpress to buy 500g (~2000 plates), but for just a few dozen plates that's probably not really worth.

--------------------
The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread - for those of us looking for New Zealand-specific assistance!

Check my journal for my attempts at growing mushrooms!

"Don't accept that what's happening
Is just a case of others' suffering
Or you'll find that you're joining in
The turning away"

OfflineBobbit
Even Stranger

Loc: The outsideround Flag
    #26048711 - 06/12/19 06:40 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

you can get petri & media bottles from Crescendo or interlab
I recommend buying the more expensive German media bottles as the seals are much better quality.

Check the physical size and see if it fits your pressure cooker. The first one I bought didn't and I had to make a rack to support it on an angle.

--------------------
The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread

Official New Zealand woodlovers grow thread

–––––    ╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮    –––––
The Official Kiwi DMT and MAOI Thread

OfflineSlushrooms
Stranger
Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: Bobbit]
    #26049327 - 06/13/19 03:05 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Are you guys using the schott bottles for LC and agar storage or something else?

Pressure cooker and jar brands?

I've been eyeing up plastic jars rather than my preserving jars.

Labwarehouse is a great source for bits and bobs. Overnight delivery and no trade account required.

InvisibleBagels
Huntress
Female User Gallery

Loc: NZ
Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: Slushrooms]
    #26049366 - 06/13/19 04:04 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

I bought one of these but it is gathering dust. Free shipping within the US so I used Youshop to ship it to NZ. I think it cost me more to get it shipped than I paid for it  :tourettes:  This was an open box purchase and it arrived in perfect condition. I ordered a spare regulator as well. It will take the large Agree jars. These jars are like what they call Mason jars in the US. I had to search around quite a bit to find them. I think you can still buy the screw top bands and the lids in supermarkets.

Presto 1755 16-Quart Aluminum Pressure Cooker/Canner

OfflineDunedinite
Actually a cat

Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: Slushrooms]
    #26049372 - 06/13/19 04:13 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Slushrooms said:
Are you guys using the schott bottles for LC and agar storage or something else?

Pressure cooker and jar brands?

I've been eyeing up plastic jars rather than my preserving jars.

Labwarehouse is a great source for bits and bobs. Overnight delivery and no trade account required.

I haven't really hit LC yet. I'll probably do it using the large collectins of Barker's bottles that I have unless someone points out to me why I shouldn't?

In terms of jars: Mason jars are stupid expensive here, but it sounds like regular boring old jars should be fine mostly, with a couple of mason jars for master cultures. Best source I've found so far (aside from trekking around op shops) is Arthur Holmes. Seems to be decent price, especially if you're buying bulk, and it seems like the bulk options have free shipping too. You can pick up 35x 500 mL jars for $38.59. Or if you want mason jars, 12x 500 mL jars for $50.71. I'm not too sure if plastic jars are as good for sterility, although if they're PP5 they should go through your PC fine.

My pressure cooker is a Prestige 1970's antique from the op shop that cost me $10 hahaha.

I'll also check out that LabWarehouse site!

--------------------
The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread - for those of us looking for New Zealand-specific assistance!

The turning away"

OfflineJustAMushroom
Kept in the dark...
I'm a teapot

Loc: New Zealand
    #26049394 - 06/13/19 04:36 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Laser Kiwi!

great thread idea, I'll be here often.

I ordered my agar from ebay - 50g bottles for $5.98. free shipping.
Agar at Bin Inn?? Thanks for the tip.

OfflineBobbit
Even Stranger

Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: Slushrooms] * 1
    #26049439 - 06/13/19 06:07 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Bagels said:
I bought one of these but it is gathering dust. Free shipping within the US so I used Youshop to ship it to NZ. I think it cost me more to get it shipped than I paid for it  :tourettes:  This was an open box purchase and it arrived in perfect condition. I ordered a spare regulator as well. It will take the large Agree jars. These jars are like what they call Mason jars in the US. I had to search around quite a bit to find them. I think you can still buy the screw top bands and the lids in supermarkets.

Presto 1755 16-Quart Aluminum Pressure Cooker/Canner

I went for a 23qt Presto, which it was about NZ$270 IIRC shipped. Looks like they got cheaper. Does the 16qt fit a 500ml media bottle standing up?

Quote:

Slushrooms said:

The schott are the bomb, definitely worth the extra couple of bux. I'm using pint and 1/2 pint jars for LC. Making my first LC ever (oyster) so wish me luck. Made lids with SHIPs and spiral filters just in case.

For quart jars (1L agee) keep an eye on trademe. You can pick them up for $1-2each (or less)

--------------------

OfflineDunedinite
Actually a cat

#26049454 - 06/13/19 06:22 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

I might actually update the OP regularly with good sources for equipment and supplies hah.

--------------------

The turning away"

OfflineBobbit
Even Stranger

#26049476 - 06/13/19 06:38 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

1/2 pint widemouth kerr mason jars with lids Little ink when they are in stock. Perfect for brf cakes

--------------------

Invisiblechipsandwich
I'm a teapot

#26049626 - 06/13/19 08:31 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Would you guys recommend buying this or should I splash out on the 23qt presto bobbit posted

InvisibleSir Pentinite
Stranger all the time.

Loc: ation Location Location
    #26049851 - 06/13/19 10:44 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Bobbit said:

Does the 16qt fit a 500ml media bottle standing up?

I'd be surprised if they did not. My standard round 500ml media/Schott bottles are only about 4mm taller than regular-mouth quart jars with a plastic lid and that PC will take quart jars. Keep in mind I don't actually have one of those PCs.

OfflineDunedinite
Actually a cat

Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: chipsandwich]
    #26050385 - 06/13/19 03:39 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Quote:

chipsandwich said:
Would you guys recommend buying this or should I splash out on the 23qt presto bobbit posted

The only issue I see with that one is it doesn't have a pressure gauge. Aside from that I don't see why it would be an issue. It looks plenty big enough and if you want to upgrade in the future then you could always sell it as they have good resale value if in good nick.

--------------------

The turning away"

OfflineBobbit
Even Stranger

Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: Sir Pentinite]
    #26050393 - 06/13/19 03:43 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Quote:

chipsandwich said:

I started with a smaller cooker of the same design. I find the pressure gauge particularly useful. I also get the imoression that they run at around 12psi, though this is unconfirmed.

This is one of your most important mycological tools. Spend the extra cups of coffee. You really won't regret it.
Quote:

Sir Pentinite said:
Quote:

Bobbit said:

Does the 16qt fit a 500ml media bottle standing up?

I'd be surprised if they did not. My standard round 500ml media/Schott bottles are only about 4mm taller than regular-mouth quart jars with a plastic lid and that PC will take quart jars. Keep in mind I don't actually have one of those PCs.

Good to hear. Just wanted to help others avoid my cockup.

--------------------

Invisiblechipsandwich
I'm a teapot

#26051097 - 06/13/19 10:14 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Thanks guys, just got the 23qt presto. Pains ne how much shipping is, more than the actual pressure cooker, however, still cheaper than buying the same product from Australia. It would've been free shipping if I was in the US...

OfflineDunedinite
Actually a cat

Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: chipsandwich]
    #26051244 - 06/13/19 11:57 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Is there really no decent, well-priced PCs available here?

--------------------

The turning away"

Invisiblechipsandwich
I'm a teapot

#26051255 - 06/14/19 12:04 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Not that I could find, didn't look too hard though. I couldn't be bothered going cheap and encountering problems

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Hot Plate, Malt Extract, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Reagent Testing Kit, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation