Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMhboundJR
Stranger
 User Gallery
Mobile,
    #26028618 - 06/02/19 12:59 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Let me make a mobile app. Has needed one for wayyyyy toooo long.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands, USA Flag
Re: Mobile, [Re: MhboundJR]
    #26028644 - 06/02/19 01:14 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

We are *super* aware that we need to improve the site's mobile compatibility. In fact I would say it's our highest priority. However, we have been online since 1997 and there is so much technological debt that it makes the project rather overwhelming.

We are not interested in pursuing platform-specific apps since it requires dealing with app store policies, maintaining separate Android and iOS codebases, etc. All the necessary functionality is exposed via HTML5, and using standards-compliant code we should be able to provide an app-like experience on any compatible platform. This includes things like real-time notifications, gesture support, etc. A couple years ago I had mocked up a couple proofs of concept:

https://www.shroomery.org/responsive/main.html is our main page, reproduced with responsive design

https://www.shroomery.org/responsive/ showcases the drop-down menu and our vision of how it could work on a mobile device.

We would like to expand on this approach. Thing is, the devil's in the details. Our site is a horrendous mess of non-conformant HTML, CSS, Javascript, some generated dynamically in PHP, some pulled from templates... you'd have to see it to understand, it would make most sane developers run the other way. This is a really large project that requires a highly motivated and dedicated individual with multidisciplinary knowledge who's willing to slog through some terrible code in the name of modernization. It's not the kind of thing that anyone would want to tackle as an informal side-project, it's a serious commitment.

That said, if you really think this is something that you're up for, we'd love to work with a capable individual who has patience for our site's many flaws and anachronisms. Have you inspected the HTML for a complex page like https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23582306? Do you have any kind of game-plan for how you would approach the daunting process of implementing mobile compatibility?

OfflineDbrown8958
Stranger
Re: Mobile, [Re: Ythan]
    #26028680 - 06/02/19 01:33 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

That would make it so much easier to view like some of the car forums and it would be great to have an app that notifies you instantly when messaged or a post is replied to. Great idea wish I knew how but if someone can much appreciation.

OfflineMhboundJR
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26028713 - 06/02/19 01:51 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

I spoke with Andy a few years ago and he let me see the source code from the growery and I imagine it's very similar to here. Believe me I realize the task at hand but am willing to help where I can. I will sit down and really map out how I think it would work best. I would think designing a website with jQuery mobile etc and then use something like https://phonegap.com/ would allow you to have both a mobile site and the platform dependent app with minimal work and still have the ability to make the app more functional overtime.

I'm on my phone as we speak so I can't really say a ton until I get on my computer.

I think you have the right idea though.

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands, USA Flag
Re: Mobile, [Re: MhboundJR]
    #26028774 - 06/02/19 02:34 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Hey, didn't realize from your reg date that you had been pursing this since the Andy days, A+ for persistence! Hehe

Shroomery and Growery share the same codebase. Unless an exception is included, changes apply across both sites. What you saw was probably pretty representative of the current state of our code.

I've fallen behind in my knowledge of Javascript (particularly Javascript frameworks) but I question if jQuery is still the way to go when building a new interface in 2019. I know that alternatives like AngularJS, React, VueJS, et al. have gained a lot of traction but I also know how fleeting trends can be. I'm curious if you prefer jQuery for technical reasons or just familiarity. I'd be interested to discuss this with you and gain a better understanding of the various benefits and tradeoffs.

I'd somehow never heard of PhoneGap before. Tapatalk was the only similar option on my radar. I had excluded them because of the restrictive license on their API. PhoneGap looks like a much more promising solution, so I'm already grateful for your input!

Straight up, there are a lot of challenges to this project: the aformentioned spaghetti code dating back to the 90s, no version control to speak of, busy and distracted part-time admins, pay which is just high enough to not be insulting. If this is really something you're interested in pursuing, it would have to be a labor of love and you'll have to be comfortable working independently. Otherwise you'll quickly get burnt out and frustrated, and I don't want to waste your time.

If you're truly still interested, please shoot me a PM or e-mail when you're at a computer and I'd love to discuss this further!

OfflineMhboundJR
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26028801 - 06/02/19 02:59 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

My original username is mhbound....I forgot the password and no longer use the email, so now I'm a JR

I will PM you this evening.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback