Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinerider420
Ghost in the machine
Male User Gallery

Legalization led to people trying cannabis for the first time ever
    #25933687 - 04/14/19 07:39 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Legalization led to people trying cannabis for the first time ever

https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/legalization-led-to-people-trying-cannabis-for-the-first-time-ever-1.4379207

Quote:

Laura Kane, The Canadian Press
Published Sunday, April 14, 2019 7:18AM EDT
VANCOUVER -- Cindi Phelps never imagined herself running a pot shop. She smoked weed as a teenager, but as an adult she says she became "cranky" about cannabis, endlessly lecturing her kids and judging everyone who touched the stuff.

It was only when she neared 50 that she realized marijuana could soothe her pain from a chronic health issue. Now that she manages the Tamarack Cannabis Boutique in Kimberley, B.C., Phelps can relate to customers who are nervous about trying pot for the first time in decades -- or ever.

About 15 to 20 per cent of her customers fall into this category, and most are baby boomers, she said.

"They had their kids. They had their family. Now they're retired and they'd like to try it again," she said. "It's legal, they don't feel they're going to get arrested for it."

When Canada legalized weed on Oct. 17, 2018, it wasn't clear how it would affect the stigma around cannabis or the habits of non-marijuana users. Six months later, early data and interviews with store operators suggest a considerable number of Canadians are lighting up for the first time.

Nearly 14 per cent of cannabis users surveyed by Statistics Canada from mid-November to mid-December had just begun using weed within the previous three months. The period they were asked about includes time before and after legalization, but the percentage of new users jumped noticeably compared with previous quarters, when they ranged from 4.7 to 7.8 per cent.

The agency found that new users spanned all age groups. However, use among people aged 24 to 35 declined slightly in the months as legalization was unfolding, while it grew among all age categories above 35.

Legalization has drawn a whole new segment of people who prefer to use legal cannabis and are willing to pay more for it, said Jennifer Lee, the lead partner managing the cannabis sector for consulting firm Deloitte.

"Government oversight does bring a whole new cohort to the market," she said. "They could have tried it on the black market. They just chose not to, because they wanted to know it was a safe product."

Generally, she said her research has shown that people over 55 are most enticed by this market, because they dabbled in marijuana years ago and can afford to pay more for legal weed.

People with no cannabis experience often ask for cannabidiol, also known as CBD, a non-psychoactive extract that is used to treat pain and anxiety, said Mike Babins, owner of Evergreen Cannabis in Vancouver.

"They come in here saying, 'I have no desire to get high. I just want CBD,' " Babins said. "And we say, 'Why? What's so wrong with being high? Do you think it's like all those old propaganda movies and you're going to think you're a bird and you're going to jump out the window with all the pretty colours and your family will find you dead on the front lawn?' "

Sometimes people still want to stick with CBD, but for those who are willing to try cannabis containing THC, the mind-altering ingredient, staff guide them toward lower-dose products and advise them to start slow and enjoy their experience, he said.

Customers have said they've been waiting for it to be legal and they're tired of drinking too much alcohol at night, Babins said.

"They have a whole bottle of wine after dinner instead of a glass of wine with dinner," he said. "A lot are just saying, 'I have too much stress and I've been dealing with it the wrong way.' "

Many first-timers or first-time-in-a-long-timers wind up becoming repeat customers, Babins and other store owners said.

Statistics Canada data also indicates former users are considering picking up the habit again. The most recent survey found 19 per cent of Canadians think they will use cannabis in the next three months, compared with the 15 per cent who are current users.

Former users were more likely to report that they will use than people who had never used -- 13 per cent compared with 2 per cent.

Krystian Wetulani, founder of City Cannabis Co., said his two licensed locations in Vancouver have seen a huge uptick in customers aged 45 to 65 since they started selling legal cannabis.

People in this age group seem to feel more comfortable now because they know the cannabis is tested to meet Health Canada standards, he said, and they don't have to sign their name to anything, such as a medical-dispensary membership card.

Toronto's first legal cannabis store The Hunny Pot has also seen a "huge influx" of first-time consumers, including locals and tourists, since it opened two weeks ago, said communications officer Cameron Brown.

As for those who haven't used cannabis for decades, they're surprised by how much variety there is now, he said.

"There is a lot of education," he said.

"(We're) making sure that we're going through all the different steps with them, talking about the different THC levels, talking about the different strains and how they affect different people, but still trying to find what will work best for them."

I would like to buy the world a toke and live in perfect harmony.

Ya i know coke would sue me. :grinchjoint:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegandalfe
Gandalfe
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Legalization led to people trying cannabis for the first time ever [Re: rider420]
    #25934507 - 04/14/19 03:38 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

The highly educated bud-tender that is trying to explain weed to someone that has been smoking it for 30 years.I hope it falls on deaf ears.

Offlineviraldrome
 User Gallery

Loc: Parts Unknown
Re: Legalization led to people trying cannabis for the first time ever [Re: gandalfe]
    #25934782 - 04/14/19 05:45 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Legalization has drawn a whole new segment of people who prefer to use legal cannabis and are willing to pay more for it, said Jennifer Lee, the lead partner managing the cannabis sector for consulting firm Deloitte.

. "They could have tried it on the black market. They just chose not to, because they wanted to know it was a safe product."

----

Or they were losers with no connects. The legal stuff is irradiated it tastes sketch, "black market weed" still comes in organic, legal weed doesn't. Anyone who thinks legal is safer or healthier is an idiot

--------------------
Lysergamides I have tried so far: 1P-LSD, 1cP-LSD, ALD-52, AL-LAD, LSZ, ETH-LAD, MIPLA, EIPLA, 1cP-AL-LAD

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Legalization led to people trying cannabis for the first time ever [Re: viraldrome]
    #25934814 - 04/14/19 06:04 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

:rolleyes:
No thanks.

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Legalization led to people trying cannabis for the first time ever [Re: viraldrome]
    #25934989 - 04/14/19 07:52 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

viraldrome said:

. "They could have tried it on the black market. They just chose not to, because they wanted to know it was a safe product."

----

Or they were losers with no connects. The legal stuff is irradiated it tastes sketch, "black market weed" still comes in organic, legal weed doesn't. Anyone who thinks legal is safer or healthier is an idiot

Seems like an accessibility thing more then anything.

Right now in theory anyone could go score LSD on the black market if they really wanted, but most people aren't going to for a handful of reasons. If LSD was legal and available in pharmacies however way more people would almost certainly give it try.

It's also a tad ironic since our legal cannabis system is still far from perfect. So while they do test for mold and pesticides that doesn't mean legal bud is all mold and pesticide free, a good chunk of legal bud probably does have pesticide residue just not pesticides they test for.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

OfflineHappySloth
I'm a teapot

Re: Legalization led to people trying cannabis for the first time ever [Re: rider420]
    #25935404 - 04/15/19 03:11 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

rider420 said:
as an adult she says she became "cranky" about cannabis, endlessly lecturing her kids and judging everyone who touched the stuff.

It was only when she neared 50 that she realized marijuana could soothe her pain from a chronic health issue.

What an asshole.

Typical bullshit, oh now it suits me I'll change my mind and stop judging others on this issue. :mad:

I've met a lot of people who will smoke weed their selves AND judge / condem other people that use it.

I've even met police officers that do this.

Humans are ass HOLES.

How about you just don't fucking judge other people.  Its so fucking self rightous and ignorant.

--------------------
Learn to love all the things that you think are bad and then your life will start to be good.

OfflineFractalMind
Werewolf
Male

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Legalization led to people trying cannabis for the first time ever [Re: HappySloth]
    #25935438 - 04/15/19 04:48 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

WARNING THE SHROOMERY IS A DEA SHILL. THE DEA HAS BEEN FOUND GUILTY OF ILLEGALLY USING NSA TECHNOLOGY TO ENSLAVE AMERICANS. THIS WEBSITE WILL BE RAIDED AND SHUT DOWN.
I AM A CIA AGENT. YOU WERE WARNED.

KILL SHROOMERY'S SERVERS, NOW.

AND I WILL COOK 10 GRAMS OF LSD FOR THE PERSON THAT FINDS AND DESTROYS THIS WEBSITE'S  SERVER LOCATION.

Offlinerider420
Ghost in the machine
Male User Gallery

Re: Legalization led to people trying cannabis for the first time ever [Re: FractalMind]
    #25935981 - 04/15/19 11:59 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

FractalMind said:
WARNING THE SHROOMERY IS A DEA SHILL. THE DEA HAS BEEN FOUND GUILTY OF ILLEGALLY USING NSA TECHNOLOGY TO ENSLAVE AMERICANS. THIS WEBSITE WILL BE RAIDED AND SHUT DOWN.
I AM A CIA AGENT. YOU WERE WARNED.

KILL SHROOMERY'S SERVERS, NOW.

AND I WILL COOK 10 GRAMS OF LSD FOR THE PERSON THAT FINDS AND DESTROYS THIS WEBSITE'S  SERVER LOCATION.

Funny on so many le7els.

Smoking a joint laughing my fucking ass off SAJLMFAO

Offlinerider420
Ghost in the machine
Male User Gallery

Re: Legalization led to people trying cannabis for the first time ever [Re: HappySloth]
    #25935990 - 04/15/19 12:02 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

HappySloth said:

How about you just don't fucking judge other people.  Its so fucking self rightous and ignorant.

Awareness and empathy over coming the ego. :breakthrough:How many grams did it take. With me it was se7en. :wink:

OfflinePumpJackTeX
livin life
Male User Gallery

Loc: California Flag
    #25937125 - 04/15/19 10:00 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Do we all get to go to the same prison?

If its just us & no real criminals that sounds fun.

--------------------
Life. 2008

Ascension Energy | UFOs | 2021

Offlinerider420
Ghost in the machine
Male User Gallery

Re: Legalization led to people trying cannabis for the first time ever [Re: PumpJackTeX]
    #25938574 - 04/16/19 06:05 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

TexXx said:
Do we all get to go to the same prison?

If its just us & no real criminals that sounds fun.

You are all ready in jail, told what drugs you can use. The real irony is legal drugs are far more harmful then illegal ones. So risk jail to enjoy the spice of life or risk an early death from liver failure from drinking or cancer from smoking and or chewing tobacco.

At least cannabis is now being legalized perhaps freedom of choice will be allowed again. America land of the free to peruse your happiness as long as its legal drugs rather then the safer illegal ones right?

So if denying people freedom of choice of religion is a crime so should denying people freedom of drugs right? If so America is the most guilty nation on Earth of putting innocent people in jail!

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

#25945225 - 04/20/19 07:46 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

This is especially true for elderly people. Theyre not gonna buy off dealers. But in Santa Monica in a building made for the elderly (cheap rent, nice rooms, lots of bingo-type activities etc) like 30% of the people living in that building smoke. I dont think anyone under 60 lives there.

It gives them social acceptance and makes them feel like theyre not just "doing drugs" at age 80. Also lets them select edibles and all that. Theyre not gonna hit up the guy who sells 10 packs in illegal states

I think the disparity between legal and prohibition states is so fucked btw. Its the same country. When canada legalized, they did so from coast to coast. Its not fair that in one state a little baggie is totally legal and accepted whereas in another, just having a joint behind your ear can be grounds for arrest. At THIS point, cannabis really needs to be nationally/federally descheduled. Doesnt make sense otherwise. If 10 states and DC are doing just fine, it wont be any different in other states. Instead places like Utah get cbd oil that make 52 people sick. And who knows wtf is in the "c02 pens" that seem to be used more than bud and shatter, when in an illegal state

I just hope either NY or NJ legalize for real soon. I know NJ is at very least planning to expand medical and take out of state MMJ cards if recreational doesnt work out, since in both states its been a problem after repeated promises. "We need social equity". No you need real legal cannabis. Im feeling more and more like the social equity bs is just an excuse not to legalize. They want current (specifically black) hustlers to have a way into the market. Or people that have received criminal records because of cannabis.

Really, this isnt so complicated. Give some amount of licenses to poor neighborhoods, and legalize for christ sakes, that way people stop getting arrested for weed. Black, white, purple. Its about the green more than any other color. Jeez its like hustlers see that dispensary owners tend to be white and theyre like "no im already doing good, i dont need this".

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

Edited by Fractal420 (04/20/19 07:58 AM)

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Legalization led to people trying cannabis for the first time ever [Re: Fractal420]
    #25945936 - 04/20/19 03:42 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

It has everything to do with putting people behind bars for a medical problem and not kids after school blowing smoke out their noses.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures