Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinedrspastic
the good doctor
 User Gallery

Loc: bulgaria
BULK corn peroxide! help me!
    #25915222 - 04/04/19 11:44 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

hi all, not posted here a long time.

I have played around and had success with many teks but now I am in a new situation that I hope someone can help with. please don't post to tell me it can't be done.

I have a about 100kg of corn from last year and no longer need it for livestock.

yesterday I simmered 10 kg that had beed soaked 24 hours.

as I strained and rinsed it i sprayed peroxide on. strong stuff! just a light mist. then bagged it and put in a cool place. im now out buying a sack of gypsum, and have a sack of lime.

I have a clean colonised cake that I intend to put into a blender to make slurry for inoculation. will add a drop of peroxide.

the corn will be used as spawn on bulk substrate.

I am in Europe so pressure cooker is tiny compared to USA version canners.

so please any advice on tek or quantities of gyps/lime, further parturisation, extra peroxide, or whatever advice.

I have no other use for the corn so failure is an option, and I have never cultivated on the scale i am planning.

--------------------
did you eat all that acid? you better pray to god there's some thorazine in that bag.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMr. Funguy
Quasi Frodo
Male User Gallery

Loc: Terra
Re: BULK corn peroxide! help me! [Re: drspastic]
    #25915236 - 04/04/19 11:51 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Sounds good. I'd stray away from the peroxide though. A good soak then boil will take care of any bacteria. Try steam pasteurizing, might work in your case.

--------------------

InvisibleMunchauzen
Mushroom Maharaja
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: BULK corn peroxide! help me! [Re: drspastic] * 3
    #25915237 - 04/04/19 11:52 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Don't use any peroxide. It has ZERO use in mycology.

OfflineUncleHoyphae
Curious noob
I'm a teapot

Loc: Vietnam Flag
Re: BULK corn peroxide! help me! [Re: Munchauzen]
    #25915286 - 04/04/19 12:23 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

No need to use h202 for future sterilisation but don't worry about that batch you already cooked up as the h202 will decompose to water and oxygen when you pc it.

Offlinedrspastic
the good doctor
 User Gallery

Re: BULK corn peroxide! help me! [Re: UncleHoyphae]
    #25917297 - 04/05/19 12:27 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

once again I don't want to pc it. that would take all week.

I am interested in the reasons h2o2 is a no. there are lots of threads on lots of forums. just not with corn.

and how do large commercial growers do it? I know some have massive steam rooms, but mushrooms have been grown a long time and there must be some older technology that was used.

how about in the wild? happily growing on poo riddled with insects and worms.
is there a beneficial bacteria that protects the fungus in the wild?

--------------------
did you eat all that acid? you better pray to god there's some thorazine in that bag.

OfflinemushboyM
Moooshboy?
 User Gallery

Loc: better trashcan
Trusted Cultivator
    #25917304 - 04/05/19 12:33 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

drspastic said:
as I strained and rinsed it i sprayed peroxide on. strong stuff! just a light mist. then bagged it and put in a cool place.

mold farm.

you can steam grains for 12+ hours but you can not put peroxide on wet food and expect it to be fine.

Offlinedrspastic
the good doctor
 User Gallery

#25917305 - 04/05/19 12:33 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

ps. just cut a 1"*2"*4" slice of cake and put in clean blender.
boiled a pint or so of rain water with a spoon of lime and spoon of gypsum.
just waiting for it to cool.
will blend all together, not too much and dose into ten bags, and leave one as a control

--------------------

InvisibleBuck513
    #25917310 - 04/05/19 12:36 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Peroxide:burke:

This guy uses a drum sterilizer and says it takes 1-2 weeks for it to cool down if it was left on its own.

--------------------
Fail to plan and you plan to fail.

Enter the Ban Lottery

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #25917330 - 04/05/19 12:48 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

drspastic said:
once again I don't want to pc it. that would take all week.

I am interested in the reasons h2o2 is a no. there are lots of threads on lots of forums. just not with corn.

and how do large commercial growers do it? I know some have massive steam rooms, but mushrooms have been grown a long time and there must be some older technology that was used.

how about in the wild? happily growing on poo riddled with insects and worms.
is there a beneficial bacteria that protects the fungus in the wild?

Yes old technology. They had steam boilers back in 1800s so yes steam sterilization is old tech.

Peroxide is basically useless. Wont kill everything. Some microorganisms will actually just degrade it into water and oxygen. Peroxide strong enough concentration to be useful at sanitizing/sterilizing would dissolve your corn.

--------------------
Everything you need in one spot.

My Q&A thread. Ask me questions here rather than in Private Message
Bod's chat thread
Buy Bod a beer:
BTC: 1G7roCpYmNp4VqnKySQeBkaFTc7JMzKLpL
ETH: 0x2091cE981af8129986C50AC0818e1aCA76076768
DOGE: DQNyGtUNHwYUrGECag1VRmMcf6QVeTY4V1

Offlinedrspastic
the good doctor
 User Gallery

Re: BULK corn peroxide! help me! [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25917498 - 04/05/19 02:30 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

true. my peroxide is 60% just below the level for rocket fuel. i diluted to 10% and it still bleach fingers and hurt.
mushroom spawn is definitely the major organism in the bags now, even if i have contams. maybe it will dominate and kill contams. the grandmother's around here do jars of fruit veg and meat boiled in a massive pot for 2 hours. they are contamination free still after many years.

also, is there a way to make substrate/spawn less attractive to bacteria without affecting mycelium?

--------------------

OfflineGeinstein
Shroomery addict
Male

Re: BULK corn peroxide! help me! [Re: Buck513]
    #25917529 - 04/05/19 02:49 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Buck513 said:
Peroxide:burke:

This guy uses a drum sterilizer and says it takes 1-2 weeks for it to cool down if it was left on its own.

Talking as someone who's got something similar I can sort of see it
Maybe not 2 weeks but one week for 10 pound bags I can see that.

Any who when doing grain one quart jars it takes more then 24 hours to cool down
And when doing 4 quart substrate bags it can take 2-3 days to cool down
And this is pasteurizing the bags in there not sterilizing like you'd do with his blocks or with grain

So ye can definitely see it taking that long

OfflineLand Trout
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: BULK corn peroxide! help me! [Re: Geinstein]
    #25917610 - 04/05/19 03:26 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

The reason bacteria and molds grow on grain is the same reason the fungus grows on grain, sugars.  Are you growing cubes?  or other dung loving species?  Mushroom cultivation has been around for a long time, but those are hardy species where you could take a wild fruit body and just put it in some straw or wood shavings and they could colonize quickly on things that don't grow molds as well.  Cubes are different.

--------------------

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #25917663 - 04/05/19 03:49 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

drspastic said:
true. my peroxide is 60% just below the level for rocket fuel. i diluted to 10% and it still bleach fingers and hurt.
mushroom spawn is definitely the major organism in the bags now, even if i have contams. maybe it will dominate and kill contams. the grandmother's around here do jars of fruit veg and meat boiled in a massive pot for 2 hours. they are contamination free still after many years.

also, is there a way to make substrate/spawn less attractive to bacteria without affecting mycelium?

Mushroom spawn doesn't dominate contamination and mycelium next to contamination very best case lowers yields

Sterile technique is what you need not some corner cut to make spawn less attractive to bacteria.

--------------------

Bod's chat thread
Buy Bod a beer:

Offlinedrspastic
the good doctor
 User Gallery

#25920778 - 04/07/19 09:28 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

seems amazing then that cubes exist in the wild living on a lump of shit. I guess nobody told them they can only exist in a laboratory. lol!

seriously though there must be some way the ecosystem around wild cubes favor them.. in many filthy parts of the world (not meant as a slur, but much heat humidity and disease) they are hardly rare.

--------------------

OfflineLand Trout
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#25920817 - 04/07/19 10:00 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

It’s he grain man, if you hydrate that corn and set it outside it will mold, if you bag it it will Mold.  If you jar it and sterilize it in a canner and open it for a couple seconds in a room or outside it will grow mold, and cubes do not do well with these molds.  The peroxide doesn’t clean them effectively.  If you have grain your just going to throw away anyway go ahead and try what your planning, it’s been tried before, but that’s how I learn too.  But I would recommend feeding it to animales, or planting it, maybe you could do what your thinking and grow oysters on it, but I still think you would be better off feeding it to a chicken and then eating it.

--------------------

Invisiblewaves

Re: BULK corn peroxide! help me! [Re: drspastic] * 1
    #25920832 - 04/07/19 10:13 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

drspastic said:
seems amazing then that cubes exist in the wild living on a lump of shit. I guess nobody told them they can only exist in a laboratory. lol!

You are joking, right?

Piles of cow shit in a field in the tropics and a bag full of corn/H202 are not comparable in any way at all.

Those are two completely different microbial environments that have absolutely nothing in common besides the fact that they both contain grain.

Growing mushrooms in sterile conditions is completely and totally different than wild mushrooms growing in cow shit—a very specific ecological niche that they have evolved to survive in over millions of years.

Cow shit may not be sterile, but that doesn't mean you can just inoculate contaminated grain spawn and expect the mushrooms to thrive.

Not sure how else to explain that.

Don't let us stop you—continue your experiment and report back on your results, but don't get your hopes up too much.

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: BULK corn peroxide! help me! [Re: drspastic] * 1
    #25920833 - 04/07/19 10:14 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

drspastic said:

seriously though there must be some way the ecosystem around wild cubes favor them.. in many filthy parts of the world (not meant as a slur, but much heat humidity and disease) they are hardly rare.

If you want to recreate their ecological niche indoors be my guest. An entire equine field makes as much cubensis mushrooms as a couple tubs will.

--------------------

Bod's chat thread
Buy Bod a beer:

OfflinePhillyShrooms
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25921170 - 04/07/19 01:28 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Unless you are a filthy homeless person who cannot keep a clean area for inoculations and colonizations, then I would steer far away from peroxide.  By using peroxide, you are hurting the mycelium for absolutely no reason.  The only reason to use peroxide is for cobweb mold.  If you don't have cobweb mold, then it seems like an act of retardation to use peroxide.  Its like making a nice dinner and then taking a shit on that dinner before you serve it to people.

--------------------
:mushroom2::eek::mushroom2:

OfflineUncleHoyphae
Curious noob
I'm a teapot

Loc: Vietnam Flag
Re: BULK corn peroxide! help me! [Re: PhillyShrooms]
    #25921210 - 04/07/19 01:53 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

🤣

Offlinedrspastic
the good doctor
 User Gallery

Re: BULK corn peroxide! help me! [Re: UncleHoyphae]
    #25922009 - 04/07/19 11:02 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

like I said, its spare grain. fox took the last chicken months ago.

maybe I will pc some corn and try like that. what i did looks shit already.
if only big pcs were available here.
i use plastic takeaway boxes in my pc and can just about fit 4. they get enough gas exchange with no filter patches too.

I am very interested in the natural ecosystems that allow cubes to grow in the wild, i once got some pink buffalo to take in a lawn in uk, least until winter came.
in my dream world there will be a spray or shaker of all the complex microorganisms that allow cubes to proliferate.
not in reality.
its hard enough finding large containers that can handle sterilisation, boiling a pot for 2 days is not practical either.

anyone built their own pressure cooker? lol bomb more likely.

although with redundant blow off valves it might work. stainless and tig argon. the lid fitting would be the hardest part, probably would need machining on a mill or lathe, big one at that. maybe my mate who restores cracked alloy wheel hubs.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation