Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: Kids on drugs - how to deal with it [Re: Ravus]
    #2575968 - 04/18/04 10:50 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Thousands of 14 year old use speed everyday. Only they call it adderal. Maybe the tike just wants to improve his gpa.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
    #2576358 - 04/19/04 12:33 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

So all you speed users - what is this magical period that you say you've found where you can smoke speed without becoming addicted. Sounds like a myth to me :P. But if you do know it tell me cuz I'd sure like to know :smile:.

--------------------
]

Invisiblepsyphon
mneumatic device

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Kids on drugs - how to deal with it [Re: shriek]
    #2576457 - 04/19/04 01:05 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Trying to educate him about drugs or getting him to educate himself is great.

But...

If you really want to help him, you have to educate yourself about him.  And you might need to get his parents to do the same...in a non-threatening, non-condescending manner.

For example:
If he's trying to use the drugs to solve problems, he's never going to stop using them until those problems are actually solved. 

You need to find out if he would feel comfortable talking with you about both the drugs and why he uses them.  The real reasons why; not to be cool, and not the pre-fabricated answer he has for anyone who asks the question.  Make it clear that you really care and are truely interested in talking with him.
If he doesn't want to talk with you about why he uses them, find someone he will talk with.

A couple random things:
make sure you don't use the arguement "you're just a kid".  This will likely just reinforce his desire to do them since at least part of it probably relates to maturing, feeling or wanting to be more adult, etc.

tell him that you're not trying to convince him that drugs are bad or evil or that no one should do them, but rather that there are certain times, reasons, situations, etc. for using them.  Its all about the relationship one has with the drug.

And I'll also say have both he and the parents read Chocolate to Morphine, and tell them both that you'll do your best to answer any questions that might arise from their reading.

I hope this helps.  I think I have some more ideas once you find out the reason he uses.  I really think it's great that you are willing and want to help him and his parents.  :thumbup:

--------------------
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."
- Marcel Proust

I wish you all ceaselessly flowing moments of happiness.

InvisiblePhencyclidine
Molecule

#2576500 - 04/19/04 01:19 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Let the kid do the talking. Ask the kid why he wants to use drugs. If he's concerned about safety. What he knows about the drugs. See if the kid has answers to the hard questions.

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #2576665 - 04/19/04 02:34 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Ya I agree with what other people have said - I'd suggest talking to him and ask questions like the ones shriek suggested. Then educate him about the drugs in a factual non-dramatic manner. Tell him how to do the drugs safely in case he continues to use them. It can also be useful to let the person know how their behaviour is affecting other people - though it depends if that could be done amiably with this guy. You could maybe also ask him what he enjoys about using, what bothers him about using, what his long term goals are and how using fits in with his goals. Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done to make anyone give up drugs, so I would roll with it and leave yourself open as someone he can talk to if at a time in the future he needs someone.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

Loc: Bergen, Norway
Re: Kids on drugs - how to deal with it [Re: Wysefool]
    #2576746 - 04/19/04 04:31 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

BlackZombie said:
So all you speed users - what is this magical period that you say you've found where you can smoke speed without becoming addicted. Sounds like a myth to me :P. But if you do know it tell me cuz I'd sure like to know :smile:.

Well, I'm not a speed user, though I use speed once in a blue moon... I guess this just makes me a not-so-frequent speed user.  The first time I did it I was like, "oh shit, I've opened a door I'll never be able to shut, this is such a cool rush" you know... the good thing about speed though, is it gets worse and worse for every time you try it.  You'll want to do every weekend when you try it, but if you think about the consequences and now what you're in for you'll know how to use speed.  You shroomerites seem to put speed in the same category as crack and smack... its far from that bad, but its a bad thing to get hooked on if you do.

I guess the boy is using the drugs for no other reason than the fact that they are fun to use, just imagine how mind blowing it can be for a 14-year old.  Shriek, maybe sharing a spliff with him will alow him to trust you and get him to be more interested in talking with you, sharing a spliff with him and giving him the speech about the drugs that really can be very dangerous will really sink into his head, because he'll see you really do know whats bad and not and you're not just another guy saying "just say no - to everything".

--------------------
Magic mushrooms are not addictive, the shroomery is!

Invisibleshriek

Re: Kids on drugs - how to deal with it [Re: filthysock]
    #2577434 - 04/19/04 10:43 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

great answers here :smile: thanks

:heart: :sun: :thumbup:

OfflineRuNE
bomberman

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: tartarus
    #2577930 - 04/19/04 01:02 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Some great advice here!  :thumbup:

I think the important thing is that he came to you first. This gives you a huge upper hand as he looks up to you.  Make him feel good for doing this. 
Telling him he's smarter than his friends for using his brain would be a good idea. 
Treating him like a fellow adult would be your most valuable tool.
A comparison he could understand could also help...for example, fire. 
Fireworks are cool. Burning your house down and the skin off your face is not.  The difference is responsibility. 

Moderation should be a key subject.

Good luck!

:sun:

--------------------
~Happy sailing~

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #2577955 - 04/19/04 01:10 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Well first off , try to take it one step further than when you said" now i was younger myself when i started out so i remember well that age. no matter what my parents said i ignored it."
Remeber how at that age you knew it all , and none of the crap older generations had to say was worthless and in no way could apply to what "we" were going thru i.e peeer pressures , self searching for identity , caught between being a child and a young adult yadda yadda blah ? Well ...hopefully you do , and now hopefully you  see that it was not a bunch of BS , and figure out how to teach it to the next gen of kids .
Personally I would try to express" honestly" , how today I see where my mistakes were at starting to party with substances (does not matter what ... booze , acid , ganja,speed.......... ) at to early an age was a "BIG" mistake , and in no means was I mature , experienced enough to make the right choice . Life is short , but some things should wait ... "There is plenty of time for such things , get life in some order !"
Maybe even tell them that when they come of age 18 ( 21 IMO ) you will gladly show them and share all you can ! But until then focus on getting ready for life away from the protective wing of home !
I would love to be "youthfull" again , but only if I knew then , what I know now ! :wink:
Tough topic , good luck , when mine comes of age I'll look you up , and see how it went . :crazy:

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

Re: Kids on drugs - how to deal with it [Re: tripndicular]
    #2578005 - 04/19/04 01:22 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Good words there

--------------------

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
    #2578113 - 04/19/04 01:50 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
I'd much rather have my kid do pot and mushrooms than alcohol and cigarettes though.

I agree with the above statement completely ^^

It's a shame that alcohol is always perceived as less dangerous to your health by society simply because it is legal and is abused by people of all classes of society and people in political power etc. 
:nonono:

--------------------

Invisibleshriek

Re: Kids on drugs - how to deal with it [Re: abhi]
    #2582341 - 04/20/04 11:13 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

just for an update, this kid is coming over this weekend and are gonna help me put up a greenhouse for some money so im gonna talk to him then.  thanks again for all the good answers, i have a really good idea what to do, im gonna update this post after i met him and let ya know how thing went

again, thanks for great answers, they have been most helpful

:heart: :sun: :thumbup: :smile:

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

#2582354 - 04/20/04 11:15 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

shriek said:
im gonna update this post after i met him and let ya know how thing went

Do that, I'm curious to see how it goes.

What are you keeping in that greenhouse btw, he he he?

--------------------

Invisibleshriek

Re: Kids on drugs - how to deal with it [Re: filthysock]
    #2582358 - 04/20/04 11:16 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

hehe tomatoes and squash actually :smile:

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Re: Kids on drugs - how to deal with it [Re: psyphon]
    #2582964 - 04/20/04 01:12 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

psyphon said:
Trying to educate him about drugs or getting him to educate himself is great.

But...

If you really want to help him, you have to educate yourself about him.  And you might need to get his parents to do the same...in a non-threatening, non-condescending manner.

For example:
If he's trying to use the drugs to solve problems, he's never going to stop using them until those problems are actually solved. 

You need to find out if he would feel comfortable talking with you about both the drugs and why he uses them.  The real reasons why; not to be cool, and not the pre-fabricated answer he has for anyone who asks the question.  Make it clear that you really care and are truely interested in talking with him.
If he doesn't want to talk with you about why he uses them, find someone he will talk with.

A couple random things:
make sure you don't use the arguement "you're just a kid".  This will likely just reinforce his desire to do them since at least part of it probably relates to maturing, feeling or wanting to be more adult, etc.

tell him that you're not trying to convince him that drugs are bad or evil or that no one should do them, but rather that there are certain times, reasons, situations, etc. for using them.  Its all about the relationship one has with the drug.

And I'll also say have both he and the parents read Chocolate to Morphine, and tell them both that you'll do your best to answer any questions that might arise from their reading.

I hope this helps.  I think I have some more ideas once you find out the reason he uses.  I really think it's great that you are willing and want to help him and his parents.  :thumbup:

Best advice Yet!

I couldn't  have put it any better!

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Invisiblepsyphon
mneumatic device

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Kids on drugs - how to deal with it [Re: Ripple]
    #2589669 - 04/22/04 01:13 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Thank you! I really appreciate that  :smile:

--------------------
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."
- Marcel Proust

I wish you all ceaselessly flowing moments of happiness.

OfflineoDin
    #2589744 - 04/22/04 01:52 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

drive him down to the skid row and introduce him to a few examples of meth addicts. a pic is worth a 1000 words.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Kids on drugs - how to deal with it [Re: oDin]
    #2589747 - 04/22/04 01:53 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

:grin: I don't really think there is a skid row where Shriek lives...

--------------------

Invisibleshriek

Re: Kids on drugs - how to deal with it [Re: Krishna]
    #2589921 - 04/22/04 05:03 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

hehe you think correctly :smile:

OfflineoDin
    #2592615 - 04/22/04 08:43 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

dont you have an area where crackheads congregate to die?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder