Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OnlineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
San Fransisco bans cashless stores
    #25981151 - 05/09/19 03:34 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/442542-san-francisco-to-ban-cashless-stores

Quote:

San Francisco became the second major U.S. city to ban cashless businesses in a Tuesday vote by the city Board of Supervisors, according to the San Francisco Examiner.

The  Board’s 11 members voted unanimously to approve the measure, according to the AP.

While the "future may be cashless," the practice is "excluding too many people," Supervisor Vallie Brown (D), who introduced the bill, said, according to the newspaper. “This legislation will go far in ensuring all San Franciscans have equitable access to the city’s economy,” she said.

“The purpose of this [law]is to ensure that all City residents — including those who lack access to other forms of payment are able to participate in the City’s economic life by paying cash for goods and many services," the bill states.

The bill would exempt temporary pop-up stores, rideshare companies and online businesses, as well as food trucks, which say they do not have the resources to accept cash. Several restaurants in San Francisco’s upscale neighborhoods such as South of Market and the Financial District do not currently accept cash, including coffee shop Bluestone Lane and chicken restaurant The Organic Coup.

The measure’s passage would make San Francisco the third city or state to ban the practice, following Philadelphia and New Jersey, with New York introducing similar legislation. Critics argue the practice discriminates against lower-income customers who may not be able to obtain credit or debit cards. Seventeen percent of African-American households and 15 percent of Latino households do not have a bank account, according to the Examiner, citing Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation data.

What do you guys think?

I think this is *great*. Cashless society would suck, with all the tracking of every transaction making buying drugs harder, plus it screws over poor, elderly, and minority people.

Of course, on the other hand, there's a lot of potential data to harvest about people, which is worth a lot of money. Then again, I already willingly hand over part of that by using a credit card. Heck, google pays me for me giving up personal data. Not much, of course.

Well, now we need the rest of the country to catch up.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Turtle Island
Re: San Fransisco bans cashless stores [Re: Kryptos] * 2
    #25981543 - 05/09/19 09:32 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

As a professional busker, cash economy for life baby!!! I don't want to have to start carrying around a card machine too

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
Re: San Fransisco bans cashless stores [Re: Kryptos]
    #25982058 - 05/09/19 01:59 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Kryptos said:
What do you guys think?

I think it should be up to the business.  If they're willing to lose business from people who want to pay cash, that's their call.

Personally, I haven't carried cash in maybe the last 2 or 3 years, except when people give me cash as a gift.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Offlinechristopera
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: San Fransisco bans cashless stores [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #25982067 - 05/09/19 02:03 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

I don't ever use cash either, but I can see why businesses might want to at least be able to make cash sales. My machine shop doesn't have a physical store front, I've accepted everything from money orders, wires, PayPal, Amazon Pay, trades, labor exchange, but in something like 5 years I've never had a cash sale. Granted all my sales are generated via my website, so that changes everything. I've only ever had two customers walk into my shop (oddly enough one was this morning), it's all mail order these days.

--------------------
Enjoy the process of your search without succumbing to the pressure of the result.

A Dorito is pizza, change my mind.

Bank and Union with The Shroomery at the Zuul on The internet - now with %'s and things

I’m sorry it had to be me.

Edited by christopera (05/09/19 02:05 PM)

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: San Fransisco bans cashless stores [Re: Kryptos] * 1
    #25982156 - 05/09/19 02:46 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

In fifteen years, there probably won't be cash anymore. Maybe we'll pay with our thumbprint or something. I hope the grid doesn't go down. Are we becoming too dependent on technology at this point? Without cash, there won't be a lot to fall back on.

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

OfflineDelonAlan
Stranger
Re: San Fransisco bans cashless stores [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #25983704 - 05/10/19 10:36 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

How wonderful that we live in this era. So much for everything new and interesting for us. Who would have thought that a hundred years ago there will be a site like address avatrade that will help people in e-commerce and come up with money that cannot be touched.

InvisibleMagicMush123
moon person
 User Gallery

Loc: Chinada Flag
Re: San Fransisco bans cashless stores [Re: Kryptos] * 1
    #25983742 - 05/10/19 10:51 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Kryptos said:
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/442542-san-francisco-to-ban-cashless-stores

Quote:

San Francisco became the second major U.S. city to ban cashless businesses in a Tuesday vote by the city Board of Supervisors, according to the San Francisco Examiner.

The  Board’s 11 members voted unanimously to approve the measure, according to the AP.

While the "future may be cashless," the practice is "excluding too many people," Supervisor Vallie Brown (D), who introduced the bill, said, according to the newspaper. “This legislation will go far in ensuring all San Franciscans have equitable access to the city’s economy,” she said.

“The purpose of this [law]is to ensure that all City residents — including those who lack access to other forms of payment are able to participate in the City’s economic life by paying cash for goods and many services," the bill states.

The bill would exempt temporary pop-up stores, rideshare companies and online businesses, as well as food trucks, which say they do not have the resources to accept cash. Several restaurants in San Francisco’s upscale neighborhoods such as South of Market and the Financial District do not currently accept cash, including coffee shop Bluestone Lane and chicken restaurant The Organic Coup.

The measure’s passage would make San Francisco the third city or state to ban the practice, following Philadelphia and New Jersey, with New York introducing similar legislation. Critics argue the practice discriminates against lower-income customers who may not be able to obtain credit or debit cards. Seventeen percent of African-American households and 15 percent of Latino households do not have a bank account, according to the Examiner, citing Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation data.

What do you guys think?

I think this is *great*. Cashless society would suck, with all the tracking of every transaction making buying drugs harder, plus it screws over poor, elderly, and minority people.

Of course, on the other hand, there's a lot of potential data to harvest about people, which is worth a lot of money. Then again, I already willingly hand over part of that by using a credit card. Heck, google pays me for me giving up personal data. Not much, of course.

Well, now we need the rest of the country to catch up.

I actually basically strictly pay by cash, unless i happen to have none on me or my purchase is quite large. I like the anonymity of cash and actually find it more convenient than paying through card. I also dont like the idea of every purchase i make being on record. But to me keeping cash in our society is very important. I feel cash allows for more freedom and less government control. I feel in the long run, citizens would have more power when the government cant electronically monitor everything we do. It would be too hard to avoid paying tax, to work under the table or to move any money around without the government knowing.
If you hate the government and prefer privacy you would go card less too, because after all, the more people who opt to use cards is more reason to abandon cash in stores or society, and thats something that we definitely dont want happening

OfflineHerbologist
Grrratata
I'm a teapot

Loc: Casa Bonita Flag
Re: San Fransisco bans cashless stores [Re: MagicMush123]
    #25983797 - 05/10/19 11:22 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Drug dealers need to spend their money too!

:bucktoothfattygangsta:

--------------------
Shroomery Law:  Don't piss off the leftist mods & their friends! :banhamster:

InvisibleballsalsaMDiscord
Universally Loathed and Reviled
Male User Gallery

Loc: Foreign Lands
    #25984787 - 05/10/19 07:39 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

I prefer cash.  I actually had no credit history at all through most of my twenties.  Never applied for any.
Don't let anyone tell you that pennies are a bad idea either.  If anything, we need smaller sub units for electronic transactions.  Take it out to 10 decimal places, i say

--------------------

Like cannabis topics? Read my cannabis blog here

InvisibleTulipslave
Homo sapiens sapiens, lol

#25988772 - 05/12/19 08:52 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Give me cash or give me death!

(assuming the "cash" is worth something other than toilet paper)

OnlineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: San Fransisco bans cashless stores [Re: ballsalsa]
    #25991231 - 05/14/19 12:07 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ballsalsa said:
I prefer cash.  I actually had no credit history at all through most of my twenties.  Never applied for any.
Don't let anyone tell you that pennies are a bad idea either.  If anything, we need smaller sub units for electronic transactions.  Take it out to 10 decimal places, i say

You'll need a wheelbarrow at that point.

InvisibleballsalsaMDiscord
Universally Loathed and Reviled
Male User Gallery

Loc: Foreign Lands
    #25991682 - 05/14/19 07:26 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

pennies are good enough for cash transactions, but if no money physically changes hands, there's no good reason to short me on my change even if it's .0000000001 cent.

--------------------

Like cannabis topics? Read my cannabis blog here

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: San Fransisco bans cashless stores [Re: ballsalsa]
    #25993192 - 05/14/19 08:32 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

What would homeless do without cash?  Spange for plastic?

It's all about social control.  Hard to track cash spending.  Damn easy to track plastic.

--------------------
"in sterquiliniis invenitur in stercore invenitur"

In filth it will be found in dung it will be found

OnlineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: San Fransisco bans cashless stores [Re: Morel Guy] * 1
    #25996154 - 05/16/19 01:44 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

They also just banned police using facial recognition software.

Nice.

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #25996825 - 05/16/19 08:30 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

good start. now if only they could do something about the cost of rent, homelessness, and street feces.

--------------------
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: San Fransisco bans cashless stores [Re: JHOVA] * 2
    #25997108 - 05/16/19 11:56 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

JHOVA said:
good start. now if only they could do something about the cost of rent, homelessness, and street feces.

The rent is so high because everyone want to live in California.

The cost of homelessness is so high because California wants to help them.

Street feces exists in every big city.  It was made famous in San Francisco because they're doing something about it.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

Re: San Fransisco bans cashless stores [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03] * 1
    #25997958 - 05/17/19 01:04 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Public defecation is normal in india where they have a lack of toilets and plumbing.I dont see any of that shit in LA, sgv, the westside or the oc. What part of CA are you in that you see human shit?

The state is completely incompetent on homelessness just like seattle and portland.

--------------------

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: San Fransisco bans cashless stores [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03] * 1
    #25997987 - 05/17/19 01:23 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Quote:

Kryptos said:
What do you guys think?

I think it should be up to the business.  If they're willing to lose business from people who want to pay cash, that's their call.

A lot of people in San Francisco can't use cards or fancy apps.  It's less about whether businesses should be able to do what they want and more about whether or not people are going to start bashing each others' skulls in over scraps of a pop-tart because they're trapped on the peninsula and can't eat anything that they didn't pull out of the garbage.  Hurting libertarian feelings definitely beats the crap out of reinforcing the cycle of poverty and homelessness that a lot of people around here are in (for the sake of protecting libertarian feels).

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum

Re: San Fransisco bans cashless stores [Re: JHOVA] * 1
    #25997993 - 05/17/19 01:26 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

JHOVA said:
Public defecation is normal in india where they have a lack of toilets and plumbing.I dont see any of that shit in LA, sgv, the westside or the oc. What part of CA are you in that you see human shit?

The state is completely incompetent on homelessness just like seattle and portland.

What the fuck do you want the state to do?  Tie them up in a big sack full of rocks and push them into the ocean?  Most of those people wouldn't be here if other cities would stop trying to solve their homeless and mental health crises by giving people bus tickets to the Bay Area.

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

Re: San Fransisco bans cashless stores [Re: chibiabos] * 1
    #25997996 - 05/17/19 01:28 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Woah there uncle adolf. We closed all our looney bins, made laws that allow people to camp overnight. Those two things have been catastophic to the homeless explosion. Public drug use and defecation should be outlawed and enforced.

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: San Fransisco bans cashless stores [Re: JHOVA]
    #25998088 - 05/17/19 02:19 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

JHOVA said:

I've never seen it in California.  I read a story about how San Francisco planned to clean its shit up, and you probably read the same story, and so you thought it's the only place in the country where homeless people have ever shit on the street.

--------------------

InvisibleJHOVA
Post whore
Male User Gallery

Re: San Fransisco bans cashless stores [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #25998140 - 05/17/19 02:52 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Not talking about anything other than the golden state here bud and i mentioned my specific regional experience. You are correct about one thing large democrat strongholds like seattle, portland, and sf are probably the worst places to live in the us. High crime, public defection and public drug use.

i follow these twitter accounts for on the ground info. Its a shit show. Guys deal heroin get arrested and are back on the street in hours doing the same shit.
https://mobile.twitter.com/CleanUpWestSoma
https://mobile.twitter.com/bettersoma

https://twitter.com/hknightsf/status/1129155331689332736?s=20
Quote:

San Francisco's homeless count swells by 17% in two years. Tops 8,000 for the first time in 15 years. "I can make no excuses. These numbers are bad and we have to own that." --
@JeffKositsky

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/philmatier/amp/In-SF-s-Tenderloin-there-s-a-revolving-door-13836919.php#click=https://t.co/9nJf0GP5h0
Quote:

Often as not, the suspected dealers are released by a judge pending the outcome of their cases. And just as often, the dealers head back to the Tenderloin and start selling drugs again.
According to the analyst’s report, of the 173 convictions, 139 (80.3%) resulted in probation with some time served in county jail, and 32 (18.5%) resulted in longer sentencing to county jail.

--------------------

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Re: San Fransisco bans cashless stores [Re: JHOVA]
    #25998158 - 05/17/19 03:02 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

As if a restaurant where a plate is $40 isn't already inaccessible to poor people.

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Turtle Island
Re: San Fransisco bans cashless stores [Re: bodhisatta] * 1
    #25998215 - 05/17/19 03:47 PM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Sometimes I make over 100$/hr busking. That's cold hard cash and I deserve to be able to spend it

Now here's 240 quarters, I would like two plates for the lady and I. Here something extra for you *slips roll of 200 dimes in your pocket*

--------------------

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum

Re: San Fransisco bans cashless stores [Re: shivas.wisdom] * 1
    #25999086 - 05/18/19 03:55 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Please don't do that to restaurant staff.  If you have two hundred dimes then just turn it into a twenty dollar bill...

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale