Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA Flag
Re: Testimony of Jesus Christ from a 90's tripper [Re: saved7] * 1
    #26485617 - 02/14/20 03:05 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

saved7 said:
They had actually seen the resurrected Christ in the flesh.

The resurrected Christ didn't have flesh, it was his ethereal body.  The whole point of him allowing himself to be crucified was to show the unimportance of the body, that we are eternal though it is not.

:etjesus:

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesaved7
follower
Re: Testimony of Jesus Christ from a 90's tripper [Re: Forrester] * 1
    #26492777 - 02/19/20 03:00 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Forrester said:
Quote:

saved7 said:
They had actually seen the resurrected Christ in the flesh.

The resurrected Christ didn't have flesh, it was his ethereal body.  The whole point of him allowing himself to be crucified was to show the unimportance of the body, that we are eternal though it is not.

The Gospel of John Ch.20 ... following Jesus's death and bodily resurrection:

Now Thomas, one of the twelve, called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord.” But he said to them, “Unless I see in his hands the mark of the nails, and place my finger into the mark of the nails, and place my hand into his side, I will never believe.

Eight days later, his disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.”  Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe.”  Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!”  Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

The disciples of Jesus would not have begun risking their lives over some ghostly apparition.  They physically handled his crucified and resurrected body.  All doubt was eliminated.  And from that point on, the fear of death had no power over them.  Death became like a squashed insect to be trampled underfoot, because Jesus defeated it on the Cross.

Previously, the Roman cross and public method of crucifixion was the ultimate symbol of earthly power of the Empire, used to strike fear into the hearts of slaves.

In 3 days, one man turned that terrifying picture of punishment and tyranny into the ultimate image of salvation and freedom. 

O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

-1 Corinthians 15:55-57

Furthermore...
The human body, being created in the Image of God, is like a micro-cosmic Temple of God.  God communicates with his creation through human consciousness. 

Jesus alludes to this himself when the Jewish temple authorities confront him.

Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
  - John 2:19
(Jesus predicting his death and resurrection after 3 days)

In our current bodies we are corrupted, cursed, and barren temples full of idols that we cling to and that keep us separate from God our Creator.  But at the end of this world all things will be made new in Jesus Christ.  He paid for our curse.  He unlocked the grave and left an empty tomb behind him.  All we have to do is accept and believe what Jesus did for you and me on that cross.  Eternal truth and life is right there for the taking...

Jesus is right there knocking on the door to your heart.  Will you answer it?

--------------------
"Who do you say that I am?"
- Jesus quoted in the Gospel of Matthew

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Re: Testimony of Jesus Christ from a 90's tripper [Re: saved7]
    #26492935 - 02/19/20 07:27 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

thanks for sharing :smile:

Quote:

saved7 said:
Jesus is right there knocking on the door to your heart.  Will you answer it?

I have, I just read a different book than you :peace:

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Edited by Forrester (02/19/20 08:12 AM)

Offlinesaved7
follower
    #26493081 - 02/19/20 09:16 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Forrester said:
do you think you're convincing anyone by quoting the bible as if it were fact?  I mean I appreciate it, but you're wasting your time.  And you're not even basing your argument on if it were fact - "the disciples WOULDN'T have..." :rolleyes:

The Bible is historical evidence.  You can question it, you can doubt it, but it is there and it is compelling.  (See "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel for example:
t=786)

Look at your own assertion that "the resurrected Christ did not have flesh" ... You offered no evidence or any argument at all, yet you condescend that I've not met your standards.  Once again it just confirms to me that this isn't really about evidence.  It's about our hearts.

In the book of Acts ch.5 Jesus' followers are being threatened by the Jewish high priests for preaching His name, and one of the priests says this:

Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.

In other words... the Jewish people were quite familiar with revolutionary figures appearing on the scene with all sorts of bold claims stirring up followers.  And they (quite incorrectly) assumed that Jesus was just another one of these.

Jesus' followers were people... regular people like us.  They weren't gullible dummies.  They wouldn't have decided to stick their necks out for just anything that came along. 

We wouldn't have the Gospels and the New Testament if something didn't change these people, profoundly.  Jesus Christ fundamentally changed them, just as He continues to change the hearts of atheists in the 21st century. 

How did this one man change the world by dying bloody on a cross 2000 years ago?

Is it too much to consider the possibility that Jesus simply was who He said He was?... that His tomb lies empty because He really did rise from the dead?

--------------------

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Re: Testimony of Jesus Christ from a 90's tripper [Re: saved7] * 1
    #26493091 - 02/19/20 09:21 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Dude I've explained this before, the bible has been too heavily edited for me to believe much of it.  How many times has someone been converted by you spouting verses in their face from a book they don't believe in?

It doesn't work that way.  I've written off the bible as not trustworthy, and a random person on the shroomery isn't going to change my mind.  Or anyone's. 
:peace:

--------------------
-------------------

Edited by Forrester (02/19/20 09:22 AM)

Offlinesaved7
follower
    #26494545 - 02/20/20 07:23 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Forrester said:
Dude I've explained this before, the bible has been too heavily edited for me to believe much of it. 

This is a myth.  Bibles from the late middle ages are nearly identical to those in the early centuries AD.  And there is a wealth of manuscript fragments to compare.  The Bible is one of the most well preserved documents we have from the ancient world and antiquity.  Even skeptic scholars will concede this.

Where there are differences in translations, they are insignificant (changed spellings of words, etc.) and don't effect anything meaningful.

I think we surround ourselves with these myths to keep from hearing the truth.  When it's just you and Jesus facing each other, you won't be able to withstand the truth,  so you have to pile up these falsehoods like a wall to prevent that encounter from happening.  The more you honestly approach the words and figure of Jesus Christ, with an open heart, the more you begin to feel the blindfold slipping off.  When that veil finally drops, it's just you and God and there's no going back.

Quote:

Forrester said:
How many times has someone been converted by you spouting verses in their face from a book they don't believe in?

To be honest, I have no idea.  If I have planted a seed in just one reader, then all these posts are worth it.  They may not even realize that seed is now in them until years later when God increases their understanding, and maybe they'll remember reading these words.

I used to laugh at Christians.. I thought it was all a joke.  And every now and then I'd come across someone witnessing online, throwing a Bible verse at me here and there.  And then one day, all of a sudden, my heart changed and I knew it was true.  Whereas I was blind, now I see.

We pretend it's some big mystery why this world exists, why we exist... we re-invent and repackage materialistic cosmologies and tell ourselves it's all an Epicurean sea of atoms doing their thing.  We lie to ourselves.  We know there is a God.  We know that we've separated ourselves from Him and deny Him.  And we hate Christians especially because there is something about the Cross of Jesus Christ that stirs us and makes us uncomfortable.. that this man willingly went to that painful death, and that He professed that He did it to save us...

Quote:

Forrester said:
It doesn't work that way.  I've written off the bible as not trustworthy, and a random person on the shroomery isn't going to change my mind.  Or anyone's. 
:peace:

In my opinion, I think you're looking for reasons to doubt it, and have not opened your heart to the possibility that it could be true, that Jesus is who He said He is... that the Gospels written of Him are actually true.

--------------------

OfflineVibeUp
Stranger
Male

#26494683 - 02/20/20 08:46 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

saved7 said:
In my opinion, I think you're looking for reasons to doubt it, and have not opened your heart to the possibility that it could be true, that Jesus is who He said He is... that the Gospels written of Him are actually true.

You're not a mind-reader. Many people have given the Christian Bible a fair consideration and didn't find it compelling. Others such as myself have simply judged it to be outright immoral and therefore obviously not from a god.

I've read The Case for Christ and Lee's attempt at proof is made through deduction instead of evidence. There is simply no way to know that Jesus said and did the things attributed to him. Just because those particular myths have been preserved through time doesn't make them more significant to other religious myths (of which there are many) that also survived for thousands of years.

You'd do well to study many different religions and I think you'll discover that they are imperfect attempts to explain that which is unknown. When they develop dogma, they become obstacles to free thinking.

--------------------
"When you get the message, hang up the phone."—Alan Watts

OfflineMarkas
Stranger
    #26495119 - 02/20/20 12:42 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Please do not use critical pejoratives in this subforum. This sub is not designed for critical debate, anyway, so if you wish to post that way, do it in PSP, and do it more respectfully.

Edited by DividedQuantum (02/20/20 12:48 PM)

InvisibleFiery
Sword of Fire
Other User Gallery

#26497842 - 02/21/20 11:32 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

saved7 said:

I think there is something sad about the psychedelic experience, in that, for a moment you are able to experience God's creation, the majesty of nature and the power of the human mind, but then it is usually all chalked up to some ambiguous divine intelligence pervading the universe, or the supposed divinity of nature and humanity itself.

\\\

:orly:

So. It's not real then!

Did you want to speak to the office

Invisiblepacmanbreed
 User Gallery

Re: Testimony of Jesus Christ from a 90's tripper [Re: Fiery]
    #26497965 - 02/22/20 04:43 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

saved7 said:

I think there is something sad about the psychedelic experience, in that, for a moment you are able to experience God's creation, the majesty of nature and the power of the human mind, but then it is usually all chalked up to some ambiguous divine intelligence pervading the universe, or the supposed divinity of nature and humanity itself.

OP gets it. That material can't suffice.:thumbup:

Offlinesaved7
follower
Re: Testimony of Jesus Christ from a 90's tripper [Re: VibeUp] * 1
    #26500164 - 02/23/20 04:34 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

VibeUp said:
Quote:

saved7 said:

You're not a mind-reader. Many people have given the Christian Bible a fair consideration and didn't find it compelling. Others such as myself have simply judged it to be outright immoral and therefore obviously not from a god.

Is it immoral for God to destroy the wicked and evil?
Are you a better judge of righteousness than the Creator of the universe?
What right does the clay have to question the potter?

Quote:

VibeUp said:
I've read The Case for Christ and Lee's attempt at proof is made through deduction instead of evidence. There is simply no way to know that Jesus said and did the things attributed to him.

There's "simply no way to know" anything if you apply enough hyper-skepticism.  How do you know you really exist in this physical world, and you're not really hooked up to the Matrix?  In this life at least, you will never have enough evidence that doesn't leave at least a small place to doubt.  This is a philsophical box we put ourselves in to hide from the truth. 

If you want to doubt, God lets you doubt.  Understand that even ancient Israelites who directly witnessed divine miracles in their very presence began doubting almost immediately afterwards.  This is basically the theme of the entire Old Testament... God doing amazing miracles for His people, and then they turn their backs on Him.  Thomas did not truly believe until he handled the nail-prints in the resurrected Jesus's hands.  The New Testament actually reads as witnesses recalling an encounter with divinity that they couldn't quite believe was actually happening, but ultimately could not deny the truth thereof... followers who ultimately went on to preach the salvation of Jesus Christ even if it meant their death.

But doubt... that's what we do.  We doubt and deny God. 
Wasn't that the cause of our fall in the first place?
It's not about "evidence" and it never has been.  It's about our hearts.

I think that's why God chose to demonstrate His power through weakness. (suffering and dying for us on the cross) .. Instead of amazing and fulfilling our basic senses, it's a symbol that cuts straight into our hearts and reflect on the love and compassion and forgiveness our God has for us, and the lengths He will go to rescue us and bring us back to Him.

Quote:

VibeUp said:
Just because those particular myths have been preserved through time doesn't make them more significant to other religious myths (of which there are many) that also survived for thousands of years.

There is no other religion that compares with Christianity and the accounts of Jesus Christ.  What is like Him?  Where are the other religions with something like the New Testament?

There's nothing else even remotely like it.  This relatively unknown man Jesus coming on the scene and being publicly humiliated and executed, his followers being scattered in fear.  And yet by the close of the century, you have believers lining up to die in His name... not for a mighty Emperor of this world, but a man who died bloody on a cross, forgiving His attackers.

Christianity is the only major religion to have as its central event the humiliation of its God.  There is something He did there that pierces into the soul of even the fiercest skeptic.

And this isn't even getting into the numerous prophecies and foreshadows written of Jesus centuries and millenia before He was even born.  At a certain point, it becomes ridiculous to keep doubting, and you understand the meaning of the phrase: "Living Word"

But the evidence will never take you all the way there.  You have to have a heart that is open to receiving and surrendering to the Truth.

Quote:

VibeUp said:
You'd do well to study many different religions and I think you'll discover that they are imperfect attempts to explain that which is unknown. When they develop dogma, they become obstacles to free thinking.

The myth of modernity is that we're somehow 'evolved' beyond ancient man.  Most of our cosmological theories today are little more than re-packaged Epicureanism.

I think if you peer back into the past you'll find that people back then are pretty similar to people today... Putting all their faith and worship in themselves(Human Emperors/The State as god) and the material world as demonstration of true power(military might)...

It's amazing how Jesus used that very symbol of total earthly dominance (The Imperial Roman cross and death by cruxifiction used to punish any slaves that got out of line) to usher in a completely new age of seeking the kingdom of heaven through love and self-sacrifice.

--------------------

OfflineBlipstir
Human
I'm a teapot

Loc: CO Mountains
    #26510536 - 02/29/20 10:49 PM (4 years, 28 days ago)

ewww

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals