Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLotKid
Never.Trust.A.Prankster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shakedown St.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: pistachio shells for substrate? [Re: Stag]
    #25920545 - 04/07/19 01:10 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Look at the original post date... :super:

--------------------

:mushroom2: LotKid's PE Tips        :shpongle:    LotKid's Chocolates :mushroom2:
:dancingbear: :dancingbear:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStag
Stranger

Re: pistachio shells for substrate? [Re: LotKid]
    #25920562 - 04/07/19 01:35 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Yall have a good night!

Invisiblesgctactics
Doctorate in Ghetto-Rigging
Male

Loc: Land of 2 million ponds
Re: pistachio shells for substrate? [Re: Stag] * 1
    #25924619 - 04/09/19 09:09 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Stag said:
Why are so many people set on using formulas that are proven to not be beneficial? It seems like the last couple weeks here there have been so many "noob" questions/mid grows from people trying to use sterilized manure and straw for Cubensis substrates. All they have to show for are contaminates.

Gentlemen, never before in your life have you ever had the opportunity to so easily talk to the people who know what the fuck is going on. Prepping Coir and only pure Coir is so easy!

Wow, has it really been over 8 years since I first posted this?..
First off, look at the previous posts. Back before I had kids when I used to grow (goes to show how long it's been since I've been on here, lol), rarely did anyone just shoot off a snide remark for someone trying something different or new. It was always encouraging the creative, as so many of the methods, even the ones that are now tried and true, were still experimental.
It's simply the product of a spark of inspiration: in this case, "hey, I have a ton of pistachio shells, I wonder what I could do with them besides just throwing em away." It had nothing to do with going against the grain, just a half baked thought that may or may not have had something going for itself. I used coir and coffee grounds almost religiously, but never stopped doing little side experiments while I had the space and time to do them, cause you never know.

I'm assumimg, based on the number of posts you have, that you're just a know it all jackass that doesn't really have experience to back it up, and that you're an exception to the rule for this forum. I hope that is the case, since I loved the environment here when I was in that phase of my life and feel it's necessary for such a relatively small community to be encouraging and supportive. If I was still growing, I'd still be here.

I went from growing half a dozen pf cakes to a small gourmet grow op to supply restaurants in the twin cities, funded by a single cube print and a couple years of experience thanks to this forum. (End of inspirational shit talking, lol)

So a long overdue update: I tried em, and first off, they are a PITA to crush, let alone consistently. In all my experiments, 100% shells failed, so it's obviously not a standalone substrate. No surprise there.... They didn't really show much of an impact for cubes, besides maybe for loosening up a dense substrate. As for wood lovers, they definitely were being broken down, but beyond slowly compared to wood due to its density and lack of pores. I had a hard time with moisture content, it was kind of like adding coarse sand to the mix, able to hold moisture between the grains but not actually absorbing it to an appreciable extent.
That said, obviously it wouldn't do as a bulk component of the substrate, but it could have potential for an adjunct, and certainly doesn't cause any harm at worst. Most notably if you have a particularly dense substrate that isn't loose enough for proper gas exchange, similar to adding pearlite or calcined clay, with the benefit of having at least more organic matter compared to the latter options. All in all though, it's more about having a free alternative bulking source on hand than going out and spending a ton of money on pistachios if you don't like them. That is unless you need an excuse for the ole lady to buy an absurd amount of em for you, it worked great for that! lol

I hope this officially puts this forum post to rest, or maybe even spark more (helpful!) response from others. In any case, happy shrooming!

--------------------
Cat's foot iron claw,
Neuro-surgeons scream for more,
At paranoia's poison door,
Twenty-first century schizoid man.
-King Crimson
Chemist n.(slang) a failed gardener, fixated on the blender diet

Offlinepoisoned
untitled
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Yurop
Re: pistachio shells for substrate? [Re: sgctactics]
    #25924681 - 04/09/19 09:43 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Why did you crush them down tho?

--------------------
How I do glass dishes

InvisibleLotKid
Never.Trust.A.Prankster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shakedown St.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: pistachio shells for substrate? [Re: poisoned]
    #25924870 - 04/09/19 11:40 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Holy shit!!! What are the fucking odds of the OP just popping back in to discover a recently revived thread from way back when?!?! :oldman:

The "climate" around here ain't what it used to be... I agree 100%.

Hence my absences from time to time. :wink:

--------------------

:mushroom2: LotKid's PE Tips        :shpongle:    LotKid's Chocolates :mushroom2:
:dancingbear: :dancingbear:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate