Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineJackieTheJunkie
Nerd newbie, but read a lot
I'm a teapot

Loc: idk, you tell me
First timer needs visual validation for his grain jars [CLEAN PICS]
    #25998032 - 05/17/19 01:50 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Hello all, firstly, thank you for all the information provided in this forum. I have a list of comprehensive bookmarks for all the steps and different TEKs I can use. Thanks to everyone who makes this community solid and really helpful to beginners.

I have read the rules regarding new posts and Bod's TEK on how to spot cobweb in grain jars, but I would really appreciate it if some of you can help me validate that I have a clean culture in my grain jars.

They have been sitting on my shelf for approximatively 6-7 weeks now. Temperature almost all the time between 26 and 28 Celsius. RH in the room is around 40% pretty much all the time also. Conditions are stable since my jars are in a dedicated room.

My jars were PC'd for about an hour at 15 psi. They contain white millet only plus 1 cc of B+ spores each. Colonization is a lot more slow than I thought it would be; I think I should inject more spores next time, maybe 2 or 3 cc for each jar (please correct me if I'm wrong). Spores were in a liquid culture syringe.

I have read that cobweb (Dactylium for nerds) spreads at a very fast rate. Also, it has a greyish color, but from what I can see, all my jars have the same white shade. Since my jars were inoculated almost 2 months ago, I doubt that they got infected by cobweb, but I made this post to be sure as you have more experience than me. :wink:

I don't have SFDs, so I used some "breathing tape" at my local pharmacy. I applied a different number of layers on the jars lids' holes, to see which one worked the best. I have nine jars in total: one with 1 layer, two with 3, three with 2 and three with a half and half mix of 1 and 2 layers. The half-half mix jars all aborted. The one with only 1 layer is growing the fastest (duh).

Here are the pictures of my jars.

Thank you all for your help. Keep on shrooming! :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineProfessor X
School for the Gifted
 User Gallery

Re: First timer needs visual validation for his grain jars [CLEAN PICS] [Re: JackieTheJunkie]
    #25998043 - 05/17/19 02:00 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Shake them up, it will take at least two more months to colonize millet one

--------------------

My no pour Petri TEK - https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27252059/page/1

OfflineMycologist217
Frank's Disciple
Male User Gallery

Loc: Man of the Moon
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First timer needs visual validation for his grain jars [CLEAN PICS] [Re: Professor X]
    #25998057 - 05/17/19 02:07 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Looks very clean! Nice job

--------------------
My LC Manual (With custom LC lid Tek) ~~ Required Mycology Supplies ~~ Agar Work Videos ~~ L G M
AMU Q&A-NO SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL! KEEP THAT IN MIND! BUY THE TICKET: TAKE THE RIDE

Check out my Retail Gourmet Mushroom Farm!

Mycologist217 is a fictitious entity that uses images supplied by Google to mask his/her inability to develop normal social habits.

OfflineMycologist217
Frank's Disciple
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First timer needs visual validation for his grain jars [CLEAN PICS] [Re: Mycologist217]
    #25998059 - 05/17/19 02:08 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Also yeah...give them all a good shaking.

--------------------
My LC Manual (With custom LC lid Tek) ~~ Required Mycology Supplies ~~ Agar Work Videos ~~ L G M
AMU Q&A-NO SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL! KEEP THAT IN MIND! BUY THE TICKET: TAKE THE RIDE

Mycologist217 is a fictitious entity that uses images supplied by Google to mask his/her inability to develop normal social habits.

OfflineJackieTheJunkie
I'm a teapot

Re: First timer needs visual validation for his grain jars [CLEAN PICS] [Re: Professor X]
    #25998060 - 05/17/19 02:09 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Damn, if only I knew... But thanks, I shake them up 2 or 3 times a week.

EDIT: At most 1 or 2 times a week actually. Some of them were never shaken.

Edited by JackieTheJunkie (05/17/19 02:25 PM)

OfflineJackieTheJunkie
I'm a teapot

Re: First timer needs visual validation for his grain jars [CLEAN PICS] [Re: Mycologist217]
    #25998066 - 05/17/19 02:10 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Thank you for your reply! Glad to learn that they look good. I will shake them now lol.

OfflineMycologist217
Frank's Disciple
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First timer needs visual validation for his grain jars [CLEAN PICS] [Re: JackieTheJunkie]
    #25998067 - 05/17/19 02:10 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Oh you should only shake 2 or 3 times tops throughput incubation. Just let them finish after the next shake

--------------------

OfflineJackieTheJunkie
I'm a teapot

#25998085 - 05/17/19 02:18 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Alright! I'll stop breaking their will to grow by being too impatient :laugh:

OfflineProfessor X
School for the Gifted
 User Gallery

#25998183 - 05/17/19 03:20 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Something is off here...

--------------------

My no pour Petri TEK - https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27252059/page/1

Invisiblesh4d0ws
LSx
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#25998208 - 05/17/19 03:46 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

It kinda looks suspect to me. I don't have any experience growing on millet but, second row, the farthest left picture there is a a large amount of moisture in bottom of jar...doesn't look good. The mycelium itself also looks off to me but it might just be whatever you're growing, the grains, or the pictures. I don't know.

That jar with all that excess moisture though...I would be keeping a real good eye on it at the least..

--------------------

OfflineJackieTheJunkie
I'm a teapot

Re: First timer needs visual validation for his grain jars [CLEAN PICS] [Re: sh4d0ws]
    #25999915 - 05/18/19 01:12 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, it is not the best example of healthy mycelium compared to what I have seen in some threads. I think I've shaken them up too much, so maybe the mycelium got weakened. Thanks for the heads up about the jar with excess moisture, I'll look at it closely in the next weeks to see if I can spot any contaminants.

OfflineMycologist217
Frank's Disciple
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25999969 - 05/18/19 01:46 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Wispy look 'weak' mycelium like that on grains is indicative of very clean spawn...I don't know why people are saying it looks off...it doesn't.

--------------------

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #26000033 - 05/18/19 02:27 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

All my mycelium looks like that when I use millet or WBS. It's one of my favorites for making spawn,  I have dumped whole jars outside and had them fruit several flushes without putting anything else in or on it, never had that happen with oats or other grains.

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

OfflineHillbillyjohn
Male User Gallery

Loc: The boonies
    #26000154 - 05/18/19 04:00 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

As others have said it looks right to me you just beat them up a little much lol just shake at 30% then maybe once more before letting it finish.

OfflineJackieTheJunkie
I'm a teapot

Re: First timer needs visual validation for his grain jars [CLEAN PICS] [Re: sh4d0ws]
    #26027035 - 06/01/19 11:23 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Thank you all for the numerous replies. Allow me to update this thread; sadly, I got bad news: three of my jars got contaminated. I think it's due to too much moisture in them, just as sh4d0ws said.

Quote:

sh4d0ws:
That jar with all that excess moisture though...I would be keeping a real good eye on it at the least..

Seems like two more like this one had too much moisture and got infected. There are still three jars that look good, but one of them started to develop tiny yellow spots just like the three contaminated ones. Will be keeping an eye on it to see how it goes.

RH in the room was increasing during the past weeks. It used to sit near 30% at first, reached a peak of almost 50% a week ago, and now it's in the low 40s. I've just opened the window to create more airflow in the room. Temperature will be harder to maintain, but I'll test it to see if it can drop the RH.

Contam jar #1 (yellow stuff, too much moisture)

#2 (small yellow spots)

#3 (disgusting)

Suspicious jar (small light yellow spots in the mid-bottom)

RH

Any suggestions on how I should dispose of my contaminated grains? I read this thread, but I think I should just throw away the entire jar instead of taking the risk of it being contaminated again by the same thing, since you can't entirely sterilize something.

Also, since the jars were sitting there for quite a long time (2-3 months?), the chances of contamination were way higher. I think I will buy liquid culture next time (learned today that it's not the same as spore syringes... :stoned2:) to avoid that problem.

My thanks to you all once again,

Jackie

OfflineProfessor X
School for the Gifted
 User Gallery

#26027802 - 06/01/19 08:14 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

JackieTheJunkie said:
Thank you all for the numerous replies. Allow me to update this thread; sadly, I got bad news: three of my jars got contaminated. I think it's due to too much moisture in them, just as sh4d0ws said.

Quote:

sh4d0ws:

Seems like two more like this one had too much moisture and got infected. There are still three jars that look good, but one of them started to develop tiny yellow spots just like the three contaminated ones. Will be keeping an eye on it to see how it goes.

RH in the room was increasing during the past weeks. It used to sit near 30% at first, reached a peak of almost 50% a week ago, and now it's in the low 40s. I've just opened the window to create more airflow in the room. Temperature will be harder to maintain, but I'll test it to see if it can drop the RH.

Contam jar #1 (yellow stuff, too much moisture)

#2 (small yellow spots)

#3 (disgusting)

Suspicious jar (small light yellow spots in the mid-bottom)

RH

Any suggestions on how I should dispose of my contaminated grains? I read this thread, but I think I should just throw away the entire jar instead of taking the risk of it being contaminated again by the same thing, since you can't entirely sterilize something.

Also, since the jars were sitting there for quite a long time (2-3 months?), the chances of contamination were way higher. I think I will buy liquid culture next time (learned today that it's not the same as spore syringes... :stoned2:) to avoid that problem.

My thanks to you all once again,

Jackie

I would put them in shoeboxes. I've had spawn like that go for 7+ flushes. Big difference between ideal and unusable. If I wrote my story and the experiments I have done I would make people really mad, let's just say domesticated cube mycelium is a lot tougher than it gets credit for. I have a bacterial shoebox that's been coughing up bonkers for 2 months with no issues other than the whole sub is yellow. Spawned the jar at 80% cause it wouldn't finish colonization, it's tougher than hell. I also have some 11 tubs from 3rd generation g2g transfers that originated from multi spore on popcorn that was cooked in a broken PC and had obvious bacteria that are on their 2nd flush now. I expect them to hang out a while. The only thing that didn't work was skipping the PC altogether on the spawn jars that molded fast. I also had issues with a couple syringes.

I do most things in ways that will never work with equipment that will never work using techniques that will never work with outstanding results. I can't take all the credit, the vendor I buy from sells the top quality shit that I got my shit from. I've got one strain going that makes damn near invincible mycelium, I put trich spores in on purpose and it took 3 flushes on a PF cake for the trich to begin and another flush to win, 4 flushes from a 1:2 cake purposefully infected with Trichoderma. And the big shots here wonder why I talk so much shit. I purposefully have done all the thing to ruin my grows and used all the spawn that would grow all the mold and can't even get the mold to take hold.

Seriously, I wouldn't trash those.

--------------------

OfflineRaccoon
Newb
Male

#26027964 - 06/01/19 10:24 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

since you can't entirely sterilize something

You can't? Isn't that what the pressure cooker is for? Don't throw away contaminated jars. Many just dump in the garden and wash. I'd take the precaution of a mask and taking off your clothes after the deed is done. The PC will kill what's left in the jars next time you sterilize grain.

The first jar looks the worst. But I agree with Prof X, spawn it anyway to a shoebox. I'm a total noob, but my jars looked a bit like your number 2 and I'm getting great growth and it started pinning like crazy after 10 days.

--------------------
First Grow

OfflineMycologist217
Frank's Disciple
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First timer needs visual validation for his grain jars [CLEAN PICS] [Re: Raccoon] * 1
    #26027979 - 06/01/19 10:33 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Professor X is a troll...he spews garbage bullshit all day here...

That being said...you should spawn all those jars...shoe boxes is one idea...a decent one...but our could also just make a Monotub out of all of them.

Good luck.

--------------------

InvisibleBoogieman47
Let's boogie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under your bed Flag
    #26028038 - 06/01/19 11:19 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

We technically dont get true sterilization with pressure cookers atleast not our grain ... I believe those jars are just too wet those long stringy myc fingers are usually indicators of bacteria but it also happens with wet substrates ..

As my friend above me stated I would use those jars any way but g2g

--------------------

OfflineMycologist217
Frank's Disciple
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First timer needs visual validation for his grain jars [CLEAN PICS] [Re: Boogieman47]
    #26028048 - 06/01/19 11:26 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Jar #1 just forget and throw it away

The rest...just spawn them if they fully colonized.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale