Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Audio and Video cards
    #2594915 - 04/23/04 03:09 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hey, I'm looking for an upgrade to my GeForce 256 (yeah, I know, OLD) and my Soundblaster 16.

I've got an AMD Athlon xp1800+, and the MoBo only supports 4x AGP.  Other specs for reference: 512MB RAM, WinXP, yada yada...

for the money, I'm thinking about the GeForce FX5200.  Pricewatch shows a few places listing it around 70-75 bucks.  I want to be able to play games that will come out around the next year.  Far Cry, Half-Life 2, Doom 3... I figure anything that supports DirectX 9, right?
What do you think? my budget is below 100, more like 75.  Any reviews/opinions on this card, and the biggest differences w/ others close to it?

As far as soundcard, I've got a Soundblaster 16.  I'm thinking about an Audigy, and the main reason I want to update this is for music production on my comp, not necessarily for games.  Fruity Loops is hard on the processor with too many VST's, but even using Cubase I want fluidity.
Any reviews/opinions on some different soundcards? I'm more picky about this I think, even tho there aren't usually huge breakthroughs in soundcards recently.

Thanks for your help guys  :grin:

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMetaShroom
菌类
 User Gallery

Loc: East Anglia UK
Re: Audio and Video cards [Re: Blastrid]
    #2597098 - 04/24/04 03:16 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

To play Doom 3 you really need something like a GeForce FX5700 or ATI 9600 Pro. But definately I would wait until these games are actually released, which probably won't be until the end of the year. You are going to be able to get a much better card for your money if you wait until then, as prices will drop after the games are released, and both ATI and nVidia will have a new top range by then, meaing their other products will drop in price.

The Geforce 2 GTS is the card I have right now, it's actually a great bit hardware for it's time, and is much better than things like the GeForce MX440  :razz:  So I am going to wait for a bit and then upgrade to something phat  :yesnod:

--------------------
:sleepingcow:  :penguinmonkey: :blah:

JOIN MAPS -> www.MAPS.ORG

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology