Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

Loc: California, baby! Flag
Oakland becomes 2nd US city to legalize magic mushrooms * 13
    #26033994 - 06/05/19 08:58 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Oakland on Tuesday became the second U.S. city to decriminalize magic mushrooms after a string of speakers testified that psychedelics helped them overcome depression, drug addiction and post-traumatic stress disorder.

The City Council voted unanimously to decriminalize the adult use and possession of magic mushrooms and other entheogenic, or psychoactive, plants and fungi. Denver voters in May approved a similar measure for people 21 and older.

Speakers overwhelmingly supported the move, describing substances such as ayahuasca and peyote as traditional plant-based medicines.

Use of the plants “saved my life,” said one man who described himself as a former heroin addict. “I don’t how to describe it other than miraculous.”

Some offered mystical descriptions of the hallucinogens as providing spiritual healing.

The vote makes the investigation and arrest of adults who grow, possess, use or distribute entheogenic plants one of the lowest priorities for police. No city funds could be used to enforce laws criminalizing the substances, and the Alameda County District Attorney would stop prosecuting people who have been apprehended for use or possession.

Councilmember Noel Gallo, who introduced the resolution, had said decriminalizing such plants would enable Oakland police to focus on serious crime.

Amendments offered by Councilmember Loren Taylor added caveats that the substances “are not for everyone,” recommending that people with PTSD or major depression seek professional help before using them and that people “don’t go solo” but seek expert guidance and have a trusted friend present during the use.

The ordinance also directs the city administrator to come back within a year to provide the council with an assessment of the law’s community impact.

“Entheogenic plants and fungi are tremendous for helping to enable healing, particularly for folks who have experienced trauma in their lives,” Carlos Plazola, chair of the advocacy group Decriminalize Nature Oakland, said before the council meeting. “These plants are being recommended pretty extensively undercover, underground, by doctors and therapists.”

The Oakland Police Department did not respond to emailed messages from the Associated Press seeking comment before the meeting. Alameda County Deputy District Attorney Teresa Drenick declined to comment.

Magic mushrooms would remain illegal under both federal and state laws. Entheogenic substances are considered Schedule 1 drugs under the federal Controlled Substances Act, which categorizes drugs that have potential for abuse and no medical value.

Skeptics had raised concerns about unsafe use, especially in schools.

To address such concerns, Gallo said earlier, lawmakers would have to establish rules and regulations about the use of such substances, including what exactly can be used, how to use them and what associated risks are.

Entheogenic plants have long been used in religious and cultural contexts. Gallo remembers his grandmother treating his family members with plants, including entheogenic ones, for a variety of ailments.

“Growing up in the Mexican community, this was our cure,” Gallo said. Hemp oils, mushrooms and yerba buenas — an aromatic plant known for its medicinal properties — “that was our Walgreens. We didn’t have a Walgreens. We didn’t have a way to pay for any drugs. These are plants we have known for thousands of years in our community and that we continue to use.”

https://www.apnews.com/0179d69c527a4fa0a40b8c18e1e44f77

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFractalMind
Werewolf
Male

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Oakland becomes 2nd US city to legalize magic mushrooms [Re: sonoramo]
    #26034051 - 06/05/19 09:42 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Goddamn Oakland needs this more than anyone. Crackheads need to regenerate some neural connections bahahahahaahahahaha

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Keymaster
 User Gallery

Loc: hades
Re: Oakland becomes 2nd US city to legalize magic mushrooms [Re: sonoramo]
    #26034054 - 06/05/19 09:45 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Decrim, not legal..  that’s awesome.  Hopefully this continues.

--------------------
:mushroom2:Orange clock, pencil:bouncysmoke:
"They threw me off the hay truck about noon...":fishing:
:mushroom2:*Mark 15:34:levitate::mushroom2::blueninja:
Gam zeh ya’avor...:sunny:

InvisibleThermal Visions
Re: Oakland becomes 2nd US city to legalize magic mushrooms [Re: Amanita86]
    #26034107 - 06/05/19 10:12 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

:ooo:

Edited by Thermal Visions (06/05/19 05:01 PM)

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Keymaster
 User Gallery

Re: Oakland becomes 2nd US city to legalize magic mushrooms [Re: Thermal Visions] * 1
    #26034130 - 06/05/19 10:30 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Oh yeah, there’s always something fishy going on.  If there’s one confirmed thing the govt doesn’t care about it’s what people vote for, that much is painfully clear.  They’re always up to something..

I think another factor is that there are so many people getting locked up it’s actually becoming a problem and you can’t legalize murder (yet) so I think that’s their way of compromise, it’s their give to their take..  Business is too good in the privatized jailin’ business..

--------------------

OfflineShroomigan
Did someone say whippets?!

Loc: Turtle Island Flag
Re: Oakland becomes 2nd US city to legalize magic mushrooms [Re: Thermal Visions]
    #26034136 - 06/05/19 10:32 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

I hope salvia d. is included in this

--------------------
Terence McKenna's biggest fan

Invisiblejellyfish

Re: Oakland becomes 2nd US city to legalize magic mushrooms [Re: Shroomigan] * 5
    #26034348 - 06/05/19 12:14 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

people were hospitalized because of edibles in places where cannabis was legalized or decriminalized. Imagine what idiots will do with mushrooms. Those too uninterested to seek them out or grow them suddenly have a way of "getting fucked up". wouldn't be surprised if the end result is that they end up more illegal than they started, with a bunch of drunk idiots jumping off balconys as some kind of evidence. That's what happened in Holland. Girl drank a bottle of vodka, jumped off a balcony, shrooms were in her system, instaban. The US is a country where traditional european beverages like beer are consumed by young people via tube and funnel and traditional medicines like cannabis are concentrated and then smoked in a bong in one giant hit leaving the user couch locked and useless. Coca, traditionally chewed or brewed into tea is concentrated, freebased and smoked as crack.

All of these drugs are used responsibly in places where people grow up around them as part of their culture. In the US kids can't even try a sip of wine with dinner until they are almost finished uni.

I dunno. I'm worried. I want this to work out.

Offlinevaliant
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Oakland becomes 2nd US city to legalize magic mushrooms [Re: jellyfish]
    #26034412 - 06/05/19 12:52 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

when you thought the forest had enough people tripping in it

--------------------

OfflineWeebleWobble
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Oakland becomes 2nd US city to legalize magic mushrooms [Re: Thermal Visions] * 1
    #26034443 - 06/05/19 01:07 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Thermal Visions said:

You might object and say “It was the people who voted for this”, but the policy options that we’re allowed to vote on are the ones that the government itself has already sanctioned or is planning to.

This is not true.  Ballot initiates can be brought by the people. Denver just needed enough signatures to get it on the ballot, the govt couldn't do anything to stop it.  This is why Europe is so far behind in legalizing marijuana, because they don't have these initiatives and it requires politicians to stick their neck out.

Offlinetacodude
Old Soul
 User Gallery
Re: Oakland becomes 2nd US city to legalize magic mushrooms [Re: Shroomigan]
    #26034451 - 06/05/19 01:12 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Salvia is! Everything psychedlic is including ibogaine... This will be a massive development

Edit: Jellyfish you really don't know what you're talking about.... It's not like Europeans aren't dabbing and getting too fucked up.

Offline5150
phantom
 User Gallery
Re: Oakland becomes 2nd US city to legalize magic mushrooms [Re: tacodude]
    #26034456 - 06/05/19 01:16 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

But u gotta go to oaktown,fuck that dump

--------------------
"the way of the warrior is the resolute acceptance of death"

Miyamoto Musashi

Invisiblejellyfish

Re: Oakland becomes 2nd US city to legalize magic mushrooms [Re: tacodude]
    #26034465 - 06/05/19 01:21 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

tacodude said:
Edit: Jellyfish you really don't know what you're talking about.... It's not like Europeans aren't dabbing and getting too fucked up.

Alright. I have only been to one european country. The fact is people overdid edibles immediately after legalization and were hospitalized. Imagine never having done mushrooms, or even drugs, and then eating a handful and tripping balls in a hospital. All I am saying is I hope people are responsible and I'm worried this will go badly. The reason I brought up other countries is because natives in a traditional ceremony and a frat party are two different things and two different cultures.

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26034481 - 06/05/19 01:27 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Murder is legal if you are Gov person that carries weapons.  They shoot kids.

--------------------
"in sterquiliniis invenitur in stercore invenitur"

In filth it will be found in dung it will be found

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Oakland becomes 2nd US city to legalize magic mushrooms [Re: jellyfish] * 1
    #26034556 - 06/05/19 02:10 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

jellyfish said:
people were hospitalized because of edibles in places where cannabis was legalized or decriminalized. Imagine what idiots will do with mushrooms. Those too uninterested to seek them out or grow them suddenly have a way of "getting fucked up". wouldn't be surprised if the end result is that they end up more illegal than they started, with a bunch of drunk idiots jumping off balconys as some kind of evidence. That's what happened in Holland. Girl drank a bottle of vodka, jumped off a balcony, shrooms were in her system, instaban. The US is a country where traditional european beverages like beer are consumed by young people via tube and funnel and traditional medicines like cannabis are concentrated and then smoked in a bong in one giant hit leaving the user couch locked and useless. Coca, traditionally chewed or brewed into tea is concentrated, freebased and smoked as crack.

All of these drugs are used responsibly in places where people grow up around them as part of their culture. In the US kids can't even try a sip of wine with dinner until they are almost finished uni.

I dunno. I'm worried. I want this to work out.

This has nothing to do with OTC marijuana extracts. It doesn't allow for mushrooms to be concentrated into ridiculously potent doses, it doesn't even allow mushrooms to be sold as a retail product.

The only difference is now if you get caught with a small amount of mushrooms you don't go to jail.

As far as that is concerned, I don't follow your logic...

You are worried that mushrooms becoming decriminalized will cause them to become criminalized again? The worst case scenario is those things go back to the way they were...

Edited by Holybullshit (06/05/19 02:13 PM)

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Oakland becomes 2nd US city to legalize magic mushrooms [Re: Thermal Visions]
    #26034563 - 06/05/19 02:14 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Thermal Visions said:
I welcome the news, but I think the legalization of drugs is probably less a matter of the government becoming enlightened than it is a matter of the government searching for ways to subdue and pacify an increasingly restless and agitated public.

You might object and say “It was the people who voted for this”, but the policy options that we’re allowed to vote on are the ones that the government itself has already sanctioned or is planning to.

That's basically how democracy works...

Edited by Holybullshit (06/05/19 02:14 PM)

Invisiblejellyfish

Re: Oakland becomes 2nd US city to legalize magic mushrooms [Re: Holybullshit]
    #26034876 - 06/05/19 04:55 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

I am basically just worried about how the newspapers will spin the story the first time someone takes a high dose and does something dumb. But I am not coming with a solid argument or anything I am just considering scenarios. This is great news.

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Keymaster
 User Gallery

#26034921 - 06/05/19 05:10 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

I’m looking at the bright side and hoping since it’s decrim it won’t flood around.  Hopefully it will slow down the new people getting it and awareness will get around by the time it becomes legal should it go that way.  It’s certainly time to be on our best behavior.

It’s telling how we as a people in general can be so reckless around new things but I’m going to think positive about this one and hopefully anyone who is a noob acted their stupidity when weed came out and learned to be careful.  A brother can hope..

--------------------

Invisiblejellyfish

#26034945 - 06/05/19 05:26 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Yea I always just try to imagine the worst case scenerio. It really does depend on the media. If someone who hasn't read up on shrooms were to take a large dose while depressed and kill themselves the newspapers will either say they are not dangerous but must be used responsibly or they will say that demon drug magic mushrooms are killing people. A buddy showed me a news article today about kratom epidemic and how workers should be urine tested for it and meanwhile people are dropping dead from fentanyl. There's also a lot less money in mushrooms. So while as soon as weed was legal in Canada and big business were announcing things involving cannabis, every newspaper did a 180 and it was suddenly a safe drug you shouldn't be arrested for. Magic mushrooms will never be a giant industry, it's not normal to do them every day or even every month. So there's a lot less financial incentive to not just put something blatantly wrong about them killing people in a headline to get attention.

InvisibleThermal Visions
    #26034997 - 06/05/19 05:50 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

:ooo:

Edited by Thermal Visions (06/05/19 08:35 PM)

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Oakland becomes 2nd US city to legalize magic mushrooms [Re: jellyfish] * 2
    #26035002 - 06/05/19 05:52 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

I don't think people, even young people, have a very cavalier attitudes towards mushrooms, like they do cannabis.

People think the dangers of ingesting too much THC is just being super stoned, eating too much, and sleeping....they don't hesitate to consume stupid amounts.

Everyone is aware of what a horrendous experience a "bad trip" can be.

Not to mention dried cubes taste like ass, that alone is enough to keep most people from eating too many straight up.

The danger, besides from of course extracts(which are so rare as to not be a problem at all), is chocolates. But generally, if chocolates are involved, there is at least 1 person there with experience, who won't let someone scarf down 5 at a time.

Of course, there will always be stupid and reckless people, who are intentionally being stupid and reckless to garner attention...and when it happens you can count on the media to give them exactly what they wanted in the first place....more attention.

But as far as accidental overdoses, or being people careless, I'm not too concerned.

Edited by Holybullshit (06/05/19 05:53 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf