Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinestuckinatree90
Stranger
first time failed, won't give up. * 1
    #26043846 - 06/10/19 03:10 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

hey guys, I started 2 rye grain bags with pe6 and put them in compost I got from mycohaus. none grew and all of my trays spoiled. I went by the book. I tried to keep my area as clean as possible. airing and fanning it. keeping sure its humid enough.
I got some more spores and sterilized some wbs. now I have 7 jars of TC. 2 of them seem to be complete, but I don't think it's wise to jump into this without a professional opinion.
do these jars seem OK to put into a bulk substrate? am i even growing mycelium? lol they've been growing for i'd say about 2 weeks now.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineProfessor X
School for the Gifted
 User Gallery

Re: first time failed, won't give up. [Re: stuckinatree90] * 1
    #26043855 - 06/10/19 03:14 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

I can't tell if it's just bad pictures but those appear to be heavily contaminated. Did you use a MS syringe? You should start with agar.

--------------------

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Loc: United States Flag
Re: first time failed, won't give up. [Re: stuckinatree90]
    #26043863 - 06/10/19 03:17 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Your phone seems a bit like a potato in picture quality... so it's hard to say. The bottoms look not quite finished. The myc is super thick with these guys, which could indicate a few issues (looks a bit bacterial, and possible mold), but I think you're on the right path! When the bottom looks covered in white you might be in good shape, and try to take a better picture in the mean time :smile:

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy | UFOs | 2021
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
    #26043924 - 06/10/19 03:46 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Those last few jars kinda look like they are infected but it could just be the lighting/camera.

Offlinestuckinatree90
Stranger
Re: first time failed, won't give up. [Re: ShaperDreaming]
    #26043932 - 06/10/19 03:49 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

sorry for the bad pictures

maybe those are a bit better. its kind of hard to get a good picture with this phone. i was really worried it would be mold. it looked very fluffy and something about that seemed off to me. i just figured that the spores were loving the seeds. it showed life within a few days and really picked up quickly.

OfflineFractalMind
Werewolf
Male

Loc: USA Flag
Re: first time failed, won't give up. [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #26043934 - 06/10/19 03:50 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Millet based WBS seems way more resistant to contamination than rye. I have at least double the comtams using rye. Rye grain really should only be used for sclerotium.

Break them up one more time, if they are fully colonized after they recover you should be ok to move on to the next step.

Edited by FractalMind (06/10/19 03:52 PM)

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Re: first time failed, won't give up. [Re: FractalMind]
    #26043948 - 06/10/19 03:57 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Here's the thing, they don't look perfect. They are bacterial at the very least. Would I try to spawn them? Yeah, coir's cheap and who know's what you'll get. It's not deadly looking. Just monitor the grow closely and if it turns nasty colors dump it out.

Another thing, if you want to see how it's doing just shake the shit out of the jar until all the grains are (mostly) loose and bouncing around. Give it 48 hours to see if it starts regrowing fluffy mycelium. If so, let it recolonize then you're good to spawn.

Offlinestuckinatree90
Stranger
    #26043990 - 06/10/19 04:16 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

shaking the crap out of these jars wont hurt them at all? i mean... if it's bacteria then it doesnt really matter, huh? haha
thanks i'll try that. i have some sterilized mushroom compost. would it be beneficial in any way to put coco coir in it or just go straight up compost?

OfflineJimAndGiantShrooms
The Voyager

#26044014 - 06/10/19 04:25 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

No, it will not hurt the jars. Shaking half-way colonized jars is standard practice as it redistributes the mycelium and speeds colonization.

Edited by JimAndGiantShrooms (06/10/19 04:26 PM)

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Re: first time failed, won't give up. [Re: JimAndGiantShrooms]
    #26044185 - 06/10/19 05:50 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I often have to use the palm of my hand to smack jars against. It doesn't feel fun! Some people have broken jars over their hands this way (who are you strong fuckers?!), and Roger Rabbit recommends bouncing the jar off a bike tire... So whatever you choose just choose something that is strong and soft at the same time (i.e. it doesn't work when you beat it against a bed, too soft).

OfflineFractalMind
Werewolf
Male

Loc: USA Flag
    #26044260 - 06/10/19 06:16 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Pasteurize compost at 160-165ish degrees Fahrenheit for 90 mins, sterilization of compost is not recommended. You can do this in a water bath of some sort or use a foil pan in the oven. Candy thermometers are readily available at grocery stores.

In theory, even if there's a small bacterial contamination, if your mushrooms eventually fully colonize the substrate, they will have become the dominant species in the jar and you will have a higher degree of success.

Breaking up jars approximately once weekly on a pillow, bike tire, or something soft enough not to break the jar, is standard procedure. What you have seems to be very well colonized and healthy, and so breaking it up may allow the rest of the grains to fully colonize.
If they do not recover completely  I would say that the bacteria is too established to get efficient growth and may not fully establish itself on the bulk substrate.

I have seen slightly contaminated casing still fruit, albeit less efficiently. Probably you will only get 1 flush.

Edited by FractalMind (06/10/19 08:06 PM)

Offlinestuckinatree90
Stranger
Re: first time failed, won't give up. [Re: FractalMind]
    #26052288 - 06/14/19 02:16 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

update. those 2-3 jars didnt survive. it was definitely bacteria. although all of my other jars recovered just fine.

thanks for the help, guys

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation