Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Poison Drink] * 2
    #25836040 - 02/25/19 04:57 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

My kanna didn't stop flowering all winter and now the sun is out it's pushing even more flowers.
Still no sign of any seeds though :frown:

--------------------
Trade List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJohnny Dont
500 Don'ts of Knife Safety

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: MeanGreen]
    #25838358 - 02/26/19 06:31 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Are they self fertile? Do you have another one?

--------------------
I have left life and loves behind me, to be blown about as the sea desires, to have the freedom of the open air, and to be witness to the making of the world.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Loc: W-Europe
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Johnny Dont]
    #25838565 - 02/26/19 08:34 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

What a beautiful plant, MG! Did you try and pollinate those flowers by hand again? S. tortuosum might not be able to self-pollinate after all?

My outdoor succulents were covered in snow a while ago, and didn't seem to have survived the cold. Even the D. bosseranum 'ice plants' look dead, but new shoots might emerge out of the tuber. They were growing in small pots though, so probably the roots have been frozen.

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Poison Drink] * 1
    #25838775 - 02/26/19 10:22 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I do give them a wiggle with a paintbrush every once in a while, going as deep as I can. I'm really starting to think it's just not self-fertile.

About the cold, I left a small cutting outside all winter, just covered from the rain & snow and it seems like it survived:

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineCaster
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: MeanGreen]
    #25842754 - 02/28/19 05:39 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Thats disappointing about probably not being self fertile...

Has anyone had any experience with trying this?/can share?

:smile:

InvisibleGrey Fox

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Caster]
    #25847347 - 03/02/19 09:30 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I found a tray of delosperma seedlings for a very reasonable price so I'm going to have another try at growing these.  I've had no luck so far.  I've planted kanna, aptenia, and various delospermas before.  But by day my chickens peck them to shreds and by night all the rabbits in the neighborhood come out and munch on whats left.  Critters seems to prefer these kinds of plants over almost anything else.  So I think realistically that these will have to be fenced off with chicken wire to stand a chance.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Grey Fox]
    #25847818 - 03/02/19 01:15 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Are they labeled only as 'ice plant', or do you know what species it is? Nice tray nonetheless. Maybe you could grow a few indoors for seed production?

InvisibleGrey Fox

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Poison Drink]
    #25847893 - 03/02/19 02:02 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

The label says Delosperma nubigenum.  Its a 12" x 24" tray packed with seedlings, so there are a lot of plants to work with.  I'll probably plant most of them together in one protected grouping and then scatter a few more here and there without protection just to see.

Are the delospermas definitely active?  Should they be fermented and used in a way similar to kanna?  I've seen some mature specimens before and they are lovely plants when in bloom so even if they are just useful as ornamentals thats fine by me.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25848316 - 03/02/19 05:47 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

'Trout's Notes on Some Other Succulents' mentions Delosperma nubigenum:

"From the South-East Cape Province in the Orange Free State, in the cleft of rocks on the top of “Mont aux Sources” at 3200 m. This low decumbent sub-shrub has ascendant, roundish and papillose stems. The leaves are “standing off or erect standing off” and are elongate or elongate-elliptical, acute and narrowed towards the ends or else the leaves are linear and papillose. They bear orange red flowers at the end of the stems. They are two cm in diameter and have short stalks. Our  plants  used  for  assay  were  purchased  at  a  local hardware  store.  They  conformed  to  both  published descriptions  and  photographs."

and

"A weak 5-MeO-DMT band was seen in May 1995 testing."

InvisibleGrey Fox

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Poison Drink]
    #25848688 - 03/02/19 09:21 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

I also read through this thread and saw that MeanGreen found delosperma snuff to be quite similar to kanna in effects.  That was good to hear.

I ended up planting the whole clump in one spot and fencing it off with chicken wire.  The roots were all tangled together and the plants were pretty delicate still so they were breaking when I tried to separate them.  Hopefully they grow out ok like that.  If not I may try to separate them later on when the plants are sturdier.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25849968 - 03/03/19 03:27 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Grey Fox said:
I ended up planting the whole clump in one spot and fencing it off with chicken wire.  The roots were all tangled together and the plants were pretty delicate still so they were breaking when I tried to separate them.  Hopefully they grow out ok like that.  If not I may try to separate them later on when the plants are sturdier.

Well seeing they produce an abundance of tiny seeds, I'd say they would grow rather dense in their natural habitat too. Keep us posted about their progress!

These are my surviving S. tortuosum and D. bosseranum plants, kept indoors under artificial light.

OfflineChocolateMilk
Mouth Breather
Male User Gallery

Loc: In yah fridge Flag
    #25849997 - 03/03/19 03:51 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Ive had some delosoperma bosseranum seeds germing for about a week and a half, got one that germed yesterday! Will post pics when larger:)

--------------------
Trade List
Panaeolus projects n pics timeline

Be the party yah wanna go to!

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25850882 - 03/03/19 10:22 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Grey Fox said:
Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

I also read through this thread and saw that MeanGreen found delosperma snuff to be quite similar to kanna in effects.  That was good to hear.

Please note I only tried Delosperma bosseranum snuff, I probably wouldn't ingest random species unless there are well documented analysis (and even then, the alkaloid profile in Delosperma is know to vary a lot depending on time of the year or even of the day). D. cooperii is one I may try in the future.

Check-out Trout's guide on the genus, "Some other succulents", he even warns against bioassays of unexplored species.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisibleGrey Fox

#25851016 - 03/03/19 11:55 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for that advice. I cant find any info online of Delosperma nubigenum being bioassayed.  I will probably give it a try at some point if these plants do well.  I'll start very low dose for sure.  I should really try to track down some kanna again now that there is a fenced off area for it.  At least with kanna its safety is known. But maybe nubigenum will have something good to offer too. You never know.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Grey Fox] * 2
    #25977199 - 05/07/19 06:14 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Happy to be able to confirm that Sceletium is self-fertile, I finally have some pods emerging!
Could never find a picture of Sceletium seed pods anywhere before, so I didn't really know what to expect. I'll post more pics as they mature, but in the meantime here are some pics of an unripe seed pod:

And here's what to look for to know if your pollination attempts were successful, once the flower has dried up the base will swell quite a bit until the pod emerges.

It's not an easy plant to pollinate, you really have to get in there. Could only spot about 5 possible pods on the hundred or so flowers I had over the winter (I probably didn't pollinate all of them though).

--------------------
Trade List

InvisibleGrey Fox

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: MeanGreen] * 1
    #25977486 - 05/07/19 09:52 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Thats great news MeanGreen!  Hopefully all the seed is viable.  You have a green thumb with these plants.

Delosperma nubigenum is the only ice plant/kanna type plant that I can keep alive out of the 5 species I've tried to grow.  Kanna, Aptenia, and other Delospermas all get destroyed by animals, even when I try to protect them.  But the nubigenum is surviving somehow, and actually growing pretty well.

I have some fermenting for a few days now in a ziplock bag in full sunlight.  After a few more days I'll dry it out and see if the nubigenum has any activity.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Grey Fox] * 1
    #25977842 - 05/07/19 01:11 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Nice man, would be interested to hear about your experience with nubigenum. Start small is all I can say, if it doesn't work try more the next day.

I've started whipping up a batch too, mostly kanna with a bit of delosperma bosseranum mixed in. Probably my biggest batch to date, and the first one to include flowers and that much stem ratio. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to taste it before some months as I have taken up an SSRI script recently...

The plant matter, cut into small pieces:

And after some mashing:

And put it in full sun on hot concrete, today was day 1.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisibleGrey Fox

#25978037 - 05/07/19 02:42 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Nice!  How many days do you let it ferment for?  Do you discard the liquid? 

Here is my D. nubigenum on day 3:

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25978070 - 05/07/19 03:03 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Lovely! Don't discard anything. I usually do about 5 to 7 days of fermentation, mine tends to be pretty much dry by then but the containers I use aren't completely airtight. If there's still some liquid after a week just spread everything on a plate and let it dry in the sun or in the oven with the door ajar.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisibleGrey Fox

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: MeanGreen] * 1
    #25978081 - 05/07/19 03:11 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Ok I'll do that.  Thanks for the advice.  I'll give an update when its all finished.  Please update us on how yours turns out.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck