Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBBBlack
Modular, Cancel, The color grey
 User Gallery
Another "what's wrong with my oats?!" thread
    #25885539 - 03/20/19 10:58 AM (5 years, 9 days ago)

Since I've switched to oats I've never felt fully satisfied with the appearance of my mycelium. Cubes. It doesn't look as healthy to me as it should. I think it's at least partially due to the extra water that oats seem to hold, perhaps under their hulls. I drain as well as I can but every time they come out looking like the photos indicate. They don't look terrible and I plan to spawn these anyway, but I'm just wondering what if any advice the oat folks might be able to share. I've had plenty of success with rye before this, so I'm not chocking all of my questionable results to bacteria... but I'm sure it's a possible factor.

Thanks everyone.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblenulls
Male User Gallery

Re: Another "what's wrong with my oats?!" thread [Re: BBBlack]
    #25885605 - 03/20/19 11:32 AM (5 years, 9 days ago)

Complete noob here, but my first batch of oats look like that. The second, I dried out for 4 hours with fanning, and a lot of sifting. Even after PCing, I had a bit of excess, but a few shakes later it was moistly gone. My third batch, I dried overnight and still had a tiny bit of excess initially after PC, but it really looks great now and the myc are really stretching out and looking a more intense white from what I assume to be less moisture.

InvisibleBoogieman47
Let's boogie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under your bed Flag
Re: Another "what's wrong with my oats?!" thread [Re: nulls]
    #25885622 - 03/20/19 11:41 AM (5 years, 9 days ago)

I dont think its bacterial .. I mean maybe a little but looks like the grains are super wet and you need to allow more time to dry.. oats are funny cause of that hull/husk on there

--------------------

OfflineJoeyddr
What's goin on?
Male User Gallery

Re: Another "what's wrong with my oats?!" thread [Re: Boogieman47]
    #25885726 - 03/20/19 12:54 PM (5 years, 9 days ago)

Those look ok to me.... i spawned these not long ago and were fine

here is one a little while after i put agar in it.

And this one I spawned with another and it's on its second flush.

Edited by Joeyddr (03/20/19 12:57 PM)

OfflineBBBlack
 User Gallery
Re: Another "what's wrong with my oats?!" thread [Re: Joeyddr]
    #25885746 - 03/20/19 01:11 PM (5 years, 9 days ago)

Thanks guys.

I don't think mine are necessarily doomed, but they just don't remind me of my work with rye. Thanks for sharing those photos, Joey. I've searched for colonized oat photos on google and indeed some are very wispy-looking much like my own. But, you can't argue with the fact that they are a little too wet - it's clear to see. I'll get these going and see what happens.

OfflineJoeyddr
What's goin on?
Male User Gallery

#25885760 - 03/20/19 01:17 PM (5 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

BBBlack said:
Thanks guys.

I don't think mine are necessarily doomed, but they just don't remind me of my work with rye. Thanks for sharing those photos, Joey. I've searched for colonized oat photos on google and indeed some are very wispy-looking much like my own. But, you can't argue with the fact that they are a little too wet - it's clear to see. I'll get these going and see what happens.

After i strain mine for about 2hrs i then put them on trays and layer them in between paper towels and give them a good press, when they are in the jars on their own they appear dry, but then after the myc colonizes and after i shake them the jars look too wet but so far been fine.

--------------------

OfflineBBBlack
 User Gallery
Re: Another "what's wrong with my oats?!" thread [Re: Joeyddr]
    #25887602 - 03/21/19 09:45 AM (5 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Joeyddr said:
Quote:

BBBlack said:
Thanks guys.

After i strain mine for about 2hrs i then put them on trays and layer them in between paper towels and give them a good press, when they are in the jars on their own they appear dry, but then after the myc colonizes and after i shake them the jars look too wet but so far been fine.

I know what you mean - right out of the PC they look perfect and dry, but then the moisture seems to creep out of them as colonization takes place. I'll try being more thorough in my drying/straining process. Again, I appreciate the input.

InvisibleMad Season
hookers and blackjack
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Another "what's wrong with my oats?!" thread [Re: BBBlack] * 1
    #25887618 - 03/21/19 09:52 AM (5 years, 8 days ago)

Get a window screen strainer. Point a fan on them on the strainer. Shit works great.

--------------------
contam and car window art
How to shroomery like a pro! (Seriously, everyone read this!)
Improve your sterile techniques! (A comprehensive guide to agar)
Links upon links of literally EVERYTHING UP TO DATE

AMU Q&A
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

OfflineBBBlack
 User Gallery
Re: Another "what's wrong with my oats?!" thread [Re: Mad Season]
    #25888382 - 03/21/19 03:18 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Mad Season said:
Get a window screen strainer. Point a fan on them on the strainer. Shit works great.

Thanks for the tip. A strainer with more surface area has always seemed like a better idea than my three little kitchen colanders that mound the grains all together.

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #25888638 - 03/21/19 05:18 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

Water doesn't drip through a window screening when it is the last little bit of water. Too much surface tension or some shit. A decent amount will just pool up and refuse to go through the screen underneath your grains.

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

InvisibleBoogieman47
Let's boogie
Male User Gallery

Re: Another "what's wrong with my oats?!" thread [Re: sandman420] * 2
    #25888642 - 03/21/19 05:21 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

I agree that it does.. but if you spread the grain out evenly that doesnt matter the grain will dry

--------------------

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Another "what's wrong with my oats?!" thread [Re: Boogieman47] * 1
    #25888669 - 03/21/19 05:33 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

here's what you crave for excellence in straining. Available at big asian supermarkets if you can find one.

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

OfflineBBBlack
 User Gallery
Re: Another "what's wrong with my oats?!" thread [Re: sandman420]
    #25888713 - 03/21/19 05:55 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

sandman420 said:

here's what you crave for excellence in straining. Available at big asian supermarkets if you can find one.

Nice! Gigantic strainer is now on the list. Thanks, sandman.

InvisibleBoogieman47
Let's boogie
Male User Gallery

#25888731 - 03/21/19 06:03 PM (5 years, 8 days ago)

Yeah those are bad ass I used to rock 66qt sgfc to strain my grain

--------------------

OfflineBBBlack
 User Gallery
    #25889716 - 03/22/19 08:33 AM (5 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Boogieman47 said:
Yeah those are bad ass I used to rock 66qt sgfc to strain my grain

Also a cool idea. Did 1/4" holes not allow too much grain loss? Thinking about it, I'm sure it'd be minimal.

InvisibleBoogieman47
Let's boogie
Male User Gallery

#25889881 - 03/22/19 10:04 AM (5 years, 7 days ago)

If you're using bigger grain like oats or wheat ect..the 1/4" makes it perfect for straining

--------------------

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #25889916 - 03/22/19 10:26 AM (5 years, 7 days ago)

Wish I could find an online source for the huge strainers but there's just too much other strainers out there to find these huge ones, for me at least. They have gotta be available somewhere on the net. They only cost me $15 at my local Asian supermarket. Maybe someone with better google fu could find them online.

Drilling a few thousand holes in a tote is likely to crack it, or it might crack afterwords when it's full of grain making a huge mess and waste of time and energy. You could melt them but then expose yourself to fumes and it's still way inferior to a proper strainer. The bottoms of totes are not flat and not concave either, they are a mess of shapes. If you really can't find a big strainer a better choice would be a laundry utility tub, the round ones with rope handles. Still cracks very easily drilling so you would want to melt the holes. Will take a lot of time and still be inferior.

1/4" holes are waaaay to big and will let a lot of grain through. These strainers have like 1/8" holes and a little bit of grain still comes through but not much.

--------------------

InvisibleBoogieman47
Let's boogie
Male User Gallery

Re: Another "what's wrong with my oats?!" thread [Re: sandman420] * 1
    #25889936 - 03/22/19 10:36 AM (5 years, 7 days ago)

If you're using wbs yes but I'm telling you I strained tons of oats through my 1/4" drilled holes and they did just fine..

I'm not the type of person to just talk out of my ass with something I have no experience with what you are doing is speculating on shit that you think may or may not work ... the sgfc is not the best I have used but it works without any issues ... I will agree that your strainer idea probably is a good thing to get ..  but at least in my case I run 50# bags at a time and dont want to have 5 of those strainers so I make what I can that will work for my needs..

--------------------

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Another "what's wrong with my oats?!" thread [Re: Boogieman47] * 1
    #25890006 - 03/22/19 11:14 AM (5 years, 7 days ago)

Yea sgfc does work really well but i like the surface area of multiple colanders

InvisibleBoogieman47
Let's boogie
Male User Gallery

Re: Another "what's wrong with my oats?!" thread [Re: bodhisatta] * 2
    #25890054 - 03/22/19 11:36 AM (5 years, 7 days ago)

Yeah I always hated using colander pretty much do to space .. I usually always load a bit wet anyway after soaking so I dont really need to get things super dry .. I just have my grain soak down and know what is about right ...

18x14 screen mesh in my case works great now

I am changing it there is not enough support with just the 2 fence posts

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains