Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedebord
Stranger
 User Gallery
Fruiting chamber advice.
    #25935582 - 04/15/19 08:03 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Hello.

Just looking for some advice on my set up please.

I have an oil heater and a fan in there - fan blows for 15 minutes every hour.
Temp is about 27 degrees with the heater.

Any advice would be great.
Currently doing big mists twice a day.

Here are some pics of it empty and with my tubs in:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemojotoke
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colombia Flag
Re: Fruiting chamber advice. [Re: debord]
    #25935639 - 04/15/19 08:36 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Throw that cotton away and get yourself some microporous tape. I get great air exchange with it as long as the holes are big. I'd also recommend getting a fan speed controller so your fan is running all day at whatever speed you choose. It'll do the job as it is but it's looks very contaminant friendly. If that floor's carpet I'd get that covered asap

Offlinedebord
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Fruiting chamber advice. [Re: mojotoke] * 1
    #25935694 - 04/15/19 09:18 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks - I use micropore tape for my jars so I will sub out the pillow filling.

The bottom isn't carpet it's plaster board but I give it regular bleach blitzes

InvisibleMateja
 Unread Journal User Gallery

Loc: Here
Re: Fruiting chamber advice. [Re: debord] * 1
    #25935720 - 04/15/19 09:38 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

mojotoke said:
Throw that cotton away and get yourself some microporous tape. I get great air exchange with it as long as the holes are big. I'd also recommend getting a fan speed controller so your fan is running all day at whatever speed you choose. It'll do the job as it is but it's looks very contaminant friendly. If that floor's carpet I'd get that covered asap

:justno:

Literally ALL of those statements are nonsensical :shrug:

1 That's not cotton that's polyfil, and it works great like many other options :thumbup:

2, Yuu don't actually need big holes nor any holes in your tubs to get maximum FAE. Unmodified tubs works great.

3 Running a FAN 24/7 (or even at all) in the grow room is indicative of confusing mushrooms with plants.
You don't need to fan manually nor electrically EVER.

4 Describing dry inanimate objects in the grow area as 'contaminant friendly' shows you don't understand very much about what causes bulk substrates to contaminate. But it's not carpets or other objects. It's nutrient rich media's :thumbup:

--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fruiting chamber advice. [Re: debord] * 1
    #25935725 - 04/15/19 09:43 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Having all those cords near the heater is a fire hazard. I would keep cords far away from the heater as possible. Other than that, everything looks/sounds pretty decent.

InvisibleMateja

#25935728 - 04/15/19 09:45 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

debord said:
The bottom isn't carpet it's plaster board but I give it regular bleach blitzes

Also unnecessary, all of those things that you're trying to kill om the floor are constantly floating in air outside AND inside your tubs. If that was even an issue we wouldn't be able to grow bulk substrates the way we do :shrug:

And don't take advice from someone who made an account last week and possibly has never grown mushrooms in his life and is clueless

--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub

InvisibleMateja

Re: Fruiting chamber advice. [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #25935735 - 04/15/19 09:50 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:
Having all those cords near the heater is a fire hazard. I would keep cords far away from the heater as possible. Other than that, everything looks/sounds pretty decent.

Yeah forgot to add this also.
But I would keep the heater away from EVERYTHING in the grow area. Not saying get rid of it but it can heat up the surrounding air in the whole room just fine where ever it stands in the room, just keep it away from everything that grows.

--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub

Offlinemojotoke
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

Re: Fruiting chamber advice. [Re: Mateja]
    #25935860 - 04/15/19 10:55 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Sure thing, you don't need half the things I use, to get quick fast results. I'm sure your unmodified lunchboxes get plenty of fresh air :thumbdown: , but his may not! After all, mushrooms don't grow outside?!

While your at it, throw away your exhaust fan and any blue spectrum lights you thought were useful. I'm sure the contaminant wont reach the cake, but there's no harm in doing a good job?

Humidity + nonflat surfaces = contaminant buildup :tongue2: , it's not so difficult to understand.

Yes put the heater at the furthest distance.

Edited by mojotoke (04/15/19 11:02 AM)

Invisiblesh4d0ws
LSx
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Fruiting chamber advice. [Re: mojotoke] * 2
    #25935865 - 04/15/19 10:57 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

How high is the temp without the heater?

I grow in a room that fluctuates from 18-22...getting as low as 16 in the winter. I don't heat it

Might just be an extra nuisance/thing to worry about. Unless your temps are super low it's prob not necessary IMO

--------------------

InvisibleMateja

Re: Fruiting chamber advice. [Re: sh4d0ws] * 1
    #25936181 - 04/15/19 01:21 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

mojotoke said:
I'm sure your unmodified lunchboxes get plenty of fresh air :thumbdown:

Yes, all unmodified tubs have adjustable FAE that can be increased or decreased at any rate. :thumbup:

Quote:

I'm sure the contaminant wont reach the cake

:lolwut:
I'll just assume that you refer to contaminant 'spores' when you mention 'contaminants'. And yes contaminant spores WILL reach the cake because they are in the surrounding air and not just on the floor as I already explained to you.
Second of all fully colonized substrates don't just contaminate in contact with open air and contaminant spores.
If they did we wouldn't be able to grow them the way we do :shrug:

Quote:

Humidity  nonflat surfaces = contaminant buildup :tongue2: , it's not so difficult to understand.

:lolwut:
Contaminate spores are EVERYWHERE. In the air, on both flat and nonflat surfaces. Humid or dry, doesn't matter. I don't even now what you're trying to say with this statement :shrug: Are you maybe referring to live organisms? I think you're using the term 'contaminants' in a confusing way, the word itself doesn't mean shit its a collection word we use for live bacteria, dormant endospores, live mold colonies, mold spores, so forth and so on. Some of the LIVE organisms I mentioned are capable of crippling an otherwise healthy fully colonized substrate if they come into contact. But that same organism poses no threat when in a dormant state. Another organism in DORMANT state may still be able to cripple a health substrate upon contact. Do you see now how it's basically meaningless to say random things like "the contaminant won't reach the cake" (what contaminant? Sounds like you're talking about a known dormant organism that is capable of fucking up a cake, but as you expressed you don't think that the specific organism you're referring to will be able to reach the cake. (whatever contaminant means and however you came to the conclusion that it won't reach the cake..) :bongload: when in reality the only thing you could have been referring to is the common house mold/bacterial spores that are collected on dirty surfaces like a carpet in the grow area. The most lolwut statement so far :lol: or "humidity and nonflat surfaces = contaminant buildup"

By 'buildup' do you refer to germination? (you must be) in that case you need to spend a few days checking out the first link in my sig. Since you're totally new and have close to no basic understanding of this you should really try to focus more on reading and asking questions instead of giving out nonsense advice and arguing with much more experienced growers :bongload: gl in the future and I'm (mostly) always here to help you out next time if you need it. Peace :mushroom:<3

How about this, if you have never successfully fruited magic mushroom that you yourself grew, then maybe don't argue with growers that have been doing it for a few years? Especially if they're trying to steer you in the right direction and help you actually learn so that you can have have success and even be able to help others.
But you're not helping anyone grow magic mushrooms here the way you're giving advise trust me I'm not saying this to hurt you I'm saying it cause I want all new growers to have the opportunity to have access to correct information from the get go so they can enjoy success early on. Peace
:mushroom:<3

--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub

Offlinemojotoke
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

Re: Fruiting chamber advice. [Re: Mateja]
    #25936258 - 04/15/19 02:01 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Now now lets not go guessing what experience I have, yes contaminants are always unavoidable, their active state is what must be avoided I understand I'm not completely new to this

Offlinemojotoke
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

#25937346 - 04/16/19 02:17 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Despite the comments, It's my belief that having a fan in there will help to spread heat through the room. It isn't very important but It will allow you to keep the heater at max distance and possibly reduce heating costs. Which is by far the largest running cost.

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fruiting area advice. [Re: mojotoke]
    #25937374 - 04/16/19 03:10 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

The issue is a fan interfers with the natural convention flow of warm/cool air, so in my opinion, it does more harm than good.

Offlinedebord
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Fruiting area advice. [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #25937433 - 04/16/19 04:14 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the advice guys!

Didn't mean to start a fight on here...
I did replace the polyfill with micropore before I cane back to this thread - will see how that goes on these tubs now.

The temp isn't that cool (checked today - it's 23), I just wanted to keep the little guys happy.

Once again - I really appreciate the help

Offlinepoisoned
untitled
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Yurop
Re: Fruiting area advice. [Re: debord] * 1
    #25937452 - 04/16/19 04:34 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

They will be very happy at 23ÂșC

--------------------
How I do glass dishes

Offlinedebord
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Fruiting area advice. [Re: poisoned] * 1
    #25939172 - 04/17/19 12:48 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

So as a re-cap please:

Is the micropore a good alternative to polyfill?

Should I have the fan on a low setting 24/7?

Offlinemojotoke
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

Re: Fruiting area advice. [Re: debord]
    #25939194 - 04/17/19 01:22 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Polyfill is fine, It looked like cotton to me. Micropore tape is nice because it's versatile and minimal waste.

As for the fan I've had equal success with and without. Not for me to say

A good use for fans (I use great with great success) is a filtered intake fan and an unfiltered exhaust fan, for future consideration.

OfflineGeinstein
Shroomery addict
Male User Gallery

Re: Fruiting area advice. [Re: mojotoke] * 1
    #25939211 - 04/17/19 01:47 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Lol this thread:lol:

So it looks to me your aiming for bigger grows in the future
It also looks like your growing with the knowledge of plants
(Both I'm doing guess work on)

Any case there's 2 things
1 your tubs are a bit on the tall side (or at least compared to what I am used to, I use 100l tubs which is a good size for me that doesn't mean you need to swap your tubs out)

2 your sub I can't tell properly but it looks thin.
A thin sub is harder to maintain then a thick sub
At the same time, if maintained correctly you may get more out of 2 thin sub's compered to one thick sub

OK after that some more things

If your new and even if you can do bulk don't forget PF tek
Do your mono tubs but you learn faster with PF tek(reading the grow so to speak)

Did you case your sub?
I would case a sub like that

The design of the tub. . .I don't like it
Just coming from my own experience and that from the only place I can come from the normal 1 hole at each short side and 2 holes at each long side has hold the test of time.

How much light you got in there
Get as much light in without heating the place up(OK half that and after you got 5 runs under your belt upgrade)

--------------------

Nothing breads nothing

Offlinemojotoke
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

Re: Fruiting area advice. [Re: Geinstein]
    #25939219 - 04/17/19 02:01 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Geinstein said:
Lol this thread:lol:

So it looks to me your aiming for bigger grows in the future
It also looks like your growing with the knowledge of plants
(Both I'm doing guess work on)

It would seem that way ahaha, personally it allows me to use a humidifier in the same room and cut bags/remove lids.

I always use a casing layer for these, particularly around the edges. 70% vermiculite, 15% worm castings 15% oyster shell is my favourite. 100% verm no problem though

:heart:

OfflinePumpJackTeX
livin life
Male User Gallery

Loc: California Flag
Re: Fruiting area advice. [Re: mojotoke]
    #25939426 - 04/17/19 07:08 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

I used a Poor Mans Pod with excellent results & absolutely no maintenance or fanning but there is a conspiracy here to rid the site from the perect fruiting chamber.

You use 2-3 inches of water with 4 inches of lava rock with a air pump and two air stones.

Averaged 15grams per cake consistently for me.

--------------------
Life. 2008

Ascension Energy | UFOs | 2021

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate