Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < First | < Back | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next > | Last >
OfflinepsilocybiNZL
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Mushroom Land Flag
Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: Dunedinite]
    #26129294 - 08/10/19 04:42 AM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Dunedinite said:
Quote:

psilocybiNZL said:
@Dunedinite: Any news on that libertycap?

Sorry, what liberty cap? My stuff on agar is doing fine. I've actually been waiting for Shroomery to come back up so I can go through Workman's old stuff and see how they got theirs to fruit. I think I also have another thread saved too...

My fault, I thought I saw you post somewhere that you had found a libertycap. I must be imagining things. :grin:

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDunedinite
Actually a cat

Loc: Dunedin, New Zealand Flag
Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: psilocybiNZL]
    #26129390 - 08/10/19 08:52 AM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Quote:

psilocybiNZL said:
Quote:

Dunedinite said:
Quote:

psilocybiNZL said:
@Dunedinite: Any news on that libertycap?

Sorry, what liberty cap? My stuff on agar is doing fine. I've actually been waiting for Shroomery to come back up so I can go through Workman's old stuff and see how they got theirs to fruit. I think I also have another thread saved too...

My fault, I thought I saw you post somewhere that you had found a libertycap. I must be imagining things. :grin:

I've definitely found semis :P I thought you might've been asking about something in particular. I've got semis on agar atm, and now that shroomery is back up, I've been looking how to fruit :smile:

--------------------
The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread - for those of us looking for New Zealand-specific assistance!

Check my journal for my attempts at growing mushrooms!

"Don't accept that what's happening
Is just a case of others' suffering
Or you'll find that you're joining in
The turning away"

OfflineWanderingEye
Stranger
    #26130365 - 08/10/19 10:52 PM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Are you guys growing subs for interests sake or do they actually give reasonable yields?

OfflineBobbit
Even Stranger

Loc: The outsideround Flag
Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: WanderingEye]
    #26130370 - 08/10/19 10:59 PM (1 year, 5 months ago)

I’m more interested in ensuring anyone who wants magic in their garden can have it. . .

My p.sub block yielded 50 or so this year. Haven’t tested potency yet. Aparently cultivated cubes are stronger. Not sure if this translates to woodlovers.

From the other woodlover growers in here, it sounds like a garden patch can be surprisingly rewarding.

This thread is for all NZ cultivation. I’m just working with what I have (for now :wink:)

--------------------
The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread

Official New Zealand woodlovers grow thread

–––––    ╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮    –––––
The Official Kiwi DMT and MAOI Thread

OfflineDunedinite
Actually a cat

Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: WanderingEye]
    #26130607 - 08/11/19 06:32 AM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Quote:

WanderingEye said:
Are you guys growing subs for interests sake or do they actually give reasonable yields?

Cubes aren't really common in NZ since they don't grow wild and the main way to get them is by bringing them into the country, through customs...

I'm growing subs because of the above and also because I want to get them growing around my place to be harvested during autumn. I'm also keen to try out ways of fruiting them indoors and out of season.

I've also just put semis to grain, so that'll be another fun experiment, and it also sounds like they're pretty easy to grow outdoors by simply burying grain outdoors.

--------------------
The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread - for those of us looking for New Zealand-specific assistance!

The turning away"

OfflineSlushrooms
Stranger
Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: WanderingEye] * 1
    #26131250 - 08/11/19 05:49 PM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Quote:

WanderingEye said:

Several years ago SWIM explanted a gill taken from a sub to agar, found growing near a Dunedin beach. This was then transferred to bird seed and allowed to fully colonise. During summer, this was then mixed in a 25L garden pot with woodchip that had been soaked and drained several times, to leech tannin. SWIM planted a single Carex testaceae in the pot. It is kept in a spot that receives direct sun at least half the day. It is watered frequently enough to keep the Carex alive, but is generally pretty dry.

The pot yields approximately 1oz dry per flush each season, with 2-3 flushes per season. SWIM has to replace the bark a minimum of every two years or it turns to dust. SWIM has moved several times and it fruits reliably.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

OfflinepsilocybiNZL
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Mushroom Land Flag
Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: WanderingEye] * 1
    #26131261 - 08/11/19 06:07 PM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Quote:

WanderingEye said:

Living costs in New Zealand are rising, so brewing your own alcohol, or what ever you use to relax does save money.

Also it's easy to explain if subs are growing in your yard in bark in the garden, trying to explain cubes might be a bit harder. Also the chance of me being an astronaut is very low, so mushrooms are the next best thing.

Quote:

Slushrooms said:
The pot yields approximately 1oz dry per flush each season, with 2-3 flushes per season

28.349 grams for us non pot heads :P

OfflineBobbit
Even Stranger

Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: Slushrooms]
    #26131305 - 08/11/19 06:48 PM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Slushrooms said:
Quote:

WanderingEye said:

Several years ago SWIM explanted a gill taken from a sub to agar, found growing near a Dunedin beach. This was then transferred to bird seed and allowed to fully colonise. During summer, this was then mixed in a 25L garden pot with woodchip that had been soaked and drained several times, to leech tannin. SWIM planted a single Carex testaceae in the pot. It is kept in a spot that receives direct sun at least half the day. It is watered frequently enough to keep the Carex alive, but is generally pretty dry.

The pot yields approximately 1oz dry per flush each season, with 2-3 flushes per season. SWIM has to replace the bark a minimum of every two years or it turns to dust. SWIM has moved several times and it fruits reliably.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Thats 40-60 decent trips per season. If everyone had that in their backyard. . !

SWIM has p.sub on agar and some grain and some jars and some wood chips.

Would you mind creating a Tek thread and SWIM can copy and supply photos?

--------------------

OfflineSlushrooms
Stranger
Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: Bobbit]
    #26131703 - 08/12/19 01:57 AM (1 year, 5 months ago)

I havent got the time/materials to write one up atm,sorry.

But in all honesty, its really straight forward. Getting it to take on agar was the hard part.

The bark used is just the light chip from council gardens, not the large bark nuggets (which is stained using coal). Take a supermarket bags worth, put it in a bucket and cover it with water. Drain it after a week, and repeat.

You could use this substrate as your jar medium if you wanted, just pc a half quart in a quart jar and do agar to woodchip, same as any other species.

Keep that jar in a cubboard for a few weeks and it should be fully colonised. When you are ready, pop the bark into a pot up to about 2/3 full (choose a plastic pot that is not black, mix the colonised medium up in the center of the pot and plant a native grass (root trainer size, about 15cm tall) in the center. By mid summer it should be pretty much fully colonised and buy the end of summer it will be completely consolidated and you will be able to lift the whole substrate out by the grass. It should fruit that autumn/winter.

Wait until after the second season to refresh the substrate. When you do, remove the stuff that turns to dirt, dont be afraid to break some of the cake up and mix it up. The myc will bounce back. Refreshing the substrate keeps them feed, when the substrate degrades slugs will eat the myc.

My theory is that the grass helps maintain consistent moisture for the myc over summer and high humidiy in the pot when fruiting. This pot was left on a garden that had been mulched with fresh macrocarpa shreddings, the next year that whole garden fruited!

Sorry about grammar, I'm in my phone

OfflineBobbit
Even Stranger

#26131706 - 08/12/19 02:04 AM (1 year, 5 months ago)

:microwave:
That sounds easy and awesome. SWIM has multiple sub strains on agar, and will try both grains and PC’d wood.
:carlton:
Will take plenty of photos. Need to find a good name. . . Slushrooms sanity ch(t)eck

--------------------

OfflineSlushrooms
Stranger
    #26131736 - 08/12/19 03:58 AM (1 year, 5 months ago)

No problem. SWIM was surprised it worked so well, and at how damn resilient they are. The pot currently has about 3 cups of dust in it and it still threw up fruit this year!

OfflineDunedinite
Actually a cat

#26131842 - 08/12/19 08:12 AM (1 year, 5 months ago)

I've been putting agar straight to pinecones I've run through a blender. All I did was soak the pinecones with a bit of potash and blend them. I didn't sterilise anything, pasteurise or leech (beyond the soaking), so there's grass, baby pines and a myriad of other fungi growing throughout, but the sub mycelium is super aggressive and resilient.

I'd personally recommend it as an easy thing to do, IDK if colonisation of grains would be quicker, but I'd say about 2 months to colonise 2L of ground pinecones, at the rate we're going at currently.

It's getting to the point where I'm wondering if it could benefit from being shaken up a bit, like is done with grains...

--------------------

The turning away"

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #26132260 - 08/12/19 02:55 PM (1 year, 5 months ago)

There's a lot of green in there, probably Trichoderma, it's what you'll generally see with that technique.

--------------------

OfflineDunedinite
Actually a cat

Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: inski]
    #26132480 - 08/12/19 05:58 PM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Yeah... it's not the cleanest, but I've seen some of the myc grow over it, so it doesn't really seem to matter much, although I guess it's throwing spores all throughout my house... :shrug:

--------------------

The turning away"

OfflineHefee
Stranger
    #26133161 - 08/13/19 03:37 AM (1 year, 5 months ago)

What do you guys think of this fan for 400CFM needs?

as far as i can tell it should work for filter of 610x610mm ?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Small-and-medium-sized-single-suction_62228210452.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.64.19e73f34hGsZnZ

OfflineSlushrooms
Stranger
Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: Hefee]
    #26133179 - 08/13/19 04:51 AM (1 year, 5 months ago)

That thing gone be loud. Make sure to use a prefilter on it. A pvc chimney will help move the fan noise away from your face.

OfflineBobbit
Even Stranger

#26133215 - 08/13/19 06:01 AM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Hefee said:
What do you guys think of this fan for 400CFM needs?

as far as i can tell it should work for filter of 610x610mm ?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Small-and-medium-sized-single-suction_62228210452.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.64.19e73f34hGsZnZ

I wouldn’t buy unless you know it can deal with the back pressure caused by the main filter + pre-filter.

Look for the test performance chart like

To find the pressure drop caused by your filter, it should have a similar graph or an ‘initial drop’ In Pa.

It’s not just about the amount of air it can push . . .

--------------------

OfflineSlushrooms
Stranger
    #26133830 - 08/13/19 03:37 PM (1 year, 5 months ago)

TBH, I wouldn't skimp on building your filter if you are going to diy one.

In my experience using an axial fan better deals with the back pressure Bobbit mentioned, they are probably more accessible and a lot quieter too.

OfflineBobbit
Even Stranger

#26134300 - 08/13/19 08:33 PM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Slushrooms said:
TBH, I wouldn't skimp on building your filter if you are going to diy one.

In my experience using an axial fan better deals with the back pressure Bobbit mentioned, they are probably more accessible and a lot quieter too.

I'm led to believe that centrifugal fans produce more pressure with less flow?
Most of the flowhood teks in here seem to use squirrel blowers for that reason?

--------------------

OfflineSlushrooms
Stranger
    #26134657 - 08/14/19 01:09 AM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Im guilty of not having looked at builds on here, sorry. However, ive assisted with constructing 6 of them myself.

You are correct re squirrel vs centri., but its easier to get quality centrifugal fans here (with a warranty) than squirrel ones. Ive never seen a squirrel fan for sale locally. The combined advantages of centrifugal, in my opinion, is it is easier to ensure adequate pressure in your housing and across the filter without baffles, quietier (still loud), and accessability/warranty.

I generally suggest centrifugal for those reasons. Im happy to be schooled otherwise.

Jump to top. Pages: < First | < Back | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | Next > | Last >

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation