Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
Loc: The Depths of My Psyche
"PF Tek for Simple Minds" questions?
    #2588916 - 04/21/04 09:50 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Hey I just had a few questions about this Tek, mostly concerning the tin foil lid.

The Tek mentions nothing about loosing the lid or taking it off, so how can there be air exchange if the lids are always tightly sealed? Won?t these tight lids affect steam sterilization (the original PF Tek said the lid had to be loose) or will the heat from the steam around the jars be enough?

While should there be only 1 inch of water in the bottom of the pot of boiling water while sterilizing the jars (I have a raised compartment with holes in the bottle for steaming)?

When sterilizing the syringe needle in the alcohol flame, should you just wait until the tip is glowing red (halfway) like in the picture or the entire needle is?

Thanks for your patience,
ShroomNoob03

--------------------
In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.

-Carl Sagan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDNICEONER
Myco-botanydichotomy
Loc: Rotterdam
Re: "PF Tek for Simple Minds" questions? [Re: ShroomNoob03]
    #2589310 - 04/21/04 11:12 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

listen,.. during sterilization, you want a couple layers of tinfoil wrapped tightly around the top of the jar and coming about a half inch down around the upper glass of the jar... now you want to get a good rubber band and wrap it a couple of times around the outside of every jar lid over the foil; to make a tighter seal..... if you added the correct amount of water when making the jars, then that will be plenty.... you need a tight fit to make sure no water enters.

You want the water to come about 1/3 the way up of the jars. Pressure cook using 15psi for 60 minutes to ensure sterilization.

With the needle, get a bunch of cotton balls, and soak ball with alcohol and proceed to fully wipe the needle between each hole in the jar lids (presumably 4-5), and between each jar flame sterilize until each part of the needle turms red, (not necessarily all together). :mushroom2: When removing flame, you will see black carbon residue left on the tip. Just use another cotton ball to wipe clean. It will stay a little black, but if you rub it good, :mushroom2: it will be clean. Use new cotton balls each time you wipe the needle...
:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

--------------------
Only for those who know what they are talking about

Edited by DNICEONER (04/21/04 11:15 PM)

OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
Re: "PF Tek for Simple Minds" questions? [Re: DNICEONER]
    #2589887 - 04/22/04 04:14 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

BTW, I don't have a pressure cooker. That is why I have that special compartment for steaming. Imagine it as a small pot with holes in the bottom, that goes on top of a pot the exact same size...but no holes (with of course a lid all the way on top).

Also, I thought there wouldn't be residue on the needle if I used an alcohol flame.

Will the rubber bands stay on during sterilization?

ShroomNoob03

--------------------
In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.

-Carl Sagan

InvisibleLoki
Ferret Farmer
Trans-male User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #2589890 - 04/22/04 04:19 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, the bands will stay on, your steamer sounds fine for this tec.
alc flames can still leave a little black soot, but its nothing to worry about.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #2589891 - 04/22/04 04:20 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

>how can there be air exchange if the lids are always tightly sealed?
The aluminium lid isn?t air tight, it just shields the contents from dust, it does allow air exchange on the perimeter.

>Won?t these tight lids affect steam sterilization (the original PF Tek said the lid had
>to be loose)
No.

>or will the heat from the steam around the jars be enough?
Yes.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #2589894 - 04/22/04 04:23 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

>When sterilizing the syringe needle in the alcohol flame, should you just wait until
>the tip is glowing red (halfway) like in the picture or the entire needle is?

Halfway is plenty, the rest of the needle will also be very hot, even if its not glowing red.

OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
    #2591890 - 04/22/04 04:49 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

One last thing, when I inoculate should I remove the bands to allow more air exchange?

Edit: And can I stack jars? Will I have to increase the sterilization time?

Thanks for all the replies,
ShroomNoob03

--------------------

-Carl Sagan

Edited by ShroomNoob03 (04/22/04 04:55 PM)

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #2591921 - 04/22/04 05:01 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

"One last thing, when I inoculate should I remove the bands to allow more air exchange? "

When you innoculate?--I dont know why you would do this when you innoc,but I would leave them on to hold the lid on,and if you need to get them air all you have to do is unscrew the lid a little and leave it loose.

" And can I stack jars? Will I have to increase the sterilization time? "

yes and no

--------------------

OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
Re: "PF Tek for Simple Minds" questions? [Re: doc34]
    #2595039 - 04/23/04 01:38 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

"When you innoculate?--I dont know why you would do this when you innoc,but I would leave them on to hold the lid on,and if you need to get them air all you have to do is unscrew the lid a little and leave it loose."

What I meant to say was, when you are waiting for the cakes to colonize within the jars...should you remove the rubber bands from the jars. I'm talking about using tin foil lids by the way.

Thanks,
ShroomNoob03

--------------------

-Carl Sagan

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #2595079 - 04/23/04 01:46 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Oh,ok I understand now.I guess you would for better air exchange.(I don't really know-I dont use that method)but I assume you would though.

See I told you I didnt know! :lol:

vvvvvvv

--------------------

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Trusted Cultivator
    #2595180 - 04/23/04 02:18 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

no leave the rubber bands on the jars..... after you inoculate and replace the foil also replace the rubber bands, don't worry too much about air exchange, and don't loosen the lids, there is no need for this.

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag