Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Hot Plate, Hygrometer, Lava Lamp, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMrPsychonaught
The Explorer
 User Gallery

Loc: in the clouds
First grow, long time lurker...
    #25973029 - 05/05/19 01:02 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

First off, I just want to thank this wonderful community for all it has to offer! I've been searching this website for a very long time, but it has finally come time to make a post as I'm attempting my first pf-tek grow.
And I must say one thing this hobby is already teaching me is patience...

This will be in part a grow log, but also in search of advice.

3/29
Today I followed the 2:1:1 ratio of Verm/BRF/Water mixing the verm and water first before adding the brf to avoid clumping,  and added the mixture which was right at field capacity to 12 tall half pint jars, leaving 1/2" empty on top for the dry verm, wiping down each jar trying to follow "lets grow mushrooms" series carefully. Since I do not have a pressure cooker, I steamed the jars 6 at a time in a large pot with the jars barely out of the water for 120 minutes.  Let jars cool for a little over 2 hours or until cool to the touch and carefully inoculated each jar, flame sterilizing between jars using a SAB to much success. 6 jars were inoculated with Burma, 6 jars Chitwan.

4/3
All jars showing mycelium growth except for one stubborn jar

4/7
All jars showing growth, right where I wrote "no growth" on the stubborn jar, there was a patch of healthy mycelium popping up right under the word "no", as if it were in spite of me doubting its ability to grow.

I won't go into much detail of the mycelium growth except at first it was more of a fluffy growth, then turning into a more aggressive rhizomorphic? growth covering all jars except for one by day 19. jars were kept on a shelf in my closet at around 70-72f exposed to light at around 80% colonization which I heard can speed up consolidation period ahead.

4/17
jars are marked with date of 100% colonization, and another week of waiting commences

4/25
All cakes have undergone 7 days of consolidation and have noticeably shrunk, and pulled away from the glass of the jar, and verm has started to fall down the sides of some jars, but no pins have appeared on any of the jars, but to ones advice who has some experience I go ahead and dunk all cakes, all come out fairly easily with a few firm taps, and are rinsed and submerged in room temp tap water for 24 hours.

4/26
It's time to build my SGFC, following the tek to a T, drill 1/4" holes every 2" on all 6 sides of the 58qt tub, just now realize my tub doesn't have a clear lid :rolleyes: but figure this won't be too much of a problem if I can get lighting angled just right. A member of a group on facebook suggests I use 6" of wet perlite instead of 3-4" for a larger tub, so I go in the middleground and use 5" of drained perlite. All cakes are rinsed off and rolled in fine verm which seems to stick easily which I've read some people having problems with? Cakes are placed onto lid inserts on top of the perlite. Tub is placed onto large jars about 6" off the floor.
My grow area is confined to a large closet in my bedroom, which I realize is not best, but with a child, pets, and neighbors who often stop by, I decide this is my only option. I remove just about everything from the closet and Lysol the closet down, and place the tub into the closet. The tub has atleast 8" of clearance on all sides and 6" off the floor. Two 40w CFL lights at 5000k on the spectrum are used (as for some reason I cannot find a single 6500k bulb at Walmart after standing there for 20 mins reading the backs of about 50 different bulbs I go with the 5000k CFL's)

4/27
I read on another post that refraining from misting for 48 hours will help the verm to not fall off which seems if misting too soon, but at 24 hours I cant wait any longer and decide a light misting won't hurt. a fine mist is applied from a foot or so above indirectly onto the cakes, and I do notice some verm fall off, but not much. :sad: :confused: I look at my temperature gauge and notice the temperate inside the SGFC is 62f :shocked: I'm baffled at why this could be?? My house stays at 70-72f, why is it so cold in my SGFC? I place a small heating pad on its lowest setting on the floor under the SGFC which I realize is not the best option placing a heating pad on carpet so I just raise the heat in the house to around 74f which is about as hot as I can bare to sleep and decide to figure out a solution tomorrow.

4/28
I wake up and look over and see an old lava lamp I haven't used in a long time, take off the top glass part containing the "lava" and am left with a heat light cone contraption and place it a foot away from the SGFC, I put the thermometer on that side of the SGFC and monitor it carefully, thankfully the temp finally comes to a rest at 75f, and 73f on the other side of the SGFC which I'm very relieved to find. Mist and fan 4x throughout the day, fanning is done with several waves with the top of the lid.

4/29
Continue misting and fanning, no noticeable changes on any of the cakes. 6 more freshly dunked and rolled 1/4 pint cakes are also placed into the SGFC, 3 Burma, 3 Chitwan. (Decided to not let the extra space go to waste nor the left over spore syringes)

4/30
Some noticeable mycelium is starting to colonize the bottoms of some of the cakes, but not much else to report. mist/fan 3x

5/1
A little more mycelium colonization, but not much else. I decide to take my lava heat lamp contraption away since I realized with a full SGFC at 17 cakes is maintaining 70f without the light.

5/2
Very tiny little hyphal knots are forming on 3 cakes, well atleast I believe they are hyphal knots.

5/3
A few more cakes show signs of what I believe to be hyphal knotting, mist fan etc.

5/4
Well, I've been expecting some pinning by now? the hyphal knots have not increased in size, but have increased in numbers. So here we are now,
Most pf-tek grow logs I see have pinning on days 3-4, and now here I am on day 8 with no pinning whatsoever, is something wrong here? Any tips? I'm just feeling like a new parent where I want to question everything I'm doing to make sure I'm doing everything right. Temps on day one were 60-62f, then brought up to 73-75f with the lava light, but are now sitting at 70-72f without the light. Another thing, I have a crappy reptile gauge which I've read on here that they don't read anything above 80% humidity, went and bought another one (cheap piece of crap not sure why I even bought it) which is also reading around 80%, its just a coil on the back which I can see causing problems reading high RH not being able to "uncoil" enough. They don't have any nice digital thermometer/hygrometers at the Walmart near me, so I'll have to go to a home depot I just haven't made the trip because I live in the middle of nowhere.
I am 99% sure my humidity is holding 95-99% and that I just have crappy gauges so I don't think humidity is the problem. The main issue I can think of is the SGFC being in the closet causing a lack of fae, I "Fan" the closet door every hour or so to replace the air in the closet, and leave the closet door open 24/7. My bedroom is VERY drafty with a fan running at night and ceiling fan during the day and the window open since the weather is nice now.
I mist and fan 3-5x a day and temps stay 70-72f in the chamber.
Is there any advice you guys can give me? Or am I just worrying too much and just need to relax. It just seems like I should be seeing some pinning by now? I'll just feel so much better once I get one flush under my belt.
Thanks for your time in reading this, Any replies will be greatly appreciated, glad to finally be a part of the community! :smile:

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Temple of Time
Re: First grow, long time lurker... [Re: MrPsychonaught]
    #25973101 - 05/05/19 03:03 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

you can lose the thermometer and the hydrometer. Your chamber looks good, just mist em when they are dry and mushrooms will come. you don't need a fan on your chamber either. Fanning the chamber is also moot to do, its full of hole and passively lets air in and out. Just let the chamber do its thing, and you will be good to go.

theres a link to my tek in my sig if you wanna give that a read and you'll know your on the right track :super:

--------------------
Song Of Healing
:super: Updated Pf Tek Guide :super:
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread
The Chinese word for nature is zìrán and it means that of which is of itself.

Offlinethisbliss
Stranger

Re: First grow, long time lurker... [Re: MrPsychonaught] * 1
    #25973106 - 05/05/19 03:10 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Relax I've waited nearly 3 weeks for pins using a sgfc. Kudos on ur work looks textbook. There may be some issue with that sghc in the closet and using a heat source near it tho I don't know enough about them. Personally I don't rate them.
Look up humidity chamber Tek by mateah. It might be more suitable for a closet grow and you can use a heat source with it if you need. Good luck

OfflineMrPsychonaught
The Explorer
 User Gallery

Re: First grow, long time lurker... [Re: thisbliss]
    #25973149 - 05/05/19 04:25 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Thanks Ziran! Your updated pf tek is the one I actually followed! I feel graced to have you even comment on my post, not sarcastically lol. I guess I picked up the fanning from reading other teks? I'll have to go read up on your tek again to see how you do it, but I have to thank you as your tek, and the "lets grow mushrooms" series are what I solely based my grow on. And I don't use an actual fan, just a few waves of the lid to move the C02 out of the SGFC but this does seem moot when I think about the chamber having so many holes to passively do so. and ThisBliss I actually removed the heating pad since the picture was taken, as well as the heat light I had on it, as once I filled the chamber up with cakes the temp has stayed at a steady 70-72f on its own, I'm still unsure on how temps got so low in this first place though. This definitely is a hobby for the patient and I think its one of the biggest lessons I'm learning so far from it, good things do indeed take time. I'll go take a look at mateah's humidity chamber, aswell as brush up on your updated pf tek ziran. also the other night I had seen your signature and it seriously made me think for a good while, thanks for the help guys, much respect!

OfflineMrPsychonaught
The Explorer
 User Gallery

#25973157 - 05/05/19 04:37 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Brushed up on your updated pf tek again and realize you don't even have fanning in your tek, don't know where I picked that up from :confused: but just want to thank you for putting the time into making such a detailed, and in depth tek, making it so simple even complete novices like me can understand the process quite easily. I assume you do mostly bulk grows now, but how would you rate bottom watering cakes vs plain misting alone? I've been thinking about bottom watering half of them and leaving the other half as is, but don't want to get too fancy my first go around :grin:

Offlinethisbliss
Stranger

#25973200 - 05/05/19 06:11 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Go for it dude. As you say it's a hobby for the patient but also the experimental. I'm always using half my cakes as a control and the other half tweaking some variable. It's not completely scientific as I'm not working with isolates or clones but gives a decent indicator.

OfflineCosmicCaravan
Space Explorer
Male User Gallery

Loc: United Kingdom Flag
    #25973645 - 05/05/19 12:23 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

I am a new grower too and i know the urge to question if everything you are doing is good. What i have learned here that unless it is something extreme, you should chill and let the mushies be. I am sending you good vibes :mushroom2: Psychonaught, and i will be following this thread and definitely picking you practice of noting the date of total colonization of jars.

--------------------
Journal of my first grow

OfflineMrPsychonaught
The Explorer
 User Gallery

Re: First grow, long time lurker... [Re: Ziran]
    #25974547 - 05/05/19 10:34 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Shit!!! I just discovered mold growing looking in the small holes in the perlite! Fucking miracle grow, knew I had a bad feeling, even saw small sticks an debris when I was hydrating the perlite but figured it would be ok. obviously not, not visible from the top, but most holes I see have a fuzz. I almost feel like crying not be overdramatic but ive just put so much work into this project. looks like cobweb but not 100%. getting cakes out now and putting into an empty tub for now. what is my best method of action. will putting it in the oven at 350f for an hour and then rinsing with 10% bleach water kill the mold? im freaking atm and don't want to lose this whole grow to stupid miracle grow perlite mold.

OfflineMrPsychonaught
The Explorer
 User Gallery

#25974597 - 05/05/19 11:04 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

perlite is in oven at 350, SGFC is being super cleaned with boiling water, then bleach water, closet area being lysoled and all surfaces being wiped down with bleach. bottom of cakes look slightly webby, don't know what to do, will a dunk in diluted hydrogen peroxide kill any spores that drafted up to them? any help please, don't want to trash this grow =( running to store asap to get hydrogen peroxide as ive seen it as the only anti microbial safe to use on mycelium. please help!

InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Temple of Time
    #25974768 - 05/06/19 01:14 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

how did you hydrate your perlite?

--------------------
Song Of Healing
:super: Updated Pf Tek Guide :super:
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread
The Chinese word for nature is zìrán and it means that of which is of itself.

Offlinethisbliss
Stranger

#25974866 - 05/06/19 03:47 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Strange.ive never seen perlite moulding and to do it so soon. It's a pretty inert substance. Must've been something on it.
I'd say a good flush with boiling water will have sorted it out. I wouldn't worry about the cakes remember the FC isn't supposed to be a sterile environment. If you really have to, give them a dunk with a light peroxide solution.

OfflineMrPsychonaught
The Explorer
 User Gallery

#25974905 - 05/06/19 04:41 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

The perlite I used was the miracle grow junk, only thing they carry at Walmart/home depot near me. I could see clumps of soil and sticks and such. I had a bad gut feeling about it, I hydrated it in the shower btw, but am 99% sure it was caused by the impure perlite, as I hear pure perlite is quite contam resistant. for the time being, I baked the crap out of it at 350f for 90 mins then 500f for 15 mins, then in the shower bleached it, rinsed with hot water well, then drenched in hydrogen peroxide, then rinsed very well again. as for the cakes I misted in 70%water/30% 3% hydrogen peroxide before adding them back to the SGFC. I'll have to make a trip to lowes to see if the have pure perlite with no additives. im pretty sure that's what attributed to slow growth of the cakes is because they were having to fight off contams the whole time. but for now the perlite should be sterilized for the night. but as said will be getting pure perlite ASAP. f**k miracle grow...
wish me luck guys! cakes seem okay, they sure are resilient for being contam free for being in a tub full of mold for atleast several days im guessing.

OfflineMrPsychonaught
The Explorer
 User Gallery

#25974918 - 05/06/19 04:55 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Here are the bottoms of the cakes, look okay to my eye except for one im not sure of...

its this last one that looks a bit webby, camera doesn't pick it up well

Time will tell, but still getting new perlite to be safe.

Offlinethisbliss
Stranger

#25975665 - 05/06/19 02:06 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Lol I used to curse miracle gro too when I was growing shrub! The amount of burnt leaves from using their soil.

Cakes look good. As long as they have a nice earthy mushroomy smell they're good.
When you're getting perlite make sure it's the really thick grade stuff. That's what messed my sgfc's up.

OfflineRJ Tubs 202
Male

Loc: USA Flag
    #25975697 - 05/06/19 02:34 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Quote:

MrPsychonaught said:

Shit!!! I just discovered mold growing looking in the small holes in the perlite!

You can see mold growing inside the perlite but not on the outside surface? That's interesting. I've used many brands of perlite for various applications over the years, some of it not so clean, and have never seen mold grow on it. I always use perlite straight out of the bag. As thisbliss mentioned, a FC is not a sterile environment, so if any of your cakes do succumb to contamination, consider there could be other contributing factors. Looking back, I notice I blamed many things for contamination and grow problems that were actually not problems. Be ginger about reaching hard and fast conclusions. I could write a book detailing many of my assumptions that were totally wrong! It's part of the fun of growing.

Offlinethecynicalstoic
Cheap Beginner
Male

Loc: CO, US
Re: First grow, long time lurker... [Re: RJ Tubs 202]
    #25976089 - 05/06/19 05:53 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Those cakes look nice! I messed up mixing my BRF and verm, and wound up with a few cakes that looked like the stubby hotdog in Sausage Party. Yours are way prettier than mine! :smile:

OfflineMrPsychonaught
The Explorer
 User Gallery

Re: First grow, long time lurker... [Re: thecynicalstoic]
    #25976507 - 05/06/19 10:08 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Well, an update, at the bottom of the tub was a yellowish color similar to piss not to be graphic, the perlite was baked at 350f for 90 mins then 500f for 15 mins. then sprayed with bleach water, rinsed, drenched with hydrogen peroxide, and then rinsed VERY thoroughly with hot water. tub was bleached, rinsed and bleached rinsed again, getting rid of the yellowish color, and hopefully all mold spores. but I would consider 9 days in the fruiting chamber enough time for mold to grow on the perlite, if something was already in the miracle grow crap perlite. I didn't take any pics or else I would post them but wanted to get cakes out asap and get to cleaning right away. after intense cleaning of the grow area aswell cakes were placed back into SGFC, the cakes were misted with 70/30 (water/3% h202, respectively)

Today the lovely faint mushroomy smell has returned, which seemed to fade away the days before I noticed the mold in the perlite. it had a VERY faint smell of sweat to it and I cant stress faint enough, I actually thought it was myself that I was smelling after a day of work and blew it off as nothing since no contams were spotted. But now the tub is back to smelling "fresh" again, wish I had some non miracle grow perlite available in stores near me, but I don't. Ive ordered some perlite online but wont be here for another week.
wish me luck guys, thanks for all the replies and sorry for getting back so late, as I didn't get finished cleaning until about 3 in the morning (I fought that damn perlite contam with all my heart) and had work today etc. glad to atleast have a fresh smelling SGFC again, and I hope I can atlesat get one flush out of them. But will NEVER be working with ANY miracle grow products again, mycology or botany purposes.

p.s. do you guys directly mist cakes from above, or only spray the sides of the SGFC? still trying to figure out why i'm not getting a single pin at day 10, but I attribute this to the cakes being in a contam'ed tub and the cakes using their energy having to fight off any infections. temps 72f, misting 4x a day, SGFC built to exact specs.

Also slight very slight bluing is noticed on all the cakes in places, could this be from my light handling of them, or being set out of the SGFC in a dry tub for 3 hours while cleaning? (most likely both I presume) and do you guys think the cakes will recover to their natural color?

Also the bag of perlite I got at Walmart was set outside, along with many other bags of soil and compost etc., the bag had several holes/tears in it but most of them did, spots of it were already moist, but considering fruiting in the FC is not sterile I didn't consider this a problem.

But as jumping to conclusions my house is kept very clean, the closet was disinfected very thoroughly before, and RH in my house is pretty low and have not seen a single spot of mold growth in my entire house. I know spores can be potentially be hiding anywhere, so it leads me to believe the sticks, and dirt clumps in the miracle grow were harboring contams from the start, and got to flourish in a high humidity environment. Hopefully I killed most of the mold in my intense cleaning last night, I know some has to still be in there. but hopefully killed off enough to give the cakes a chance.

thanks again guys! :heart: :thumbup:

OfflineMrPsychonaught
The Explorer
 User Gallery

#25976537 - 05/06/19 10:21 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

p.p.s ThisBliss the perlite, some of it fine, some of it course, I ended up losing about 1.5" of perlite while cleaning/rinsing it in the tub. After rinsing it like 4 times the tub was left in a coating of perlite about half an inch deep with the consistency of near fine sand. I ordered course verm and won't be dealing with this brand again. Luckily I got the suggestion to use 5" instead of 3-4", because I am now left with 3.5" course perlite. hopefully everything works out and will be on track now.

Offlinethecynicalstoic
Cheap Beginner
Male

Loc: CO, US
    #25977132 - 05/07/19 06:55 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Quote:

MrPsychonaught said:
Luckily I got the suggestion to use 5" instead of 3-4", because I am now left with 3.5" course perlite. hopefully everything works out and will be on track now.

Now that is a damn positive outlook! I like it.

OfflineMrPsychonaught
The Explorer
 User Gallery

#25979746 - 05/08/19 01:45 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Ziran, just wanting the opinion of a pro. Still no signs of growth, my optimism is fading each morning I look in to find no pins. Lost track of the exact day im on but cakes were put in 4/26 and still no pinning. Getting very discouraged. Any last resort tips that could help? Tub still smells fresh, but no hyphal knots seen anymore and I feel like im losibg these cakes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by MrPsychonaught (05/08/19 01:55 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Hot Plate, Hygrometer, Lava Lamp, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started