Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFonzee
Pretzel
 User Gallery

Loc: Israel
Questions about 4L bags of popcorn / wheat sterilization times and plastic bags for fruiting sub
    #25887206 - 03/21/19 04:25 AM (5 years, 28 days ago)

So exciting to get back to mycology and to the Shroomery :-D
I've build a nice super-tiny lab with a nice flow hood (not laminar - the whole windowed up thing) in a ~2 m^2 room.
I've been doing agar work for a few weeks now. I'm going by the simple PDA recipe - 9g agar, 6g dextrose and either 5g potato flakes or potato broth from 300g potatoes in 500ml water. I find the potato broth to make MUCH clearer agar, maybe I should boil and strain the potato flakes.
Got a good print of P. cubensis var; Orissa Indica and inoculated some plates, then started isolating the fastest and most rhizomorphic growth. I'm waiting for the 2nd isolates to grow now. They look good and my contamination ratio is around 7%, mostly because of poor agar pouring work (splashing on the lid, pour the agar too hot and create condensation etc.)
I've been making wheat spawn like I've done before, based on RR's videos for rye with no alteration. 12-24h soak - 10m boil - steam out in a strainer - 60-90m in the PC - wait for it to cool down (I try to take the extra step and cool the PC off in the flow hood)
I've been using 350-500ml jars.

Now, I want to step up my game.
I got myco bags I want to knock with g2g from the wheat spawn. They hold 4 1/4L of substrate each. That should allow me much easier work with bigger fruiting substrates.
To my understanding, more substrate volume requires more time in the PC for proper sterilization.
1. How much time should these 4 1/4L bags take in the PC?
2. Any tips on sterilizing myco bags?

Wheat is not very easy to break apart when colonized, and from seeing a friends popcorn jars a few times, it seems to me it is extremely easier to break, and it will save me a lot of hard work (I know I'm lazy).
I've read around and found that a 30m PC could substitute the soak - boil time, and that the popcorn should be dried manually and not via steaming.
3. Any ideas on that?

And lastly, I want to try coco coir or straw logs for the first time. It seems fairly straightforward, but I'm trying to find a proper plastic tubing locally.
4. Anything I should look for specifically?
5. Any recommended thickness and diameter?

Thanks a ton and wish me luck :discorex:
-Fonzee

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFonzee
Pretzel
 User Gallery

Re: Questions about 4L bags of popcorn / wheat sterilization times and plastic bags for fruiting sub [Re: Fonzee]
    #25897522 - 03/26/19 08:04 AM (5 years, 23 days ago)

Bump, and a picture for good measures

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Questions about 4L bags of popcorn / wheat sterilization times and plastic bags for fruiting sub [Re: Fonzee]
    #25897598 - 03/26/19 08:47 AM (5 years, 23 days ago)

1. 3-4 hours @ 15psi
2. no
3. Add gypsum to your grains in simmer
4/5. 18" 4 mil poly tubing makes a roughly 12" diameter log

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

OfflineFonzee
Pretzel
 User Gallery

Re: Questions about 4L bags of popcorn / wheat sterilization times and plastic bags for fruiting sub [Re: sandman420]
    #25898002 - 03/26/19 12:43 PM (5 years, 22 days ago)

Thanks a lot for your input!

1. Does it matter if it is popcorn or wheat?

3. I regularly add 15ml gypsum per 1 kg of dry grains, per RR's instructions
4/5. I'll look it up and hope the local plastic bags manufacturer makes them.

Thanks again :-D

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds