Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDamn
Psychonaut
 User Gallery

if the glass on your fishtank heater cracks..
    #2586495 - 04/21/04 10:26 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

iis it still usable? its just a smal lcrack, about an inch long

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineexan
Experimenter

Loc: Finland
Re: if the glass on your fishtank heater cracks.. [Re: Damn]
    #2586513 - 04/21/04 10:33 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

if water gets in it u can cause a fire but thats about it lol :smile:

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #2586524 - 04/21/04 10:38 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

My heater cracked after an airstone melted on it, it worked for about 5 more months but then called it quits.

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Loc: Throughout the world
    #2586540 - 04/21/04 10:47 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

It may be able to continue working,but just think about it.Are you home 24/7 while the heater is running?Probbaly not,and if water gets in there Electricity and water dont mix very well,especially when there is lots of fuel for the fire right above it.
Like YidakiMan said it may still work for months,but i for one wouldnt leave a faulty electric device plugged in and submerged in water when i wasnt home or sleeping.
Just buy a new one,is it worth the risk of losing your home or peoples lives?Homes burn down from less than that.

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: if the glass on your fishtank heater cracks.. [Re: ButterNut]
    #2586556 - 04/21/04 10:51 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

It won't cause a fire. The most it will do is blow a fuse or trip your breaker. If no water is leaking in you will probably be fine just don't pull your heater out of the water and then replace it back in cold water or dump cold water into the already existing water. These rapid temp changes will make it worse.

Peace - @cro

--------------------

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Re: if the glass on your fishtank heater cracks.. [Re: @cro]
    #2586566 - 04/21/04 10:53 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

You can feel free to take that chance,I think it is silly.A fish tank heater is not a big expense,why take the chance.If theres even the slightest chance that you could hurt your home or your family,why do it?I would just get a new one.

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
    #2586625 - 04/21/04 11:20 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

The point is there isn't a chance...
I've had this same problem happen to me, the heater filled up with water and Nothing.
Heater just stopped working after that, guessing a fuse blew when water came in contact with the filament.
Even if there isn't a fuse built into the heater, the worst that will happen is the circuit the heater is on will trip. Unless your fire alarms are on that circuit and a fire happens to start somewhere else in your house at that time, there isn't a risk.
Leave the heater unplugged in a jar of water for a while see if water seeps in... if it does, well you need a new heater anyways, if not just take extra care with it... More than likely the crack will expand over time from changing temps and you will need to replace it anyways but it should be good for a while.

--------------------

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Re: if the glass on your fishtank heater cracks.. [Re: @cro]
    #2586645 - 04/21/04 11:26 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I think a safer bit of advice to give would be,when you had this problem it didnt cause a fire for you.How can you say its safe based on the one time you speak of.
As i said you may very well be 100% correct,but why risk it.A heater doesnt cost hardly anything.
I am not disagreeing with what your saying,only saying that 1 example doesnt make it a standard.Im wouldnt be willing to bet my kids life on it.

--------------------

OfflineDerek
    #2586698 - 04/21/04 11:46 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, there is little to no chance of anything happenning with a cracked heater.

Experience though, has always taught me, many times the hard way, that it is always, always better to be safe than sorry.

Your heater might just stop working, you might just trip the breaker.

Or, your breaker could jam, or you might have faulty in-wall wiring, or your flammable cat might be licking your freshly urinated on incubator the insant it shorts, or whatever the hell you can imagine.

The point is, there's a million variables you can't control, and a few that you can, the reason of having a brain is to avoid unecessary risks, and to lower your probabilites of failure, catastrophic or not.

Just because others that drink and drive,without seatbelts, in the rain, without their prescription glasses, tell you that they're still alive doesn't mean its a safe or reasonable decision.

In the end though, everyone does whatever they want to do, thats what lets the rest of us enjoy reading up on the darwin awards.

OfflineNoG
journeyman

Re: if the glass on your fishtank heater cracks.. [Re: Derek]
    #2588324 - 04/21/04 07:48 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

one of the most basic thinks you learn in todays world is water and electricity dont mix.

ive known that since i was like 4 or 5

damaged heater = new heater simple as that.

Later NoG

OfflineRoyale

Loc: Bend Over And I'll Show Y...
    #2588432 - 04/21/04 08:11 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

You can not predict what will happen with water and electricity. Yes, it should just blow a fuse or a breaker. SHOULD. But a heater costs about 20 dollars. I would just buy a new one.

--------------------
"Burnin', I feel a burnin' in my stomach
I wanna' know if I'm a gonna make it
If I don't just spread my ashes
If I do just spread your mind"
~~~~~~PRIMUS~~~~~~

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2588966 - 04/21/04 10:01 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Well if you don?t mind spending about 40 bucks you can get one of these. They have a remote sensor that goes by the temp inside the incubator rather then the surrounding water so there is no guess work. The temp readout is digital and the temp can be controlled by a knob under the temp readout so you don?t have to open the incubator to adjust the temp and read it.

Last the part that is usually glass is made of titanium so it won?t break with old age or if a accident happens.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder