Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerandomusername
Stranger

Jiffy Mix questions
    #25933666 - 04/14/19 07:22 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Recenty started casing substrates with jiffy mix. I like the idea of being able to mist more and give more FAE without drying out the substrate. They remain uncovered during lights on, and misted as needed until lights out. They stay covered overnight

I pasteurize for 1 hour at 140-160F, but sometimes the temp goes a little higher than wanted. Around 170ish almost 180. I understand those high temps are no longer pasteurization, but partial sterilization.

Been running into slight cobweb mold issues on the casings, but can't tell if it's purely environmental, or due to partial sterilization of the casing mix. Also tossed a casing after seeing tiny spots of trichoderma begining to show.

How do you guys go about pasturizing and maintaining your casings once applied?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMycolorado
Hobbyist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Interdimensional Bootcamp
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Jiffy Mix questions [Re: randomusername]
    #25933792 - 04/14/19 09:11 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

I’d say it’s due to being sterilized.  I’ve ran jiffy casing without pasteurizing with no issues...simply hydrated with hot tap.  I do like to pull out all the wood bits but that might not even be necessary.  Why not leave the lid on and forego the issue altogether?

Offlinerandomusername
Stranger

Re: Jiffy Mix questions [Re: Mycolorado]
    #25933854 - 04/14/19 09:45 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Mycolorado said:
I’d say it’s due to being sterilized.  I’ve ran jiffy casing without pasteurizing with no issues...simply hydrated with hot tap.  I do like to pull out all the wood bits but that might not even be necessary.  Why not leave the lid on and forego the issue altogether?

I was guessing the same. The stove gets turned off once it hits about 120F but it rises substantially. Maybe I'll start turning it off around 100F so it hovers in the 140-160 range.

As far as leaving the lids on, what do you mean exactly? I use bulk aluminum trays lined with plastic for easy clean up, 2qts spawn/2qts CVG. They don't come with lids so i just cover with clear wrap when I'm not around or at night, they are being fruited in open air so i try not to let them dry out overnight.

I usually go with monos but have been having bad luck with them, so trays it is until a healthy fruit can be cloned and cleaned up before expanding to bulk

InvisibleMycolorado
Hobbyist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25933877 - 04/14/19 09:54 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

I figured you were in tubs.  Depending on your climate I would say tubs(monos) would be the better route as they’ll maintain consistent conditions and require less maintenance.

Offlinerandomusername
Stranger

#25933918 - 04/14/19 10:18 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

I was doing tubs awhile back, but lost too many to mean green. And the ones that did turn out somewhat okay got hit with Vert, so i couldn't clone anything. Guess that's what ya get for trying to rush and going straight MS jars to tubs... Now i just drop a grain on agar, transfer the healthy rhizo growth, then back to grains, then trays. The plan is to get a nice fruit, then clone and expand to avoid constant contams and wasted time  :boo:

InvisibleMycolorado
Hobbyist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25933939 - 04/14/19 10:28 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Cloning and fruiting strategy/container have nothing to do with it.  Your spawn is dirty.  Once yo can generate clean spawn, you’ll be good to go.

Offlinerandomusername
Stranger

#25933975 - 04/14/19 10:49 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Gotcha. I appreciate the advice! I just figured dropping a colonized grain on agar and cleaning up that way would be the same as dropping spores on agar? I thought it would give a head start on the myc as well as narrow down the genetics a bit. I could be wrong. Never really had luck with spore solution on agar, as it usually ends up bacterial before any germination occurs

Edited by randomusername (04/14/19 10:57 AM)

InvisibleMycolorado
Hobbyist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25933983 - 04/14/19 10:56 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Fosho!  Grain to agar is perfectly fine as long as you’re making a few transfers to ensure you have a good clean culture.  The issue is likely occurring when you inoculate the grain...as long as your culture is clean, transfer technique or lid setup would be my guess.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags