Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Morel cookery 101
    #2598371 - 04/24/04 04:44 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Well, since the reports of morel finds are trickling in now, I thought a recipe thread would be cool.  Woulda put it in the Culinary Arts forum but I figured it would be more suited to the crowd here, if the mods think it should be moved, thats ok.  Anyway, I pretty much only cook them one way, I've tried a couple other ways but this one always seems to win, cause it's so fast, easy and fucking good :laugh:.  Some people dip them in egg before flour, but I think you get more of the morel flavor with just flour. 

start by getting some morels, all I had for the pics was some half free morels, but it works with any kind.  Cut them in half and wash/soak them shortly, then let them dry out for a while. 

Get a dry bag or tupperware container and dump in some flour, pepper, regular or seasoning salt (johnny's=key) and whatever else you want.  close it and shake to mix everything up, then put your mushrooms in the container, close again and shake to cover them with the flour mix.

heat up a tablespoon or 2 of oil in a pan and put your mushrooms in.

Wait until they're nice and browned on one side and turn them.

Let them get browned on the other side (they're best crispy), put them between some paper towels and let the oil drain out for a minute then proceed to munch out :yesnod: :beer: :bong:

If anyone has other recipes to try, post em :thumbup:...

DH

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
Re: Morel cookery 101 [Re: spores]
    #2598973 - 04/24/04 10:32 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

mmmmm....makes me wanna get out there and find some morels! Thanks!

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2599104 - 04/24/04 11:25 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Here's a more general tip on morel cooking.

Most mushrooms should be cooked rapidly under high heat and not overcooked, as they will turn mushy. Morels do better when cooked under lower heat for a long time, as that seems to release their flavor better. Also, the texture of morels seems to hold up well under extended cooking.

For that reason, among others, morels are one of the best mushrooms for cream of mushroom soup. Use any recipe you find on the internet that sounds good, substituting morels for whatever mushrooms are used in the recipe. For soup, make sure you cut the mushrooms up into pieces small enough to fit in a spoon.

However you decide to cook morels, be sure you cook them thoroughly. There are lots of reports of poisonings from people who have eaten them raw or undercooked. The symptoms are nausea, cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea. While not life threatening, that could make for a long and unpleasant evening.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
Re: Morel cookery 101 [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2600142 - 04/25/04 06:57 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

"However you decide to cook morels, be sure you cook them thoroughly. There are lots of reports of poisonings from people who have eaten them raw or undercooked. The symptoms are nausea, cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea. While not life threatening, that could make for a long and unpleasant evening."

They are poisonous?

--------------------

InvisibleStymee
From here to reality.
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #2602858 - 04/26/04 12:22 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Last season I cooked morels in a sauteed fashion. I didn't get them crispy and they tasted mediocre. I'll try the flour method.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Morel cookery 101 [Re: doc34]
    #2603497 - 04/26/04 03:53 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

They are poisonous?

They cause severe stomach upsets when not cooked thoroughly. In a way you could call that poisonous. I seem to recall that they basically contain some mildly toxic substances that are completely destroyed by the heat of cooking.

There are also some reports of people who have become ill after consuming alcohol with morels. So you should probably limit your alcohol intake with them - as in, don't slam down a six pack at the same time.

I have eaten morels when available for the last 40 years without ever being poisoned. They are one of my favorite edible mushrooms. Just be sure you cook them well.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinefliped
The Lost One
Male

Loc: Pacific Northwest
    #2606863 - 04/27/04 04:20 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Very nice find, i just found my first morels of the season the other day.... MMMM MMM MMMMMMM :grin:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Toilet Paper

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification