Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNessa428
Stranger
Newbie questions!
    #25946450 - 04/20/19 09:56 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Hello all! So glad to be here and super excited to start this adventure. So I have a few questions, hoping I could get some clarification. There is so much information it can be a little
Overwhelming. After I inoculate my jars and they have fully colonized, I would like to move them to horse manure. I own horses, so I have the aged poop (with firefang) readily available. I have read the threads about pasteurizing the manure so I am aware of that process. My confusion comes from what exactly to do with my “cakes”. I have read that soaking the cakes and then rolling in vermiculite is the next step, and I have also read chopping with a food processor and mixing in with the pasteurized horse manure.

If I soak and roll cakes, can I just roll them in the manure? Or do I still roll In vermiculite and then put the cakes on the manure?

If I chop and mix with manure, should I mix anything else (coffee grounds?) or is that not necessary. What’s the benefit of each method and which work

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCypressRage
Suicidal Prick
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Newbie questions! [Re: Nessa428]
    #25946464 - 04/20/19 10:01 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

My honest opinion I would search SGFC and just birth them as cakes. Then after that I would look into going bulk.

--------------------

InvisibleFeasoghorm

#25946577 - 04/20/19 11:36 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

I dnt use poop so i cant tell ya much about that.
However i wud use a SGFC for the cakes after dunked and rolled in verm. You set them on top of a mason lid or square of foil on top of hydrated perlite. Mist evey now and then. Very hands off.

Or once they fully colonize you can break them up (or use a cheese grater i guess) and spawn to a tub, but i wud do coir following the damion 50/50 tek (bucket tek).

OfflineNef
Dangerous Noobness
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: EU
Re: Newbie questions! [Re: CypressRage]
    #25946620 - 04/21/19 12:27 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Hi Nessa

I am a noob also, so maybe you take my advice with a pinch of salt eh

but I tend to agree that you might wanna fruit some of those cakes as cakes, just to get an understanding of the process and what to expect, how to keep conditions right... there is a learning curve to this

don't roll anything in manure, not a good idea IMHO

recheck the PF tek directions, stick to them. Do the classic dunk and roll in verm, will be quicker to get to mushrooms than shredding the cakes to a bulk substrate (at least it was for me)

If you have your heart set on shredding the cakes to bulk then perhaps the most user-friendly thing for you to do might be to use some version of the bucket tek on some plain coco coir as the substrate

Horse poo requires proper pasteurization or it is gonna end up being a tragedy, I understand you wanna use your own material and that is all good, but why put added technical challenges in front of yourself in the beginning

good luck anyway, however you go about it

OfflineSFS96S
AstroMan
 User Gallery

Loc: Valleys Of Neptune
Re: Newbie questions! [Re: Nef]
    #25946644 - 04/21/19 12:40 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Yeah honestly if this is your first grow I wouldn’t even attempt to pasteurize horse manure. Iv had many failed grows using manure in the past, I’m not saying it can’t be done but it’s a pain in the ass to get down. Wait until you have some experience then come back to the shit haha:thumbup:
  What I recommend is spawning like 3-5 cakes to 2 quarts of coir in a 6 quart plastic shoebox container, I wish I would have done my first grow like that:shrug:

--------------------
How I make and preserve tea

Consuming consumes a man That was never a purpose of life To only crave for material joys Is believing the lie - Mellow Mood

OfflineSecotoid
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25946860 - 04/21/19 05:27 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Pasteurization is not difficult. It is a process which must be done correctly. Failure will result in time, effort and resources wasted. Pasteurization-mandatory substrates are not as forgiving as e.g. coir. Feel entirely free to try it. If you do I recommend you follow a proven tek  and follow it faithfully. That will give you the best chances for success. If you go that route you will likely find such teks calling for whole grain spawn rather than pf style cakes but then those may simply be chopped, crumbled or grated up in a sanitary manner and substituted. Bulk substrates are not generally difficult.

With that said, if this is your first cultivation attempt, ask yourself how you will feel about your new adventure if you were not successful. If you want to see results first I suggest you dunk, roll and birth into a viable fruiting chamber. If you are happy with the risks that come from complicating your process then go for one of the bulk teks.

None of the methodologies set out in the teks are carved in stone but just do yourself the favor of not trying to mix and match, adapt unnecessarily or improvise with them at first. Pick one approach shown to work well and see it through.

--------------------

OfflineNessa428
Stranger
Re: Newbie questions! [Re: Secotoid]
    #25946887 - 04/21/19 06:12 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Thank you everyone. I will go with the soak, roll and birth cakes into coir for my first batch. I have a plethora of horse poop but I do not want to mess up, I’d rather see results. Another question- would dunk, rolls and birth into coir be the best method if my cakes were made from grain? Thanks again everyone!

OfflineSecotoid
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25946890 - 04/21/19 06:19 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

By birth into coir do you mean you are using coir in place of perlite to humidify your fruiting chamber or that you are using coir as a bulk?

Are your cakes actually cakes or are they whole grains?

--------------------

OfflineNessa428
Stranger
    #25946891 - 04/21/19 06:20 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

After looking up some things you all mentioned, I should add I am heading a small “green house” type of setup with the ability to have fully automated everything- misting, fans etc. It’s been previously used to sprout seedlings but it’s all been cleaned and sterilized. So I was planning on using tin foil trays to fruit in. Not boxes.

OfflineNessa428
Stranger
    #25946893 - 04/21/19 06:21 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Whole grains. Sorry, I messed up in the original post.

OfflineNessa428
Stranger
    #25946895 - 04/21/19 06:22 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

And I would be using coir in my trays after the “cakes” are dunked and rolled in vermiculite.

OfflineSecotoid
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25946900 - 04/21/19 06:30 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

You are conflating a couple separate techniques.

'cakes' are mixtures of vermiculite, grain flour and water in the style of the PF tek, where the vermiculite makes the material porous and water absorbent. These are what get 'dunked and rolled', and then placed into a humidified fruiting chamber.

whole grains, particularly used alone are difficult to fruit well from directly as they hold relatively little water. They are generally used as spawn, which is to say broken back up into their individual kernels (or small clumps of them) and mixed with bulk substrate materials such as horse manure, straw, coir, and assorted admixtures. If what you have is colonized whole grains then yes, I would break that up and mix it together with prepared, properly hydrated coir as a beginner friendly bulk substrate.

My cultivation knowledge - notwithstanding the amount of catching up I've been doing in the past 2 months is largely 10+ years old. If there is a particular tek which seems to be working that I'm unaware of somebody feel free to set me straight.

If there is a specific tek you are meaning to follow I might go on confusing both of us less if you posted a link to it.

--------------------

OfflineNessa428
Stranger
    #25946932 - 04/21/19 07:28 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

No, I can ASSURE you I am the confused one- let me start over. My jars have brown rice flower, vermiculite and liquid worm castings in them.

Once colonized, what is the best method to proceed with. Thank you for helping me understand this. I had thought I came to the conclusion a bulk tray was best based on my equipment. Now I am more confused!

OfflineSecotoid
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25946946 - 04/21/19 07:41 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Ok, with that settled (sorry again for all that) your easiest method assuming your fruiting chamber is appropriate just place them on a bit of foil or a jar lid on a bed of wet perlite.

If you were to do a bulk tray/tub instead the simplest way to go would be to hydrate some coir with boiling water to the proper water content then once that is cool just crumble up your cakes up and mix with the coir in your tray or tub. Those sterlite 6qt shoeboxes are perfect for that. 1 part cake to two parts coir would work - I have no idea what the ideal ratio for of style cakes as spawn actually is. That is about as simple as bulks get and as opposed to fruiting cakes you don't need all that supplemental humidification. You can just lid up the shoebox if it's not filled too high or put a second one upside down on top or a plastic bag over the top to hold it's own himidity in.

as long as your cakes are clean and everything is handled reasonably neither one is really harder than the other. Coir is very forgiving as long as your clean work isn't filthy and you get and keep the water content reasonably close.

--------------------

Offlinepoisoned
untitled

Loc: Yurop
Re: Newbie questions! [Re: Nessa428] * 1
    #25946947 - 04/21/19 07:41 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

A greenhouse setup is not what you want to go with as a beginner.

You should dunk&roll your cakes, then put them into either a SGFC or a humidity chamber.

Just follow the teks. You don't need to put them into any kind of "sterile" or humid place. With SGFC, you only need to be careful to have 6" of room on all sides.

--------------------
How I do glass dishes

OfflineSecotoid
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25946952 - 04/21/19 07:43 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

A good post on the shoebox done about as simply as it gets is Bod's.

As said above, for cakes a simple fruiting chamber like the shotgun done by the book is easy, cheap and will work.

--------------------

OfflineNessa428
Stranger
    #25947073 - 04/21/19 09:17 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

There’s a few reasons I want to use the “greenhouse” (keeping it safe & secure, away from kids, hidden by guests etc.. also I have a pretty crazy busy life so if I can automate any part of it that will make it so much easier. Yes I will check on them daily. So with that being said, I am leaning towards the bulk method with coir. What is the ideal temperature and humidity level? If I choose to use the shoebox method, I will still be storing the shoeboxes in the greenhouse frame for above reasons and it’s easy to see the temp and humidity level in there & I want to make sure I do it correctly. I have read 72-80 f.. and humidity levels, around 60% ??

Thank you all for your help.

OfflineSecotoid
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25947084 - 04/21/19 09:30 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

The greenhouse if nothing else will give you a nice neat fruiting area and probably buffer drafts and excessive drying. Your temperature should be general room temp (70-75 is pretty good) Your ambient humidity (and your humidity within the greenhouse) won't be particularly relevant. The coir will pretty much humidify itself in a shoebox. Because it's such a small volume you will want to make sure you're not constantly opening it to inspect things or it could dry out and require supplemental water but the trick to that is to don't do much of that, no matter how anxious, excited, impatient you feel. With a few grows under your belt you'll find that impatience and restless urge to always check on it fades off to a constand dull hum :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineNessa428
Stranger
    #25947273 - 04/21/19 11:36 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Thank you, thank you!

Offlinepoisoned
untitled

Loc: Yurop
    #25947350 - 04/21/19 12:04 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

All of the aforementioned methods will maintain conditions well without constant babysitting. Checking on them once a day is plenty.

--------------------
How I do glass dishes

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation