Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemiha
Stranger

Loc: Slovenia
Problem
    #2601325 - 04/25/04 04:08 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I got a shroom from a friend and made a print. His casing was  getting contaminated at the time. From then I have tryed PFtek several times and always got contaminated. Mycelium developes very nicely in jars but 3 days from birth they all get contaminated with cobweb. It starts spreading from the center where first mycelium formatted. In days jars get gray and later green.
Am I not paying enough attention to sterility or is the print contaminated and I can't do anything about it? Help. What can I do this is my only print :frown: . Help.thx

Edited by miha (04/25/04 04:09 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Problem [Re: miha]
    #2601412 - 04/25/04 04:39 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

If a print is contaminated with mold, there is little that can be done to clean it up. Peroxide won't help much, because the spores won't germinate well. Antibiotics won't help much against mold. The best and only thing I can come up with involves agar work, where you streak out the print and try to transfer clean sections as soon as possible. This is a lot of work, considering a clean print can be obained from one of the fine shroomery vendors inexpensively. You may even be able to find a free one from many kind folks around here.
In short, if the print came from a mushroom growing off a moldy casing, and you're getting mold problems from that print. . .the number one thing to replace is the print itself.

Offlinemiha
Stranger

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Problem [Re: Suntzu]
    #2603689 - 04/26/04 05:35 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

THX, I will get a new print.

InvisibleAbuse
end of the line

Re: Problem [Re: miha]
    #16626358 - 08/01/12 05:04 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

miha said:
I got a shroom from a friend and made a print. His casing was  getting contaminated at the time. From then I have tryed PFtek several times and always got contaminated. Mycelium developes very nicely in jars but 3 days from birth they all get contaminated with cobweb. It starts spreading from the center where first mycelium formatted. In days jars get gray and later green.
Am I not paying enough attention to sterility or is the print contaminated and I can't do anything about it? Help. What can I do this is my only print :frown: . Help.thx

I'm going through this same problem, OP. BTW, you spelled 'tried' wrong.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum