Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShr0
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Pasteurization of wood pallets/saw dust
    #25924227 - 04/09/19 03:10 AM (5 years, 9 days ago)

Since TEKs about pasteurisation of wood pallets/saw dust had been posted +8 years ago I was wondering how do you prepare your spawn bags these days? What things do you do differently and what equipment is a must-have?

Edited by Shr0 (04/09/19 03:12 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBuster_Brown
L'une
Male User Gallery

Re: Pasteurization of wood pallets/saw dust [Re: Shr0]
    #25924259 - 04/09/19 04:22 AM (5 years, 9 days ago)

What you referring to? Do people actually reduce wooden pallets to sawdust/mulch?

OfflineBuster_Brown
L'une
Male User Gallery

Re: Pasteurization of wood pallets/saw dust [Re: Buster_Brown]
    #25924260 - 04/09/19 04:26 AM (5 years, 9 days ago)

Oh, you mean 'Pellets', LOL

OfflineShr0
Stranger

Re: Pasteurization of wood pallets/saw dust [Re: Buster_Brown]
    #25924495 - 04/09/19 07:43 AM (5 years, 9 days ago)

Ahh  :facepalm3:  yes I meant pellets*.

Offlineiwh678
Budget Mycologist
Male

Loc: USA
    #25924516 - 04/09/19 08:01 AM (5 years, 9 days ago)

I'm not sure what new information could come out about pasteurization that hasn't been around for ages. Its straightforward enough that there isn't much room for improvement.

Also I don't think its too common because if you're going to mess around with sawdust its worth your time to supplement. The only times I've considered pasteurizing HWFPs is when I'm making sawdust spawn, but even then I have been going with sterilizing.

There's nothing wrong with giving it a try if you don't access to a pressure cooker at the moment though.

OfflineShr0
Stranger

Re: Pasteurization of wood pallets/saw dust [Re: iwh678]
    #25924945 - 04/09/19 12:30 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

I have a pressure cooker but I can only put 1 bag at a time so I it's quite  time consuming to prepare 16 bags. That's why I have created this thread if you have any solution for this problem.

Offlinegww
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25924998 - 04/09/19 12:57 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

I am a brand new grower.  I mean new since only trying since xmas.  I am now just putting boiling water in the bag with hard wood pellets in a cooler.  I let them set for one hour and then let them cool and inoculate and just poke holes in the bag for air. 

Before this, I was pressure cooking for 2.5 hours for three 5 lbs bags.  Every single bag that I pressure cooked ended up getting green mold.

Pasteurizing has been a god send for me. 
I am very new and so take this with a grain of salt.
Cheers
gww

Offlineiwh678
Budget Mycologist
Male

Re: Pasteurization of wood pallets/saw dust [Re: gww]
    #25925076 - 04/09/19 01:43 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

For ~$70 you can get a pressure cooker that will hold 4 5 lbs bags. It is worth the investment. If you aren't supplementing your sawdust you aren't using it to its full potential.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #25925447 - 04/09/19 05:13 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

This is your solution...

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/25700858

You can me a smaller one if you don't need it that big. Time is money why waste time with a PC that will only do two 5 lb bags at the most. You will not find a PC that will do five 5 lb bags for $70. Spend another $100 and do it right.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25925452 - 04/09/19 05:17 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

gww said:
I am a brand new grower.  I mean new since only trying since xmas.  I am now just putting boiling water in the bag with hard wood pellets in a cooler.  I let them set for one hour and then let them cool and inoculate and just poke holes in the bag for air. 

Before this, I was pressure cooking for 2.5 hours for three 5 lbs bags.  Every single bag that I pressure cooked ended up getting green mold.

Pasteurizing has been a god send for me. 
I am very new and so take this with a grain of salt.
Cheers
gww

You are doing nothing with boiling water for an hour. You might as well just wet the fuel pellets and quit wasting that hour. If you are getting green mold after 2.5 hours of PCing you think you won't get mold after using boiling water. Do you think the PC is contaminating your sub? Check your spawn!!

Offlinegww
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Pasteurization of wood pallets/saw dust [Re: SHROOMSISAY01]
    #25925507 - 04/09/19 05:45 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

Shroom...
I am not boiling the water for and hour.  I am pouring boiling water over the pellets and letting them sit in a cooler for an hour.  It could have been bad spawn and I am starting from agar now.  I wonder though if it was just not happening when I was inoculating the bags in a still air box that is too small?  Either way, since I started just doing this, I have had fewer problems and less contamination.  I inoculate open air.

I am not supplementing with the normal wheat oat bran.  I have been supplementing with spent coffee grinds last one with chicken crap.  I am adding around a teaspoon of canning lime.  I lost about 10 bags that I sterilized.  I have only lost one bag like this and it was a dog food bag or something that I did not wash before adding the mix.  I am putting about 3/4 of a quart of seed spawn to about a five pound block.

I see you answering lots of questions on here and believe you know your stuff.  I know I don't and have worked through lots of issues and this is where I am now.  I have only had success with about four things and only on the pearl oyster. Some straw and some wood pellet.  I have several bags of kings that I have not got to pin yet and some phoenix that has not fruited.  Shiitaki all turned green but I have two bags that are good but have not browned yet.  I have thrown lots of stuff to the edge of the woods and have only just recently with this method got what seems to be good going.

I am reading and trying.  I was just glad to finally get a mushroom in the frying pan and this is what finally worked for me.  I was more just saying that and not trying to give advice.  That is why I pointed out how new I am.  I need advice given, not to offer some.
Thanks
gww

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25925644 - 04/09/19 07:08 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

gww said:
Shroom...
I am not boiling the water for and hour.  I am pouring boiling water over the pellets and letting them sit in a cooler for an hour.  It could have been bad spawn and I am starting from agar now.  I wonder though if it was just not happening when I was inoculating the bags in a still air box that is too small?  Either way, since I started just doing this, I have had fewer problems and less contamination.  I inoculate open air.

I am not supplementing with the normal wheat oat bran.  I have been supplementing with spent coffee grinds last one with chicken crap.  I am adding around a teaspoon of canning lime.  I lost about 10 bags that I sterilized.  I have only lost one bag like this and it was a dog food bag or something that I did not wash before adding the mix.  I am putting about 3/4 of a quart of seed spawn to about a five pound block.

I see you answering lots of questions on here and believe you know your stuff.  I know I don't and have worked through lots of issues and this is where I am now.  I have only had success with about four things and only on the pearl oyster. Some straw and some wood pellet.  I have several bags of kings that I have not got to pin yet and some phoenix that has not fruited.  Shiitaki all turned green but I have two bags that are good but have not browned yet.  I have thrown lots of stuff to the edge of the woods and have only just recently with this method got what seems to be good going.

I am reading and trying.  I was just glad to finally get a mushroom in the frying pan and this is what finally worked for me.  I was more just saying that and not trying to give advice.  That is why I pointed out how new I am.  I need advice given, not to offer some.
Thanks
gww

I don't want to take over this thread. So you can PM me if you need help with oysters. I would be glad to help if I can. Anyway, what I was saying is it takes many hours to kill the nasties that will contaminate your sub. I use a low-pressure steamer and I run it for 12 hours after it reaches 210F. A long time at a low temp (210F) is needed to kill what you don't want. Whether you are boiling for an hour or just pouring boiling water on it and letting it sit for an hour. Is doing absolutely nothing. If I was in your position I would 1st make sure you have clean spawn. Then I would do a bag a day In the PC. On the 2nd day you will PC and spawn the 1st bag because it should be cool by then. I just don't want to see you fighting an uphill battle that you will not win. Or just build a small steamer. I wish you the best of luck my friend. Like I said feel free to PM me if you want.

Offlineiwh678
Budget Mycologist
Male

#25925720 - 04/09/19 07:55 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000BYCFU/?coliid=I3K1NKETNPKH8B&colid=2K44SFRUDJY56&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

$76 and should hold 4 5 lbs bags. Recommending a hobby grower build a 55 gal steam sterilizer is pretty overboard...

OfflineMcGrimm
Professor of Peace

#25925768 - 04/09/19 08:21 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

:takingnotes:

--------------------
In Peace or Pieces we shall move forward.

Grimm

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25925841 - 04/09/19 09:06 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

iwh678 said:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000BYCFU/?coliid=I3K1NKETNPKH8B&colid=2K44SFRUDJY56&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

$76 and should hold 4 5 lbs bags. Recommending a hobby grower build a 55 gal steam sterilizer is pretty overboard...

Nope, that is the exact one I have. You buy it and explain to me how to get four 5 lb bags in there. I don't use it for sub but if I remember correctly I got 2 in it. 1st off you have to raise the bags off the bottom to be able to get enough water in the PC to run it. No way you will get 4 bags in there. If someone knows different please let me know. I could be wrong. Now that I think about it. I may have been doing much larger spawn bags. I am getting ready to do some bags right now. I will try and see if I can fit it in there.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #25925877 - 04/09/19 09:46 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

OK, I was mistaken (see my signature). Four 5 lb bags will fit. I think I was doing two 8 lbs bags of spawn and only two would fit. Anyway, iwh678 is 100% correct. I apologize for causing any confusion. It's been a long time since I used my PC for anything other than agar.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract