Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDurgin
Amateur Mad Scientist
 User Gallery

First shoebox just before harvest * 2
    #25935568 - 04/15/19 07:54 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

2 quarts GT (agar from spores after a couple transfers) on wheat, spawned 1:1 with bucket tek CVG and dub-tubbed after pinning:

Harvested about half of these (the biggest ones) 12 hours later, then the rest the next day. Got about 20g dry from this, could've probably got another 5-6 but I didn't want to damage the substrate by ripping out stumps. Fruits were relatively small but otherwise looked decent.

Overall satisfied with the first attempt, but any advice from more experienced growers based on what you see here? Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDurgin
Amateur Mad Scientist
 User Gallery

Re: First shoebox just before harvest [Re: Durgin]
    #25935569 - 04/15/19 07:55 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

(Also note the walls are wet because I'd just misted before taking this pic.)

InvisibleBoogieman47
Let's boogie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under your bed Flag
    #25935660 - 04/15/19 08:54 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Damn man that's legit nice tub

--------------------

OfflineDurgin
Amateur Mad Scientist
 User Gallery

Re: First shoebox just before harvest [Re: Boogieman47]
    #25935677 - 04/15/19 09:01 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks. My only complaint is the variation in speed and size of the fruits, which made harvesting a bit of a hassle - ended up having to harvest a bunch that were immature because they were mixed in with the big ones, and even had to cut off a few caps before harvesting to avoid a spore-covered mess (got good prints at least though). Took some clones and hoping that in the future I can use those to get more even flushes. Overall, though, totally OK with these results.

(Now, the box I had to toss today because of trich just as it was pinning... Less happy about that one! Pretty sure the sub was too wet, but who knows. The beautiful thing about shoeboxes though is that I could toss that one and still have 5 more in progress, so not a big loss.)

InvisibleBoogieman47
Let's boogie
Male User Gallery

#25935679 - 04/15/19 09:05 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

When tubs are already pinning with trich I let them finish in a containment zone Haha but that's how ms is and for ms that's a nice tub only way to get better results are clones

--------------------

OfflineHippiebait
Stranger

#25935700 - 04/15/19 09:23 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Congrats that looks Awsome.

Invisiblenulls
Male User Gallery

Re: First shoebox just before harvest [Re: Hippiebait]
    #25935721 - 04/15/19 09:40 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Nice, dude those look awesome! I'm coming up on my first harvests within the week which are also A2G transfers from MSS. Got 15 shoeboxes going about a week apart, "just in case", and starting another half dozen this week along with a couple mini monos. I already know that my first 2 tubs that are pinning are not going to look that nice (side pin city) because I started with too dry of coir because apparently you aren't supposed to mangle the coir so hard when testing for field capacity. I was getting water to drain at 3qts per brick, but apparently I'm just good at juicin' the weasal, buddy.

OfflineDurgin
Amateur Mad Scientist
 User Gallery

#25935793 - 04/15/19 10:20 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Boogieman47 said:
When tubs are already pinning with trich I let them finish in a containment zone

I was hoping to do that, but this was super aggressive. I spotted it when it was about an inch in diameter, and hacked it out along with about an inch and a half buffer in all directions. Patched the hole with coir and hoped for the best, but within 24 hours it was back even worse than before. Right now it's in the freezer waiting for trash day - don't want that stuff anywhere near my work area.

InvisibleBoogieman47
Let's boogie
Male User Gallery

#25935796 - 04/15/19 10:23 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Never cut trich out if you want to save a tub salt paste it ... cutting it out does nothing the spores already got every where ..

Yeah next time just do a salt paste and paper towel over that then take the tub to your laundry room or something I use my kitchen table Haha

--------------------

OfflineDurgin
Amateur Mad Scientist
 User Gallery

Re: First shoebox just before harvest [Re: nulls] * 1
    #25935803 - 04/15/19 10:28 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

nulls said:
I already know that my first 2 tubs that are pinning are not going to look that nice (side pin city) because I started with too dry of coir because apparently you aren't supposed to mangle the coir so hard when testing for field capacity. I was getting water to drain at 3qts per brick, but apparently I'm just good at juicin' the weasal, buddy.

I've had pretty good luck avoiding side pins so far by adding a top layer of CVG and packing it in pretty tight around the edges, compressing about a finger's width border on all sides. That definitely slows down myc growth around the sides (after a week or two, it almost looks like a picture frame around the top layer of myc growth) and keeps the sub from pulling away from the sides as much, so the pinning stays mainly on top.

There might be some downside to this (perhaps the slower colonization of tight-pressed sub increases contam risk?), but I got the idea from someone deep in the making shoeboxes thread and I like what I see so far.

OfflineDurgin
Amateur Mad Scientist
 User Gallery

#25935810 - 04/15/19 10:33 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Boogieman47 said:
Never cut trich out if you want to save a tub salt paste it ... cutting it out does nothing the spores already got every where ..

Yeah next time just do a salt paste and paper towel over that then take the tub to your laundry room or something I use my kitchen table Haha

Live in a small apartment, so I don't have that many options! I think my standard practice will just be to chuck them at the first sign so the whole place doesn't become a trich spore farm. From this shoebox and some other smaller containers / cakes, I've harvested enough over the past week to last me a year, so no pressure to try and save a green sub.

InvisibleBoogieman47
Let's boogie
Male User Gallery

#25935824 - 04/15/19 10:40 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

For sure I see that's good man.. you going to try clones ?

--------------------

OfflineDurgin
Amateur Mad Scientist
 User Gallery

#25935837 - 04/15/19 10:46 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, grabbed a few yesterday from another GT tub and already had a few growing from B+ and PEU cakes that pinned in the jar (just birthed them in my SAB and put pins directly to agar). Transferred those a couple times and then knocked up three quarts of rye each yesterday with LCs made from one clone of each variety (so six in total). So I should have a couple shoeboxes of each ready to fill right about when the current batch is winding down.

InvisibleBoogieman47
Let's boogie
Male User Gallery

#25935847 - 04/15/19 10:49 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Hell yeah keep us posted with those dude goodluck

--------------------

Invisiblenulls
Male User Gallery

#25935977 - 04/15/19 11:57 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Durgin said:
I've had pretty good luck avoiding side pins so far by adding a top layer of CVG and packing it in pretty tight around the edges, compressing about a finger's width border on all sides. That definitely slows down myc growth around the sides (after a week or two, it almost looks like a picture frame around the top layer of myc growth) and keeps the sub from pulling away from the sides as much, so the pinning stays mainly on top...

Thanks for the tip! My last 5 shoeboxes have a top layer of CVG and they are definitely not drying out quite as fast. I'll give that method of packing down the borders a try tonight on the shoeboxes I'm putting together.

OfflineDurgin
Amateur Mad Scientist
 User Gallery

Re: First shoebox just before harvest [Re: nulls] * 1
    #25942533 - 04/18/19 09:42 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

nulls said:
Thanks for the tip! My last 5 shoeboxes have a top layer of CVG and they are definitely not drying out quite as fast. I'll give that method of packing down the borders a try tonight on the shoeboxes I'm putting together.

This is a more recent shoebox done that way, and you can see how the pinning is concentrated in the middle and the sub isn't pulling away from the side yet (first flush). PF Classic, spawned 1:1 with bucket tek CVG on 4/7:

Invisiblenulls
Male User Gallery

#25942719 - 04/19/19 12:28 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Durgin said:
This is a more recent shoebox done that way, and you can see how the pinning is concentrated in the middle and the sub isn't pulling away from the side yet (first flush). PF Classic, spawned 1:1 with bucket tek CVG on 4/7:

Nice. I did 5 on the 8th 1:2 bucket tek CVG but without patting down edges and the pins are primarily evenly spread out on the surface, so even just that made a huge difference. Did 4 more on the 15th and 5 more on the 17th with the packed down edge method, also CVG with a half inch top layer (I'm in a super arid environment at elevation) So I've got plenty of data points to collect (24 in all). Even my first 5 which are pretty bad, I added a top layer to the penis envy shoebox and it definitely has less sidepins than the other 4 made that same day. All the CVG top layer shoeboxes are definitely favoring this noob. Gonna stick with the top layer for sure until I get more experience.

OfflineDurgin
Amateur Mad Scientist
 User Gallery

Re: First shoebox just before harvest [Re: nulls]
    #25943078 - 04/19/19 06:53 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Though I know a lot of TCs don't use top layers, I've found so far that it makes things a bit more forgiving in dry conditions and when you don't have your moisture perfectly dialed in yet. So for now I'm sticking with it, at least until summer humidity kicks in.

OfflineFailboat
Fuck Up

Trusted Cultivator
    #25943104 - 04/19/19 07:27 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

The unmodified tub should handle any humidity issues. I have recently ditched top layers because it only adds to time. Clean spawn and packed subs with even surfaces are the key to canopies with multiple flushes plain and simple.

InvisibleBph
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First shoebox just before harvest [Re: Failboat]
    #25943148 - 04/19/19 08:08 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Love the top layer. I just use the coir I have preped nothing extra added. No side pins and great pinsets on the reg. I also find that you wont need to mist. With that said I dont run side by side test so maybe its not doing shit. But it aint broke so I dont try and fix it.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract