Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNanutzu
Stranger
Grow noob
    #26000964 - 05/19/19 05:27 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Hi to everyone.
Unfortunately I have a problem with the grow kit. I searched online, here, but I still couldn't find the info I wanted.
Basically the instruction given were as follows.
Open lid, put kit in the bag, don't spray, fold bag until first babys come, after... Put upright, let bag little open, don't spray. Harvest.
Basically this is for the first flush.
I am at the stage in which I wait for the babys, but mist has developed on the bag and on the cake. I am not sure what to do, is it ok, is it not? Should I open the bag to let air flow?
Some help will be much appreciated.

Edited by Nanutzu (05/19/19 05:53 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
Re: Grow noob [Re: Nanutzu]
    #26000978 - 05/19/19 05:50 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
    #26000981 - 05/19/19 05:53 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Build a humidity chamber or sgfc and don't suffocate your mushrooms. Once the sub is fully colonized you can fruit it in open air or build a fruiting chamber. Seeing the actual colonization and such would be more beneficial to give you better advice but if it's fully colonized just fruit it. Oxygen water and light are good things for mushrooms. People choke them out in kits with bags all the time and it's depressing.

OfflineAeser
Conservative Hippy
Male
Re: Grow noob [Re: Adden]
    #26000989 - 05/19/19 06:04 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Agreed. I can literally hear your mycelium screaming for fresh air. If your to broke to build a fruit chamber, buy a 2 pack of oven turkey bags and put your trays inside lid off. Fold the top shut and paperclip the top. Wait 4 hours then just open the bag for 5 mins three times a day. Mist the walls of the bag every time you air it out. I'd do that ASAP btw.

--------------------
Anxiety is when your stuck in the future.
Depression is when your stuck in the past.
Happiness is when your stuck in the present.

OfflineNanutzu
Stranger
Re: Grow noob [Re: Aeser]
    #26000993 - 05/19/19 06:09 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Understood. I guess the instructions were to benefit the seller.
Anyway, I will do this now. Post pictures after.
The bags, I have, came with the kit (ones in the pictures) also they have perforations. I'll use this.

Ok.
So I opened the bags, I'll leave them 5 min open after which I will spray and close the bag.

With regards to the fruit chamber I thought there will be no major difference between that and bags.
I will check the first flush, if I get decent cultivation, I don't see the point with the chamber. Will it increase production substantially?
Also. About the heat mat. Should I keep it on all the time? I read that there needs to be a gap between it and the kit. The room temperature is not very constant.

Edited by Nanutzu (05/19/19 06:24 AM)

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
    #26001008 - 05/19/19 06:25 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

You could get away with leaving it loosely closed. I'd recommend that over tying it up tight. A small shoebox type plastic tote would be the best option.

Do you have vermiculite laying around from any flower projects? It would benefit from a casing layer even as basic as straight verm.

It looks very healthy though and you've done a good job so just keep at it you're in the final stretch now.

OfflineNanutzu
Stranger
    #26001020 - 05/19/19 06:39 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Adden said:
You could get away with leaving it loosely closed. I'd recommend that over tying it up tight. A small shoebox type plastic tote would be the best option.

Do you have vermiculite laying around from any flower projects? It would benefit from a casing layer even as basic as straight verm.

It looks very healthy though and you've done a good job so just keep at it you're in the final stretch now.

I closed it for now. I'll open it again in few hours and tight it over the night.

Can you detail a little bit about the shoe box, what should I do exactly?
About the vermiculite, I can go buy some, if it's really necessary.
Cheers.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
    #26001100 - 05/19/19 07:49 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Nah things will be fine without it.

I'd recommend letting this wrap up and then dive into DIY growing. No need to overly complicate things. This way you'll at least get a grasp on their life cycle and it'll make things infinitely easier later.

OfflineAeser
Conservative Hippy
Male

#26001296 - 05/19/19 10:33 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Just be careful Alice this hobby becomes a rabbit hole real quick :P If your interested in shoe boxes check here.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24038695/fpart/1

--------------------

OfflineBoxcar_shorty
Stranger
Male

Loc: North Dakota
    #26001311 - 05/19/19 10:44 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

If I may offer some advice- when you do mist your bags, do your best not to over saturate. Meaning only a 3-4 light sprays when they look like they need it. When I first started experimenting  with spawning to bulk, I started with a similar setup to yours. I misted 3 times a day even though there was plenty of moisture on my substrate and the sides of the bags and everything became soaked pretty quick and I ended up with a lot of aborts. I learned pretty quickly to only mist when it looked like they needed it instead of misting on a schedule.

--------------------
Could've been a doctor but at least I'm not a preacher

OfflineNanutzu
Stranger
Re: Grow noob [Re: Boxcar_shorty]
    #26003020 - 05/20/19 09:32 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

I only sprayed once, tried my best not to wet the mycelium, which is wet anyway (this is what concern me most). Little droplets of water on the surface.(I left the bag fully open for 10-20 min, still the water didn't evaporate, now it's closed on the edges with a gap in the middle.
One kit started to develop pins, very few 4-5. The other one nothing so far, both of them have mist on the surface.
I was thinking to put some polyfill to absorb these droplets, don't know if it's a good idea. I've seen somebody else had this problem, I'm waiting to see if it helped him or not.
I don't get it why the heck isn't these droplets evaporate....😤

OfflineAeser
Conservative Hippy
Male

#26005222 - 05/21/19 09:31 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

10 to 20 mins is nothing. Lol give it a few hours. Check back after then to see if it needs longer. Should be moist but not wet. No standing water should be on your cake.

--------------------

Invisiblestaytrippy420
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #26005228 - 05/21/19 09:40 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

:whathesaid:
let the surface moisture evaporate in-between mistings.. evaporation is a pinning trigger.

--------------------
Tek's I use

LAGM2020

OfflineNanutzu
Stranger
Re: Grow noob [Re: staytrippy420]
    #26005737 - 05/21/19 03:13 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Thx for the replay.
I used some cotton wool to absorb the water on the cake.
The fact that there was no more water on the surface helped the micelyum expand more, I saw a small increase in the flufynes, not sure if because of this, or is just the natural way of developing.
I see water droplets developing again, not as much but still.
I will take your advice and leave it open more.
Today is day 5 since I started, I will post some pictures soon.

Cheers

Btw.
If I take part of the substrate and put it in a different box, will it colonize furter? What will be the limits? Can you do this on and on, or the spores will eventually die?

Edited by Nanutzu (05/21/19 03:20 PM)

OfflineAeser
Conservative Hippy
Male

#26007183 - 05/22/19 10:51 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Fluffy is normal and a good sign of health. You do not wanna break it up. In theory you could use that cake to spread it to to another substrate but thats probably more advanced than you'd wanna go. It requires sterile conditions and a few floating foreign spores could ruin the whole batch. Lol just stick to the directions or youl more than likely mess the whole thing up :P

Indirect Sunlight on a 12 lit up and 12 dark schedule. Try not to let light hit it on its night schedule. Youl hear of some ppl running lights non stop or on diff scheduels but for your sake stick to 12/12

Fresh Air Exchange (balance between airing it out and letting it sit in the humidity) Doing either one of those for to long is bad. Id air it out every 3-5 hours if it was me. By air out simply open the bag  for like 5 mins lightly mist and shut again.   

Keep humidity up. Keep in mind humidity is moisture in the air and not on your cake so you cant "see" it. It will be noticeable as very small beads condensation on the walls of your bag. Large beads is to much water. Likely youl have to mist after opening the bag for air exchange every time. 

Keep temps around 68-72 degrees FH (approximate but ideal) Warmer temps promote faster growth of microbes. (bad for your mushrooms)

Be patient. It can take up to 7 days to see pins sometimes. Usually its faster but not unheard of. When you say your 5 days in your myc might think its only 1-2 days into fruiting depending on the conditions its seen thus far. Once it pulls the fruiting trigger it will start to grow quickly.

--------------------

Edited by Aeser (05/22/19 10:57 AM)

OfflineAeser
Conservative Hippy
Male

#26007232 - 05/22/19 11:25 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Oh sorry I misread your question but still no don't put it in another container either. Leave it alone :P Your cakes appear to be fully colonized already. Fully colonized is fully colonized meaning no colonizing left to do.

--------------------

OfflineNanutzu
Stranger
    #26012169 - 05/25/19 05:22 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

The babys are coming.

I just noticed many pins on the side of the box, fkin hell, one is growing upside down. Any tips on what should I do? Or just leave them be.
For the next flush, I am thinking to cover the sides so they take light only at the top.

Edited by Nanutzu (05/25/19 08:56 AM)

OfflineBoxcar_shorty
Stranger
Male

#26013326 - 05/25/19 08:20 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Light isn't a major spinning trigger. They're pinning on the sides because conditions are more ideal. Also, the parts of the substrate that colonize first are generally the first to start pinning so it ould be one or the other or both. But you have pins so that's something worth rejoicing about, no?

--------------------

OfflineAeser
Conservative Hippy
Male

#26013611 - 05/26/19 01:00 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Yes Box is right. The biggest 3 triggers:Full colonization,  temperature drop,  introduction of 02

Your myc looks super healthy and grats on the pins! When you first got here you were on the fast track to a moldy swamp of myc so its looking good. Just be patient. Keep up with your fresh air exchange and keeping the moisture in check in between your air exchanges. Thats the main thing you should worry about.
Side pinning is common on cakes and can be managed when its harvest time. In the future just wrap some tape or something around it that blocks all the light but really its not a big deal and that may or may not have not even stopped it. Healthy fully colonized myc is really just looking for any excuse to start pinning. I droped a colonized brf cake jar a month ago and it started pinning just from the stress of the fall:P

--------------------

OfflineNanutzu
Stranger
    #26013983 - 05/26/19 09:25 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Thx on that.
But this morning I saw a little green spot, I am pretty sure it's mold, I gently removed, but I can see in 2 more spots, smaller than first one.

Any advice? Can I remove the other aswell? I think this is the best choice to prevent spreading.

Right in the middle of the picture.

Edited by Nanutzu (05/26/19 09:28 AM)

OfflineAeser
Conservative Hippy
Male

#26014287 - 05/26/19 12:23 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Not a good sign. Haven't ran into mold on a first flush yet so I'm not the best person to ask. I've heard of people using hydrogen peroxide deluted with water. I believe it's 100ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide for every 1 liter of water (distilled). I've read it won't kill your myc but it sure as hell isn't gonna like it. Wait for someone with more experience in this than me though. Earlier you catch it better chance you have to save it. There is a contam forum as well if you got time to research. Guarantee the answer is already there.

--------------------

OfflineNanutzu
Stranger
    #26014556 - 05/26/19 03:24 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

I did some brief reading on this.
Basically there is not much to do. It depends on how much the mold spread that dictates if you can save the grow or not.
In my case, I saw spots on the surface but who knows what's inside.
One method I was thinking is to take some metal rod, heat it up, and apply on the infected area, basically burning everything. I am expecting to kill the mycelium around aswell, but it's better than chuck it the bin.

How far are these to harvest?

Edited by Nanutzu (05/26/19 03:28 PM)

OfflineBoxcar_shorty
Stranger
Male

#26014607 - 05/26/19 04:01 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

I don't see any mold to be honest. Are you sure it's not bruising? Your surface conditions look a little dry. Not excessively, but think of the way grass looks in the morning with little tiny dew drops. That's how the surface of your substrate should look.

--------------------

OfflineNanutzu
Stranger
    #26014649 - 05/26/19 04:25 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Top left side corner there is a piece of grain visible. I removed the mold from there.

I'll see in the next few days if more will grow.

What would you suggest? The bag is properly misted.

How about harvesting? 4-5 days?

Invisiblestaytrippy420
 User Gallery

#26014668 - 05/26/19 04:34 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

I was thinking the same thing.. I don't see any green in those pics.
That doesn't mean its not there tho, always good to take precautions against mold and infection.

If it does go green on you, put the tub outside somewhere to finish fruiting if weather conditions are ok todo so. Just boil the fruits into tea if your worried about infected fruits.
With pre-made kits you always take a gamble, the spawn could be infected or who els knows whats going on in there. Best todo it your self and start from scratch next time.

Harvest when the veil breaks. :super:

--------------------
Tek's I use

LAGM2020

OfflineBoxcar_shorty
Stranger
Male

#26014897 - 05/26/19 06:33 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

I agree with everything staytrippy just said. And yeah if all continues to go well, you can expect to have mature fruits by around this coming weekend  :alphabrain:

--------------------

OfflineNanutzu
Stranger
    #26015463 - 05/27/19 04:23 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Thx man.
I see some white fluffiness at the base of the mushroom, also some green stuff aswell.
Is this mold?

Should I put them outside in the bag or without?
Also, is this dead, can I try the next flush or throw it?
I have another kit, which is behind this one, the fruits are smaller and fewer but again most on the sides.

OfflineBoxcar_shorty
Stranger
Male

#26015635 - 05/27/19 07:33 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Haha you're fine. I see no green. Just be patient. Those are going to be ready soon. The white you see at the bottoms are just mycelium. Relax and leave them be and you'll have healthy mature mushrooms soon enough

--------------------

Invisiblestaytrippy420
 User Gallery

#26015698 - 05/27/19 08:15 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

:whathesaid: your just being paranoid man.
leave it alone until the veils break on the fruit.

Fluffy feet are a sign of lacking fae. Your getting side pins because the micro climate inbetween the sub and the walls is better then your surface conditions.

--------------------
Tek's I use

LAGM2020

OfflineNanutzu
Stranger
    #26015727 - 05/27/19 08:36 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Thank you guys, I appreciate the reassurance, but still.
Maybe it's not visible in the pictures but with the eye I can definitely see green at the root of the mushroom (previous post, in the set with 4 pictures, first 2 pictures, middle of the picture).
Also, I see some green veins climbing on the stem of another.
Anyway, I hope for the best. I will post more pictures soon.

Hat off.

Edited by Nanutzu (05/27/19 08:37 AM)

OfflineBoxcar_shorty
Stranger
Male

#26015815 - 05/27/19 09:25 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Sometimes bruising can look a little green. And the "veins" you're seeing is normal. They might just look green to you but they're fine. You're fine :carlton:

--------------------

OfflineNanutzu
Stranger
    #26019062 - 05/28/19 06:21 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Good news.
The mold isn't mold.
Thx for that.

I am getting closer to harvest, maybe 2-3 days? What do you guys think?
Last picture is second kit. I don't know why is so behind.
I just noticed the 2 in the corner broke veil, I will take them tomorrow.

I noticed some dead mushrooms, their cap is completely black. Is this a matter of concern?

For the next flush I was thinking to take the substrate out, put it on some "rocks", supports, in a bigger tub so I have 1-2 cm of space to pour some water in it and then cover with the lid. I know I need air, but when pins start I can just remove the lid. (Or do some holes in the tub).
Also on the inside of the lid I am thinking to put some absorber so the water won't drop on the substrate and under the tub, heating mat.
This way the heat will make water evaporate creating continuous humidity and the mushroom who come on the side will have the freedom to grow.
Two things to ask, will the rocks develop mold? Is this a good idea?

Cheers,

Edited by Nanutzu (05/28/19 06:25 PM)

Invisiblestaytrippy420
 User Gallery

#26019423 - 05/28/19 09:06 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Nice. Pick them as they finish. They will only be a day or two apart if any.
Check out mushboys making shoeboxes thread. Lots of good info in there.

On the first page he shows how to use a mono tub to fruit shoeboxes without rocks or water.
And heating matts usually do more damage than good.. just make sure the grow room stays around 20-24'C.

--------------------
Tek's I use

LAGM2020

OfflineNanutzu
Stranger
Re: Grow noob [Re: staytrippy420] * 1
    #26022671 - 05/30/19 10:04 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Result.

Thank you for the help.
Hat off.

Invisiblestaytrippy420
 User Gallery

#26023225 - 05/30/19 03:23 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Fuck ya dude! Nice harvest.
:snoopyes:

How are you drying them? Dehydrator is best.
The longer it takes to dry them the less potent they will be.

--------------------
Tek's I use

LAGM2020

OfflineNanutzu
Stranger
    #26023302 - 05/30/19 04:04 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Thx, I am happy with the result aswell. We'll see next flushes.
Yea, I got a dehydrator.
Maximum it goes 70 Celsius, I left it at 50.
It's been 6 hours since, they are dry but still don't break. I will be checking on them frequently.
Any recommendations?

Some recommend low temp, no higher than ~45 celsius.

They lose potency?  I read that the difference is barely observable. I will definitely try raw aswell.
I need to check some dosage calculator. With these dry ones I am thinking to start with 3 or 5 g.

Edited by Nanutzu (05/30/19 04:06 PM)

Invisiblestaytrippy420
 User Gallery

#26023487 - 05/30/19 05:16 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Honestly I've never tried a side by side, just going off what I've read from TC's.
Apparently oxidization effects potency, heat does not until 300'F.

I crank my dehydrator as high as it can go. 165'F for 24 hours = cracker dry every time.

--------------------
Tek's I use

LAGM2020

OfflineBoxcar_shorty
Stranger
Male

#26023729 - 05/30/19 07:42 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Hell yeah man! That's awesome. Everyone is right man. The faster you can dry them the better.
428 farenheit is the melting point of psilocybin so heat doesn't destroy potency. Christ, cultures in south America brew mushroom tea over a roaring fire.

--------------------

OfflineAeser
Conservative Hippy
Male

#26029988 - 06/03/19 07:48 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Glad to see it worked out Nan. Beginners often confuse the blue bruising with mold. So now you know next time and green woulda been a big bummer lol. The results look as they should and second flush will bare larger fruits. Those little ones with black heads are called aborts and should be picked as soon as you are sure what they are. The black color is bacterial enzymes breaking the mushroom down into slime so it cant eat em :P You want those to thrown out and kept from your healthy mushrooms so it doesn't cross contam. When you dry make sure your thorough. You should be able to snap the stem in half like a cracker. If it bends they will grow bacteria and spoil. It should have no flexibility at all just a snapping break.

--------------------

Edited by Aeser (06/03/19 07:48 AM)

Offlinepolyflakes
free thinker
 User Gallery

#26030003 - 06/03/19 07:59 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

I would fan dry then desiccant them in a sealed container until cracker dry work for smaller yields.

--------------------

OfflineAeser
Conservative Hippy
Male
Re: Grow noob [Re: polyflakes]
    #26032814 - 06/04/19 04:29 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

polyflakes said:
I would fan dry then desiccant them in a sealed container until cracker dry work for smaller yields.

Yeah that works too. Ive never done it myself because Ive always had a dehydrator even before I got into this hobby :smile: How long does that process take? Seems like it would take a few days or so.

--------------------

OfflineNanutzu
Stranger
Re: Grow noob [Re: polyflakes]
    #26032820 - 06/04/19 04:31 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

I soaked the cake in cold water for about 15 hours, now, after 3 days, only one mushroom came. The cake is dark not white and fluffy like first time.
I don't know if I did something wrong.
When I picked them, I removed the bottom part aswell along with little parts of the substrate. Was this a mistake?
Good to know about cracking, I did dry them, but some of them do bend. I put them in a sealed bag. I will consume within 2-3 weeks.
I will post some pictures soon.
Cheers.

Edited by Nanutzu (06/04/19 04:37 PM)

OfflineAeser
Conservative Hippy
Male
    #26032999 - 06/04/19 06:26 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

if you can't get em cracker dry at least remove as much air from your storage container as you can and freeze em.
Just remember your fruiting triggers. The amount of time it needs light is debatable but the dark is really important FME. It's not uncommon for a new flush to take 4 or even up to 7 days to get noticeably started.  The cake discoloration is normal. As far as your picking method,  just gently twist at the base and try not to rip the sub. This is unavoidable sometimes but it's not the end of the world and should still grow. Lol your cake will start to smell sour sorta after a few flushes.  That's a good time to toss it. If it doesnt show life by then I'd dunk it for 4 to 8 hours and scrape the top with a sterile fork kinda like your plowing a field. It sometimes forces mushrooms because the myc will be put under stress. Stress can cause a fruiting trigger because it at least wants it's genes to live on.

--------------------

Edited by Aeser (06/04/19 06:35 PM)

OfflineNanutzu
Stranger
    #26049514 - 06/13/19 06:06 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Hi.
I harvest my second flush, not as much as expected but I had a giant one.
Now I set up third flush but somehow I got mold.

OfflineAeser
Conservative Hippy
Male

#26049581 - 06/13/19 06:53 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Woops posted twice...

--------------------

Edited by Aeser (06/13/19 06:56 AM)

OfflineAeser
Conservative Hippy
Male

#26049582 - 06/13/19 06:55 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Lol yes mold spores are everywhere and airborne.  It's to be expected. Just let it rip and see what happens:) if the mushrooms don't seem healthy use them for tea. I'm not seeing green which is good. If u let your mushrooms mature to much on last flush,  they might have dumped spores onto your substrate. Allot of rookies confuse that with mold. Id have to see it in person to be sure but if that's the case,  it's ugly but harmless. Cakes darken after every flush as well.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck