Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The bottom of the sea.
Trusted Cultivator
HEPA damage?
    #25889173 - 03/21/19 09:45 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

Hey all, I'm putting together a flow hood and today when moving the HEPA around I accidentally touched part of the pleats on the back side (oops!) and damaged them a little. You can't see super well from this picture, because I pushed them back into place but I broke through one of the pleats and damaged a few others. I've read about patching badly damaged ones with hot glue by filling the entire cell, but this doesn't seem severe enough to call for that. My question is, how badly does a HEPA need to be before it needs to be patched, does a little damaged section like this cause any issues with the filtration? For reference, the total thickness of my filter is 4.25".

--------------------
PC's LAGM 2021 (TOC & TWC)
P. natalensis Growlog 2021
Pans for PC Fall 2021 Growlog

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: HEPA damage? [Re: PitcherCrab]
    #25889209 - 03/21/19 10:04 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

In my opinion you should patch that up with silicone. It will probably cause some turbulence.

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

Offlinedlp33
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: HEPA damage? [Re: sandman420]
    #25889237 - 03/21/19 10:22 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

You can patch with hot glue or silicone, but filling the entire cell is not always necessary- the damage is seldom to the horizontal part of the filter, many times you can just patch the hole on the vertical part if that makes sense. Just make sure to check both sides and after it is patched test it under working conditions to see if you can feel increased airflow from any particular area. A patch may cause turbulence but it is the holes you can feel a difference in flow. As long as the turbulent area is well inside the laminar flow as a whole it should be ok. If you have an anemometer that is even better but you can usually discern a hole from putting your face or hand up to it.

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: HEPA damage? [Re: dlp33]
    #25889263 - 03/21/19 10:38 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

I meant the hole would cause turbulence, after patch it wont affect the flow too much. Having an area blowing much faster will make problems when you have an untended hole. Also the filter isn't 4.25" thick, it's about 1/8"-1/4" thick and folded up in an accordion to fill the frame. You've pretty much busted right through to the other side.

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #25889270 - 03/21/19 10:44 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

What ever happened with that blower mounting situation you had?

--------------------

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
    #25889305 - 03/21/19 11:12 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

sandman420 said:
I meant the hole would cause turbulence, after patch it wont affect the flow too much. Having an area blowing much faster will make problems when you have an untended hole. Also the filter isn't 4.25" thick, it's about 1/8"-1/4" thick and folded up in an accordion to fill the frame. You've pretty much busted right through to the other side.

Ah damn! Thought I was being soo careful too... :mad: So I should patch it with a bit of silicone smoothed over the damaged sections to hold it together, and that should do the trick? I really haven't messed with HEPAs before. Its made of strange material, kinda fibrous and gauzy.

Quote:

sandman420 said:
What ever happened with that blower mounting situation you had?

I decided on getting some angle aluminium and some self drilling metal screws. I'm going to mount them to the blower then to the top of my box, then use silicone to seal up any cracks. May throw some aluminium tape over the top just to be sure.

I've been so busy with work today was the first free day I had to work on my mycology stuff. I was hoping to get the flow hood done today, but didn't get started until late and I ran out of time. Got most of the box built, but ran into some tolerance issues. Should be able to finish it up in the next week or so. I'll post pictures and details of my build once I'm able to get back to it again.

--------------------

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: HEPA damage? [Re: PitcherCrab]
    #25889316 - 03/21/19 11:22 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

Hey man shit happens. I somehow damaged more than one filter before hehe. Yea the filter material is some wildly fragile and odd feeling stuff right?

Hot glue or silicone either would work fine. Hot glue may flow a little better and get in those holes easier.

--------------------

OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh

Trusted Cultivator
    #25889319 - 03/21/19 11:28 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

sandman420 said:
Hey man shit happens. I somehow damaged more than one filter before hehe. Yea the filter material is some wildly fragile and odd feeling stuff right?

Hot glue or silicone either would work fine. Hot glue may flow a little better and get in those holes easier.

Thanks for the info, you've been super helpful!  I'll update with pics etc once I've got them...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder