Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemycopanda
[suck it]
 User Gallery

Loc: stuck in your pocket!!
Re: SHROOMSISAY01 55 GALLON STEAMER TEK. [Re: SHROOMSISAY01]
    #25982876 - 05/09/19 09:53 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Oh fucken kayyy!!! I need this dumbed down.. I want the 130 gallon barrel ssteam sterilizer.. I dont need it to be electric I can set it on cement blocks with a burner under but if you can make it electric thats fine and I can add water.. My question is can i not use one of my pressure cookers without the weight and have that steam fed into the barrel.. Or what would you suggest.. I need the details and will be hireing someone to build it.. I would prefer to not have to get an engineer so the simpler the better but hey whatever you can help me with here...

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemycopanda
[suck it]
 User Gallery

Re: SHROOMSISAY01 55 GALLON STEAMER TEK. [Re: mycopanda]
    #25982878 - 05/09/19 09:56 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

I know I can buy one for 1800 but why when the parts are $400 and even if I had to hire an engineer that would be probably $500 for him to build it still leaving me at $900 instead of $1800, so help a sista out!!

--------------------

OfflineSivarted
Stranger
    #26024172 - 05/31/19 02:03 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

I see a parts list, but not build instructions.  Happen to have a recommended link for instructions and tips on the actual construction and usage?

Also, what size substrate blocks do you use, and how many of them fit comfortably?

Edited by Sivarted (05/31/19 02:23 AM)

Invisiblemindblowing
Stranger Danger

Re: SHROOMSISAY01 55 GALLON STEAMER TEK. [Re: Sivarted]
    #26024242 - 05/31/19 03:41 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Deadset man, you have no idea how much  you mean to me ans this forum. Your input is helping so many people

And i so dam gratefull you are willing to help! Im going to be building this 55gal and your misting system. You are amazing

Well done & thankyou.

--------------------

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: SHROOMSISAY01 55 GALLON STEAMER TEK. [Re: mindblowing]
    #26024480 - 05/31/19 08:34 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mindblowing said:
Deadset man, you have no idea how much  you mean to me ans this forum. Your input is helping so many people

And i so dam gratefull you are willing to help! Im going to be building this 55gal and your misting system. You are amazing

Well done & thankyou.

WOW, you don't know what those words mean to me thank you. PM me if you need help.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: SHROOMSISAY01 55 GALLON STEAMER TEK. [Re: Sivarted]
    #26024485 - 05/31/19 08:40 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Sivarted said:
I see a parts list, but not build instructions.  Happen to have a recommended link for instructions and tips on the actual construction and usage?

Also, what size substrate blocks do you use, and how many of them fit comfortably?

I meant to add instruction but I have not had the time to do it. I am getting ready to replace the drum on mine (hint. Don't bang on the bottom of the drum with a 3 lb sledge to get a bigger element in) so I will take pics and maybe make a video. PM me if you need help.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26024521 - 05/31/19 09:01 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mycopanda said:
Oh fucken kayyy!!! I need this dumbed down.. I want the 130 gallon barrel ssteam sterilizer.. I dont need it to be electric I can set it on cement blocks with a burner under but if you can make it electric thats fine and I can add water.. My question is can i not use one of my pressure cookers without the weight and have that steam fed into the barrel.. Or what would you suggest.. I need the details and will be hireing someone to build it.. I would prefer to not have to get an engineer so the simpler the better but hey whatever you can help me with here...

I will build it for you if you want to pay for shipping and a little for labor $500 is a lot to pay for building this and I would not ask that much.

But if you are willing to fill with water and baby sit it for a long long time. I would just get a 30 or 55-gallon drum and Pipe a 1-inch steel pipe to my 130-gallon steamer. I would put a sight glass on the barrel with the water so you know when it needs water without removing the lid.

The water barrel will probably need to be replaced quite often because of the direct flame on the drum.

I would not use a pressure cooker you will be filling it every hour or close to it. Then you have to do to much work a 30 or 55-gallon drum is a better bet.

Offlinemycopanda
[suck it]
 User Gallery

#26067626 - 06/22/19 01:03 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

I have the pics I just have to make an accoubt to put em on then post em.

--------------------

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26067946 - 06/22/19 05:16 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

HUH?

OfflineSoccrates
Stranger
    #26090956 - 07/05/19 03:22 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

So, stupid question i guess, but wouldn't this be the same concept as using a stock pot a la pf tek? Except bigger of course.

If so, then how can you cook spawn in this?

--------------------

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: SHROOMSISAY01 55 GALLON STEAMER TEK. [Re: Soccrates]
    #26091492 - 07/05/19 12:17 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

You can sterilize anything with longer run time. The higher temp of a PC just reduces time.

OfflineSoccrates
Stranger
    #26091617 - 07/05/19 01:28 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I had to look into this whole deal last night after I asked. I think it was 8 hours at pressure? But you're definitely doing more than 5 pc loads worth in it. Pretty sweet. I looked at a few different designs for these on here. I kinda get the idea, but I think I need to see a blueprint to really get the concept.

I mean, i get that there's a steam generator- big pot with a heater, that feeds into the barrel, which should be arranged in a manner that allows condensed water to drip back to the boiler.

You need a safety blow off valve on the sterilizer (which should never actually be activated), along with a pressure regulator( which ideally would only be minimally used). There should be a manometer attached to the barrel which would control the heating element via the pid controller, or would that be operated based on temperature since that would be directly correlated to the pressure? Ive only seen pids with temperature settings.

I feel like I'm missing something, and is definitely not a project I'd wanna forget something on

--------------------

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26091849 - 07/05/19 04:38 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

The way it is set up is the PID controls the temp. I have mine set to 210F. Although the water boils or gets very close to boiling in the bottom of the drum the bags absorb a lot of the heat by the time it reaches the top of the drum and not much steam is released from the top of the drum. The PID's thermocouple is placed at the top of the drum not at the bottom or in the water. One or two 1/4" holes are drilled in the lid of the drum for any steam to escape and no pressure is built up inside the drum. The 1st sterilizer I built had a relief valve on it. No need for it though.

OfflineSoccrates
Stranger
    #26092429 - 07/06/19 12:11 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

i thought it was supposed to operate with a couple psi? Maybe that was someone else's version. Why did you opt for no pressure? And this one has the boiler unit and sterilization chamber as one piece. Sorry, I read through several different builds trying to wrap my head around this concept. I like the externally generated steam idea better, since it allows the barrel to be placed sideways, for easier loading. Though it would make construction more difficult.

But it seems like I am pretty much getting the idea then?

--------------------

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26092723 - 07/06/19 07:23 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

A couple of PSI will make no difference. So why bother? Placing the drum on its side does not make loading easier. I guess it would help if you are like 2 foot tall and need to climb in the drum to pack the bags in. What it does do however is it makes the build harder and takes up more room. It also will cost more to build and causes you to lose space for filling the drum because you can not pack the bags in. The problems that you think are being solved are actually made harder by being placed on the side. But build the one you want.

OfflineSoccrates
Stranger
    #26092967 - 07/06/19 10:50 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

It seems to me it would be easier to reach to the back of the barrel sideways than to bend over and reach the bottom. I've never been able to do so easily. Idk I suppose i can't really argue seeing as how i don't have any actual practical knowledge here.

A lot of it is I'm going of RRs notes. A few people stated elsewhere that 220 is the magic number and it is much more prone to failure otherwise, hence low pressure to get to that. Also RR said he only required something like 6 or 8 quarts of water to run a cycle with his closed system build as opposed to you saying above that a 30 gallon drum would be needed.

I'm really just trying to get a good understanding of the whole concept right now since i just learnedthis is even an option

--------------------

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26093159 - 07/06/19 01:10 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

I don't know where I said 30 gallons is necessary. I think you read that wrong. I would like to read RR's notes because 8 quarts seems a little low to me although it might be possible. I use about 16 quarts of water give or take. 1 inch above the element and 1 inch below the element. If he is using an electric element I don't see how he is doing it without damaging the element. The reason an electric element is superior in my opinion is I do not have to babysit my steamer. I press a button and walk away and come back when it is cooled down. I then unload and spawn. I do not have to fill with water or babysit the steamer at all. 220F is about 2.5 PSI I run my steamer at 210F 10F difference is not going to make a big difference in run time. I run my steamer for 12 hours from the time I hit the button until the time it automatically shuts itself off. This time will vary according to the size heating element you decide to use. If you are looking to build a steamer. I don't mind helping you once you decide on how you want to build it.

OfflineSoccrates
Stranger
    #26093308 - 07/06/19 02:37 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SHROOMSISAY01 said:
Quote:

mycopanda said:

I will build it for you if you want to pay for shipping and a little for labor $500 is a lot to pay for building this and I would not ask that much.

But if you are willing to fill with water and baby sit it for a long long time. I would just get a 30 or 55-gallon drum and Pipe a 1-inch steel pipe to my 130-gallon steamer. I would put a sight glass on the barrel with the water so you know when it needs water without removing the lid.

The water barrel will probably need to be replaced quite often because of the direct flame on the drum.

I would not use a pressure cooker you will be filling it every hour or close to it. Then you have to do to much work a 30 or 55-gallon drum is a better bet.

Apparently i read it wrong. That was alsoin reference to a bigger unit.

I thought 8 quarts seemed pretty low too. But I tend to trust RR knows what he's talking about.

And your write up here basically just addresses the electrical components, so I went looking elsewhere to fill in the gaps. Granted, most of what I found was 10 years old or so.

I actually didn't even know some of these things you told me

So, let's see

You have the entire thing in 1. 55-gallon  drum

It operates at 210

Vents freely to the surrounding atmosphere with 2 1/4" holes

You seem to have it set up to maintain a set water level

Thermocouple at the top, substrate in the middle, water/heating coil/ fill setup at the bottom.

I'm assuming you have some kind of rack to keep the substrate out of the water. How high is that from the ground/water level

All of these are true? I think I'm getting a better idea here. How much substrate can you run at a time? RR said he could fit 100 lbs per run with the sideways unit

And it seems like you could alsopasteurize with this by adjusting the temp settings. And maybe moving the thermocouple.

--------------------

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26093547 - 07/06/19 06:05 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Soccrates said:

All of these are true? I think I'm getting a better idea here. How much substrate can you run at a time? RR said he could fit 100 lbs per run with the sideways unit

And it seems like you could also pasteurize with this by adjusting the temp settings. And maybe moving the thermocouple.

All is true. I am sure you get the idea now.

I am not sure how much sub I can fit in the drum. I only do 20 bags right now at a time. I could fit another 20 in there if I remember correctly. I will update this later if that is not correct I have to spawn today so I will be unpacking the steamer when I get done writing this. My bags weigh 6 1/4 lbs by my math I come up with 250 lbs but don't quote me on that. but even with just the 20 that I do now. I have 125 lbs. Either RR did not have his steamer to capacity or you did not read it right. He would only be able to fit 16 of the same size bags that I do in his steamer. But if I remember correctly he had racks in his steamer. Here would be a good place to mention that RR's style of build you will either need to have a welder of you will have to buy expensive bulkheads to connect the drums. I also do believe you lose some space in RR's. Simply because placing the bags in tight would be difficult.  Granted you lose some space in the one I built also because you have to have a float valve in the bottom of the drum. I have the rack that holds the sub about 6 to 8 inches off the bottom so the float can work easily and not get stuck. This space can be reduced by placing a smaller ball on the float. Or by using a water solenoid instead of a float. I just prefer the mechanical mechanism over the electronic one.

You could pasteurize by just adjusting the temp.

OfflineSoccrates
Stranger
    #26093883 - 07/06/19 10:31 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Sweet. Thanks for the help

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder