Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Agar, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Spawn Bags, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebees
Stranger
Did I Blow Up My WBS? (Moisture Content Concerns)
    #25969820 - 05/03/19 10:39 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

I'm pretty new to this kind of growing and very new to wbs teks, but hoping for good news here. tldr; Can this 1/2 wbs 1/2 Rye Berry be used for spawn bags?

I followed this TEK (almost.... face palm) - https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17252080/fpart/all/vc/1

I combined Organic Rye Berries and Finch Feed Seed Mix 1:1. I chose the Finch Seeds Mix because they lacked corn and sunflower seeds. This allowed me to skip the bucket sifting steps in the beginning. Note that the mix contains some small translucent grey chunks that seemed pretty soft when rinsing under cold water. I did not add any gelatin, and suspected these would function similarly.

Oof, I just looked up the seed mix so I could link to it and it claims to have cracked sunflower shells in it. "Quality seed blend of sunflower chips, nyjer seed, and millet"

https://www.lowes.com/pd/National-Audubon-Society-10-lb-Signature-Harvest-Finch-Blend/1000429905

Steps taken:
- Rinsed seeds and berries until water ran (basically) clear.
- Let sit for 12 hrs (added 4-6 cups of brewed coffee without the grounds)
- Added water to bring level about 1.5" above grains
- Heated while constantly stirring the bottom of the pot for 25 min. Never let boil, only saw froth on top but there was plenty of steam.
- Turned the heat off and here's where I went wrong  :facepalm: thinking "no more heat, it can't boil from here, I'll put the lid on and let it rest/cool". Not only did I put the lid on, I sealed it pressure cooker style and walked away for about 30 minutes. When I uncapped it, the grains had soaked up all the liquid and were a bulging pile of, what looked like, mush.

So aside from loosing my agar nutrients, I'm afraid I exploded the millet and or Rye and have lost my grain spawn substrate.

What do you all think? Is this still viable, should I risk using it or absolutely just toss it?

Also, what do you think of the moisture content? It isn't soaking the paper towel and it's not done air drying yet, but obviously the grains are holding a lot of water inside.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekayo
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Loc: Ul'dah
Re: Did I Blow Up My WBS? (Moisture Content Concerns) [Re: bees]
    #25969972 - 05/03/19 12:23 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Yah that looks hella starchy IMO. Youll probably have a ton of burst grains after you PC. Theres plenty bust as is. Heating after soaking is only to help evaporate it. Soon as water starts steaming its time to strain and dry.

Id toss it... or look up some recipes. :grin:

Edited by kayo (05/03/19 12:24 PM)

Offlinebees
Stranger
Re: Did I Blow Up My WBS? (Moisture Content Concerns) [Re: kayo]
    #25970204 - 05/03/19 02:56 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Thanks, I know some chickens that will eat anything.

OfflineSadman
Stranger
Re: Did I Blow Up My WBS? (Moisture Content Concerns) [Re: bees]
    #25971413 - 05/04/19 02:27 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

I over heated my wbs a few weeks ago too. Fell asleep while simmering them. Wasted a whole batch and a days wait. But hey lesson learned.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Agar, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Spawn Bags, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started