Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: mendocino_beano] * 1
    #25985856 - 05/11/19 11:18 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

mendocino_beano said:
Doesn’t your food come out with a bunch of burnt bits of old food when you don’t properly wash your cast iron??

If I don’t wash with soap whatever I cook winds up coated with little black flakes of burnt food.

You guys are trippin about the soap thing. Everything you cook and eat with should be washed with soap, that’s disgusting

No lol. Damp paper towel. Wipe out pan right after you remove the food. The steam will clean all food bits out. Wipe pan dry. Don't be alarmed if the paper towel you use to dry gets a little yellow.

If your oven is warm because it was involved in cooking put the pan in there after wiping it

--------------------
:whyyy:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25985860 - 05/11/19 11:19 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

And soap makes a cast pan gross imo you don't want to loosen and guck up the polymer later and end up eating that. That's what's gross.

Don't eat at a nice restaurant if you want cast iron washed with soap. They don't do it

--------------------
:whyyy:

OfflineLuSiD9
reality is plastic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Bowels of Canada
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: mendocino_beano]
    #25985863 - 05/11/19 11:21 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

mendocino_beano said:
Also you guys should check out avocado oil. Very stable and high smoke point and mild slightly buttery flavor. It’s the best for frying

That sounds interesting, I love avo.

Is it expensive?

--------------------
Nothing is true, everything is permissible.

Our laws make law impossible; our liberties destroy all freedom; our property is organized robbery; our morality an impudent hypocrisy; our wisdom is administered by inexperienced or mal-experienced dupes; our power wielded by cowards and weaklings; and our honour false in all its points. I am an enemy of the existing order for good reasons.

Invisiblecannabinated
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Outside Flag
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: LuSiD9]
    #25985876 - 05/11/19 11:28 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

You still need to clean it just not with soap. It's more work to wash cast iron but its worth it.

I usually do a couple cycles of boiling water if I want to get it extra clean. Then I heat up some oil, wipe it out, and get it smokey.

Invisiblecannabinated

Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: cannabinated]
    #25985885 - 05/11/19 11:31 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

My family doesnt understand the concept either. I seasoned the hell out of my pans though so I dont have to worry too much if they wash it. I do most of the cooking anyway.

The worst thing is having black carbon chunks that taste like old dish washing water mixed in with your food.

InvisibleCookieCrumbsM
Fucked off to the pub
Female User Gallery

Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: DustyBottoms]
    #25985897 - 05/11/19 11:40 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

I let mine sit in dirty water for a while and maaaaan (I completely forgot about it being there).

Whatever it was preseasoned with protected it from rust to a certain degree but it fucking stunk. Like dirty metal and mildewy rotting food.

I've scrubbed the hell out of it several times and it still has an off smell to it.

Think I might need to take a heavy brillo pad and just scrub that top layer off.

Lesson of the story I guess, cast iron needs a little more care than stainless steal or aluminum.
But... it makes an infinitely better weapon.

--------------------
          :dancingbear: Free time is the only time :dancingbear:                    :thatsinteresting:

OfflineLuSiD9
reality is plastic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Bowels of Canada
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: cannabinated]
    #25985907 - 05/11/19 11:47 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

cannabinated said:
You still need to clean it just not with soap. It's more work to wash cast iron but its worth it.

I usually do a couple cycles of boiling water if I want to get it extra clean. Then I heat up some oil, wipe it out, and get it smokey.

This

--------------------
Nothing is true, everything is permissible.

Our laws make law impossible; our liberties destroy all freedom; our property is organized robbery; our morality an impudent hypocrisy; our wisdom is administered by inexperienced or mal-experienced dupes; our power wielded by cowards and weaklings; and our honour false in all its points. I am an enemy of the existing order for good reasons.

OfflinePhegnomeanon
The Phenomagnome
Male

Loc: SE USA Flag
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: CookieCrumbs]
    #25985914 - 05/11/19 11:52 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

What are y’alls opinion of seafood and cast iron?  I notice lingering flavor and use none stick for fish instead

--------------------

Invisiblecannabinated

#25985921 - 05/11/19 11:55 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

CookieCrumbs said:
I let mine sit in dirty water for a while and maaaaan (I completely forgot about it being there).

Whatever it was preseasoned with protected it from rust to a certain degree but it fucking stunk. Like dirty metal and mildewy rotting food.

I've scrubbed the hell out of it several times and it still has an off smell to it.

Think I might need to take a heavy brillo pad and just scrub that top layer off.

Lesson of the story I guess, cast iron needs a little more care than stainless steal or aluminum.

That's what I'm talking about. My family usually would leave the pans submerged in the sink for many days and then lightly scrub it with soap.

The seasoning will still drink up whatever you leave it in. It's not like enamel. If you scrub it and season it it will look and taste great. The sheen of a deeply seasoned pan is so beautiful to me. I feel like they should be seasoned a little over once a year to build up a sexy layer.

InvisibleDustyBottoms
 User Gallery

Loc: TheUnderbelly
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: Phegnomeanon]
    #25986097 - 05/11/19 01:37 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Phegnomeanon said:
What are y’alls opinion of seafood and cast iron?  I notice lingering flavor and use none stick for fish instead

Haven’t tried it yet but I want to throw some scallops on there.  Get those bitches nice and seared. 

I bet it would cook a nice fish on the stovetop.  Or maybe a stovetop and oven combo.

--------------------

OfflineCujllickduo
Male

Loc: England Flag
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: DustyBottoms]
    #25986216 - 05/11/19 02:35 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

i just butter cook most pan meals it works and dont stink

Invisiblecannabinated

Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: Cujllickduo] * 1
    #25986234 - 05/11/19 02:45 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

It only stinks if you let it soak in stinky water

InvisibleLophosaurus
suruasohpol

Loc: CA Flag
    #25986246 - 05/11/19 02:51 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

CookieCrumbs said:

I think you have to bake it for a long time to get everything out and then oil it again.

OfflineCHeifM4sterDiezL
Chief Globerts

Loc: United States Flag
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: Lophosaurus] * 1
    #25986307 - 05/11/19 03:29 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Since were talking about oils I usually use flaxseed to season and avacado oil for pretty much everything else. very rarely use butter for anything unless I want that taste. I really dont understand how people arnt getting there stuff clean without soap. I usually just save some starchy water from rice or boiled pasta or whatever and let that boil in the pan for a bit after cooking and then just simply wipe it clean and rinse. if u use a good oil and season it properly theres like a seriously impenetrable non stick coating on the bottom of that thing. cleans right up. I would never leave a cast iron in a sink to soak for any serious amount of time so maybe that's where people are running into problems.

OfflineCHeifM4sterDiezL
Chief Globerts

Loc: United States Flag
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: DustyBottoms] * 1
    #25986323 - 05/11/19 03:35 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

DustyBottoms said:
Quote:

Phegnomeanon said:

Haven’t tried it yet but I want to throw some scallops on there.  Get those bitches nice and seared. 

I bet it would cook a nice fish on the stovetop.  Or maybe a stovetop and oven combo.

a really good way to cook fish in a cast iron is to poach it in oil

Offlineichugwindex
Dex
Female User Gallery

Loc: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: CHeifM4sterDiezL] * 2
    #25986335 - 05/11/19 03:40 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Who knew a thread about cast iron could get so heated

--------------------
Only hope can give rise to the emotion we call despair. But it is nearly impossible for a man to try to live without hope, so I guess that leaves Man no choice but to walk around with despair as his companion.

Invisiblemendocino_beano
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: LuSiD9]
    #25986448 - 05/11/19 04:25 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LuSiD9 said:
Quote:

mendocino_beano said:
Also you guys should check out avocado oil. Very stable and high smoke point and mild slightly buttery flavor. It’s the best for frying

That sounds interesting, I love avo.

Is it expensive?

It’s a little pricey compared to olive oil. Costco has the best price I’ve found. It’s like 9 bucks for a liter bottle I think.

Just washed my cast iron with soap :shitstorm:

InvisibleLophosaurus
suruasohpol

Loc: CA Flag
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: mendocino_beano]
    #25986636 - 05/11/19 06:44 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

It doesn't need soap. Just wipe it out, oil if needed, and put it away. The thing with cast iron is that it holds heat really well so next time you cook you let the pan get hot and that kills anything that could still be living on the pan, which is nothing. Using soap is just being wasteful and I think it gets absorbed into the pan and then gets back into  your food. Does your food ever have a soapy taste?

InvisibleCookieCrumbsM
Fucked off to the pub
Female User Gallery

Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: CHeifM4sterDiezL]
    #25986795 - 05/11/19 08:28 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

CHeifM4sterDiezL said:
Since were talking about oils I usually use flaxseed to season and avacado oil for pretty much everything else. very rarely use butter for anything unless I want that taste. I really dont understand how people arnt getting there stuff clean without soap. I usually just save some starchy water from rice or boiled pasta or whatever and let that boil in the pan for a bit after cooking and then just simply wipe it clean and rinse. if u use a good oil and season it properly theres like a seriously impenetrable non stick coating on the bottom of that thing. cleans right up. I would never leave a cast iron in a sink to soak for any serious amount of time so maybe that's where people are running into problems.

Probably.

I'll try to bake and scrub mine clean tomorrow. Thx for the tips everyone.
If I do manage to get that funk out I'll probably reseason it with grape seed oil. Don't have any great preference for it but it's what I have and it's pretty heat tolerant.
If there's anything I think could be said for grape seed oil is I think it brings citrus flavors out some. Probably more than anything else I know of tbh. Which I'm not a huge fan of but I don't often put lemon, lime, or orange in my food so it usually isn't a problem.

--------------------
          :dancingbear: Free time is the only time :dancingbear:                    :thatsinteresting:

Invisiblecannabinated

#25986831 - 05/11/19 08:49 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Make sure to put a pan that wont warp with foil on it to catch the drippings while seasoning in the oven.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds