Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePnwCyAzurescens
Stranger
 User Gallery

My first Pan grow, Panaeolus Cyanescens Hawaii to be exact
    #26009144 - 05/23/19 11:03 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Well, I’m rather new to mushroom cultivation and started out (this year) with Cubes.  I have learned via reading books and online forums such as this one.  I don’t participate on here much for various reasons and feel that seemingly any questions asked have already been answered and sometimes it seems people get “scolded” for asking something that has already been answered.  So rather than taking an online beating for asking what some might see as stupid questions I just power through things by reading, trial and error and experimentation. 

The road has been annoying at times and frustrating other times and of course rewarding as well.  I’m positive that I’ve dumped tubs that were fine and kept shit going that I should have dumped.  Learning by reading and looking at pictures is harder for me as I’m a hands on learner and do better with “in person” learning.  Identifying bad molds or issues isn’t always easy by looking at pictures and smells are so subjective in how they are described.  I have asked my gf what certain jars like smell to her and her description vs my description of the smell are often very different.  So, all that to say that the road hasn’t been super easy and I have banged my head against the wall many times.  But, if you keep pushing forward you eventually get to where you want to be.

This grow by far isn’t perfect and I’m obviously still learning.  Not all my grows come out perfect but they are getting better every time because my understanding increases with each grow.  Since I started earlier this year I have been growing back to back.  It’s become an obsession because I’m a perfectionist and have that desire to conquer anything I put my efforts towards.

Anyway, this is not a Tek, it’s more so my desire to share in case someone can learn from what I’ve done be it good or bad.  One can always learn from mistakes and jobs done right.  And maybe there will even be feedback from some of you that will be helpful to me or others going through the same process.

My biggest challenge is that all of my space is shared with the rest of my family so battling contamination IMO is pretty hard as I’m always working around others that don’t understand the requirements for mushroom cultivation.  Opening doors, creating unwanted airflow, deciding to vacuum while I’m working on my mushy projects etc.  rather than flipping out I have taken it in as a challenge to still be able to grow and have success.

Anyway to the point...

Spores to Agar.  Agar was MEA with Dung juice instead of water.  (I have a friend with horses and he has more shit then he knows what to do with). I pick from the compost pile, he pretty much has large heaps of shit that has turned to odorless soil/compost.  Put some in a jar with water and let sit for a few days.  Strained the “juice” and used it in place of water when making Agar.  The mycelium was very tomentose which IMO makes it harder to know (to my untrained eye) if it’s completely clean.  But I went ahead and risked it after only one transfer.

Made up 2 quart jars with Millet.  It was a No Soak no Simmer Tek.  Add Millet, add water and some Gypsum and sterilize.

Knocked up the jars with Agar and waited.  The Mycelium looked different on the WBS.  Not what I’m used to seeing with Cubes on Oats.  I started thinking I fucked up as the jars hit a stall period so I pulled out a Sharpie and marked the edges of the mycelium on the outside of the jars.  So I noticed growth but it was slow.  Contrary to what I heard about how quick Pans colonize.  So I shook the jars and got movement again.  This time around things went faster and the mycelium completed colonizing the entire jar.  I let the jar sit for a few days mainly because I have to find the opportune time to do my work since I have to work around others living with me.

My substrate ingredients were as follows:

1 brick of coir (about 650gr)
3 qts verm
400 ml vita sand (had it laying around from kids pet that died and decided to use it)
3 or 4? Qts steer manure (ran out of Hpoo because gf used it for the yard)
50 ml Gypsum
4.5 qts of water

Checked for field capacity and loaded into quart jars and some gallon jars and pasteurized them.  The jars with substrate I didn’t use were used later for some Cubes that were inline.

Mixed up the colonized Millet with my substrate in a 6qt Shoebox.  Put the lid on and let it sit for 48hrs.  Then placed in grow chamber.  The Mycelium took about 7 days to completely colonize the sub. 

I made a Peat/Verm casing layer and made sure the PH was at 7.  I layered the sub with about 1/2” of the mix.  5 days later I had pins everywhere on the sides and bottom.  I couldn’t see shit on top because the casing layer.  Now I’m scratching my head and thought WTF?  Why?  And I know the common answer is, “you get side pins because the climate on the sides and underneath are more favorable than the climate on top.”  Great, whatever...how does it get enough FAE?  All this talk about making sure there is plenty of FAE and misting...  anyway, I’ll figure it out and I want to master no side pins without a liner.

I posted on the FB forum etc.  The side pinning was so thick I just couldn’t leave it in the tub and wait for the top to start pinning because what if the top wouldn’t?  Then I’d be stuck with nasty deformed/grimy Pans!!

My solution was to flip the colonized substrate and to set it on the lid.  Just like a PF Tek cake sits on its own lid.  Then I battled with the idea of casing the bottom layer (now the top since I flipped it).  I think I read a write up by Stonesun or another experienced Pan grower where pins showed before the sub was cased and he still went ahead and cased.  I also read somewhere that Pans are sensitive and abort rather quick.  So I figured since the pins are already there I don’t want to risk fucking them up.  So I got a larger tub and placed some hydrated Perlite in the bottom, misted all the interior walls and put the lid on upside down for FAE.

I moved the tub and concluded that since there was no casing layer and the whole cake was just sitting on a lid that the sub was now even more prone to drying out and that I had to pay extra attention.  So I have been.  I came to terms with some concerns I had due to my reading about misting Pan pins and potentially causing them to abort and decided to mist anyway and to fan right afterwards to keep any droplets slow to evaporate from fucking up the show.  I fan using a small 6” fan that I manually hold over the tub while directing airflow.  When I’m not around (which is almost 12 hours a day) I have the fan on a timer and it runs for a minute every 30 minutes.  No misting happens now except for in the AM before I leave and after I get back home.

So, that’s my story, and so far, I think I’ve done well for a first Pan grow and salvaging the situation.  Please feel free to share any wisdom, insight or whatever.  The temps where I keep my shrooms fluctuate because where I live the outside temps fluctuate quite a bit and affect my situation inside.  I have a heater but my temps will still swing from 68 in the AM to 79 by the time I get home, (that was yesterday).  But tomorrow the outside temps will be different again by about 10 degrees so that affects my inside temps.  The day before yesterday it was 75 and so on.  It’s just the nature of my situation until I can figure out how to insulate better for consistency.

Anyway thanks for reading/looking.

Cheers!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBuho colorido
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: My first Pan grow, Panaeolus Cyanescens Hawaii to be exact [Re: PnwCyAzurescens] * 1
    #26009157 - 05/23/19 11:09 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

I don't want to be a dick but those aren't pans.
Pretty sure it's a leucistic cube. Maybe a mislabeled print?
Or did you just upload the wrong pics?

--------------------
Since english is not my native language, please excuse any misunderstandings or stange verbalizations :wink:

OfflinePnwCyAzurescens
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: My first Pan grow, Panaeolus Cyanescens Hawaii to be exact [Re: Buho colorido]
    #26009286 - 05/23/19 12:23 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

It’s all good.  No offense taken.  It’s actually helpful to know what they are, especially if they aren’t Panaeolus.  I did think they looked interesting and I searched the web for images of the Pan Hawaii and did notice that the ones I had growing did not resemble anything like what I saw.  But then again I’m fairly new to this.  I’m slightly disappointed though, especially because the syringe reads Panaeolus Cyanescens Hawaii.

Looks like I should be putting in an email or phone call to get this straightened out.  Bummed about not having Pans to try as I was hoping for.  😬

Can anyone else confirm/verify this?

OfflineAsuraS
Cyantist

Loc: Texas
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My first Pan grow, Panaeolus Cyanescens Hawaii to be exact [Re: PnwCyAzurescens]
    #26009360 - 05/23/19 01:08 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Those aren't pans. Sorry man.

OfflinePnwCyAzurescens
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: My first Pan grow, Panaeolus Cyanescens Hawaii to be exact [Re: Asura]
    #26009382 - 05/23/19 01:18 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks, I appreciate it.  I have identified and know for sure I used the syringe properly labeled.  So my conclusion is that I was sent a mislabeled syringe. 😩

Thread can be deleted if Admins see fit to do so. 😐

OfflinePnwCyAzurescens
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: My first Pan grow, Panaeolus Cyanescens Hawaii to be exact [Re: PnwCyAzurescens]
    #26009411 - 05/23/19 01:37 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

I guess I thought I was on the right track since my normal grows go like this.

And the ones I posted about at the top of this thread just looked so different that I thought I was on track and I figured maybe they were just an anomaly/strange looking Pans.  Lol. Now thanks to your input I can get back on track.

OfflineAsuraS
Cyantist

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My first Pan grow, Panaeolus Cyanescens Hawaii to be exact [Re: PnwCyAzurescens] * 2
    #26009485 - 05/23/19 02:05 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

PM me your address and I'll get a pan Jamaican print out to you tomorrow.

OfflineHillbillyjohn
Male User Gallery

Loc: The boonies
Re: My first Pan grow, Panaeolus Cyanescens Hawaii to be exact [Re: PnwCyAzurescens] * 1
    #26009557 - 05/23/19 02:49 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Maybe it was supposed to be PES Hawaii which is a cube probably misread/mislabeled but hey you got fruits so no total loss and check out the link in my sig for all the updated teks/info.

Edited by Hillbillyjohn (05/23/19 02:51 PM)

OfflineSoccrates
Stranger
    #26009576 - 05/23/19 02:57 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

My pan syringe was apa also a mislabeled cube...

No, jk

--------------------

OfflineSFS96
AstroMan
 User Gallery

Loc: Valleys Of Neptune
Re: My first Pan grow, Panaeolus Cyanescens Hawaii to be exact [Re: Soccrates]
    #26009686 - 05/23/19 03:49 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Did u get those from one of the sponsors? I had received a “pan Au print”  from one of the vendors and I grew them out and they look almost just like the ones u grew. I was told it’s probably LGT. Here’s a pic
1st flush

2nd flush

--------------------
How I make and preserve tea

Consuming consumes a man That was never a purpose of life To only crave for material joys Is believing the lie - Mellow Mood

OfflinePnwCyAzurescens
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26009727 - 05/23/19 04:10 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks Asura, PM sent.

OfflinePnwCyAzurescens
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: My first Pan grow, Panaeolus Cyanescens Hawaii to be exact [Re: SFS96]
    #26009729 - 05/23/19 04:11 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

SFS96 said:
Did u get those from one of the sponsors? I had received a “pan Au print”  from one of the vendors and I grew them out and they look almost just like the ones u grew. I was told it’s probably LGT. Here’s a pic
1st flush

2nd flush

Yes I did.

OfflineSFS96
AstroMan
 User Gallery

#26009746 - 05/23/19 04:19 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah that’s fucked up, especially from a “ trusted vendor “ too bad we can’t discuss vendors here:shrug: Atleast u have a new cube varietie:thumbup:

--------------------

Consuming consumes a man That was never a purpose of life To only crave for material joys Is believing the lie - Mellow Mood

OfflineHillbillyjohn
Male User Gallery

Loc: The boonies
    #26009839 - 05/23/19 05:04 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

You can message them if it's one of the sponsors especially they will make right and probably toss you something extra for your trouble. Don't mention growing just say the syringe was mislabeled and was cubensis I'm sure it happens sometimes.

OfflineAsuraS
Cyantist

Trusted Cultivator
    #26009865 - 05/23/19 05:21 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

SFS96 said:
Yeah that’s fucked up, especially from a “ trusted vendor “ too bad we can’t discuss vendors here:shrug: Atleast u have a new cube varietie:thumbup:

Except vendors charge a fuck load of $$$ for pans. I've seen prints for $23-25 bucks. I'd be pissed if this happened to me.

If you contact the vendor say something along the lines of "I looked at these spores under a scope and they are definitely not pan cyan"

Edited by Asura (05/23/19 05:27 PM)

OfflineSFS96
AstroMan
 User Gallery

#26009883 - 05/23/19 05:27 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Asura said:
Quote:

SFS96 said:

Except vendors charge a fuck load of $$$ for pans. I've seen prints for $23-25 bucks. I'd be pissed if this happened to me.

Yeah true that I payed 25+ shipping for the LGT print I received that was supposed to be pan au. I was pretty pissed when it first happened to me. I’ll probably only get spores from Shroomery members for now on

--------------------

OfflinePnwCyAzurescens
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26010919 - 05/24/19 11:26 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

SFS96 said:
Quote:

Asura said:
Quote:

SFS96 said:

Yeah true that I payed 25  shipping for the LGT print I received that was supposed to be pan au. I was pretty pissed when it first happened to me. I’ll probably only get spores from Shroomery members for now on

Yes, the extra hassle sucks but I did call them and they asked me to email them
And I did use the wording as explained above.  I will send them an email today.  I’m sure they’ll make it right and if they don’t I just won’t buy from them again.  No drama. :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom