Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTormatoMFacebookDiscordReddit
The Goddess Kali Meh 😛
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: So you're thinking about buying a grow kit? Read this. [Re: GrowGrannyGrow]
    #25231542 - 05/27/18 09:22 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

I would resterilize the jars...can’t hurt. Instant Pot is not the most ideal pc to use. You’ll have to pc longer because I’m pretty sure the Instant can’t get to 15lbs.

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

Tormato's Q&A Thread Post Questions Here or PM me!

"Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been." ~ Grateful Dead

Before you start...Do you have a Pressure Cooker and a Dehydrator? I highly recommend getting both!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGrowGrannyGrow
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Re: So you're thinking about buying a grow kit? Read this. [Re: Tormato]
    #25231697 - 05/27/18 10:23 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Sorry to be dim...The jars alone or with the substrate in them?

--------------------
Just a noobie granny learning the ropes.
Excuse any bad or outdated lingo...I'm old :sunny:

The Goddess Kali Meh 😛

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: So you're thinking about buying a grow kit? Read this. [Re: GrowGrannyGrow]
    #25231703 - 05/27/18 10:25 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Substrate included :thumbup:

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

Before you start...Do you have a Pressure Cooker and a Dehydrator? I highly recommend getting both!

InvisibleSkipio
Hunchback
 User Gallery
Re: So you're thinking about buying a grow kit? Read this. [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25235270 - 05/29/18 01:27 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
1. The stickys at the top of the forum
2. You don't need an air filter. My grows are in the same room as two litter boxes used by my two cats. My house is 80+ years old. Doesn't matter

WOW...

Edited by Skipio (07/11/18 05:58 AM)

Offlineaceofspades8809
Bossman
Male

Loc: Texas Flag
Re: So you're thinking about buying a grow kit? Read this. [Re: Skipio]
    #25251539 - 06/06/18 07:53 AM (5 years, 10 months ago)

Great write up!

InvisibleJamesStrange
Doug
 User Gallery
Loc: Canada Flag
Re: So you're thinking about buying a grow kit? Read this. [Re: bodhisatta] * 1
    #25817416 - 02/16/19 06:17 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
People act like having a 40+ hour a week job, and sleeping mean you can't grow mushrooms. It really doesn't take that much work to get some baseline results

I know this is an old post, but 40 hours a week + sleeping sounds like heaven. Don't have kids! :smile:

Jokes aside, time is money, and regrettably I did not see this post before encountering a Canadian kit vendor and making a spur-of-the-moment decision. I'll just run it as a side project. If it does anything that isn't embarrassing I'll share it on the forum.

The only concern I really have about it is I don't actually have a way of knowing I'm not growing poison? It would be a weird way to murder someone, but psychos do psychotic things. I suppose I'll be able to get it id'd here to be safe, assuming I grow anything at all?

The kit looks like a much simpler version of whatever is described in the main post--just a very disposable looking fruiting chamber, a litre of spawn, straw, casing soil, a "mixing bag" (lol), a spray bottle (lolol), and an instruction booklet I will probably ignore. The price is cringeworthy, but I've made worse mistakes, and it'll be nice to have something to contrast with the proper PF grow I'll be doing in the next room.

Thanks tons for this post. It looks like it helped some folks. I probably would have ignored it, because drunk noobs gotta drunk noob, but I really appreciate everything I've learned reading this forum over the past week or two. You guys rule.

Nice to meet you all. Dont hold my kit against me. I'm learning fast.

James

Offlinemeowjinx
Stranger
Male
Re: So you're thinking about buying a grow kit? Read this. [Re: wildernessjunkie]
    #26003951 - 05/20/19 05:19 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Thank you so much for this!

I am a total newbie that has just barely started looking into growing mushrooms. I tried reading from different sources online, and was planning on spending $20 just on an instructional book from Amazon because the process appeared so overwhelming and confusing

I was also considering buying one of these kits because I am on a relatively tight budget and can't afford to screw up my first grow, and I thought the kits were the most fool-proof way getting at least some yield

After reading this I feel more confident and, more importantly, less intimidated at the prospect of giving it a shot

I was fully expecting to spend around $300 for my first grow, which would put a serious dent in my finances at the moment (I want to grow for medicinal purposes)

OfflineMcShroomface
presumptuous noob
Loc: your moms house
Re: So you're thinking about buying a grow kit? Read this. [Re: meowjinx]
    #26004655 - 05/21/19 01:19 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

I sined and bought a kit, but will never do that again...

The Goddess Kali Meh 😛

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: So you're thinking about buying a grow kit? Read this. [Re: McShroomface]
    #26005787 - 05/21/19 03:44 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

McShroomface said:
I sined and bought a kit, but will never do that again...

Hey at least you learned...

:nicetry:

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

Invisiblewestdrayton
Stranger

Loc: West Drayton, London, UK Flag
Re: So you're thinking about buying a grow kit? Read this. [Re: Tormato]
    #26005892 - 05/21/19 04:54 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

I have bought grow kits and stuff so that i need only to inject into the growing pots that they provide and later to put the white cakes into open air to grow. Very easy. But not so expensive because people put much bigger amounts of money under they hobbies. For example monthly alcohol costs or billiards costs are much higher for some people than a grow kit cost. So i don't think that the price is too high. Most people will grow and try only 1 time in their life. It is like the high price of taxi cab or renting a car price that is high but you use it rarely.
Secondly, those grow kits/things are fool-proof and will guarantee to work.
I have enjoyed those grow kits and started now to learn next level things to reduce costs.

I believe those grow kits are good things.

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: So you're thinking about buying a grow kit? Read this. [Re: westdrayton] * 1
    #26005896 - 05/21/19 04:55 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

If they actually were foolproof we wouldn't be littered with grow kit fail threads. They get hate because we see noobs fail and get turned off to the hobby all the time because of kits

The Goddess Kali Meh 😛

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: So you're thinking about buying a grow kit? Read this. [Re: bodhisatta]
    #26006231 - 05/21/19 08:02 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
If they actually were foolproof we wouldn't be littered with grow kit fail threads. They get hate because we see noobs fail and get turned off to the hobby all the time because of kits

:whathesaid: Yep! Better to do the research and do your own prep work.

--------------------
Helpful Threads

The Shroomery Store

Invisiblewildernessjunkie
Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Loc: HTTP 404 Not Found
Trusted Cultivator
Re: So you're thinking about buying a grow kit? Read this. [Re: westdrayton] * 2
    #26010372 - 05/24/19 12:47 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

westdrayton said:
I have bought grow kits and stuff so that i need only to inject into the growing pots that they provide and later to put the white cakes into open air to grow. Very easy. But not so expensive because people put much bigger amounts of money under they hobbies. For example monthly alcohol costs or billiards costs are much higher for some people than a grow kit cost. So i don't think that the price is too high. Most people will grow and try only 1 time in their life. It is like the high price of taxi cab or renting a car price that is high but you use it rarely.
Secondly, those grow kits/things are fool-proof and will guarantee to work.
I have enjoyed those grow kits and started now to learn next level things to reduce costs.

I believe those grow kits are good things.

I agree with Bod. I wrote this because of the problems we consistently have with these Half Ass kits. Not only are they junk, but they are consistently overpriced and unreliable junk.

For the same amount of money, or less, you can do a better job on your own.

OfflineZovers
Messy Burger
I'm a teapot

Re: So you're thinking about buying a grow kit? Read this. [Re: wildernessjunkie] * 1
    #26014559 - 05/26/19 03:28 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Yes! Agree entirely with this post. I was one of the poor saps who bought a kit, not just once either but twice! :sad: Luckily for me I stumbled upon the Shroomery just before completely botching my second attempt and was able to salvage it by tossing the kit and building a SGFC. I’m hoping other new-comers find this post and can not make the same mistakes as myself and many others before them!

Offlinethe_sonic16
Mushy McMusherson

Loc: Somewhere off topic
Re: So you're thinking about buying a grow kit? Read this. [Re: Zovers] * 1
    #26016297 - 05/27/19 01:27 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

It's understandable why someone would want to buy one though. This site is great, but to its detriment, there is SO much information it can be hard to digest. There are so many different formats for grain spawn, a variety of substrates and ways that you can do a spawn run, and plenty of options for fruiting chambers. One essentially has to read all the info and piece together an option that works best for their growing limitations and goals. E.g. are you limited on space, do you have the ability to grow in open sunlight, how much are you trying to grow, etc.

I could see why it'd be easy to succumb to the appeal of a one-stop use X, do Y, and you will get Z. Hell, I came close myself after I spent days reading tutorials on here and still had my fair share of failure. I think the more important things that need to be communicated, beyond you can find the info here are:
  • There are many ways to grow mushrooms of any type
  • Any method requires a ton of patience. No, like more patience than that.
  • You will likely encounter failures, regardless of whether you are experienced or a newbie. Contamination, failure to colonize/fruit, etc. are all challenges that you will encounter. They must just be learned from and persevered through.

Having said all that, I'm FINALLY seeing mushrooms after having lost a handful of batches. I tried a few invitro bag grows, which all failed. I then had some grain jar contamination. I also botched a half a dozen petri dish cultures. (Needless to say, I kind of assembled as much knowledge as I could and jumped head first, vs just following the PFTEK and taking baby steps).

Anyway, it's all thanks to the information I read on this site and in a few Paul Stamets' books. Thank you, everyone for the knowledge you've contributed on here and thanks even more to the OG's who patiently answer repetitious noob questions. You guys rock!

For anyone wondering what finally met my needs:
- Golden Teacher MS syringe I made from a spore print
- Pop-corn tek for grain (Consistently grew WAY faster than the birdseed I tried to grow on)
- 50/50 verm/coir substrate with a handful of gympsum
- Shoebox with fan and spray. (Uncased, but I'll probably case it with the next flush).

Edited by the_sonic16 (05/27/19 01:38 PM)

Offlinemeowjinx
Stranger
Male
Re: So you're thinking about buying a grow kit? Read this. [Re: the_sonic16]
    #26017013 - 05/27/19 07:40 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

the_sonic16 said:
It's understandable why someone would want to buy one though. This site is great, but to its detriment, there is SO much information it can be hard to digest. There are so many different formats for grain spawn, a variety of substrates and ways that you can do a spawn run, and plenty of options for fruiting chambers. One essentially has to read all the info and piece together an option that works best for their growing limitations and goals. E.g. are you limited on space, do you have the ability to grow in open sunlight, how much are you trying to grow, etc.

I could see why it'd be easy to succumb to the appeal of a one-stop use X, do Y, and you will get Z. Hell, I came close myself after I spent days reading tutorials on here and still had my fair share of failure. I think the more important things that need to be communicated, beyond you can find the info here are:
  • There are many ways to grow mushrooms of any type
  • Any method requires a ton of patience. No, like more patience than that.
  • You will likely encounter failures, regardless of whether you are experienced or a newbie. Contamination, failure to colonize/fruit, etc. are all challenges that you will encounter. They must just be learned from and persevered through.

Having said all that, I'm FINALLY seeing mushrooms after having lost a handful of batches. I tried a few invitro bag grows, which all failed. I then had some grain jar contamination. I also botched a half a dozen petri dish cultures. (Needless to say, I kind of assembled as much knowledge as I could and jumped head first, vs just following the PFTEK and taking baby steps).

Anyway, it's all thanks to the information I read on this site and in a few Paul Stamets' books. Thank you, everyone for the knowledge you've contributed on here and thanks even more to the OG's who patiently answer repetitious noob questions. You guys rock!

For anyone wondering what finally met my needs:
- Golden Teacher MS syringe I made from a spore print
- Pop-corn tek for grain (Consistently grew WAY faster than the birdseed I tried to grow on)
- 50/50 verm/coir substrate with a handful of gympsum
- Shoebox with fan and spray. (Uncased, but I'll probably case it with the next flush).

Congratulations, sir! Great post, I admire you for your perseverance. I am still a noob in the stages of looking for the right combination of teks/substrates/spawns/etc.

I would prefer (obviously), if my first attempt was not a total failure. I've been doing a lot of reading, but reading is no substitute for actual hands-on experience, so I find your chosen methods interesting. I have heard both good and bad things about popcorn, but I won't question your decision because the good things I heard sound pretty intriguing. The GVC substrate definitely looks to me like the easiest and most cost effective way of growing efficiently for a beginner

I just have a few questions:

What volume of growing chamber did you use for shoeboxes?
How often were you spraying? And what was your fan setup?
What spore print tek did you use?
What were your sterilization teks?

You don't need to go into much detail. A link or summary will do

I only ask these because I'm looking to absorb as much knowledge as I can before my first attempt at a grow, and someone who has just succeeded in their first grow is someone who I aspire to be like within the next few months. I was also hoping to skip the PF tek because of its neediness and low yield, but am open to trying it if you think other teks are too likely to result in a botch

Edited by meowjinx (05/27/19 07:42 PM)

Offlinethe_sonic16
Mushy McMusherson

Loc: Somewhere off topic
Re: So you're thinking about buying a grow kit? Read this. [Re: meowjinx] * 1
    #26017232 - 05/27/19 09:41 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Hey, thanks! I'm stoked! To answer your questions:

• What volume of growing chamber did you use for shoeboxes? They're 6qt totes.
  • How often were you spraying? And what was your fan setup? After they were fully colonized, I sprayed like 2-3 pumps from like three feet away. I did so again after it was all knotted up. (I guess the cooling from the evaporation simulates mycelium exposure in nature and triggers pinning :shrug:).

As far as fanning, I used the lid and wafted it about 3 times a day, (which was probably excessive)
  • What spore print tek did you use? I used a YouTube vid (below)
  • What were your sterilization teks? I used my InstantPot to sterilize my grain and added a little extra time. I baked my substrate to pasteurize it.

A full breakdown of teks:

That was pretty much it. I now have a few dozen little fellas growing, which I'm misting once/day and fanning 3x/day

Edited by the_sonic16 (05/27/19 09:45 PM)

Invisiblewildernessjunkie
Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Loc: HTTP 404 Not Found
Trusted Cultivator
    #26017334 - 05/27/19 11:21 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Hey guys. Lets keep this thread relevant to the OP. Start a new thread if need be.

Offlinemeowjinx
Stranger
Male
    #26017880 - 05/28/19 09:23 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks! Very helpful and informative. I'll try to make the most out of your info

OfflineGuybrush3pwood
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: So you're thinking about buying a grow kit? Read this. [Re: meowjinx]
    #26073871 - 06/25/19 08:58 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Total new guy to the world of mushrooms and...yup...bought a kit this morning. No big deal. It was $50 or so and I honestly don’t care if it fails. I see it as a way to dip my toe into the process. A way to get the process down without having to invest in a PC or dig through the mountains of info that litter the internet on the subject. Once all is said and done with the kit, I can either decide to abort or spend more and continue on.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order