Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | 194 | 195 | 196 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAdas
Lonely Dreamer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central EU
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: ttching8475] * 1
    #25889655 - 03/22/19 08:01 AM (5 years, 27 days ago)

Serbica on woodchips, Azzy spawn and flowerpot with myc reaching out. Beautiful lil ecosystem.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFerather
Mycological
Male User Gallery

Loc: United Kingdom Flag
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Adas]
    #25889752 - 03/22/19 08:53 AM (5 years, 27 days ago)

@ stevo

I read it contains Gymnopilin, but further research suggests it's probably produced as a pesticide, apparently it does have harmful effects on mammals.
They are probably no more harmful than Tarragon oyster, which contains linalool and coumarin, both also have pesticide effects.

As you said it's probably nothing, however I have heard of wood lover paralysis, hence the caution.

--------------------

Growing mushrooms, general guide and information (Ferather's Journal), https://ibb.co/rG3rML2

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27857366#27857366

DTS DCH Driver for Realtek [DTS:X] - Unlocked and reprogrammed.

OfflineMedicine-Man
Stranger
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Just_A_Noob]
    #25889757 - 03/22/19 08:59 AM (5 years, 27 days ago)

Great thread!

OfflineJakeoncid419
Follow me.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: Basel Switzerland
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Medicine-Man]
    #25889775 - 03/22/19 09:11 AM (5 years, 27 days ago)

Planting day!!!! My favorite!!

--------------------
Natural omt/detox
online  pant cult classes available last Saturday of every month go to buymeacoffee.com/jakeoncid to sign up (1 on 1 consultations also available
JOC PAN TEK
CORDYCEPS MILITARIS

EXOTICS
[

OfflineLeftSideDriver
Stranger
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: TheDuder]
    #25890383 - 03/22/19 02:42 PM (5 years, 26 days ago)

So I was going to plant my azzie patches soon.  One of my possible target locations is under a Portuguese laurel hedge.  I know some laurel like Bay Laurel is really oily and may not be a good thing to grow under.  Does anyone of know if laurel is to be avoided?

How about Ewe?  Juniper?

--------------------

OfflineSeeker2be
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: LeftSideDriver] * 1
    #25890607 - 03/22/19 04:31 PM (5 years, 26 days ago)

Just returned from a camping trip to Cape Disappointment, Azure central. I walked much of the trails and studied the natural habitat and noted very little evidence of wood chipped areas where they are said to appear.  The azures were not in season but talking to the maintenance ranger gave a lot of information. They post no mushroom picking signs when the  first fruits pop up in Dec.....arresting pickers if they are seen.
I dug up about 10 bushes of dune grass out to plant near my patches and cut a significant amount of the grass to bring home to put in my totes and observe their colonization vs other grasses and straw.

Edited by Seeker2be (03/22/19 04:33 PM)

OfflineSporeBody17
TheNewGuyโœŒ
I'm a teapot

Loc: State of Washington
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: stevo]
    #25890938 - 03/22/19 08:08 PM (5 years, 26 days ago)

What kind of mushrooms are those friend ?

--------------------
:crazy2::mushroom2:In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man..:stoned:

InvisibleMr Piggy
Big Dick Retard
 User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: SporeBody17]
    #25890992 - 03/22/19 08:53 PM (5 years, 26 days ago)

It doesn't matter what you grow them under, it only matters what you grow them on.

--------------------
๐Ÿ…ƒ๐Ÿ„ด๐Ÿ„ฐ๐Ÿ„ผ ๐Ÿ„ต๐Ÿ„พ๐Ÿ„ธ๐Ÿ„ป

OfflineLeftSideDriver
Stranger
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Mr Piggy]
    #25891351 - 03/23/19 12:38 AM (5 years, 26 days ago)

Good to know!

For Cyans, though, it seems a number if hunters in the annual thread report that the presence of cedar in areas is not a good sign.  I know they don't grow ON cedar but I was going to avoid putting a patch UNDER a cedar for this reason.  The dripping sappy business and falling cedar needles won't affect cyans or azzies?  I know doug fir is ok but I thought cedar was verboten.

OfflineSeeker2be
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: LeftSideDriver]
    #25891677 - 03/23/19 08:43 AM (5 years, 26 days ago)

Mycorhizal relationships matter whether it is roots or rot.

InvisibleMr Piggy
Big Dick Retard
 User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: LeftSideDriver]
    #25891695 - 03/23/19 09:02 AM (5 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

Seeker2be said:
Mycorhizal relationships matter whether it is roots or rot.

Incorrect, Psilocybes are not mycorrhizal. 

Quote:

LeftSideDriver said:
  The dripping sappy business and falling cedar needles won't affect cyans or azzies?  I know doug fir is ok but I thought cedar was verboten.

I think you are confused, no one has said they can't grow under a certain type of tree.  If they have, they don't know what they are talking about.  All that matters is what species of wood chips they are growing on. Broad leaf deciduous trees like alder, maple, and oak are best, but they will also readily eat up douglas fir chips as well.

--------------------

InvisibleMr Piggy
Big Dick Retard
 User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Seeker2be]
    #25891729 - 03/23/19 09:24 AM (5 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

Seeker2be said:
Just returned from a camping trip to Cape Disappointment, Azure central. I walked much of the trails and studied the natural habitat and noted very little evidence of wood chipped areas where they are said to appear.  The azures were not in season but talking to the maintenance ranger gave a lot of information. They post no mushroom picking signs when the  first fruits pop up in Dec.....arresting pickers if they are seen.
I dug up about 10 bushes of dune grass out to plant near my patches and cut a significant amount of the grass to bring home to put in my totes and observe their colonization vs other grasses and straw.

Don't pick at that park.  That's where most pickers get arrested.

Azzies tend to show up in october, not december, but I find most in november.  They like growing on the dune grass because they are lignicolous, meaning they eat lignin.  Lignin is "a complex organic polymer deposited in the cell walls of many plants, making them rigid and woody."  So they like woody grass, not lawn grass.

That's why they will readily grow on woodchips as well.  Being a home cultivator, your best bet is to grow them on chips as that will give them the most feed and area to grow.  I don't know where you picked up "they appear in chipped areas" as we all hunt them in the dunes.  Cyans appear in chips, and the chipped areas referred to are in town, not in the dunes.

--------------------

InvisibleSpacetuna
Skipper

Loc: Coastal
Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Ferather]
    #25891890 - 03/23/19 10:55 AM (5 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

Ferather said:
@ stevo

I read it contains Gymnopilin, but further research suggests it's probably produced as a pesticide, apparently it does have harmful effects on mammals.
They are probably no more harmful than Tarragon oyster, which contains linalool and coumarin, both also have pesticide effects.

As you said it's probably nothing, however I have heard of wood lover paralysis, hence the caution.

If gyms produce gymnoplin as an insecticide itโ€™s not working bugs around me love gyms.  I too love em.  Tea made with fresh fruits is one of my favorite ways to enjoy these gifts from the gods.

--------------------

OfflineSeeker2be
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Spacetuna]
    #25891938 - 03/23/19 11:23 AM (5 years, 26 days ago)

Piggy You totally misunderstood me. I was not telling people to go there or anywhere. I just went there to explore and also study the habitat. I was just stating where they grow and what they grow around there.  There is a relationship there. I know they are lignicolus as are other woodlovers. 

A quote from another site:

"Yes Azures are a bit different in their habitat. You are definitely on to something with the sandy, grass-filled dunes. In whatever ways you can replicate those conditions ... They will eat whatever they can but prefer some things over others. I'm guessing based on what you are saying that it is true they survive on decaying grass mats and other similar debris. Obviously they can tolerate woodchips but it may not be ideal... That's why i always add shredded straw to my woodlover beds in all the layers...being a grass it kind of acts the same. You could go ahead and cultivate the actual dune grass species from the area and that will be the cat's pajamas. The soil should be sandier as you mentioned and replicating what you saw in situ." 

It is sometimes fun to go to seek deeper knowledge and to toss it around by sharing observations that's what this site is for, No?

Edited by Seeker2be (03/23/19 07:26 PM)

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Mr Piggy]
    #25892153 - 03/23/19 01:32 PM (5 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

Mr Piggy said:
Quote:

LeftSideDriver said:
  The dripping sappy business and falling cedar needles won't affect cyans or azzies?  I know doug fir is ok but I thought cedar was verboten.

I think you are confused, no one has said they can't grow under a certain type of tree.  If they have, they don't know what they are talking about....

But don't some trees, such as cedar(?), have strong anti-fungal properties (particularly within their sap)?

If so...Wouldn't the sap-drippings and resinous cedar-needles falling from the tree have an impact on the growth of fungus/mushrooms beneath the tree?

-OM

--------------------

OfflineFerather
Mycological
Male User Gallery

Loc: United Kingdom Flag
    #25892160 - 03/23/19 01:37 PM (5 years, 26 days ago)

@ Spacetuna

It's more aimed at much smaller nematodes, rather than larger insects such as slugs or gnats. It would seem almost all wood loving fungi produce a pesticide, or pesticides, of some nature.
The good news is that some of these materials can-do have positive effects when taken at certain doses, much like any other material, such as vitamins or sugar.

I have noted with Tarragon oyster, which produces an aromatic scent from day 1, increases aromatic production when the media is enriched.
While the mycelium is indistinguishable from any other oyster, the scent is a dead giveaway (you can ID it by the smell).

When Mushrooms Attack -- (Weblink), note wood is low in nitrogen, high in carbon.

--------------------

Growing mushrooms, general guide and information (Ferather's Journal), https://ibb.co/rG3rML2

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27857366#27857366

DTS DCH Driver for Realtek [DTS:X] - Unlocked and reprogrammed.

Edited by Ferather (03/23/19 02:10 PM)

OfflineSeeker2be
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Ferather]
    #25892335 - 03/23/19 03:25 PM (5 years, 25 days ago)

Just an observation.  Ive looked at many cedar chip sites and have not seen many mushrooms fruiting.  I have 3 -200 year old western red cedars and in the duff will grow Chlorophyllum rachoides and lepista nuda but there is also a large hemlock in the area.  Look at all the pictures of wild finds and you will see mixed wood chips mostly if you magnify.

Edited by Seeker2be (03/23/19 03:25 PM)

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#25892675 - 03/23/19 06:55 PM (5 years, 25 days ago)

Dang, most of the spots I'd picked out to plant my patches are near cedars, hopefully its not a big deal.

I mean really from my observations the needles don't accumulate much and the sap is only going to drip right near the trunk for the most part. So long as you're not making your patches with pure cedar chips I don't see there being an issue. Even if sap did get in there you'd think it'd be a temporary setback at worst

But, if I remember, I'll report back. :lol:

OfflineSeeker2be
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #25892712 - 03/23/19 07:22 PM (5 years, 25 days ago)

Its worth a try Psilo but I wouldnt put all my eggs in one basket especially since they only produce once a year.  I did try that one year under my cedar and it didnt work but there might have been other factors.

InvisibleMr Piggy
Big Dick Retard
 User Gallery

Re: The Official Woodlovers Thread [Re: Seeker2be] * 3
    #25893532 - 03/24/19 09:50 AM (5 years, 25 days ago)

For starters, that doesn't look like European dune grass in your photos.  Do you have a more in focus picture?  You may have been checking the wrong spots.  Not harshing you, just shooting for accuracy.  We could save you a lot of time if you throw up an in focus picture of the grass you dug up.

You seem unable to differentiate between mycorrhizal and saprotrophic fungi based on this statement "Mycorhizal relationships matter whether it is roots or rot."  which is why I pointed out the difference.  Perhaps I have misunderstood you, could you elaborate on that statement?

As for people concerned about mushrooms growing under cedars, don't be.  Cedars don't "drip sap" very much, and they are not going to inhibit the growth of myc.  The myc will simply just not colonize the leaves that drop and go about it's business colonizing the rest of the chips under the tree.  I have found plenty of patches under western red cedars on chips from other trees.  It is not an issue, they just will not colonize the cedar chips or leaves themselves.

Also, red cedar ain't that anti-fungal...

Honestly, you're going to get the biggest flushes of PNW woodlovers off of woodchip beds and not dune grass.  When we cultivate we are not mimicking natural conditions, we are providing the conditions that the mushrooms respond best to.  Cubes don't grow on beds of oats and coir in their natural habitat, they just pop out of patties a couple at a time.  We grow them on grain and coir because it provides the best results.  This is why we grow wood lovers on chip beds and not on home patches of dune grass.

Lastly, if you are going to quote from another site, please provide a link.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | 194 | 195 | 196 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract