Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Waste water treatment in constructed wetlands
    #2649080 - 05/07/04 03:03 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Now I have a question...

I made a contact with some people from a company that is constructing wetlands for waste water treatment. For now they've been using and researching mostly plants, algae & bacteria and I proposed that higher mushrooms might be interesting too. Unfortunately all I know about the subject is what I read from the Stamets GGMM where he mentions briefly that Pleurotus ostreatus could be used for something like that.
I can produce spawn of various species and I could get an opportunity to experiment in one of their wetlands. They could arrange analysis of concentration of heavy metals in mushrooms and substrate or monitor populations of nematodes or various bacteria, because they're running these tests for their purposes anyway.

Anybody knows anything about the subject?
Any ideas on how to make these experiments?
What do you think would be interesting to know?
Links?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Waste water treatment in constructed wetlands [Re: zeronio]
    #2649946 - 05/07/04 12:34 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
    #2649985 - 05/07/04 12:55 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

The type of wetlands used for sewer treatment are probably too wet for higher fungibut the perimeter would be a good candidate for nitrate consuming fungi.This was basicly what Stamets did.He had an microbial problem in a draw creek below his cows due to nitrate in their crap.I believe he use Stopharia rugoso-anulata to consume the excess nutrients polluting the creek.
Similarly the border zone of the primary ponds would be similarly nitrate rich and a potential productive spawning site for reducing overall nitrate leaching from the system.
Cool idea! I would like to see more spawning of gourmet wood lovers to consume stumpage and control regrowth of hardwoods on logging land.
The land owner could harvest a crop from the land and save on costly herbicides.
WR

--------------------
To old for this place

InvisibleSpeeker

Re: Waste water treatment in constructed wetlands [Re: whiterasta]
    #2650003 - 05/07/04 01:09 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City Flag
    #2658574 - 05/09/04 11:08 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Are you talking about groing the mycelium in the water itself? That seems like it might be difficult. I haven't read about Stamets and the Stofaria, though -- did he actually grow these in the water, or just have it absorb the water from the banks? Mycelium doesn't seem very adapted to living in an aqueous environment -- bacteria and yeast seem to prevail there (and the Oomycetes???)

I know Stamets' trick, though, was to grow the mycelium out on agar and then deprive it of nutrients for a while (aka starving it) and then introduce it to media with the contaminant to be biodegrated (with Pleurotus, anyway.) Don't know how this would apply. Just my 2c

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Re: Waste water treatment in constructed wetlands [Re: ]
    #2659029 - 05/10/04 01:27 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not really qualified to do the research, I'm just looking for more information about this, so maybe I could convince them to do the research and that I could take some part in it.

Most of information I have come from Stamets like whiterasta & speeker noted. The mushrooms were grown in wet border zones (not in water) with the goal of reducing excess nutrients or bacteria & nematode populations, but he doesn't say much about the details. However I have other sources that describe carnivore species like Pleurotus ostreatus that feed on nematodes.

Quote:

Mycelium doesn't seem very adapted to living in an aqueous environment -- bacteria and yeast seem to prevail there (and the Oomycetes???)

Lower fungi, bacteria & algae are already used for waste water treatment, but Stamets is the only one claiming that also higher fungi have potential, but not directly in the water.

Quote:

I know Stamets' trick, though, was to grow the mycelium out on agar and then deprive it of nutrients for a while (aka starving it) and then introduce it to media with the contaminant to be biodegrated (with Pleurotus, anyway.) Don't know how this would apply. Just my 2c

Yes, this is also what I had in mind.
Another thing is that mushrooms can concentrate heavy metals from soil and could be used for decontamination.

OfflineMycena
mycoexplorer
Loc: indonesia
    #2659146 - 05/10/04 10:04 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Typha sp.(bulrushes) are great nutrient absorbers in these ssytems
they detoxify many industrial pollutants but not all
They build up a lot of biomass
Maybe this is where fungi come in
Water plants like typha which will detoxify water but also eventually lead to wetland senescence (filling in) need to be removed but these may still be a disposal hazard
How about using mushrooms to further reduce and treat contaminated biomass in the form of wetland plants removed from the system
test load before and after to assess contaminant removal
use somthing easy like Pleurotus or stropharia

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Waste water treatment in constructed wetlands [Re: Mycena]
    #2659660 - 05/10/04 01:23 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

white rot fungi are also good candidates for various types of bio-remediation, particularly hydrocarbons, may work well for other pollutants too though.

Too my knowledge, nobody has worked out a way to use higher fungi directly in wetlands or water. Colonizing berms, planting errosion control beds for water to flow through, or even just innoculating soil directly is all done with pretty impressive results.

I don't think you'll get too far trying to incorporate the mycelia directly into the wetlands, perhaps prefiltering through a berm of garden giants, oysters, or white rot might be workable. Otherwise, perhaps a perimeter berm would be called for to protect any overflow problems?

Without knowing the site, it's kinda hard to stab in the dark. Good luck though, and please keep us updated!

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Re: Waste water treatment in constructed wetlands [Re: mycofile]
    #2661677 - 05/11/04 01:05 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks!

Here's something practical to start with:

(from http://www.fungi.com/mycotech/farmwaste.html)

As always mushrooms never cease to amaze me. Now I found something I had absolutely no idea about: Mushrooms live in water too!

Quote:

http://www.nifg.org.uk/facts_b.htm
Most fungi are terrestrial, but there are a number of species that are aquatic. The main aquatic group are the Chytridiomycetes which are a primitive group of fungi that were possibly the ancestors of all the fungi. There are however there are about 11 species of Basidiomycetes (species with spores forming on structures called basidia ? most of our toadstools belong to this group) that are also aquatic occurring in either freshwater or marine environments. Four of these species are ballistotrophic, that is they forcibly eject their spores thus remaining "typical" basidiomycetes. However, seven of these species have lost this capability and have become more like underwater puffballs enclosing their spores inside an outer structure. One of the more common British marine basidiomycetes is Nia vibrissa which forms 1-3mm wide subglobose unstalked pale cream to orange brown fruiting bodies. It is found on woody substrates like driftwood, sunken ship timbers (eg the Mary Rose) and Cord Grass, Spartina spp. culms and rhizomes. The evolution of this marine species has fascinated some scientists who looked at its molecular relationships with other fungi. They clearly showed that although it is a gasteroid fungi in appearance, it is not related to other gasteroid fungi. It is closest to the Mangrove Fungus, Halocyphina villosa, which is close to the terrestrial fungus, Henningsomyces candidus. This suggests that the evolution trail was first marine, then terrestrial and this species has curiously returned to the marine environment. Other terrestrial fungi that could be related (suggested by molecular work) are Schizophyllum commune and Fistulina hepatica, the Beefsteak Fungus. These are both microscopical oddities with similarities to Nia vibrissa, but more work is needed to confirm this relationship.

Anonymous

#2662843 - 05/11/04 11:20 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibleKttail
DragonDreamer
Male

Loc: S. Oregon Coast , USA
    #2690417 - 05/17/04 07:57 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Wow, a fascinating subject and lots of good information.
I am a wastewater treatment operator at a very small facility and have wondered about the very same thing. I would like to hear more on this and hopefully learn the results.
I know that my effluent is loaded with nitrate ammonia, nitrate nitrite, and phosphorous. Beyond that I haven't tested it for anything other than fecal coliforms, chlorine residual, and ph.
Naturally, in a project that you are looking at I wouldn't believe that you would have to worry about cl2.
I'm adding this discussion to my favorites and hope that it continues to get updated.

--------------------
"Do not meddle,
In the affairs of Dragons.
For thou art crunchy,
and tasty with catsup."

OfflineOpossumCop
Stranger

#26024009 - 05/30/19 10:21 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Just thought I would revive this thread, I have been playing with the idea of higher fungi being used as a home water filtration system and the thought of composing that together with a bioremediation project is too enticing to leave this thread alone.

I have often thought about the possibilities that lie within pyrolysis and fungal filaments. I know that there has been research done with charcoal made from highly fibrous plant material such as hemp and stinging nettle. The material showed high surface area due to the plant structure and basically performed as activated charcoal without the need to impregnate it with solute and then remove them (the process for activating charcoal if I remember correctly). My hypothesis is that pyrolized mycelial growth will have even more surface area than fibrous plants due to the single cell structure of the smallest filaments. I would also add that depending on the pollutants in question, it may be possible to add specific metals or compounds to the substrate of the sacrificial mycelia in order to neutralize pollutants that otherwise would not be caught in the carbon matrix. This is evident in bonechar filtration due to the potassium, calcium and magnesium residues allowing better filtration of certain fluoride compounds.

I would imagine that mycelia grown for this purpose would possibly be more cost effective than other avenues.

I have also thought about living mycelial filters but this seems more applicable to small scale (home filtration for example)

Some fun ideas for additives to substrates to induce better absorption rates would be  aluminosilicates such as bentonite clay, or even synthesized molecular sieves, or possibly isolated antinutrients such as phytic acid (though regrettably I can't say whether phytic acid would bind to pesky contaminants as well as it does to useful nutrients, though I imagine its site specific and contaminant specific).

However all of this is theoretical and I'm no expert in such things, but I love exploring the idea. I just felt that this thread had looked over the possibility of pyrolized fungi (fungal biochar) in lieu of living fungal material.

*I originally intended to post this to this thread but accidentally posted to another slightly related thread, sorry for doubling up*

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom