Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Hot Plate, Malt Extract, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineai6617
Stranger
First Attempt At Agar with PE syringe
    #26015309 - 05/27/19 02:30 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

For my first grow, I did PF Tek and used a syringe directly into the jars. I was successful, but wanted to try something different.

I decided to give agar a shot with a PE syringe, and want some opinions on how things look.

I did 5 dishes, any input on below. What should my next steps be? I know some people transfer into fresh agar from here, is that necessary?

#4 - the syringe was stuck, and when i pushed hard to get it loose a BUNCH came out

#5 - this looks bad, right?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinethisbliss
Stranger

Re: First Attempt At Agar with PE syringe [Re: ai6617]
    #26015369 - 05/27/19 03:49 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

What's your intentions with this agar growth? If you're sticking with brf cakes I'd say agar is unnecessary tho fair play for experimenting so soon. If you plan to do grains now then you should probably transfer some of that growth a few times until you are sure there is no contam and you've got that good stringy rhizo growth.
I find with multi spore syringe it takes a good few transfers as the growth is usually more fuzzy. I think this is because the spores are competing against each other and so it's better to 'isolate' a few strains which will grow better

Offlineai6617
Stranger
Re: First Attempt At Agar with PE syringe [Re: thisbliss]
    #26015455 - 05/27/19 06:17 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

I am going to be switching from cakes to grain spawn.

For the grain spawn, I will be using BOD's Easy AF OAT prep tek.

And I will grow it using BOD's Easy AF UnBODified Monotub TEK (No Holes No Polyfil)

When I am transferring, what do I want to target on the plates above? If anyone see's any contamination on those plates, could you point it out to me?

Thanks again.

Offlinethisbliss
Stranger

#26015597 - 05/27/19 08:54 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Nice one. Yea getting onto grains is good. I should've done a long time ago. Just too lazy and was getting about enough from brf.

I don't think you have contamination but I'm no expert still learning my craft.

I think your best plates are 2 and 3. I'd be going for that lowest growth on 2 between the 10 o'clock and 7 o'clock. It's the most rhizo looking. You could probably get 3 to 4 neat little wedges grain of rice size. Pop them on fresh plates and watch them go!

I'm assuming you probably haven't done much transfers yet with a scalpel? I'd advise do a few practice transfers first from a different plate. It looks simple but very easy to balls up. I get all fingers n thumbs working in a sab. The most annoying is when the wedge won't come off the scalpel and you have to start tapping and stir the air up so I'd advise not stabbing it. Instead cut the wedge first then scoop in under it. Then when you transfer to fresh agar you're placing it on upside down. It should stick to the fresh agar and the scalpel should come away from it.
Good luck! Post pics of new growth

Offlineai6617
Stranger
    #26015804 - 05/27/19 11:20 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Thank you, one question about what you said. You said "place it on upside down", does this mean the mycelium goes down onto the fresh agar? So we are making like a mycelium sandwich?

lid
------
old agar up
mycelium
new agar?
-----
new petri dish

Edited by ai6617 (05/27/19 11:58 AM)

Offlinethisbliss
Stranger

#26015875 - 05/27/19 11:53 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Yea that's another advantage the mycelium surface will be directly placed against the new agar so should hit the ground running as it were! You don't have to do it this way see what you think 👍

Offlineai6617
Stranger
    #26015884 - 05/27/19 12:05 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Good point, I guess it makes sense to try both ways and see what I think.

Thanks again for all your advice, I will definitely come back and post the results of my transfers.

Offlinethisbliss
Stranger

Re: First Attempt At Agar with PE syringe [Re: ai6617] * 1
    #26016009 - 05/27/19 01:03 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

👍

Offlinebanishedfromtime
void cult adept

#26016323 - 05/27/19 03:36 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

I did BRF last year and I am going down the same path as you! Currently using easy agar out of the glad mini rounds but they're hard to identify contams I'm finding.

What did you use to make your agar dishes?

Offlineai6617
Stranger
Re: First Attempt At Agar with PE syringe [Re: banishedfromtime]
    #26016610 - 05/27/19 06:02 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

I used....

1/2 lb Dried Malt Extract - Light (Powder Form)

Telephone Product of Thailand Agar Powder, 0.88 Ounce (Pack of 5)

500 ml water
10 g agar-agar
10 g DME

This recipe would do 20 plates, since I was experimenting with 5 only, I divided all the numbers by 4.

I did this...

Add dry ingredients to bottle

Add water, swirl water so ingredients start to dissolve.

Put in microwave with lid on bottle (not fully tightened) and microwave until boiling.

Tighten lid / carefully shake / swirl until dissolved. Remicrowave if necessary.

Loosen lid, and cover with foil. Sterilize @ 15PSI for 20 minutes.

Let cool to 50C/122F (easiest if you put bottle in water, then pour plates when water hits this temperature).

Pour plates.

I did all this in a SAB, I let the plates solidify in the SAB unsealed, after I added my spores I used seran wrap to seal them.

Offlinebanishedfromtime
void cult adept

#26016761 - 05/27/19 07:31 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

this sound pretty straightforward. were you buying the plates pre-sterilized? do they just get wiped down with 70%?

Offlineai6617
Stranger
    #26017026 - 05/27/19 09:48 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Pre-sterilized, are they safe to use in a pressure cooker and re-use?

20 Pack Sterile Plastic Petri Dishes, 100mm Dia x 15mm Deep, with Lid

Could probably get them cheaper with some hunting, but I just wanted a quick trial.

Offlinebanishedfromtime
void cult adept

#26018850 - 05/28/19 06:41 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Polystyrene will melt in a pressure cooker. Can't comment on reuse.

InvisibleSir Pentinite
Stranger all the time.

Loc: ation Location Location
    #26019173 - 05/28/19 09:10 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

They can not be PCed and they are not reusable. Buy them sterile, use once, discard.

Borosilicate petris are reusable, expensive, and a lot more work. There's something to be said for reducing plastic trash, but they won't pay for themselves until maybe 20-30 uses in a best case.

Incidentally, I just made my first batch of agar plates today and streaked a couple with MS. What a learning experience.

--------------------
"I thought to myself 'Boy, I'm sure glad there's nobody here to see this because this is exactly the sort of thing that gets people riled-up and they assume you're dying and that something has to be done. Where if you're alone, you know, you either come through it or you die, but in any case you avoid the fuss.'"
- Terrence McKenna

Offlineai6617
Stranger
Re: First Attempt At Agar with PE syringe [Re: Sir Pentinite]
    #26019195 - 05/28/19 09:20 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Sir Pentinite said:
They can not be PCed and they are not reusable. Buy them sterile, use once, discard.

Borosilicate petris are reusable, expensive, and a lot more work. There's something to be said for reducing plastic trash, but they won't pay for themselves until maybe 20-30 uses in a best case.

Incidentally, I just made my first batch of agar plates today and streaked a couple with MS. What a learning experience.

How did the process go for you? I just poured some fresh plates and am going to do my transfers later tonight. I think I am going to do 3 plates from one section of growth from spore, and 2 plates from another section.

How long do you typically wait for your agar to solidify?

Offlinemeowjinx
Stranger
Male
    #26019351 - 05/28/19 10:33 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

I haven't grown yet, but have been doing a great deal of reading on shroom-growing. From what I understand, by transferring you are trying to find the most "threadlike" sections of mycelium. Less clumpy, more defined lines. The term for thread-like myceliums is "rhyzomorphic". I got this info from a website. Here is a quote:

Quote:

When you’ve inoculated the substrate with a spore-syringe and large parts of the substrate are colonized, often you can distinguish two different kinds of mycelium. One kind looks somewhat fluffy/down-like; This is called Tomentose Mycelium. The other has a wiry-type structure; this is called Rhizomorph Mycelium. This is the kind we are looking for. Rhizomorph Mycelium has a larger potency to grow into nice, healthy mushrooms than Tomentose Mycelium.

To make sure that only rhizomorph mycelium will develop, it’s possible to take a part of rhizomorph mycelium from a colonized substrate. This part of mycelium can serve as the inoculant for another container of a sterilised substrate. If you took a good part with a strong genotype of the mycelium, within the new substrate will mostly grow healthy and strong mycelium.

But when a container is largely colonized, it can be very difficult to select the best mycelium from it. The risk of contamination is very large; so it’s not advisable to try.

Growing the mycelium on agar in Petri dishes first offers a solution for that problem. The agar media is not a fertile soil for growing mushrooms, but the mycelium develops very nicely on it. Therefore mycelium that grows in Petri dishes can only be used to inoculate a substrate where it can develop further.

Source: https://mushplanet.com/cultivation-techniques/multispore-and-single-strains/

When you pick out the SMALL sections of "good mycelium" and transfer them, you are essentially breeding better-growing mycelium, the way a dog breeder makes sure to keep the "purest" dogs

When you have some nice sized chunks of pretty-looking rhizomorphic mycelium, then you can use them to inoculate your sterile grain.

Check out Bod's tek. Bod is like the Gandalf of shroomery. The tek has pictures so you can know what to look for

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/21922023

If you are going monotub, then do about 2-3 transfers, and when you have good looking rhizo sections, pick out the best one and use it for inoculation

If you're doing mono-mini's, then you can use several sections and see which grows the best samples

Once you get your shrooms, try cloning. From what I've read, it's the surest way to guarantee consistency in potency (of the psilocybin hallucinogenic compound) and other good traits like speed of growth, size of shrooms, etc.

Best of luck. I am a newbie and am basically just passing along "textbook" knowledge. But others here can probably provide you with more practical advice. Check out all the agar, grain-to-grain transfer, and cloning teks. You'll get way better and more consistent results, and will eventually be able to grow bulk amounts that will last you forever!

Edited by meowjinx (05/28/19 10:33 PM)

Offlinebanishedfromtime
void cult adept

Re: First Attempt At Agar with PE syringe [Re: meowjinx] * 1
    #26021040 - 05/29/19 06:38 PM (1 year, 8 months ago)

I don't mean to hijack this thread but since we're in a similar situation I thought I'd jump in. Especially since I read this line:

Quote:

One kind looks somewhat fluffy/down-like; This is called Tomentose Mycelium. The other has a wiry-type structure; this is called Rhizomorph Mycelium.

This explains a lot of my glad mini rounds. I have a few that have pretty good rhizomorphic growth, but a lot are covered in the tomentose myc.

Pretty much all of my plates have turned this beige color. I thought it was a failure on my part at first, but I'm pretty confident it's how the mic mixes with the green food coloring. I sacrificed one and scraped up the white fuzz; it turned/clumped up to a dark blue like bruised myc does and it had that earthy scent. My recipe is typical MEA.

I have two each good rhizo samples of AA+ and GT. I'm gonna clean out some of the mini rounds that I think aren't worth keeping and make some more plates for transfers tomorrow. I'll take a small section of each and make another 10 or so, 5 ea, and see where I end up.

Offlinebendrider
Dirt Monkey
Male User Gallery

Re: First Attempt At Agar with PE syringe [Re: banishedfromtime] * 1
    #26021838 - 05/30/19 01:16 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Just an FYI for anyone learning Agar, try using Fungi Perfecti antibiotic agar. It helps cut down on contamination. It’s not cheap but neither is my time in this slow process.

Offlinemeowjinx
Stranger
Male
    #26021870 - 05/30/19 01:44 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Quote:

banishedfromtime said:
I don't mean to hijack this thread but since we're in a similar situation I thought I'd jump in. Especially since I read this line:

Quote:

One kind looks somewhat fluffy/down-like; This is called Tomentose Mycelium. The other has a wiry-type structure; this is called Rhizomorph Mycelium.

This explains a lot of my glad mini rounds. I have a few that have pretty good rhizomorphic growth, but a lot are covered in the tomentose myc.

Pretty much all of my plates have turned this beige color. I thought it was a failure on my part at first, but I'm pretty confident it's how the mic mixes with the green food coloring. I sacrificed one and scraped up the white fuzz; it turned/clumped up to a dark blue like bruised myc does and it had that earthy scent. My recipe is typical MEA.

I have two each good rhizo samples of AA+ and GT. I'm gonna clean out some of the mini rounds that I think aren't worth keeping and make some more plates for transfers tomorrow. I'll take a small section of each and make another 10 or so, 5 ea, and see where I end up.

I wish you the best of luck. There's tons of information on here that can make agar teks easy to understand. Basically you're just trying to maximize your chances of growing a good strain while also eliminating potential contaminants. The people on here have really mastered current shroom-growing methodology

InvisibleSir Pentinite
Stranger all the time.

Loc: ation Location Location
    #26021970 - 05/30/19 02:55 AM (1 year, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ai6617 said:
Quote:

Sir Pentinite said:

How did the process go for you?

How long do you typically wait for your agar to solidify?

How it went is a story in itself about all the typical mistakes. I had a sleeve of 25 plates and the tek is for 20. Knew that, increased the agar recipe by 25%. Still ran short due to overfilling some plates and a boilover in the PC. The boilover was partly due to using little 250mL media bottles that IMO don't have enough head space. The 250s also tended to cool off very fast so pouring them was a race against temperature. The remaining plates are still in the SAB so I'll try pouring them with another batch of agar. Hopefully they stay clean.

Agar solidifies quickly as it cools below about 110°F and it cools quickly when poured into a thin layer. I waited until they were room temp which was less than 10min in my cold house.

--------------------
"I thought to myself 'Boy, I'm sure glad there's nobody here to see this because this is exactly the sort of thing that gets people riled-up and they assume you're dying and that something has to be done. Where if you're alone, you know, you either come through it or you die, but in any case you avoid the fuss.'"
- Terrence McKenna

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Hot Plate, Malt Extract, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started