Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Gypsum, Injection Ports, Malt Extract, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHighHarles
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

First Agar run
    #25996450 - 05/16/19 06:56 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Welcome to my amateur shenanigans from ye yung boi HighHarles!
This is my first agar run. This is an MEA agar. I poured a total of 24 plates. 17 of these plates I used a liquid multi Spore syringe that was 6+ months old with no refrigeration for the storage, however it was kept in a relatively cool dark environment. It was a golden teachers syringe I figured to try to make use of with an unlikely chance. Itd be sad if I didn't.
The other 7 I used hull oats from some grain jars I've had stalling in the fridge for about the same amount of time. The strain name on these goodies would be Columbian Rust Spores. I do have 2 untapped jars of Pf classic I should probably put to use soon. Out of curiosity in my trial and error stage one dish has a clump of grains which I know wasnt wise I just wanted to see different things.
I just wanted to share my progress as I go
6 of the 7 grain plates are showing growth so I'm eager to make more. I read the ones noc'd up with the syringe can take 2-3 weeks to germinate and show signs of life. Here are some pics, I appreciate any tips. I have had a partial success with my second go on a bulk sub that was contaminated. My previous runs with these endeavors were some poopy brf cakes and the last run with a mono tub.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFrankRhizo
Interdimensional Travel Agent
Male User Gallery
Loc: Subterranean Flag
Re: First Agar run [Re: HighHarles]
    #25999048 - 05/18/19 04:48 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Ditch the scotch tape use a 1"-3/4" roll of saran wrap. When it grows out to a nickel or quarter size growth transfer away from any contaminates like the 7 o'clock position on plates 1&2.

OfflineMr.Mush420
Stranger
Male

Loc: Alberta Flag
    #26000621 - 05/18/19 11:22 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

My Agar recipe
    1L water
    15gr of agar
    15gr light malt extract
    1 tbs honey or light corn syrup

I boil the water then and ingredients and blend using one of the hand held smoothie blender things. Then pour a small amount into the small wide mouth mason jars put the lids with breather and inoculation port, cover with tinfoil and pc @15 psi for 20 min and cool in pc over night.

Bulk substrate recipe
1 part coco coir
1 part vermiculite
1 part composted cow manure / horse manure
A little gypsum
A little worm castings
Add boiling water till field capacity achieved

I put ingredients in and medium size big brute garbage can and mix with concrete mixer on a drill. Don’t use cordless drill will burn out fast. Put enough substrate in poly mush bags to fill one mono tub fold over top and seal with a zip tie. Put bag in pot of water and bring to 160 degrees for 3 hours or so till internal temp reaches 160 degrees to achieve proper pasteurization then allow to cool overnight before use or until internal temp reaches about 80 degrees.

Jar lid tek
So I use a 7/32 drill bit and drill 3 holes into the lid in a triangle one on each side and one near the top. After drilling my holes I use a hammer and a dolly to hammer the holes smooth and remove the burrs. After all the holes are smooth I use a white rust paint and paint just around and in the holes that I drilled to prevent rusting and make the lids last longer. After the paint dries over night I use rtv silicone and make injection ports in the top hole of the triangle just put a dab on the back and push some through the hole and dab the other side so it’s one piece going through. Put some dish soap in water to dip your finger in so the silicone won’t stick. The other 2 holes I just cover with micropore tape and use these lids on my grain and agar so I can inoculate how ever I want. Have reused my lids lots and even reuse the tape filters.

Corn prep tek
I just go to a local feed store and buy whole corn, I put some in a strainer rinse well and then put in enough water to submerge and remove the floating. Put in pot with water some gypsum and a little antibacterial dish soap bring to a boil then simmer for about 20 min or until corn is pretty much hydrated right through, pour it out on my drying screen I like better than strainers just cause you can get in thinner. Spread it around a couple times to get most moisture off then let it sit over night. I put one Tbs of vermiculite in my Litre jar and fill 3/4 full put lids on cover with foil and pc @ 15 psi for 2 hours usually let them cool over night before inoculation. Remember a little too dry is better than too wet.

OfflineMr.Mush420
Stranger
Male

Loc: Alberta Flag
    #26000630 - 05/18/19 11:28 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

I’m still pretty new to this as well but I hope that helps I find it hard to get people actual recipe for stuff that’s what I’ve been using lately seems to be working pretty well for me. I have golden teacher PESA strophoria great white monsters and just starting some penis envy hope that helped some with my agar jars you can inoculate with a syringe and never open it haven’t really had any contam problems yet well hope this helps and happy growing.

OfflineHighHarles
Stranger

Re: First Agar run [Re: Mr.Mush420]
    #26002380 - 05/19/19 10:50 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

I'm not sure if this violates any of the rules here but I made this post twice under two different forum sections. The second being the journals n logs. https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/25996639
This is a little more updated. I poured more plates today, 14. Then used more grain the 6 successful ones are looking pretty alright. I cant see the contams myself with an inexperienced eye. I can tell they are there due to the lack of myc growth in that direction. I appreciate the look out. I used C10's agar guide for this run, however it didnt call for honey or corn syrup. When my myc decides it doesnt like these plain plates long enough I'll try it out n switch it up. I appreciate all the feedback. I was just updating the one I thought would be more proper to upkeep. Guess I shoulda been over here with the insight
Thanks everybody!!

OfflineHighHarles
Stranger

#26002388 - 05/19/19 10:52 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

OfflineFrankRhizo
Male User Gallery
    #26002714 - 05/20/19 04:39 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

They look good. Ready for transfers any time now. Any questions about transferring?

OfflineHighHarles
Stranger

Re: First Agar run [Re: FrankRhizo]
    #26002837 - 05/20/19 07:52 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

I feel like I should let them colonize for another day or two yet? Cut like it was tic tac toe and make not of which sections are healthier to isolate aggressive genetics ?

OfflineFrankRhizo
Male User Gallery
    #26003809 - 05/20/19 05:54 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Day or two is fine. NO tic tac toe. Take a rice grain sized piece if the leading edge of the myc.

OfflineHighHarles
Stranger

#26004036 - 05/20/19 07:47 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Is the thicker most outward myc what I should isolate?

OfflineFrankRhizo
Male User Gallery
    #26006866 - 05/22/19 08:58 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Don't worry about isolation. Worry about healthy, clean growth. Yes the leading edge is what you want to transfer. Read Stro's and/or C10's agar thread.

OfflineCrackatoaS
Stranger in a strange land

Loc: Over by your Mama's house Flag
    #26006998 - 05/22/19 11:09 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Stro's cleaning up agar thread is amazing and very educational. I've read it over and over. And C10s as well. There's alot of great info here.

OfflineHighHarles
Stranger

Re: First Agar run [Re: Crackatoa]
    #26007488 - 05/22/19 04:07 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Transfers today

OfflineRaccoon
Newb
Male

#26008936 - 05/23/19 10:36 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Looking great! Notice how circular it is, good sign. Not that the non-circular form means you have contams, but it is easier to hide contams and be caused by contams. Rock on, dude!

--------------------
First Grow

OfflineHighHarles
Stranger

#26008979 - 05/23/19 10:58 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

I just ended up sleeping all day and pouring plates.  Transfers today 5-23*
I appreciate the enthusiasm from the community. I'm falling in love with mycrology

OfflineTstone
St.of Circumstance
 User Gallery

Loc: This Planet
    #26008989 - 05/23/19 11:10 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

The best part- you know for a fact that  you'll be using clean cultures!! Make certain that you keep your clean, unused plates, they will be used in the future! Occasionally you might find a wedge ( plate) of agar that may produce small shrooms, less than desired potency,etc. Label everything,so you know where the underperforming or outstanding genetics originated from, should you decide to discard plates or expand cultures.

--------------------
Wake now, discover that you are the song that morning brings, but the heart has it's seasons, it's evenings and songs of it's own"

Edited by Tstone (05/23/19 11:11 AM)

OfflineHighHarles
Stranger

Re: First Agar run [Re: Tstone]
    #26009057 - 05/23/19 11:58 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

I labeled the ones in order of what I thought was healthiest

When I get back to my place I'll be taking a closer look to see if I can identify sectors.
I can use the same dish for 10 more dishes right? Should I just use the two most successful dishes right now and store the rest until I pour 20 more plates then use the next 2 in line?

OfflineHighHarles
Stranger

#26009379 - 05/23/19 03:17 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

I used plates 1 and 2. 10 transfers from plate 2, 9 from 1. One plate poured the night prior was a mess. I sucked at cutting a thin layer from underneath the myc at first but started to get the hang of it

Sorry if it's frowned upon or a waste but throwing these away now

Edited by HighHarles (05/23/19 03:20 PM)

OfflineHighHarles
Stranger

#26009707 - 05/23/19 06:00 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Oh and that Spore syringe with the golden teachers is done germinating. I used too much on each dish so it looks like I'm gonna have problems with competing colonies. They arent the most sterile either. I decided to keep these slightly above room temp and below completely ideal. 78°F, this way I can see some quicker growth but not give any bacteria conditions thatd be too optimal.

OfflineHighHarles
Stranger

#26012138 - 05/25/19 06:59 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

All 14 of the grain plates are looking decent bubs
Only one of those 19 transfers looks bacterial
22 healthy plates along with the golden teachers that need to be isolated and cloned. Got the other healthy 4 triple wrapped and bagged, tossed in the fridge. I'll be using them to do some a2g and get a bigger incubator for the jars.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Gypsum, Injection Ports, Malt Extract, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started