Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHeyowana
Hex10 line2
 User Gallery

Re: ** NSW 2019 Actives only & Discussion Thread ** ☆ADD LINK TO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: pineninja]
    #25911037 - 04/02/19 06:58 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

True and thanks. I'm an asshole about subs. I agree with what you once said about how they can sneak up on you. Strongest phenos I found would be about a third mycelium up the stipe. Attached to a big bluish mat of mycelium. Intensely bitter.

They seemed to grow where the creek had flooded then receeded.
In Sydney with all the roads it didnt take much rain for that to happen.

Used to find subs with an olive green cap on the compost piles of sticks in the creek. Often they were that colour before they had opened. Always had a super skinny stem. They tasted foul but sure would rev me up.

Then of course there were those other things I've mentioned before. Hands down the strongest weirdest tripping ones I've encountered. Stems thick like a Boletus. Caps with less gills than a sub. Which would detach easily when handled. Stem looked like a fat little blue tree trunk. Caps were always small sitting on top of that stem.

I wonder what they were. I call them P.cyanescens because they grew near a Rhododendron and Azalea garden. They looked nothing like subs. Their effect was so different as well.

I dont think anybody would handle them past 3g dried. The initial meltdown effect was too strong. Frightening being paralysed and stuck to the ground as soon as they kicked in at the hour mark usually.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAzzA
Blue Meanie Smokin Weedy
 User Gallery

Loc: Space
Re: ** NSW 2019 Actives only & Discussion Thread ** ☆ADD LINK TO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Heyowana]
    #25911679 - 04/02/19 01:44 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Heyowana said:
Ranting can be fun. I'm full of it lately. A nice cold southerly wind blowing up a south facing valley will encourage subs to fruit.
=====
Sydney subs werent the same as mountain subs effects wise. Didnt matter how many mountain subs were consumed. They were weaker and less psychedelic than Sydney ones.

:whathesaid:
Strange but so true!
=======
Everyone remember that tip!
; Southernly directed valley's.

OfflineHeyowana
Hex10 line2
 User Gallery

Re: ** NSW 2019 Actives only & Discussion Thread ** ☆ADD LINK TO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: AzzA]
    #25912371 - 04/02/19 09:15 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks. With the chill in the air P.s.zap are diminishing rapidly. They were thick in a small area approx 12x3 feet. This was where water had run down from a log dump on a hill and pooled in a ditch.

Papuana are starting to fruit there out in the open now. Found two large papuana down a valley two days ago. Super strong taste with that papuana tang.

No sign of subs yet but I dont think it will be long before they fruit.

OfflineAzzA
Blue Meanie Smokin Weedy
 User Gallery

Loc: Space
Re: ** NSW 2019 Actives only & Discussion Thread ** ☆ADD LINK TO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Heyowana]
    #25912780 - 04/03/19 04:51 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

:wink:

OfflineDreamWithin
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: ** NSW 2019 Actives only & Discussion Thread ** ☆ADD LINK TO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Dreamworks]
    #25913693 - 04/03/19 01:39 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the tips. Have been looking in pine plantations and so forth. Are there indicator species such as Saffron Milkcaps and Amanitas that share the same temperature and growing conditions?

OfflineHeyowana
Hex10 line2
 User Gallery

Re: ** NSW 2019 Actives only & Discussion Thread ** ☆ADD LINK TO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: DreamWithin] * 1
    #25913936 - 04/03/19 04:08 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Amanita muscaria and milk caps often appear before the sub season starts in the mountains. Weather can be much too hot for subs and you'll find them. Along with those slippery jack boletus.

In woodchip and bark piles Leraticymes ceres - sorry if the spelling is wrong can be an indicator species for subs. They have a reddish cap and stain green. Where I live Hypholoma species are often fruiting heavily around sub time.

I think its just finding the right section of pineforest to look. Pines that are old and bigger offer a better microsystem for subs to fruit. Also around the older growth stands of pines there are more fallen branches and debris on the ground offering a suitable habitat for subs.

If you arent finding any and it seems cold and wet enough look in shadier locations and you might find some. Good luck.

OfflineBlazingGoat

#25914891 - 04/04/19 05:22 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah I was excited to see my first Leraticymes ceres of the season the other day as I've seen it grow alongside subs

--------------------
Yeah it's the gateway drug, fuckin' oath, gateway to your mind.

Offlineaspenwallposter
Stranger
Re: ** NSW 2019 Actives only & Discussion Thread ** ☆ADD LINK TO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: BlazingGoat]
    #25914911 - 04/04/19 05:40 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Anybody had any luck around Riverina/Wagga Wagga area in previous seasons? I'm guessing it wouldn't be until around August or so but I was just interested in what areas would be worth checking out specifically.

OfflineDreamworks
Shroom
 User Gallery

#25916668 - 04/05/19 12:26 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Do any of those species you mentioned not fruit during a time that subs will be around? Could give us a better idea if we're going too early in the season. I.e. if we couldn't find those abundant Amanita muscaria it would indicate a decent climate for subs.

--------------------

Offlineongo gablogian
out to lunch
I'm a teapot

Loc: Australia Flag
Re: ** NSW 2019 Actives only & Discussion Thread ** ☆ADD LINK TO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Dreamworks]
    #25916892 - 04/05/19 05:42 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Down in Victoria I have found Amanita Muscaria and subs in quite close proximity to each other in the winter.

--------------------
the artist formerly known as pepe silvia

OfflineHeyowana
Hex10 line2
 User Gallery

Re: ** NSW 2019 Actives only & Discussion Thread ** ☆ADD LINK TO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: ongo gablogian]
    #25917005 - 04/05/19 07:20 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

You'll probably hate my answer Dreamworks. Look for subs and don't worry about indicator species. Look in a variety of areas. I know sometimes it would seem dead subwise. Then walk down a gully and there they are. Case of tuning into where they like to fruit and when.

Might sound too ambiguous but they dont play by our rules. We learn to adapt.

When I first started hunting for mushrooms I'd be unhappy if I couldnt find them when I wanted to.Over time acceptance became the key. Like going with the flow. Often lack of expectations and trying to stay in the present can have great rewards when hunting.

Its like we are receiving subtle cues all the time from nature but our preoccupation with thought and expectations closes the door.We really are magical beings. The world we live in is full of magic. The key is within us. Just let go and go with the flow.

Too esoteric or too simple? Not very scientific I guess!

OfflineDreamworks
Shroom
 User Gallery

Re: ** NSW 2019 Actives only & Discussion Thread ** ☆ADD LINK TO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Heyowana] * 1
    #25920174 - 04/06/19 08:47 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

You've been very helpful Heyowana. Feel like after only an hour of looking I became more attuned to their characteristics and the kinds of habitats they like. Your explanation was plenty helpful and insightful.

Shame I couldn't figure out the focus when I took this.

--------------------

OfflineRisk Breaker
Amateur Horticulturalist

Re: ** NSW 2019 Actives only & Discussion Thread ** ☆ADD LINK TO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Dreamworks] * 1
    #25921881 - 04/07/19 07:30 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

I scouted an area that I had walked by many times on my hunts last year (pine forest), I read in this thread and from other sources that southerly facing hillsides are likely places to find subaeruginosa, boy was I surprised when I hauled in over 3 jars of mature mushrooms, from a single hillside, including this giant of a specimen.

I cannot thank the people in this thread and the shroomery community enough for the insight and knowledge that has propelled me into a new stage of life. I am eternally grateful. Bet of luck everyone.

InvisiblebobwastakenS
under construction
 User Gallery

Loc: SA
Re: ** NSW 2019 Actives only & Discussion Thread ** ☆ADD LINK TO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Risk Breaker] * 1
    #25921983 - 04/07/19 08:43 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Great to see the finds coming in for NSW. Gorgeous specimens Dreamworks and RiskBreaker. Still can't believe how early your season starts in NSW. I can totally believe late February as a start to the sub season over there.

All sub finds I made in mid march were around 1000m elevation. From Coffs Harbour to Bega. Indicator species for subs would be any temperate species fruiting. Hunting immediately after a heavy rain event can be misleading as it's difficult to detect the microclimates. Areas which have been damp for weeks are obscured by the superficial dunk. The absense of mushrooms or a scrape of the ground tells the story.

Heyowana, congrats on your discovery of a species in section zapotecorum in oz. Quite a hoot. It's also fascinating to note the differences in trip quality of the new species to P.papuana. I also love to read about your experiences and knowledge on hunting species in NSW.

The P.papuana finds and the undescribed species were found Between Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour. The trio were growing amongst subs at high altitude. Quite cold at the time I was there (10-20c night/day) Other undescribed specimens were found below 1000m. https://mushroomobserver.org/361911

OfflineHeyowana
Hex10 line2
 User Gallery

Re: ** NSW 2019 Actives only & Discussion Thread ** ☆ADD LINK TO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: bobwastaken]
    #25922133 - 04/07/19 10:29 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Excellent news.They look very exotic in that bunch on MO. My subaeruginosa ID was way off.

The P.sect.Zapotecorum I was finding are never deeply rooted. Their bluing is more typical of other species. It was a surprise when DNA said they were in that section.

There might be a couple of new species from your photos and mine.
That would be a hoot. List of species found in nsw is getting longer and longer. Hooray.

OfflineBagbalm
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25922288 - 04/08/19 01:12 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Hiya.

Sydney Newbie, long story, older reader, not up for running from farmers :-). My first season, for medical reasons. on the hunt.

Been reading up, read the forum rules etc. Wish me luck.

e telling you all I'm a bit nervous about it...but this could be something important. I dunno. Anyway. Happy hunting to you all.

OfflineGoldenHead
Stranger
Re: ** NSW 2019 Actives only & Discussion Thread ** ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: AzzA]
    #25923472 - 04/08/19 04:18 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Hello fellow trippers,

This is my first post, very delighted.

I'm currently around the Sydney area. Want to plan a weekend camping trip with some hopeful picking. Can anyone suggest some areas north of Sydney?

OfflineHeyowana
Hex10 line2
 User Gallery

Re: ** NSW 2019 Actives only & Discussion Thread ** ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: GoldenHead]
    #25923500 - 04/08/19 04:38 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

You'd probably be better off waiting 3-4 wks. Then search around metropolitan Sydney for subaeruginosa. A lot of the creeks on the north shore and west out to Pennant hills through to Galston have them.

Especially the upper reaches of creeks in these areas. Look in wandering jew along creeks where sticks have been caught when the creeks have flooded. Underneath any lantana close to a creek. Around bracken fern on the downhill side close to creeks. In piles of sticks caught up in the creek course.

Avoid any area with sandy soil. Dries out too fast for a good sub habitat. Just need a bit of rain end of this month and the subaeruginosa should start to fruit.

Edited by Heyowana (04/08/19 04:41 PM)

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: ** NSW 2019 Actives only & Discussion Thread ** ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: GoldenHead] * 2
    #25923622 - 04/08/19 05:49 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

GoldenHead said:
Hello fellow trippers,

This is my first post, very delighted.

I'm currently around the Sydney area. Want to plan a weekend camping trip with some hopeful picking. Can anyone suggest some areas north of Sydney?

Welcome to the shroomery!!!
Please read or reread the rules, no asking for hunting partners or locations for obvious reasons.

I recommend that you hang around and get to know people, then you can ask those things in private messages, but keep it out of the threads,  thank you and please don't think I'm trying to be a dick, I'm not.

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Offlinestaticc
Stranger
Re: ** NSW 2019 Actives only & Discussion Thread ** ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Doc9151]
    #25923927 - 04/08/19 08:56 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Hi guys, brand new hunter here. I’m thinking of heading to Belanglo or Oberon this weekend to look for subs. Trouble is, its been dry and warmer all this week. Would it be a hopeless endeavour looking at those spots?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder