Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous

north korean train wreck
    #2591899 - 04/22/04 06:52 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

they estimate 3000 dead
they have shut up shop to stop international embarrassment,i thought communism was dead?
what a horrible place it must be!
something really needs to be done about this other axis of evil?
civil libers.....what do you reckon,mind our own business?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: north korean train wreck [Re: ]
    #2591917 - 04/22/04 06:58 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

It would help if you provided a link. As for dealing with North Korea, it's hard to say what we should do. I think that unlike Iraq, they really are a threat to our nation's security(at least as long as Kim Jong Il is in power), but I think they're so much of a threat that we'd be taking an even bigger risk by attacking them. And if we did attack them, we'd better hope to God that China doesn't come to their aid, or we'll be looking at World War III. So in the meantime, I'd prefer not to let this Cold War turn hot.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlinestew248
Stranger

Re: north korean train wreck [Re: silversoul7]
    #2591919 - 04/22/04 07:00 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

We are already in the start of world war 3. It just hasn't reached boiling point yet.

--------------------

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male

Loc: The Garden State(NJ)
    #2591949 - 04/22/04 07:11 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Yea, no WMD's there. No oil either!

--------------------
"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

Anonymous

#2591956 - 04/22/04 07:13 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

sorry man havent got a link,i just watched it last night on foxnews.

yeah i hear what your saying about shortening the fuse thats already lit,but by the antics of their leader(he's a true madman)it's inevitable.

a few months ago when they kicked the UN out over that nuclear stuff,one of his aids was interviewed on our current affairs and he said if we(australia)continued manouvres in international waters they would nuke us.it fizzled out like a cheap chinese firecracker but
they are actually holding a gun to the worlds head and saying "feed us and give us oil or we will nuke you"
I also think china would help them like in the korean war too.

stews hit the nail on the head i think when he says WW3 has already begun.
god help us all!

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2591987 - 04/22/04 07:22 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I agree that Kim Jong Il is a madman, but I don't think he's stupid. I don't think he really wants a piece of us. Ok, maybe he WANTS a piece of us, but I think he's smart enough to know that that could mean nuclear war, and we have way more nukes than him. I think he's well aware of the fact that we could blow up his whole country in a second, and doesn't want that. Sometimes I think he's all talk and no walk.

I wonder how he views Bush. On the one hand, maybe he views him as a crazy cowboy with an itchy trigger-finger, or on the other hand, he might see him as a wuss who goes after countries like Iraq because he's too afraid to face a real threat.

--------------------

Offlinestew248
Stranger

#2592010 - 04/22/04 07:27 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think Korea can even reach us with there missles. The worst they could do is hit japan, south korea, or any other friends in the area. Our missles could be landing in N. Korea in 20 minutes. The thing you gotta worry about is the safety of S. Korea and Japan. I don't see China coming to the aid of north korea in a nuclear war. But it would be terrible if japan got nuked off the map.

--------------------

Anonymous

#2592016 - 04/22/04 07:28 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Up to 3,000 killed or hurt in Korea train wreck
Secretive nation declares state of emergency, cuts international telephone lines
Associated Press

SEOUL, South Korea -- Two fuel trains collided at a North Korean railroad station near the Chinese border today, igniting a deafening explosion that rained debris for more than 10 miles around, South Korean media reported. One television channel said as many as 3,000 people might have been killed or injured.

The secretive communist government in Pyongyang declared an emergency while cutting off international telephone lines to prevent details of the crash from leaking out, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported.

The North Korean leader, Kim Jong Il, had quietly passed by rail through the station as he returned from China before dawn some nine hours earlier. It was not clear what caused the crash, or if it was related to Kim's journey.

But a South Korean official, quoted on condition of anonymity by South Korea's all-news cable channel, YTN, said it appeared to be an accident.

The collision reportedly took place about 1 p.m. in Ryongchon, a town 12 miles from China. One train was carrying oil and the second had liquefied petroleum gas, media reported.

"The area around Ryongchon station has turned into ruins as if it were bombarded," Yonhap quoted witnesses as saying. "Debris from the explosion soared high into the sky and drifted to Sinuiju," a North Korean town on the border with China, it said.

Cho Sung-dae, a Yonhap correspondent in Beijing, said his reports were based on residents in the Chinese border city of Dandong who talked with their relatives in Ryongchon.

They described a massive explosion involving a large number of casualties but could not give figures, Cho told The Associated Press. Cho also said North Korean authorities appeared to shut down the border with China after the incident.

Subsequent attempts by his Chinese sources to contact people in Ryongchon failed because the phone lines apparently had been severed.

YTN reported that the number killed or injured could reach 3,000. A YTN reporter in Seoul, speaking on condition of anonymity, told AP the network's casualty count came from a South Korean government official, whom he declined to identify.

A South Korean Defense Ministry official confirmed "a large explosion near Ryongchon station," Yonhap reported. "We have yet to find out the cause of the incident, the kind of explosion and how many died," the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Yang Jong-hwa, a spokeswoman of South Korea's Unification Ministry, said her organization could not immediately confirm the reports; the ministry is in charge of relations with North Korea. The Defense Ministry could not comment, and the Foreign Ministry could immediately be reached.

U.S. State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said the Bush administration had no information on the collision.

The accident apparently resembled a disaster in Iran on Feb. 18, when runaway train cars carrying fuel and chemicals derailed, setting off explosions that destroyed five villages. At least 200 people were killed.

North Korea is one of the world's most isolated countries and rarely allows visits by outside journalists. News events within its borders are difficult to confirm independently, and the state-controlled media is unlikely to provide quick confirmation of such an accident.

The communist country's infrastructure is dilapidated and accident-prone. Its passenger cars are usually packed with people, and defectors say trains are seldom punctual and frequently break down.

Sometimes, trains are stranded for hours at stations until their electricity supply is restored enabling them to continue, some defectors say.

The trunk line on which today's accident reportedly occurred, the main rail link between China and North Korea, was first laid during the Japanese occupation more than 60 years ago.

YTN reported that the casualties included Chinese living in the North Korean border region, and that Chinese in Dandong -- a bustling industrial city on Yalu River -- were desperate to learn about their relatives. Chinese and North Korean traders frequently cross the border at Dandong.

Some of the injured were evacuated to hospitals in Dandong, it said.

Kim rarely leaves North Korea and when he does takes a special train -- reportedly armored and a gift to his father from Stalin -- because he is known to have a fear of flying.

North Korea's state-run news agency today confirmed that Kim made a secretive trip to China on Monday through Wednesday, but carried no comments on the reported explosion.

China, which also confirmed Kim's visit, is North Korea's last major ally, and the countries' ruling communist parties boast of close ties. But while China's experiments with capitalism have transformed it into an economic dynamo, North Korea suffers chronic food shortages and depends on its larger neighbor for aid.

Kim met with President Hu Jintao and other Chinese leaders and agreed to "push ahead" with a peaceful resolution to the standoff over its nuclear weapons programs, the North's official KCNA news agency and central television network reported earlier today.

The broadcast added that Kim said his government "will continue to be patient and flexible and actively participate in the process of six-nation talks and contribute to making progress at the talks."

The comments were likely to be encouraging to the United States and other countries, who want China to use its leverage as North Korea's leading supplier of food and energy aid to get the country to disarm.

Washington wants Pyongyang to dismantle its nuclear facilities, but North Korea has said it doesn't trust the United States not to invade and wants a security guarantee.

The last round of six-nation talks -- involving China, the two Koreas, the United States, Japan and Russia -- ended in February in Beijing without a settlement.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2523601

Offlinestew248
Stranger

Re: north korean train wreck [Re: stew248]
    #2592023 - 04/22/04 07:31 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Its in everyones best interest for this NOT to go nuclear. But if it did, we'd win. If we press N. Korea militarly it will definantly go nuclear. China is smarter then that. There leaders are sane enough to know that no one wins in a nuclear Holocaust.

--------------------

Anonymous

#2592028 - 04/22/04 07:33 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

yep on the news they were saying shutting shop to international aid for this trainwreck could backfire on him and cause rebellion amongst their people,(i'm thinking tinnamon(sp?)square massacre all over again) because they will cover up how the accident was caused and the people who already must be miserable will finally blow a fuse.
I've seen a couple of docos on north korea and one thing i noticed is that none of the people look happy

Offlinegermin8tionn8ion
enthusiast
    #2592334 - 04/22/04 09:36 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Add this to the growing list of "Things that are bad about North Korea"

A cool explosion like that and NO FOOTAGE is allowed. PPV could carry a collision like that and send the procedes to the NKoreans

OfflineSuperLazy
As lazy as theycome

#2592809 - 04/22/04 11:40 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'm no expert in this field man but I would stake everything I own that China would not come to their aid. The days of the Korean War are over, I just don't think it would happen. I hope i'm right.

--------------------
" Don't ration your compassion " - unknown

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
    #2593114 - 04/23/04 01:01 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

"The North Korean leader, Kim Jong Il, had quietly passed by rail through the station as he returned from China before dawn some nine hours earlier. It was not clear what caused the crash, or if it was related to Kim's journey. "

"North Korea's state-run news agency on Thursday confirmed that Kim made a secretive trip to China on Monday through Wednesday, but carried no comments on the reported explosion. "
------ from yahoo news

the above article did not mention that kim jong Il had passed through the location of the explosion 9 hours before after a meeting in china from monday to wednesday. if one was to view this as an assisination attempt that went afoul, it would bring the question of what the meeting in china was all about.

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2595130 - 04/23/04 04:01 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

How come the original death toll was 3,000 and now it's 24?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Loose Enz - The Black Door

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: north korean train wreck [Re: Learyfan]
    #2595250 - 04/23/04 04:39 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
How come the original death toll was 3,000 and now it's 24?

Silly fella. From a mush post....
Up to 3,000 killed or hurt in Korea train wreck

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleJohan Shultz
no title

Loc: UTOPIA
Re: north korean train wreck [Re: stew248]
    #2595750 - 04/23/04 07:10 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

stew248 said:
... There leaders are sane enough to know that no one wins in a nuclear Holocaust.

do you really think they think so?:)  do you think so?  :headbang:

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: north korean train wreck [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2595892 - 04/23/04 08:30 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I wonder if we (the U.S.) did the bombing.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: north korean train wreck [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2595902 - 04/23/04 08:32 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

what the hell kind of question is that?

yes we did, and yes bush knew about it.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2595920 - 04/23/04 08:39 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

If we ever do something like that I'd rather we sent a sniper than a bomber.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if Kim blamed it on us whether we did it or not. I also wouldn't be surprised if he set it up himself in order to blame us for it.

Come to think of it, I can't think of anything that would surprise me.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: north korean train wreck [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2595992 - 04/23/04 09:13 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Come to think of it, I can't think of anything that would surprise me.

I'd be surprised if Nader won the election.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion