Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMrPhysics
Stranger
I think my setup underperformed.. anybody care to take a guess?
    #25999630 - 05/18/19 11:53 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

I bought a kit (first time) and put it in a large container to keep it safe from kids and cats. I have a small house and its too cold in the garage.

I'll post a pic but essentially the kit uses a small fan and humidifier to keep constant RH and positive air flow. I cut a hole in the big container so that the fan on the humidifier box could get air.

It took a long time but out of 12 cakes 3 or 4 had a small flush, most had lots of aborts on the bottom or never even pinned. I'm grateful i was able to have my first experience from this but I'd like to improve this setup. I also occasionally hooked up a fan and misted manually.

Any thoughts on how i could improve this of what might cause slow progress and aborts is much appreciated. I cleaned all the aborts, dunked in cool water for 36 hours and they're back in the two chambers now. Hoping for a second flush.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMrPhysics
Stranger
Re: I think my setup underperformed.. anybody care to take a guess? [Re: MrPhysics]
    #25999837 - 05/18/19 02:07 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

By the way this is no reflection on this kit or its creator. Ive had a great experience with them, they've been so helpful, responsive and totally willing to help. I highly recommend these guy's kit for folks like me who are just getting started.

That said, I'm attempting to use this setup in a non standard way and im probably screwing something up as a consequence. My home is cold, small, dirty (mold problems in the bathrooms) and i have cats and kids and a lot of dust so i stuffed this kit into a big tub (as pictured) to try and keep it clean and free of contams.

OfflineRoshambastic21
Goober
Male User Gallery

Loc: Omicron-Persei 8
Re: I think my setup underperformed.. anybody care to take a guess? [Re: MrPhysics]
    #25999854 - 05/18/19 02:22 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

This is just my .02 but those bois look way too hydrated/saturated. Anyone else?

--------------------
Keep it Secret.

Keep it Safe.

OfflineMrPhysics
Stranger
Re: I think my setup underperformed.. anybody care to take a guess? [Re: Roshambastic21]
    #25999908 - 05/18/19 03:09 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

I could remove the tub lids and fan without misting for an extended time period (all day)?

OfflineRoshambastic21
Goober
Male User Gallery

#25999964 - 05/18/19 03:44 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

The thing is, fanning is meant to clear your tub of humidity, thus causing evaporation of water on your cakes. This evaporation is what jump starts your pins. In all honesty, I'm not sure what direction you could head in now, besides making sure there is:
1. Absolutely no pooling water (droplets on cakes are ok)
2. Plenty of fresh air exchange
3. No funny odors or colors
I'm really curious to see how these turn out, but I have no real experience with this kind of situation. Good luck!:thumbup:

--------------------
Keep it Secret.

Keep it Safe.

InvisibleRandyBobandy
Astronomer
I'm a teapot

Loc: Mushroom Mountain
Re: I think my setup underperformed.. anybody care to take a guess? [Re: Roshambastic21]
    #25999982 - 05/18/19 03:56 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

That mushroom on the right in pic 2 has a wicked cap

--------------------

Offlinepickle jar pete
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: I think my setup underperformed.. anybody care to take a guess? [Re: RandyBobandy]
    #26000019 - 05/18/19 04:20 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Seems like a complicated system for cakes.  Maybe add damp perlite to the bottom?  Without knowing exactly how the system works, it is difficult to trouble shoot. From the results you would probably be better off with a bottle or jar FC.

Using a 2-liter plastic bottle

Poke holes in bottom
Cut off top 2/3rds of the way up
Put damp perlite in bottom- 2inches
Piece of tinfoil for cake to sit on
put top back on upside down (just seems to seat better)
give one spritz-- once/twice a day as needed

--------------------
“I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.” ― Edgar Allan Poe

OfflineRoshambastic21
Goober
Male User Gallery

Re: I think my setup underperformed.. anybody care to take a guess? [Re: pickle jar pete]
    #26000178 - 05/18/19 06:18 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

It is indeed a complicated (and impressive) set up. I bet under better circumstances it might work

--------------------
Keep it Secret.

Keep it Safe.

OfflineMrPhysics
Stranger
    #26000232 - 05/18/19 07:04 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Thanks .. i would very much like to get this thing to consistently produce, i dont need much but i only got 15g dry out of it. I've had a couple folks suggest a moist perlite layer for the cakes to sit on.. i went ahead and bought a bag. I have to verify but i think you put foil down under each cake. So. I'm going to try that for now. I'll post updates!

Thanks for all the good advice..

InvisibleRandyBobandy
Astronomer
I'm a teapot

#26000614 - 05/18/19 11:13 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Isn’t that kit like $130? :thumbdown:

Did you use the brf jars that came with it as well? They may be nice people but that doesn’t mean their products aren’t shit and overpriced lol

--------------------

Edited by RandyBobandy (05/18/19 11:16 PM)

OfflineMLPismyOPSEC
That One Ponyfucker
I'm a teapot

Loc: Equestria? Mordor? Wester... Flag
    #26001027 - 05/19/19 08:42 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Roshambastic21 said:
This is just my .02 but those bois look way too hydrated/saturated. Anyone else?

Definitely look too saturated, they would do better if OP was able to dial back the water a little bit.

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I think my setup underperformed.. anybody care to take a guess? [Re: MLPismyOPSEC] * 1
    #26001109 - 05/19/19 09:54 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

over watered, too high of humidity, too little air exchange. those cakes would have done better sitting on a book shelf with a baggie to hold in moisture while you're gone

those grow kit contraptions are designed to separate you from your money. If they knew anything about helping someone with little to no experience get some mushrooms they would sell you a much more simple kit with better results.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24981864

spend $50 and have the equipment and enough ingredients left over to do more again.

OfflineMrPhysics
Stranger
Re: I think my setup underperformed.. anybody care to take a guess? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #26001854 - 05/19/19 05:41 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Shoeboxes look nice.. i still need to keep them all inside the big tub to keep kids, cats, dust out. If i run a fan in there think that'd work? Also, gets cold here.. always about 64 to 68 in this house year round.

OfflineRoshambastic21
Goober
Male User Gallery

#26001869 - 05/19/19 05:46 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

The cold definitely slows progress, but I leave my ceiling fan running in my room, haven't had any issues.

--------------------
Keep it Secret.

Keep it Safe.

InvisibleRandyBobandy
Astronomer
I'm a teapot

#26002092 - 05/19/19 08:07 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Quote:

MrPhysics said:
Shoeboxes look nice.. i still need to keep them all inside the big tub to keep kids, cats, dust out. If i run a fan in there think that'd work? Also, gets cold here.. always about 64 to 68 in this house year round.

Just cut some holes into it and make a monotub don’t bother putting a fan inside of a tub. If you look at the Making Shoeboxes thread Mushboy fruits his shoeboxes inside a mono.

I always fruit at 65-68 degrees. Denser fruits (and depending on who you ask, more potent fruits as well)

--------------------

OfflineMrPhysics
Stranger
Re: I think my setup underperformed.. anybody care to take a guess? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #26010263 - 05/24/19 12:39 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

@bodhisatta

Do you get a second flush with jar FC? I imagine you could dunk for 24 hours after flush, put em back the same way with a bit of dry verm.

Bodhisattva, would you take me by the hand
Bodhisattva, would you take me by the hand
Can you show me the shine of your Japan
The sparkle of your china, can you show me

Hope you get the reference lol

OfflineLush4Mush
Stranger
    #26012076 - 05/25/19 05:16 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Does seem like it's getting too much moisture.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started