Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShroomyMcPot
Male

Loc: TX
50/50 casing question.
    #2604025 - 04/26/04 07:53 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I want to grow some monsters so i'm going to try the 50/50 casing with some eq's. I couldnt really find a tek that answered my question so I'll ask it here. Does the peat moss in the casing layer provide any nutritional value for the fungus? Also I was going to use some compost (scots 3 in 1) over the crumbled cakes to add some extra nutrients then put the 50/50 on top of that. Is that plan sound. If anyone knows of a tek that is similiar to what Im talking about please post a link.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 50/50 casing question. [Re: ShroomyMcPot]
    #2604055 - 04/26/04 08:13 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

stay away from the scotts... its dirt, not compost and there are usualy chemicals like fungicides in scotts products

there is essentialy no nutrition in the casing layer...

Offlineredone
Errbody gettin'tRipsy
Loc: Right here^^^see, that's ...
    #2604086 - 04/26/04 08:32 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Prisoner is right, the casing layer contains no nutrition. That's what the substrate is for. According to Stamet's book The Mushroom Cultivator, the casing layer is there to provide moisture/humidity and to a certain extent, it facilitates CO2 build up in the post casing/pre-pinnind stage. That's what helps the myc colonize the casing layer.

Also, when using peat moss, make sure to pick out all the sticks, woodchips and non-moss shit. Otherwise you'll loose your casing to that nasty green mold.

AND - Scott's is BAD! If you want to integrate extra nutrition in the mix, my FOAF's dog has good results with adding store-bought manure into the substrae mix. The actual ratio is 1part BRF, 1.5 parts verm, .5 parts manure. Then sterilize and knock it up as usual.

--------------------
"I'm just lying to try and get attention again."

The events in question are not to my recollection.

OfflineShroomyMcPot
Male

Loc: TX
Re: 50/50 casing question. [Re: redone]
    #2604155 - 04/26/04 10:17 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks, for the tips. Here is what I think im going to do in layers from top to bottom.

casing layer: 50/50 mix with lime and calcium carbonate; just enough to cover the mycelium

Additional substrate layer: Pasteruized cow manure from garden store (pasteurized in an oven bag inside a pressure cooker for 30 minutes); about .75 inches of this.

Mycelium: Sliced cakes with a few crumbled pieces to fill in the holes.

Bottom layer: .75 inches of 50/50

One more question. In all my other cases i crumbled the whole mycelium layer, but in the 50/50 tek it mentioned slicing the cakes like cucumbers. Is this method better?

Offlineredone
Errbody gettin'tRipsy
Loc: Right here^^^see, that's ...
    #2604270 - 04/26/04 11:05 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

My FOAF has used the "slicing method" with much success. It's also known as the "Wafer Method". I like it too. IMO, the myc forms a stronger network, faster since it's not broken up into so many little chunks.

Also, for that bottom layer, I'd suggest pure verm. If you have it. It tends to have a lower potential for contams. The last thing you need is some hateful mold creeping up from beneath. By the time it gets to the top where you can see it, it's already too late. Secondly, don't spread that top layer too thin or you will defeat it's purpose.

--------------------
"I'm just lying to try and get attention again."

The events in question are not to my recollection.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix