Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Brown Rice Flour, Portable Greenhouse, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineredone
Errbody gettin'tRipsy
Loc: Right here^^^see, that's ...
My no PCing, ghetto experiment of little faith . . .
    #2598465 - 04/24/04 05:30 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hey, the other day, I ordered some spores and when they got here, they were all ghetto lookin' so I decided to do a little ghetto experiment. I had so little faith in the syringes, that I didn't even want to invest the time and effort into the typical tek. I mixed up a batch of my usual substrate - 2 parts BRF to 1 part rye flour, sterilized well water, a dash of organic honey and of course, vermiculite. I put it in 2 pint sized jars with a little bit of dry verm (with about an inch and a half of space on top), injected 10ccs of the (alleged) weakly spored solution and shook it up like crazy. I quickly opened the top, dumped in some dry verm and closed it back up. I didn't PC, boil or anything. I just stuck it in a hella dark incubator and left it. I was banking on the fact (okay, actually I was just hoping) that if I keep them in complete darkness, it would hinder any would-be contams, and that the colonization *should* happen so quickly that they wouldn't have a chance anyways.

A day and a half later, they look fine - no contam, and the myc is all over the jar. It looks like it's been in there for 5 or 6 days instead of just a day and a half. I'll keep ya posted on how it goes. I could be on to something here. All becuase of some ghetto spores.

We shall see.

As anyone else done anything to the likes of this?

--------------------
"I'm just lying to try and get attention again."

The events in question are not to my recollection.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Loc: Throughout the world
Re: My no PCing, ghetto experiment of little faith . . . [Re: redone]
    #2598483 - 04/24/04 05:39 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

#1 :lol:
#2 Spores dont even germinate in 1 1/2 days
#3 Since the spores havent even germinated yet,there cannot be Myc all over the jar.
#4 if you have anything,you most likely have Cobweb mold.
Im not trying to be mean,its just not possable.Now if you had said that you did this a week ago,then maybe you could be lucky,but it just cant happen in  1 1/2 days.
#5 :lol:
BTW.. some lights actual harm alot of contams.

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

Offlineredone
Errbody gettin'tRipsy
Re: My no PCing, ghetto experiment of little faith . . . [Re: ButterNut]
    #2598527 - 04/24/04 06:19 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

#1 :smile:
#2 you're right, it was 3 1/2 days, probably closer to 4 - I guess I got my days mixed up
#3 I know myc when I see it, I'm pretty sure that it's not the web
#4 again,I doubt that it's the "the web" but who knows, you could be right
#5 That too, is true, light does harm some contams, but most need a low level of light to thrive

Lastly, I understand that you're not trying to be mean, just like I'm not trying to be contrite or contrary.

Nonetheless, due to the shaky beginnings of this "project" and the ghetto spores, I don't have high hopes for it anyways. I was just bullshiting around.

I really do appreciate your input, BUT, back to the pertinent question, has anyone else tried anything like this before?

--------------------

OfflineAeolus1369
Dr. Seahorse
Male

#2598602 - 04/24/04 07:02 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

redone said:
light does harm some contams, but most need a low level of light to thrive

What in the world are you basing this information on? 99% of all bacterial species and molds (the photosynthetic ones being the exception) are totally unresponsive to light unless it's at ionizing frequencies such as UV and smaller wavelengths.

--Aeolus

Offlineredone
Errbody gettin'tRipsy
Re: My no PCing, ghetto experiment of little faith . . . [Re: Aeolus1369]
    #2598623 - 04/24/04 07:18 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Can't remember the exact source . . . my college prof. specialized in mycology . . . that's a tidbit that I picked up in class. It was some damn textbook. I wish I still had it or knew the name/author.

--------------------

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
    #2598749 - 04/24/04 08:47 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Here's my run on a similar Ghetto Tek...
I just had 6 jars finish colonizing, and went forth with casing them.
The verm from the top of the jars(the protective layer) was scraped off, and set inside a pint jar. I ended up with about 1.5 inches of this mycelium-entwined verm. next, I added about 1.5 cups of tap water and a tablespoon of karo, and mixed it up. I put an old lid, with 2 holes in it, onto the jar, and slipped a ziplock bag over the top of the jar, and put it into the incubator.

Now, I was pretty sure that I would get contams, but said, eh, what the hell, we'll just see what happens. After all, it's an experiment.

I just too a look inside of the jar today and noted that a fair amount of white stuff is growing ontop of the floating verm. It's hard to tell exactly, but I'd bet money that its mycelium, and not cobweb mold growing, but it's really too wet to be able to tell.

I plan on following up on this experiment, possibly casing it in a small tupperware dish, and seeing what comes of it.

I should be able to tell whether its cobweb, or myc, since this strain of EQ is quite Rhizomorphic.

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: My no PCing, ghetto experiment of little faith . . . [Re: mycoguy]
    #2598785 - 04/24/04 09:04 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Even if the growth was linear and very weak, I would still be able to tell the difference between cobweb and mycelium. Once you see them both and have a basis for comparison, you will easily be able to tell the difference...

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineLoverOfMana
Hmm

#2598911 - 04/24/04 10:01 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah i've done something similar. No verm though. I started a thread with a pic here : http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...;o=&fpart=1

lom

--------------------
"Prohibition goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes." -Abraham Lincoln

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Re: My no PCing, ghetto experiment of little faith . . . [Re: ATWAR]
    #2598921 - 04/24/04 10:06 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

after looking at some cobweb pics, I'm about 99% sure its mycelium in my jar, but as I said, it's still new growth, and is soaked in water, which makes it all kind of clump together. Should be able to tell in a few days.

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

#2600049 - 04/25/04 05:12 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

ok, well I decided to take another look at the jar. It's definitely mycelium growing. I'll try to get some pics as soon as I can.

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

Offlineredone
Errbody gettin'tRipsy
    #2600490 - 04/25/04 11:37 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'm gonna try and get some pics of mine up too. I've got some thick white growth with rhizo-veiny goodness stretching out. I'm also pretty sure that it's myc too. Cobwe mold tends to be lighter and more stringy IMO. I do a lot of gardening and greenhouse growing of all kinds of things so I've seen "the web" in just about all of it's forms thus far. It's nice to see that other people like to do random experiments in mycology. It doesn't always have to be so damned uber-technical!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Brown Rice Flour, Portable Greenhouse, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation