Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Humidity Meter, Hygrometer, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJuggtop
Stranger

Spraying & lighting question
    #2600676 - 04/25/04 01:09 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Alright well i am forced to use perlite in my terranium. I am going to have both cakes and casings in there, i know everyone says you dont need to use perlite with casings but i dont have more than one terranium to split them up. Anyways i was wondering if i am using perlite do i still need to spray both my cakes and casings or just fan it several times a day.

Alright well thanks for the help on the spraying but now i got one question. I wanted to look into a batter powered flourecent light to stick to the top of my box terranium. Was wondering where you guys recomend i go and what i should look into.

Edited by Juggtop (04/27/04 09:04 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinemrTtheH
Micro Bio

Loc: C A N A D A
Re: Spraying [Re: Juggtop]
    #2601089 - 04/25/04 02:57 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

go to Wal-mart and buy a 2 dollar thermometer/humidity gauge... check it for sure yourself and you will know for sure....

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

"Human beings, the potentially highest form of life expression on this planet have built the vast pharmaceutical industry for the central purpose of poisoning the lowest form of life on the planet--germs!"--Dr. Richard Murray

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #2601135 - 04/25/04 03:09 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Those $2 hygrometers are inaccurate and completely worthless. There is no need to mist your cakes if using perlite correctly, but it won't hurt. Lightly misting the casing to keep it uniformly moist until pinning begins is a good idea. Don't saturate it.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineJuggtop
Stranger

Re: Spraying [Re: dog]
    #2601172 - 04/25/04 03:20 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

So after i dunk my cakes and roll them in verm i just let the cakes sit there i can mist them if it looks like it needs it but once pinning starts stop misting the cakes?

Then with the casings mist lightly after the mycelium has completely regrown or should i take the tin foil off to mist it every now and then while the mycelium is growing.

OfflineWhippersnapper
noobie
    #2602335 - 04/25/04 10:04 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i thought that vermiculite is supposed to be something to keep moisture in and not for using as a substrate? and what's wrong w/ using perlite? just dont set your cakes right on top of the perlite. bend chicket wire into a tray and set it ontop of the perlite and then put the cakes on that. someone can correct me if im wrong. later.

OfflineAkrobatik
Chillin

Re: Spraying [Re: Whippersnapper]
    #2603543 - 04/26/04 04:06 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Whippersnapper said:
i thought that vermiculite is supposed to be something to keep moisture in and not for using as a substrate?

It is used for moisture retention, but it does dry out a little, and can also be used as a casing layer. Even such the casing layer should be misted lightly before pinning and timed so that it gradually becomes just under saturated when the first pins form. This helps ensure that there is enough water retained in the casing to support heavy flushing.

--------------------
:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

OfflineJuggtop
Stranger

Re: Spraying [Re: Akrobatik]
    #2608121 - 04/27/04 09:05 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

added a question... bump

Offlineholio1
intense

Loc: toronto son
Re: Spraying & lighting question [Re: Juggtop]
    #2608215 - 04/27/04 09:28 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I was actually just looking for a light. You probably wont find a battery powered flouro but the type of light is not really important.
People I know use those pushbutton lights where you stick it to a surface and press it to turn it on/off.
What I ended up getting for $5(CAD) was a pen light that the batteries are in a tube and the light is on a bendable tube. I plan on taping the tube to the roof and bending the light down, this way very little precious head room is wasted.

Another question, I had to get a large tupperware because I plan on putting casings in a larger tupperware with a little bit of perlite at the bottom.
I plan to have 1/2" mabye perlite, 1" substrate, 1/4" verm casing, and there is only about 6" mabye 7" of height in the terrarium, measuring from the bottom. This means there is only 5" (or less) for the fruits to grow. I don't think most mushrooms grow taller than that (BTW this is my first grow, EQ strain), but just making sure this wont hinder their growth.
And if they do reach the roof will they get completely boned?

OfflineJuggtop
Stranger

Re: Spraying & lighting question [Re: holio1]
    #2608465 - 04/27/04 10:21 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Ya most likely if you pick your mushrooms right when the veil breaks 5" will be enough but they could be getting extremely close to the top of your terranium. Im sure you will have some shroomies that touch the top but you really shouldnt have to worry about that, they will still grow but might bend a little. Unless you have some giant shrooms growing you should be fine.

Where do you buy those push button lights?

Offlineholio1
intense

Loc: toronto son
Re: Spraying & lighting question [Re: Juggtop]
    #2608842 - 04/27/04 11:16 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know where you live, but I'm sure they would have at Home Depot. But the thing I got uses less batteries and is cheaper, I got it at Canadian Tire but that store specifically is obviously Canadian.

Don't they keep growing for a bit after the veil breaks?

OfflineJuggtop
Stranger

#2609043 - 04/27/04 11:58 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I live in Connecticut.

OfflineLux
    #2609170 - 04/28/04 12:26 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

holio1 said:
Don't they keep growing for a bit after the veil breaks?

Yes but they don't really get any more potent and taste better just as the veil's breaking.

OfflineJuggtop
Stranger

Re: Spraying & lighting question [Re: Lux]
    #2612742 - 04/28/04 08:14 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

If you pick your shrooms right when the veil breaks you will get the most potency for your weight because since they dont really get any more potent after the veil breaks but they will keep growing and getting heavier the potency per weight decreases the longer you let them grow after the veil breaking.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Humidity Meter, Hygrometer, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation