Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
Not "Papers please", but "Iris scan please"?
    #2601848 - 04/25/04 07:51 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

I really don't understand this country. I was starting to put some money aside to save for a deposit on a house, but the way things are going, I may end up saving to re-locate to Europe or elsewhere instead.

Can you imagine being stopped on the street and being asked (or told?) by Police to submit to an iris scan?

This whole ID card plan of Blunkett's has been fishy from the start. He's been determined to railroad this plan through from day one (and make us pay for it), regardless of what anyone else thinks. I haven't heard a single convincing arguement that these cards will help combat fraud, illegal immigrants or terrorism.

Quote:

Police to check biometrics against national ID database
By Ben Russell, Political Correspondent
26 April 2004

Police will have powers to stop and check people against a national biometric database under plans for a compulsory identity card scheme to be unveiled today.

David Blunkett, the Home Secretary, confirmed that police would be able to compare people against national fingerprint or iris records even if they did not carry the controversial document.

The draft Bill will outline plans to introduce biometric data on passports in three years' time, with a compulsory scheme introduced by 2013.

Civil liberties campaigners expressed alarm at the proposals, but a defiant Mr Blunkett insisted that legislation would be put before Parliament by the autumn after consultation on technical issues are resolved. A pilot test of the equipment needed for the cards will be launched this week.

Mr Blunkett said: "This isn't some kind of fetish. This is about recognising the massive change that's taken place in the world around us."

Under the draft Bill, people renewing their passports from 2007 will have to be scanned for biometric data such as their irises and fingerprints. Driving licences could also include the data.

By 2013, when the scheme is expected to become compulsory, 80 per cent of people of working age are expected to be included. The cost of the scheme, estimated at ?3.1bn, will be met by increasing the price of passports to around ?73.

The Home Office confirmed that police would be able to ask people to undergo a scan to be compared with the national list of identities.

Mr Blunkett said: "Even if the person didn't carry the card, [the police] would be able to check their biometric automatically with the equipment. "It's more than simply having a card. This is about true identity, being known, being checkable, being used in order to ensure we know who is in the country, what they're entitled to and whether they're up to no good." Under the draft legislation, the scheme can become compulsory without fresh legislation. But Mr Blunkett promised a full debate in both Houses of Parliament before such a move was confirmed.

Tony Blair will attempt to counter fears about ID cards tomorrow in a speech to promote planned immigration. The Prime Minister will argue that planned immigration from Europe and beyond is good for the British economy at a time of economic growth. But civil liberties campaigners expressed alarm at the prospect of compulsory ID tests.

Shami Chakrabarti, a director of the pressure group Liberty, told GMTV: "He is too quick to offer various draconian measures as a magic bullet to whatever our fears are this week: terrorism, illegal immigration and so on. It does not actually solve these deep-seated problems we face."

David Winnick, the Labour MP for Walsall North and a member of the Commons Home Affairs Select Committee, said: "David Blunkett says that the British card will be more sophisticated than the existing Spanish card, but where is the evidence that any type of ID card would have stopped the massacre in Madrid?

"This is a costly exercise which will not do what is claimed by the Home Secretary and other enthusiasts."

David Davis, the shadow Home Secretary, said ID cards should be introduced without delay if civil liberties and technical objections could be overcome.

Roll on the election, I'm very interested in seeing how the various parties do this time (particularly the Lib Dems) and what the voter turnout will be.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Not "Papers please", but "Iris scan please"? [Re: Edame]
    #2601939 - 04/25/04 08:21 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

It's good to know some other technological countries are just as messed up as the US. If the US ever gets that ridiculous, I'd just move up with those crazy seal-clubbers

"This is about true identity, being known, being checkable, being used in order to ensure we know who is in the country, what they're entitled to and whether they're up to no good." So now it's guilty until proven innocent, eh?

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Not "Papers please", but "Iris scan please"? [Re: Edame]
    #2604295 - 04/26/04 01:12 PM (13 years, 5 days ago)

Muslim women exempt from ID card photos

Kamal Ahmed, political editor
Sunday April 25, 2004
The Observer

Thousands of Muslim women will be exempted from having to show their faces on identity cards as the Government moves to allay fears among British Muslims that the new cards will be used to target them in the 'war on terror'.

As David Blunkett, the Home Secretary, faced attack for not allowing enough debate over the introduction of the first ID cards in Britain since the Second World War, officials made it clear that if Muslim women do not want to reveal their faces in public, that would be respected.

.....more at the link http://politics.guardian.co.uk/homeaffairs/story/0,11026,1202918,00.html

There you go. He's not a complete control freak after all.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Not "Papers please", but "Iris scan please"? [Re: Phred]
    #2604321 - 04/26/04 01:21 PM (13 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

pinksharkmark said:
Muslim women exempt from ID card photos

"I want to be a woman. From now on, I want you all to call me 'Loretta'."
- Stan (AKA: 'Loretta'), People's Front of Judea.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Not "Papers please", but "Iris scan please"? [Re: Phred]
    #2605174 - 04/26/04 05:12 PM (13 years, 5 days ago)

Muslim women should most definately NOT be exempt.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Not "Papers please", but "Iris scan please"? [Re: Evolving]
    #2605670 - 04/27/04 10:17 AM (13 years, 4 days ago)

Bwahahaha! "The Life of Brian" -- one of the funniest movies ever made. I'll have to watch it again sometime soon.

It was interesting reading that scene through all the way. A few lines there are so apropos to the situations we discuss in this forum on a regular basis.

pinky

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion