Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Agar, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Laminar Flow Hood, Mycobags, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleNoobie77
Stranger
Mycobags innoculated with B+ strain...18days & no growth
    #2604709 - 04/26/04 03:03 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Purchased 4 mycobags(straw) and 10cc B+ spore syringe. I innoculated each bag with 2.5 cc's of spores. The bags are in a plastic storage bin approx. 28x22x18 inches. I have a plexi-glass panel supported 4 inches from the top of the bin which has a self-adhesive reptile aquarium heater on it(does not produce an excessive amount of heat). Each day I air out the bin usually 3 times. I also keep a damp papertowel on the topside of suspended plexi-glass right over the heater for humidity(the heater is thin and 6*8 inches and is on the bottom side of the plexi-glass). In summary... the bin has kept the temperatures between 72-78 degrees F and the humidity ranges 92-99%. It has been 18 days and there is no sign of any growth whatsoever. I was told it would take usually 14 days to see growth in a mycobag, and 21-30 days for complete colonization(for a strain that colonizes at an average speed). Is it reasonable to assume that mine are taking longer because the temp. isn't particularly that high and that B+ is a slow colonizer.... or has my first attempt at growing failed?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mycobags innoculated with B+ strain...18days & no growth [Re: Noobie77]
    #2604802 - 04/26/04 03:35 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

OK... first of all, MycoBags don't need outside humidity. They are in a sealed bag. Also, if the outside of the filter patch is damp, contaminants can, and do, get in. With MycoBags, the moisture needs to stay on the inside. If the outside is wet... moisture will travel through the patch. Outside contaminants will likely get in.

Smell the patches... if they smell like anything other than straw, your bags have contaminated. Sorry, if they have contaminated, there is nothing you can do. It was likely your fault. The outside of the patch was wet.

If they smell fine, you can try again... also if they smell fine, contact your spore vendor for a replacement syringe. It could be a dud. Be very nice when asking for replacements. Most vendors are very reasonable... if you are nice.

In fact, even if you did get contamination, politely contact MycoBag. They are very good to newbies. They would hate to lose your business. You might be surprised... perhaps they will replace something too. But, they shouldn't have to. It sounds like you may have accidentally messed things up.

It happens a lot. Don't worry.

They don't need to ba fanned 3 times a day... when they are colonizing either. Once every couple of days is fine, but leaving them in the

Noobies always use all of their spores (DON'T). You can, and often do, fuck up. Sucks when you fuck up and have no spores left.

If you try again, follow this advice.

After injecting, you should crush the bag... and make sure you inject the spores properly. Inject the syringe so it squirts the inside wall of the bag as well as the substrate. Spores between plastic and substrate tend to start quicker... and you can see the colonization begin sooner than if you inject the middle of the bag. Also, injecting the middle often stalls growth... as does injecting without mashing the bag.

Next time, you should use grain MycoBags. Straw is best used as bulk spawn. Grain is better for spore inoculation.... and multiple flushes. Grain bags have more nutrients and hold more moisture... thanks to the added vermiculite.

Welcome to The Shroomery.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleNoobie77
Stranger
Re: Mycobags innoculated with B+ strain...18days & no growth [Re: Rose]
    #2605125 - 04/26/04 05:00 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I appreciate the reply.

I did not break up the substrate in the bag. The patches smell only like straw, the patches look quite dry. The substrate doesn't seem excessively wet from the outside moisture, and the bin was new and then sterilized. So is it possible that i have only stalled it, only under the condition that it has not been contaminated?

Thanks for your time.

InvisibleHallucinogen
Raoul Duke

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: Mycobags innoculated with B+ strain...18days & no growth [Re: Noobie77]
    #2605205 - 04/26/04 05:18 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Next time save yourself alot money and do cakes, its not that hard and youll have more shrooms.

--------------------
Substrate + jars = $20
Magic Mushroom spores = $12
Growing your own Magic Mushrooms = Priceless

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mycobags innoculated with B+ strain...18days & no growth [Re: Hallucinogen]
    #2606497 - 04/27/04 03:13 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

BS... the right bags make a lot of shrooms. Better... and more plentiful than PF cakes. Grain is simply more nutritious than BRF. That and, 1 lb MycoBag cakes are much larger than 1/2 pint PF style cakes. And, if you buy jars and a pc... are you really saving money or spending more? Of course, with the right PC, you could make your own big bags.

But straw is not the best substrate to use to inoculate spores. That, and straight straw tends to give one good flush, before finishing. Poo/straw works better than straight straw.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

InvisibleHallucinogen
Raoul Duke

Loc: Amsterdam
    #2606517 - 04/27/04 03:17 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

12 jars, $3.99, brf + verm $8.00, PC is NOT needed, I used pot and lid and had 100% success, so the whole thing cost 25% of what the bags cost.

--------------------
Substrate + jars = $20
Magic Mushroom spores = $12
Growing your own Magic Mushrooms = Priceless

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mycobags innoculated with B+ strain...18days & no growth [Re: Hallucinogen]
    #2606555 - 04/27/04 03:25 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I thought you might reply like that.

Remember, BRF isn't as good as grain. Sure, BRF can be steam steralized (sort-of)... but a PC is vital to bulk cultivation.

If you want to cultivate with the big boys, you simply need a PC.

Until you can work with grain, MycoBag is better than BRF... but yes, it is costly too.

So... if you want more shrooms, that are full sized and BIG, you either need MycoBags, or a PC so you can work with grain, and poo/straw.

Trust me PC's get things STERILE..

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineNoG
journeyman

#2606670 - 04/27/04 03:43 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

since when was a pc vital to bulk cultivation.

pasteurize means to heat food in order to kill harmful microorganisms.

i.e the food your mycelium is wanting to munch and colonize.

sterilizing zaps the lot leaving no good microorganisms to protect the bulk substrate from contams which increases risk. unless your completely sterile at all times with the bulk substrate which can be very hard.

Later NoG

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mycobags innoculated with B+ strain...18days & n [Re: NoG]
    #2606735 - 04/27/04 03:55 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

OK... you can use pf cakes and spawn them to poo/straw without a pc... but you shouldn't use multispore injection of cakes when you do a bulk grow, you want to start with a well selected substrain... or an agar wedge... or cloned tissue... or a good fruiting liquid inoc.

If you are using bulk grow methods, chances are you won't be using spores and PF cakes. It is too unreliable... you never know if the cake will be a good fruiter until it fruits. That is just the nature of multispore injection. It is a turkey shoot.

And I didn't mean to imply that you needed a PC for poo/straw. You would need a PC if you were making your own poo/straw bags. But usually you would pasturize the poo/straw like NoG said. The PC would be for the grains.

Also, a PC could steralize larger jars and cakes than 1/2 pint. 1/2 gallon jars are MUCH bigger than 1/2 pint jars.

But, you need a PC for agar and grains. You need a glovebox or a flow hood for grain to grain and agar work. Grain is better and WAY FASTER than BRF. It is more nutritious, and it is shakable... these things speed colonization.

Imagine taking a spoonful of grain from one colonized jar and starting another jar with that spoonful. PF Tek does not allow for GTG (Grain to grain) simplicity.

Try doing a bulk grow without a PC. I want to know how far you get. It is possible... but you will likely be disapointed with the results.

If you have only done PF TEK, you wouldn't know the joys of grain, you wouldn't know the ease of bags... and you would know nothing of the results bags or grain will give.

I am not dissing the PF tek. It is great for newbies... so are bags. But... grain and a pc is the easiest way to do everything.

Are you begining to see why bags are a good choics for a Newbie? They are simple, you don't need so many gadgets, and they are self contained.

By the time you are done with your bags, you could have purchased all the things you will need for your next grow. You can skip the PF tek completely... and you won't be stuck with a shitload of useless 1/2 pint jars.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Agar, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Laminar Flow Hood, Mycobags, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation